On 15 November 2011 22:35, Tim Draper <veeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> still on 2.6.38-12-generic. i've ensured auto-updates are disabled so
>>> it should be in the same state as it when it was working.
>>> worth re-applying the update/patch? i presume i just need to make &&
>>> make install again...?
>>
>> Sounds like some of the file in the kernel modules were not updated.
>>
>> Did you remain as the home user during all the all stages of the build,
>> patch and make?
>>
>> ...and only became root in the install
>> sudo make install
>>
>> If this is the case then it is better to do
>> make distclean
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> If not, and they are mixed root and user.
>> sudo make distclean
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>

> done, no change.
> i've also one the distclean, wiped the v4l git clone, and re-obtained
> it, following the instructions you gave to me the other day.
> i can confirm that i've done make, and then sudo make install, rather
> than sudo the entire process.
>
> also, i've done this without the tuner stick inserted (no tuner cards
> present) and i'm still getting the issue.
>
>> In
>> /lib/modules/2.6.38-12-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb
>>
>> All the modules in this directory should have the same date as the ones
>> in the media_build/v4l directory.
>>
> i presume you mean ls -l, as ln is for symbolic links :)
> if so, the dvb-usb-af9015.ko file size is different - 55k in v4l, and
> 590k in modules directory. timestamps are the same though. many other
> files show similar results - filesize is different, but timestamps
> seem to be ok.
>

>> However, the fact it was working and then not is a little puzzling.
>
> i agree, it is a little weird.
> also, sorry for emailing you directly Malcolm, my gmail doesn't seem
> to like this ML and is doing some weird things when replying.
>
> thanks again.

ohhh, what an idiot i am. it's a user error, in the form of a typo!
because i have multiple tuners, and there is a race condition for
adapter number assignment when the server gets rebooted, i've had to
create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ to define adapters.
incorrect: 'options dvb_usb_af9015 adapter nr=0,1'
correct: 'options dvb_usb_af9015 adapter_nr=0,1' (note the underscore
between 'adapter' and 'nr')

completely forgot i had configured that!
so, back to a working state! :)