ok, looks like the patch has fixed the issue in my initial response,
but now i've got a new issue (related?) when i reboot - the
dvb-usb-af9015 module is not being loaded.

if i try to modprobe it (sudo modprobe dvb-usb-af9015), then i get the error:
FATAL: Error inserting dvb_usb_af9015
(/lib/modules/2.6.38-12-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-af9015.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg |tail:
[  170.406969] dvb_usb_af9015: Unknown parameter `adapter'

thats the only 2 lines related to the issue.

what i did was apply the patch that Malcolm sent to me, and then
rebooted. af9015 still not working, so removed USB device and
reinserted. tuner now worked flawlessly.
gave the PC a reboot, and now i've got the above error.

any ideas?