  Re: Perl/Tk ("Tom Kralidis")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:49:01 GMT

Can I specify the kernel at the time of Lilo prompt. i didn't give the
image location in lilo.conf , but I know where the image is. Can I still
make the Lilo boot from the kernel that I wish.
I am NOT updating Lilo. It has to be a load time parameter
SSS

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:41:32 +0100

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> How much you spend on net access? Who cares!?

> freenet is free. Right?

Telephone calls are not. The moment they go unmetered, I'll be jumping at
it. (Which I will have to pay for, but a hell of a lot less than I currently
pay).

> It's not how much you have to spend that matters. It's not the case.

What, then, is the case that makes me a freeloader.

>> While you're at it, tell me how much I spent to get this Linux distro.
>>
> Who cares?

You seem to, seeing as you keep calling me a freeloader without foundation.

> I paid US$40.00 for my dvd version.

And I paid for mine. Again, how does it make me a freeloader?

>> What point would that be? That you don't know how to make a valid argument?
>>
> Only to the madden geek like you.

Geek and proud of it. If you're going to throw insults, pick ones that'll be
construed as insulting...

> Sure. More geek's talks. Let's face it. Geeks don't know how to communicate to
> real people.

You're proof of that.
You are a troll-bot and I claim my 5 pounds.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Subject: Re: networking two computers using ppp and serial connections
Date: 14 Aug 2000 20:52:24 +0100

Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I heard you can network two computers by using a serial cable and
>running PPP.  Has anyone done this?  Can you point me to documentation
>and/or briefly explain the hardware and configuration steps I'll need
>to get it running?  How's the performance?
>
>Thanks

Done it here due to an old laptop not having any PCMCIA slot :) It's
straightforward to do... how I did it: simple PPP config with the 'noauth'
option so it wouldn't try and authenticate (not a problem with my setup).
Both machines connected by null modem serial cable. On the server side,
remember to put the line 'proxyarp' in the options file. The laptop's chat
script basically logs into the PPP server (normal chat script with login
and password prompts ... just ignore the phone number/modem dialling)
using an account config'd for pppd (ie, its login shell is "pppd").

Performance ... depends on speed of serial port. This laptop (running a Linux
that is basically throws together by trial and error [okay, I need this file,
this file...oops, need this library ...]) connects into the back of a Sparc
IPC (running OpenBSD) ... and the line speed is limited to 38400 as Sparc
serial ports don't run any faster (not without some external clocking).

General speed ... now this is a big problem for me. When doing ftp transfers,
or other bulk transfers, it is really bad in the lag department, with say
20k being transferred without a problem, then it hangs for a random number
of seconds before continuing. Switching off *all* compression on the PPP
link help a lot (from a dubious sub-1k/sec to 2k/sec). I'll be happy once
I can nail this problem out to get a more decent 3.8400k/sec :)

Chris...

--
@}-,'--------------------------------------------------  Chris Johnson --'-{@
    / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \

------------------------------

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: public NNTP servers?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:13:26 GMT

In article <8n9dko$2in$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti) wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for some nttp news servers to point tin -r at,
> does anyone have any reccomendations?
>
> Is there a simple way to configure tin such that I can read from
> mutliple newsgroups?  Will I need multiple versions of .newsrc?

You might want to check out the list at the following site:

   http://home1.gte.net/docthomp/servers.htm

Another approach is to use a web based front end, such as deja.com:

 http://www.deja.com/usenet/

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:29:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I specify the kernel at the time of Lilo prompt. i didn't give the
> image location in lilo.conf , but I know where the image is. Can I still
> make the Lilo boot from the kernel that I wish.
> I am NOT updating Lilo. It has to be a load time parameter
> SSS

hmm.. not that I know of. You can pass kernel parameters to LILO
but AFAIK, you can't specify the kernel itself without writing
the configuration. Is there a reason why you don't want to or
can't run lilo with a new configuration? I'm just curious to
know what that is.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:29:24 -0700

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:06:45 -0700, blowfish
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Do you think Linux distro like Redhat really any better than Windoz?
>
> Why are you here, instead of one of the advocacy groups where this crap
> belongs?

Ouch. A RedHead gets hurt.

It's an open forum. Isn't it? And it's Linux related. ;-)

You're correct. Red hat's crap don't belong to anywhere.

--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.
    (c)Copy Righted by Alex / blowfish - 2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: Brat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,comp.unix.admin,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: NIS+
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:51:44 +0300

I Recall that Linux currenlty supports only NIS (not NIS+) - at least as
a server. It could be possible to
make Linux act as a NIS+ client dunno...
(this was the situation at start of this year)

--

Br4t / magicbox.yi.org
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot."

From: "Stroller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Dual NICs of same type?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:43:59 +0100

"Dances With Crows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:17:34 +0100, Stroller wrote:
> >
> >I've got a modern Realtek super-cheapo imitation-NE2000 10/100mbit
10-baseT
> >PCI card for my home LAN & have just bought 2nd-hand an apparently
ancient
> >3Com Etherlink III ISA 3C509B which has the 10-base2 connector to fit the
> >cable modeem. ...
>
>BTW, those ancient 3c509s are pretty solid
> cards, and yours just might perform better than the NE2K clone despite
> its being ISA!

Many thanks for your help...! So I guess if the Realtek comes up as eth0
then I just allocate that the 192.168.0.0 (?? someone mentioned 192.168.0.24
on another thread, I think) address on the subnet & ipchains will know what
it's doing...?

Don't worry, I have every confidence the 3Com is the better card - I had to
tone down my description in the original posting, as it was so florid in
it's description of the Realtek's cheapness. In nearly 5 years (under
windows) I can only recall 2 cards ever providing days of inexplicable
installation frustrations, and it's one of them.

Stroller.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 14 Aug 2000 17:06:16 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "David C." wrote:
>>
>> The world isn't black and white.  You may find it hard to believe,
>> but there actually exist people who don't want to build everything by
>> hand, and yet don't want to run Windows.
>
> There's a very easy solution for that too. :-)
>
> Open/Free-BSD. ;-)
>
>  cd to the ports tree,
> Just pick the app you want.
> eg: cd /usr/ports/mysql123.tar.gz
>     make ; make install ; make clean
>
> That's it. Everything will be build from source. All dependency files
> fetched, MD5 checked, patched, build, make, install all done
> automatically, and custom tailord, configured to YOUR machine; WITHOUT
> any baby sitting.

This isn't much better than rebuilding Linux.

I don't understand why you consider it to be so evil for somebody else
to pre-compile an operating system and distribute it in binary form.

So it doesn't have every last optimization and tweak that could possibly
be installed.  I, for one, really don't care that much.

>  And you can CVS to updated the source everynight automatically.

Oh yeah, that takes brains.  So every morning, your computer is running
a new version of the system.  That's really great way to run a stable
production system.

> Or do a make world to update the whole system.
>
> No pain, no mess. Start it. Go out, go to bed. Find something else to do. ;-)
>
> .RPM sucks big time, anyway.

Unless you want to do something with your life other than maintaining
your OS.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 14 Aug 2000 17:07:40 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bob Hauck wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:06:45 -0700, blowfish
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Do you think Linux distro like Redhat really any better than Windoz?
> >
> > Why are you here, instead of one of the advocacy groups where this crap
> > belongs?
> >
> Ouch. A RedHead gets hurt.
>
> It's an open forum. Isn't it? And it's Linux related. ;-)
>
> You're correct. Red hat's crap don't belong to anywhere.

*plonk*

I've got to get better at spotting these damn trolls...

-- David

------------------------------

From: Thomas Gangolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with loop devices and mounting a cdrom
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:07:52 +0200

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:06:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
wrote:

>Jan 1 1970 ? Hummm... delete the file (rm -f) and make
>a directory instead. Then issue the mount command, maybe is
>better if you specify -o ro, this will remove the complaining
>about the write protection.

That wouldn't solve the problem. The /cdrom is a folder before the
mouting. When I mount a cdrom, the folder will turn to a file. It's
very mysterious, I know.
And when you normaly mount a cdrom it's always write-protected, you
can't write anything on a cdrom if it's not a cd-rw.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Perl/Tk
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:57:39 GMT

Hello,

I'm a Red Hat 6.2 user and have been trying to write
my first Perl script/program for the Tk language with
graphical interface. I have had problems, though; the
directive

use Tk;

yields a long error message which begins with "Tk.pm
not found" or something similar to this. I understand
that my system lacks packages that should have been
installed before my trying to run any Perl program
for Tk. Question: which are those packages?

Many TIA for any help given.

---Fausto

From: John Nichel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat,linux.redhat.devel,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux 7.0
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:11:02 GMT

Numerous problems with KDE....had to switch to *shudder* Gnome.

Problems with MySQL and Pinstripe?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: software raid
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:17:55 GMT

Hi,
I'm having some problem in establishing software
raid. I'm using RedHat 6.2, linux kernel 2.2.14.
   I can establish raid1 through kickstart during
installation but i want to do it after I
installed RedHat Linux in the first drive.

   So, I was doing the following..

     1) Install RedHat Linux 6.2 ( Kernel
configured properly) in /dev/sda
     2) Create similar partitions in /dev/sdb
     3) Change the partitions of both the drive
into type "fd" ( RAID Partition)
     4) Create the /etc/raidtab file
     5) Issued the mkraid command
                       But it fails here ..

      I'm doing software raid for the first time
and I would appreciate it very much if anyone of
you could help me out.
   Thanks in advance
        --rezwanul

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Bacon)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.lang.perl.tk
Subject: Re: Perl/Tk
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:41:06 GMT

In article <8n9mg0$i21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I'm a Red Hat 6.2 user and have been trying to write
: my first Perl script/program for the Tk language with
: graphical interface. I have had problems, though; the
: directive
:
: use Tk;
:
: yields a long error message which begins with "Tk.pm
: not found" or something similar to this. I understand
: that my system lacks packages that should have been
: installed before my trying to run any Perl program
: for Tk. Question: which are those packages?

Have you installed the Tk module?  Grab an archive from

    <URL:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module/Tk/>

Follow the usual steps:

    % tar xfz Tk###.###.tar.gz
    % perl Makefile.PL
    % make
    % make test
    % make install

Followups set.

Greg
--
OK, I can't play against a program that has four invisible phantom knights
on f4.  No wonder it has a 2050 rating.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:53:05 -0700

"David C." wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > "David C." wrote:
> >>
> >> The world isn't black and white.  You may find it hard to believe,
> >> but there actually exist people who don't want to build everything by
> >> hand, and yet don't want to run Windows.
> >
> > There's a very easy solution for that too. :-)
> >
> > Open/Free-BSD. ;-)
> >
> >  cd to the ports tree,
> > Just pick the app you want.
> > eg: cd /usr/ports/mysql123.tar.gz
> >     make ; make install ; make clean
> >
> > That's it. Everything will be build from source. All dependency files
> > fetched, MD5 checked, patched, build, make, install all done
> > automatically, and custom tailord, configured to YOUR machine; WITHOUT
> > any baby sitting.
>
> This isn't much better than rebuilding Linux.
>
> I don't understand why you consider it to be so evil for somebody else
> to pre-compile an operating system and distribute it in binary form.
>
> So it doesn't have every last optimization and tweak that could possibly
> be installed.  I, for one, really don't care that much.
>
> >  And you can CVS to updated the source everynight automatically.
>
> Oh yeah, that takes brains.  So every morning, your computer is running
> a new version of the system.  That's really great way to run a stable
> production system.

I said you *can*. That mean if you want to. ;-)

> > Or do a make world to update the whole system.
> >
> > No pain, no mess. Start it. Go out, go to bed. Find something else to do. ;-)
> >
> > .RPM sucks big time, anyway.
>
> Unless you want to do something with your life other than maintaining
> your OS.

No. That's why I don't follow the kernel of the day. The Duck Soup de Jouir.

I'm still running 2.2.14. That was 2.5 months ago, before that, it's 2.0.13.

Have no intention to use even 2.2.16, let alone 2.4.micky. ;-)

I update the kernel every 12 months or so. I only care about stability. I don't
care about the latest and the trendiest 3D video card, sound card, ATAdrivers etc.
No games in any of my boxes. I play my music , watch my DVDs on stand alone home
players on real sound system. ;-)

I just update whatever needed for security bug fixes on the apps that I use. And
there ain't that many. Since Linux is basically my net surfing box. All my real
servers run on *BSD and commercial unix.

From: "Tom Kralidis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.perl.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:45:26 -0400

"Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8n9mg0$i21$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hello,
>
> I'm a Red Hat 6.2 user and have been trying to write
> my first Perl script/program for the Tk language with
> graphical interface. I have had problems, though; the
> directive
>
> use Tk;
>
> yields a long error message which begins with "Tk.pm
> not found" or something similar to this. I understand
> that my system lacks packages that should have been
> installed before my trying to run any Perl program
> for Tk. Question: which are those packages?
>
> Many TIA for any help given.
>
> ---Fausto

The error message means that the script cannot find the Tk module anywhere
within Perl's libraries on your system, which most likely means you do not have
it installed.

Let your sysadmin know you want this installed.  He can get Tk and tons of other
modules from http://www.cpan.org

Hope this helps.

Tom Kralidis
Systems Specialist