On Thursday 21 January 2010 03:46:05 Brandon Philips wrote:
> On 00:07 Thu 21 Jan 2010, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Brandon Philips wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a small script I used to convert the history of libv4l to
> > > git. Let me know when we are ready to drop them from the hg tree
> > > and I can do the conversion and post the result for review.
> > >
> > > This is the result from the script for just libv4l:
> > >  http://ifup.org/git/?p=libv4l.git;a=summary
> >
> > Seems fine, but we need to import the entire v4l2-apps.
>
> Yes, I know. I will run the script over v4l2-apps to generate a git
> repo once v4l2-apps is ready to be dropped from v4l-dvb mercurial and
> we figure out the directory layout.
>
> Doing it before is just a waste of time since they will get out of
> sync.
>
> > > Also, I suggest we call the repo v4lutils? In the spirit of
> > > usbutils, pciutils, etc.
> >
> > Hmm... as dvb package is called as dvb-utils, it seems more logical to call
> > it
> > v4l2-utils, but v4l2utils would equally work.
>
> Yes, that is fine.
>
> > IMO, the better is to use v4l2 instead of just v4l, to avoid causing
> > any mess with the old v4l applications provided with xawtv.
>
> The problem I saw was that libv4l1 will be in v4l2-utils. I don't care
> either way though.
>
> So here is how I see v4l-utils.git being laid out based on what others
> have said:
>
>  libv4l1/
>  libv4l2/
>  libv4lconvert/
>  test/
>  v4l2-dbg/
>  contrib/
>   qv4l2-qt3/
>   qv4l2-qt4/
>   cx25821/
>   etc... everything else

Hmm. I think I would prefer to have a structure like this:

lib/
        libv4l1/
        libv4l2/
        libv4lconvert/
utils/
        v4l2-dbg
        v4l2-ctl
        cx18-ctl
        ivtv-ctl
contrib/
        test/
        everything else

And everything in lib and utils can be packaged by distros, while contrib
is not packaged.

What would also be nice is if this project http://v4l-test.sourceforge.net/
could eventually be merged in v4l2-apps.

> Are there things in v4l2-apps that should be imported?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean.