Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Sakari,

Hi,

> On Tuesday 05 April 2011 13:21:03 Sakari Ailus wrote:
>> Laurent Pinchart wrote:

>>> Why not ? I think we need two timeouts, a watchdog timeout to prevent
>>> flash fire or meltdown, and a normal timeout to lit the flash for a
>>> user-selected duration.
>>
>> Let's assume that an application wants to expose a frame using flash
>> with software strobe.
>>
>> 1. strobe flash
>> 2. qbuf
>> 3. streamon
>> 4. dqbuf
>> 5. streamoff
>> 6. ...
>>
>> How does an application know how long is the time between 1 -- 4? I'd
>> guess that in 6 the application would like to switch off the flash
>> instead of specifying a timeout for it.
>
> That's a valid use case, and we need to support it. It requires a way to lit
> the flash with no timeout other than the watchdog timeout, and a way to turn
> it off.
>
> However, I'm not sure we should rule out the usefulness of a duration-based
> software flash strobe. Can't the two APIs coexist ? Or do you think a
> duration-based API is useless ?

I don't want to rule it out, but I don't see use for it either for the
time being and thus don't see a reason to specify an API for it. The
adp1653 driver does not implement a software based shutdown timeout and
I'm not aware of others implementing it either. It was just an idea to
overcome the coarse hardware watchdog timeout.

If there is use for it then I think we could bring up the question
again: use V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT or create V4L2_CID_FLASH_DURATION for it.

What do you think?

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ai...@maxwell.research.nokia.com