Hi Hans,

On Saturday 05 March 2011 17:02:13 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Monday, February 28, 2011 19:12:00 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Monday 28 February 2011 19:03:39 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > On Monday, February 28, 2011 18:11:47 Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> > [snip]

> > > In no particular order:
> > >
> > > 1) pipeline configuration, cropping and scaling:
> > >
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg27956.html
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg26630.html
> > >
> > > 2) HDMI API support
> > >
> > > Some hotplug/CEC code can be found here:
> > >
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg28549.html
> > >
> > > but Cisco will soon post RFCs on this topic as well.
> > >
> > > 3) Snapshot functionality.
> > >
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg28192.html
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg28490.html
> > >
> > > If we finish quicker than expected, then we can also look at this:
> > >
> > > - use of V4L2 as a frontend for SW/DSP codecs
> >
> > In still no particular order:
> >  - Muxed formats (H.264 inside MJPEG)
> >  - H.264
> >  - Buffers pool
> >  - Entity information ioctl
>
> Can you elaborate on this one?

Some drivers (namely the uvcvideo driver) will need to report driver-specific
information about each entity (the UVC entity GUID, the UVC controls it
supports, ...). We need an API for that.

> >  - Userspace drivers (OMX)
>
> And this one?

This is a follow-up of the "v4l2 vs omx for camera" discussion. I'd like to
discuss whether we need an API for userspace drivers, like OMX has.

> >  - Sensor blanking/pixel-clock/frame-rate settings (including
> >
> > enumeration/discovery)
> >
> >  - GL/ES in V4L2 devices
>
> And this one?

Devices are becoming hybrid. GPUs are supported through DRM and OpenGL
(OpenGL/ES is embedded devices), and video output with V4L2. What about a
video output device with OpenGL/ES capabilities ? We'll need to think about it
at some point.

Laurent Pinchart