From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 11:40:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Hardwick) wrote:

[snip]

>Please let me know what you are all using for usenet reading?

Agent (1.11/32) running under wine on linux.

Norman

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lib-ncurses version 2 on SuSE60
Date: 3 Jan 1999 14:15:10 GMT

Michael Hammann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,

> are there any possibilities to install an 'old' version of ncurses
> parallel to a newer version like this on SuSE60? I have a program
> (MicroStation95) which search for a libncurses version 2. a symbolic
> link didn't help! What can I do?

That would work - but you should verify that the shared libraries do
not conflict.  Very old versions of ncurses do not build the shared
library with the -lc linker option, so applications built on top of
that may be confused unless you add that option.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Jackson)
Subject: Error trying to compile new kernel 2.0.36
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 13:26:34 GMT

I am trying to recompile kernel 2.0.36 on a relatively new RH5.2
installation.
I've downloaded the kernel source and decompressed it to
/usr/src/linux. and made sure that the header files listed below exist
in the /usr/src/linux/include/ASM,LINUX,SCSI directories and that
symlinks from /usr/include point to them.  I don't think the answer to
my problem is a difficult one but I can't seem to find it the README
or kernel-howto.

I can run "make mrproper " with no problems and I can run "make
config" as well.
I can't run "make xconfig".  When I try I get the following error

[root@localhost /root]# cd /usr/src/linux
[root@localhost linux]# make xconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts kconfig.tk
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
make -C /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound mkscript
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound'
Compiling Sound Driver v 3.5.5-beta1 for Linux
rm -f configure
gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -o configure configure.c
configure.c:19: stdio.h: No such file or directory
configure.c:20: unistd.h: No such file or directory
configure.c:21: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
configure.c:22: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
configure.c:23: string.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [mkscript] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound'
make[1]: *** [soundscript] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
[root@localhost linux]#

Likewise, when I try and run "make dep" I get the test below

[root@localhost linux]# cd /usr/src/linux
[root@localhost linux]# make dep
gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
scripts/mkdep.c:1: stdio.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:2: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:4: string.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:5: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:6: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:7: unistd.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:8: sys/fcntl.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c:9: sys/mman.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1
[root@localhost linux]#

Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Johnj...........

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Destrius)
Subject: Re: Q1:Posts Q2:Infection?
Date: 3 Jan 1999 14:21:42 GMT

...and it was written on the heavens that on Fri, 01 Jan 1999 20:51:06 +0900,
 the entity named jose ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 inscribed the following words in comp.os.linux.misc:

-clip-
>Before that, the  posts are before 10/23/97.  So, I am curious if this
>actually
>makes it to the newsgroup.
-clip-

I see it.

-clip-
>When running Linux for days (running experiments with neural networks...)
>a background process with "find" begins around 4:45 am.  Does anyone else
>get something like this?  I have installed LOTS of stuff, including software
>for Hangul (Korean) and Japanese writing.  I found this place (www.avpve.com)
>for virus info but they don't mention anything similar to what I am having.
>And yes, I do usually run everything as root (I know I shouldn't, but I have
>never read of anyone getting infected under Linux).  I will definately
>practice  safe computing after this!
-clip-

That's cron at work. Your distribution has probably scheduled mainatinence
programs such as updatedb to run at that time, because it's usually when
the system its idle and thus time can be spent "cleaning up" and some other
stuff.

-clip-
>(In case anyone was wondering, this year is the year of the rabbit)
-clip-

Not until February at least. It's still Tiger.

--
+-------------------+--<Linux>--<Emacs>--<GNU>--<BMS>---------------------+
| Destrius Dragon   | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=-                                    |

------------------------------

From: Zoltan Kocsi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: 02 Jan 1999 13:51:49 +1100

Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> themselves -- they push the problem off on someone else.  It's
> particularly pathetic in linux newsgroups, since everyone running
> linux has the ability to filter spam with procmail.

Yup, immediatelly after you downloaded it. Connection time costs money,
you know. Spam also wastes disk space at the ISP, bandwidth, resources
on my machines, it wastes my time and so on,
I do not like downloading 1M junk with Windows binaries to read 20K mail.
I don't have a 24/7 10M link for flat monthly fee yet so I - pathetic or
not - do not like huge messages which I pay for before discarding them
unread.

> Munging addresses does nothing to reduce the actual volume of spam on
> the net.  It just makes inconvenience for other users.

It *does* reduce the actual volume. When they try to connect to the fake
address, they only waste net resources that are needed to get a failed
name lookup. They do not waste network resources to send their 200K
make-money-fast-by-bulk-email-send-50-dollars-now junk.

I have an other email address, which I very infrequently use but 3 years
ago I posted some usenet articles from there. Since then I receive junk
mail on that address. The amount has decreased significantly in the past
years but it is still reasonably high.

Please do not press Reply.
As you may have guessed, the From: address is invalid, real address is
in the sig ...

Zoltan

| ** To reach me write to zoltan in the domain of bendor com au ** |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Zoltan Kocsi                   |   I don't believe in miracles   |
| Bendor Research Pty. Ltd.      |   but I rely on them.           |
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Destrius)
Date: 3 Jan 1999 14:21:40 GMT

...and it was written on the heavens that on 01 Jan 1999 21:26:14 -0800,
 the entity named Michael Powe ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 inscribed the following words in comp.os.linux.misc:

-clip-
>There's really no excuse for any linux user to not be using procmail
>to sort spam.  There at least 1/2 dozen prebuilt "spam fighter" setups
>available.  You don't have to be a tech genius to use them.
-clip-

I use procmail with anti-spam recipies, but still munge my address. Why?
Because even if spam gets deleted automatically, it still reaches my
system, and uses up net bandwidth. That costs money. For me, not the
spammer. So procmail only saves me the trouble of deleting spam, and not
the problem of wasting money.

--
+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

From: Ian Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to turn off modem speaker in ppp
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 15:10:49 +0000

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "H.T. Sun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>writes:
> >  Does anybody know what command in the ppp script in
> >  order to turn the speaker of my modem ?
>
> It is an AT command to your modem. Put it in the chat expect/send
> script. ATM0 is the usual command

And (thanks to a recent reply to a posting of my own) L1 instead of M0 turns the volume
down, but doesn't lose it completely.

-- Ian --

------------------------------

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling kernel - Error
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:00:55 GMT

Merzinger Markus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!

> I have Suse 5.3 and tried to recompile my kernel for serveral times. The
> result was always a compile error while "make zImage". Some time ago I
> had more luck!

> I think my ".config" file and the sources are a little bit scrambled.

> Has anybody a idea what I have to reinstall to get a working .config and
> sources?

What exactly is the error?

Christopher Mauritz

From: Chris Mauritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Process refuses to die
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:00:05 GMT

Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Werner wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried "kill -9 PID_of_offender"?  That outta do in most any
>> errant process.

> Yep, that did the trick, the -9 sorted it out. I did try a bunch of the
> identifiers, but I guess I must have missed 9 out. Cheers for the
> advice.

The "with extreme prejudice" -9 switch usually does the trick unless
the system is catatonic.  I usually like the Medea approach (kill yourself
and your children) and use -15.  8-)

Chris
--
Christopher Mauritz

From: Ian Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another stupid WP8 question
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 15:20:55 +0000

Tazman37 wrote:

>     I sucessfully downloaded and renamed the wp8 large file. Gunzipped and
> untarred the tarball and got the directories installed properly (I think).
> The problem is, I can't figure out how to RUN the damn thing!
>                 I have tried all the executables in shbin, etc but would
> like to know how to get an icon on desktop and run program. I will use any
> method I have to to get it to run, but need to know how! none of the
> doucmentation has showed me this and I have read it all to my knowledge.
>
> Art Armfield
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm a bit new to all this, but I got WP8 running a couple of days ago, and I
recall it went something like:
* I installed WP to directory of my choice
* from an xterm, I ran WP using the full path name
* I dragged the WP icon to the icon dock in WindowMaker

I don't know how it might differ in other window managers, but I hope this
helps.

Good luck!

-- Ian --

------------------------------

From: Wayne Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rpm not working
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:19:55 +0200

Hi

I'm running Redhet 5.1 and when I try to install any program with rpm it
comes back to tell me that the program can not be installed. I tried to
update the rpm files with the updated rpm-2_5_3-5_1_i386.rpm and it
gives me the same error message. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks
Wayne

------------------------------

From: "Tazman37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Another stupid WP8 question
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:28:33 -0500

Hey people-
                  I KNOW this has been posted here before, but my dang isp
removes messages so fast (check the header if you wish) I couldn't get back
to it.
    I sucessfully downloaded and renamed the wp8 large file. Gunzipped and
untarred the tarball and got the directories installed properly (I think).
The problem is, I can't figure out how to RUN the damn thing!
                I have tried all the executables in shbin, etc but would
like to know how to get an icon on desktop and run program. I will use any
method I have to to get it to run, but need to know how! none of the
doucmentation has showed me this and I have read it all to my knowledge.
    Any help appreciated.

Art Armfield
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!

------------------------------

From: Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.emacs.help,gnu.emacs.help
Subject: Re: Emacs problem under AfterStep
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 15:32:05 +0000

Silviu D. Minut wrote:

> I have been using emacs with fvwm2 under linux (RedHat 5.0, but many
> packages are new, some newer than RedHat 5.2) and everything was just
> fine.
> I installed AfterStep today and seems a pretty nice window manager, but
> it messes up my emacs.
> Ctrl-v does not do anything. However, if I set the mark, highlight some
> region, kill it with Ctrl-w, then Ctrl-v will just paste it right back.
> Ctrl-n, Ctrl-p, Ctrl-b, Ctrl-f, Ctrl-a, Ctrl-e work all right.
> If I exit X, and startx to my old fvwm2, everything works just fine.
> Does AfterStep use different keybindings? Does it read them from some
> file? If so, which one?  Can I just change the bindings for emacs? Won't
> this affect other applications?
>
> I would hate to give up this nice window manager. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to solve your problem, but there's a bunch of stuff at
www.afterstep.org which might help you out.

HTH
--
Paul Griffiths

------------------------------

From: Olivier Perron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SCSI controller (DC-390U) not detected at boot up
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 16:02:58 +0000

I've just installed my first SCSI controller (a Tekram DC-390U) and it
is not detected by my RedHat 5.0 during the boot process.
It is the first time I add a SCSI controller in my system, so my Linux
box was not specially configured  to use a SCSI controller.
Do I have to configure something specially ?
Please help....

Olivier Perron.

------------------------------

From: "Andrei A. Dergatchev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any comments about these books?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 14:36:42 +0100

Hi folks,

I've come across http://www.mcp.com/personal/ which provides free on-line reading.
In the list of all books available (http://www.mcp.com/personal/ebooklist.html)
there are 6 containig "Linux" or "Unix" in titles. These are :

LINUX System Administrator's Survival Guide; By Timothy Parker, Ph.D.; ISBN:
0-672-30850-9

Red Hat Linux Unleashed; By Kamran Husain, Tim Parker, et al.; ISBN: 0-672-30962-9
Slackware Linux Unleashed, Third Edition; By Timothy Parker, Ph.D., et al.; ISBN:
0-672-31012-0
UNIX Unleashed; By Various UNIX Wizards; ISBN: 0-672-30402-3
UNIX Unleashed: Internet Edition; By Burke,Horvath Et. Al.; ISBN: 0-672-31205-0
UNIX Unleashed: System Administrator's Edition; By Robin Burk, et.al.;ISBN:
0-672-30952-1
all were published by Sams.

It seems to me they are a bit out of date but I am not sure. Is any book of the above
worth reading ?

Thanks for any comments,

Andrei

------------------------------

From: Roger@localhost (Roger)
Subject: Re: How do i configure named properly?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 15:37:37 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 23:13:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Juergen Heinzl) wrote:

>     I shall send you a configuration for that kind of server per Email.

That deprives lurkers like me from benefitting.
--
Roger

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Esa Tikka)
Subject: Re: How do i configure named and apache properly?
Date: 3 Jan 1999 15:32:47 GMT

>I would have given a full reply to the post above, but it no longer
>appears on my machine.. The main reasons for running named are
>experience, because I want to, and because I'd rather have the
>"complete" thing.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be an easy thing to
>learn about, the only way of picking things up is from the other people

I agree with you, though I _almost_ got my named working with the
DNS-HOWTO. I did it purely because of practice, since I've got just one
machine with dial-up connection.

The only problem I've encountered is that though nslookup can find both
www.mymachine and it's ip (well, the ip is the one used in the howto,
remember the lack of real network) I can't make apache recognize the name
www.mymachine, however it does show the index.html in serverroot if I try
just mymachine. In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I have put ServerName
www.mymachine .
I'd appreciate any help with this problem, or an explanation why can't it
be done this way.

(I'm using RH4.2 with apache-1.2.5-0.1 and bind-4.9.5p1-2 and kernel
version 2.0.36)

--
Esa Tikka          ---  esa dot tikka at lut dot fi  ---
LTKK/ti2      ---> .satan, oscillate my metallic sonataS  <---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Firewalling SUNRPC-service
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 16:54:49 GMT

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've now tried to block things though a proper
entry 'rpc.mountd' in /etc/hosts.allow which only allows my local net. Though
I did not mention it in my posting my problem was not just meant for NFS. I'd
like to know how, in general, I can block a given port on all IP-addresses
through the ipfwadm-command. Somehow my tries only seemed to have effect on
the main IP-address of the machine and not on any of the others.

Arjan

PS. What is the exact title of the book? Any info about it such as ISBN?

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Afterstep for Redhat5.1
Date: 3 Jan 1999 16:04:50 GMT

You need to have a ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep subdirectory.  In that directory
you can copy all of the subdirectories and files that you want to configure your
afterstep from the shared afterstep directories.  You may end up modifying many
of the files as I did.  The last step is to avoid RedHat's AnotherLevel by
having your own .xinitrc in your home directory.  Here is a copy of mine.
======= .xinitrc ==============================================
#!/bin/sh

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

BROWSER=`which netscape`
export BROWSER

# start some nice programs
unclutter &
xautolock &
eval "exec /usr/local/bin/afterstep" > "$HOME"/.AfterStep-errors 2>&1
AfterStep is a very nice window manager in my opinion.

You might consider getting the latest rpm:
   AfterStep-1.6.6-2.i386.rpm
from www.afterstep.org

This works well for me with RedHat 5.2