On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Magnus Damm wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
> <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Magnus Damm wrote:
> >> Can you please test on your Migo-R board? I'd be happy to assist you
> >> in setting up your environment.
> >
> > I did test it and it worked - exactly as you say - with the entire patch
> > stack + v2 of "soc-camera: convert to platform device," the only
> > difference that I can see so far, is that I used modules. So, you can
> > either look in dmesg for driver initialisation whether ov772x and tw9910
> > have found theit i2c chips, or just wait until I test a monolitic build
> > myself. It can be problematic if the i2c-host driver initialises too
> > late... If you want to test a modular build it would be enough to just
> > have sh_mobile_ceu_camera.ko as a module, the rest can stay built in.
>
> I prefer to wait then. Please consider the built-in case broken.
>
> Usually I get some output similar to this during boot:
>
> camera 0-0: SuperH Mobile CEU driver attached to camera 0
> camera 0-0: ov7725 Product ID 77:21 Manufacturer ID 7f:a2
> camera 0-0: SuperH Mobile CEU driver detached from camera 0
>
> But with the "convert to platform device" patch appied I see nothing like
> that.
>
> The migor_defconfig should give you the static non-module
> configuration that is broken.

Ok, static build is indeed broken. The reason is the wrong initialisation
order. First, internally we have to link camera host drivers after camera
device drivers, that's easy. But unfortunately that alone doesn't help.
The second problem is that i2c is linked after media, or, maybe rather
media is linked before i2c. Currently in drivers/Makefile "media" is on
the same line as "base" and "block", way before IDE, ATA, SCSI, firewire,
mtd, spi, usb, input... Is there a reason for that? Mauro, would anything
break if we move it down right after i2c? Another hackish interim solution
would be to replace module_init with subsys_init in i2c-sh_mobile.c like
some other i2c adapters do (including MXC, PXA). That's certainly easier,
but then we'd also have to modify i2c-imx, later maybe i2c-at91.c...

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.