On Mon, 31 May 2010, Ondrej Zary wrote:

> On Sunday 30 May 2010 23:58:11 Andy Walls wrote:

> > > Modified that utility to work on raw video frame extracted from usbsnoop
> > > file. The bad news is that the resulting jpeg file is not readable.
> > >
> > > I also deleted the sp5x_32.dll file and the camera still works...
> >
> > I would try extracting a JPEG header from one of the files captured by
> > the camera in stand alone mode (either a JPEG still or MJPEG file), and
> > put that header together with the image data from the USB capture.  It
> > may not look perfect, but hopefully you will get something you
> > recognize.
>
> Just thought about the same thing so I uploaded a video file:
> http://www.rainbow-software.org/linux_files/spca1528/sunp0003.avi
>
> > Attached was Theodore's first attempt of such a procedure with a header
> > extracted from a standalone image file from my Jeilin based camera and
> > USB snoop data from the same camera.  It wasn't perfect, but it was
> > recognizable.
>
> Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> > I did look at the image data file Jean-Francois provided from your
> > usbsnoop logs.  To my eye the data looks like it is Huffman coded
> > (indicating JPEG).  Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

Naturally, it makes me feel all excited to see my name in print. If anyone
likes, you can send me the following:

        -- usbsniff output for one or two frames (it isn't so difficult
for me to convert this to a binary file, actually) and I can fool around
with trying to stick a JPEG header on it.

        -- one or two results of svv -gr in case that there is so much
progress already. But the previous item ought to do just fine, too.

I could also comment that there could be some kind of obfuscated JPEG
going on here. As a case in point I can mention the recently cracked
decompression for the JL2005B/C/D based still cameras. The compression
algorithm is pretty much standard JPEG, but two things are unusual. First,
the compression or decompression proceeds down columns of width one block,
not across rows. Second, the thing which is being compressed is the Bayer
pattern, so each block is of width 16, not 8, and there are sub-blocks for
each of R, G1, G2, and B.

If anyone is curious about this, the code can be pulled down from
gphoto.svn.sourceforge.net, in trunk/libgphoto2/camlibs/jl2005c.

Theodore Kilgore