At 11:54 PM 12/7/00, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Linux today monitors this list.  Some public education may be the best
>route.  How do we post a security advisory warning people that will get
>posted?  I'm sure folks see the DANGEROUS comments, but they don't seem
>to stick in their heads.  Then they get themselves into trouble, and
>fortunately for them, I'm around.  I am just concerned about the scope
>of the black eye that will just keep getting bigger and bigger for Linux
>NTFS.

FWIW, Mandrake Linux includes a tool MandrakeUpdate which allows
downloading of "Normal Updates" or "Development Updates".  If you chose
Devel Upd, you get the following warning:

         Caution !  These packages are NOT well tested.
         You really can screw up your system
         by installing them.

Perhaps the configure tools could recognize a DANGEROUS status (or keyword
or ???) and would display such a message ...

David