From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux upgrade suggestions?????
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:56:22 GMT

Thanks for the info....My machine is a home box and I have dsl with
static ips so it is always online.  I got hacked last week and the
hacker was somehow able to change my root password.  I booted to run
level 1 changed it, and i can log in as root with the changed password
now but i can't su to root--it says incorrect password.  SO i think
there could be any number of trojans or whatever on my system.  SO i
feel i need to do a reinstall to be safe.
   THe machine is used as a home server, i run dns and a mail server,
apache, and an ftp server on it.  I use it to develop with and also
to trade music.  I have thought about putting a box in front of it to
function as the firewall alone but i don't really have one. I have
several windows boxes running on the internal net off that computer too
so i have a little home network and all.  I was toying with the idea of
trying Suse or Mandrake, but I am #1 familiar with the red hat
distribution and i know it supports all the stuff i have so i am a
little hesitant to change.  Do you think I could make the redhat
6.2distribution as secure as these other ones?  Do you think the Suse or
mandrake are more solid or about the same?  I heard 7.0 is a mess too,
so i was going to stick with 6.2, but i heard some new versions of kde
and gnome have come out and do you know if i can install ad where i get
them to a red hat 6.2 box?
thanks
ryan

In article <YN9W5.5168$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Edward M. Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't see the problem in running Redhat 6.2, 7.0 might be more
problematic,
> it can be made quite secure. There is a hardening script called
Bastille Linux
> www.bastille-linux.org that you might want to check out.  There are
also a
> number of other security tools for Linux to consider, go to
www.linux.org or
> www.freshmeat.net and do a search.
>
> No Linux disribution is secure out of the box, but some e.g. SuSE and
Mandrake,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: boot disk?  Re: How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot)
Date: 3 Dec 2000 01:51:32 GMT

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:48:15 GMT, HOMZ staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I'm having problems getting back into my LINUX partition.  I do have a boot
>disk that came with my package, but it's only purpose is to send you to the
>CD-rom drive incase it is not bootable.  I tried to use it without a CD and
>it just freezes indefinately, and with the CD, it only wants to "install".
>Is there another, better "boot disk" I can use when I want to boot into my
>LINUX partition?  Is there a way I can make one in Windows when I can't
>access LINUX at all?  Or maybe I can download somewhere?
>I'm currently downloading explore2fs from
>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm to see if it helps me
>at all.

RedHat systems have a script called "mkbootdisk" that should work for
what you want, but it requires you to be in the system.  As a stopgap,
you can use Tom's RootBoot, http://www.toms.net/rb/ , and from there,
you can make a bootdisk like so:

0.  Mount your /boot partition under /mnt
1.  Insert a known good floppy disk
2.  dd if=/mnt/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
3.  rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/XXX
   (replace XXX with "hdb1" or wherever your / partition lives)

There's a guide to everything bootdisk-oriented at
  http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Is Sendmail working?
Date: 3 Dec 2000 01:51:34 GMT

On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:26:56 GMT,
Lamar Thomas staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>Does that mean that SMTP is working too.  Or does Sendmail NOT use SMTP?
>(I am from a Microsoft Exchange background).

?!?  Sendmail, Exim, qma*l, Postfix, and every rational MTA out there
uses SMTP; that's what it was invented for.  MAPI or whatever they're
calling it this week is a relative newcomer and there are not many MTAs
that use it, since the protocol is proprietary.

If you have something that's accepting connections on port 25, chances
are it's an MTA using SMTP.  If you're going to be doing mailserver
administration, please have a look at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc821.txt
*especially* if MSexChange is all you're familiar with.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Netscape 6.0 with SuSE 7.0?
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:28:26 -0500

* Mordak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi all,
> Has anyone tried Netscape 6.0 with SuSE 7.0 or any other flavor of *nix yet?
> If so how was the setup and are there any problem or immediate bugs showing
> their ugly heads?
> Thanks,
> Mordak

Yep - tried it, then went to mozilla. Runs fine.

--
Steve - Toronto
===============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: test link bandwidth
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 01:58:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Beggar  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is there any tools or method that can test the
>links speed/bandwidth. Since I am writting a program
>and need to find the best path to the destination.
>using ping can only get the latency, but what I need is
>the bandwidth of the path.
>
>Anyone can help? Thanks !
>
>please reply cc to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What is bing ?

   Bing is a point-to-point bandwidth measurement tool (hence
   the 'b'), based on ping. It is written by Pierre Beyssac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

   Bing determines the real (raw, as opposed to available or average)
   throughput on a link by measuring ICMP echo requests roundtrip times
   for different packet sizes for each end of the link.

   Suppose we are on host A and want to know the throughput between L1
   and L2, two extremities of a point-to-point link.

        A ----( the Internet )--- L1 --- L2

   If we know the rtt (roundtrip time) between A and L1, and the rtt
   between A and L2, we can deduce the rtt between L1 and L2.

   If we do that for two different packet sizes, we can compute the raw
   capacity (bps) of the link.

   Note that bing can also be used to have an idea of ethernet cards
   performance.

--
"Whether you think their witnesses are credible or non-credible;
 they've admitted monopoly power, they've admitted raising prices to hurt

------------------------------

From: Dennis J Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM graphical characters
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 19:09:24 -0700

I'm trying to port a program from SCO to Linux.  The program uses the
extended character set to draw boxes.  How can I do this in Linux?  Or
maybe the correct question is, which terminfo font should I use?

--
  Dennis

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sniffer like c code
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 01:53:06 GMT

Polat wrote:
> =

> Friends,
> =

> I want to write a C program in Linux environment to catch the Ip
> packets with a given source port. For example I want to catch the
> packets sent by a web server (the source port is 80 and dest port is
> unknown) and understand the content of the packet. Is is possible. So
> how can I write such a program. Do =FD need to re-compile kernel.
> thanks in advance
> =

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You might want to look at the following sites:

        1. http://www.ethereal.com
        2. http://www.snort.org
        3. http://reptile.rug.ac.be/~coder/sniffit/sniffit.html
        4. http://www.roe.ch/download
        5. http://privat.schlund.de/s/snoopie

Good luck.

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS. Remove "4" from e-mail address should you want to reply.

------------------------------

From: "ACBLMB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Exchange Server / Linux VPN
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 02:06:24 GMT

I have a Linux Firewall on my Network that is setup with VPN. Every thing is
working fine execpt Outlook.
When a client conects with VPN they can browse the entire Network, Map to
Shares and transfer files ect...
The only think that is not working is the conection with one of the three
Exchange Server.
When a client attemptes to browes the Exchange Server, open Outlook or
conect to a shared folder on the Exchange Server, they are told that the
computer name or shared folder can not be found.
I CAN Ping that Exchange Server and I can see it in the Browse List.
I can conect to the other two Exchange Servers on my Network by name and do
not have any other problems with the VPN or the Exchange Server.

Thanks For Your Time And Help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nope)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Frame Buffering and Red Hat 7.0
Date: 2 Dec 2000 20:18:28 -0600

The framebuffer HOWTO I looked at notes ATI cards are a problem because the
developer(s) didn't have ready access to them. Ergo, that's at least a good
reason from the start to know there should be consideration for keeping the
kernel hooks in place for some minimal "obsolete" video/X functions.

I couldn't agree more, I have an ATI AllInWonderPro
and fortunatly Mandrake and redhat 6.2 support it but only
barely, for ever I feel the biggest pain in the ass with
xserver setups is the lack of a bare bones generic 16 color driver that fits
all similar to the way windows 98 sets up, it will run any card in 16 color
mode and at least get you to your desktop for further tweaks.
I have heard all the floating a point non-sequitures to the fondationless
reasons from the nix lovers, but non of them wash, a bare 16 color desktop
in any video card would put linux on a lot more machines then it is now.
Flame away my plonk key is waiting.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: looking for video capture card for linux
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 02:51:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hi

> i'm looking for a good video card with an onboard tv tuner and that can
> do decent video capture. (video capture must be preferably done at
> 352x288 or higher resolution captured at at least 24fps). A big plus
> would be if the card could do real time mpeg compression (i dont even
> know if there are cards that can do this).

> i currently have an ATI card, but there's almost no support for the tv
> tuner in linux.

> any recommendations would be appreciated. please feel free to specify as
> much detail about the card as u'd like or just leave a URL i can visit
> to get more info :)

I've used both a Brooktree 848 based card (WinTV) and an ATI All-in-Wonder
128 under Linux.  The WinTV card is better supported under Linux.  The AIW
has better image quality.  Drivers are being worked on to make the AIW
compliant to the Video4Linux interface, which will give it the same amount
of support as the WinTC card.  Check out:

http://roadrunner.swansea.linux.org.uk/v4l.shtml

for more info on V4L compliant cards (including one mpeg encoder board for
which work is being done).

MainActor is a good program for capturing, sequencing, and exporting video
files.  You can capture as an AVI file, and then compress it to mpeg
afterwards.  It's $85, but worth it IMO.  Check it out at:

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/mainactorLinux.shtml

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 3 Dec 2000 03:00:34 GMT

In <GafW5.495080$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Lamar Thomas"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I am new to Linux and had a question about sendmail.  I am running RH Linux
>6.2 and did a custom complete install.  When my system boots up I see the
>"Sendmail" service start up as [OK].  I have a domain name (mydomain.com)
>and an MX record in a DNS server.  I can receive mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
>can send e-mail out to anyone I want.  Does this mean that "Sendmail" is
>working?

The purpose of sendmail is to send out mail and receive mail. You can send
mail and receive mail. Sendmail is doing its job.

>If so, how would I pull my mail down via POP3 from another system over the
>Internet?  Thanks for your help.

Well, if you are running sendmail, I would just put a .forward file on
that other system and have it mail forward any mail you receive there to
your system. If you only log on for minutes at a time, this may not work (
you can set up sendmail to try to empty its mail queue as often as you
want however). but if you are on for a substantial time (>15 min a time
say) then this would work fine ( making th queue time for sendmail be 15
min say on that remote machine)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 3 Dec 2000 03:02:28 GMT

In <4zfW5.495110$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Lamar Thomas"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Does that mean that SMTP is working too.  Or does Sendmail NOT use SMTP?
>(I am from a Microsoft Exchange background).

SMTP= Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It is the language sendmail speaks to
control the transfer of mail between your machine and another. If sendmail
did not speak SMTP it could not talk to anyone else to deliver the mail

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.apps,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.databases.informix,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.sybase,comp.databases.pick,comp.databases.ibm-db2,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: Database in Redhat Linux
Date: 2 Dec 2000 23:16:51 +0300

In comp.os.linux.misc Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>: And it's a real pity that there are so many people who think that the
:>: only valid type of database is a SQL database.
:>
:>Sincerely, I never seen any other kind of database which is usable
:>without writing special program for any query. SQL is only practical
:>solution've seen, which allows you to type queries in interactively.
:>There is also QBE, but it doesn't count, becouse it is
:>a) relational
:>b) if fully implementted is functionally equivalent to SQL.
:>
: Ask an END USER to run a query over four entities. Oh, by the way,
: there's a many-to-many relationship in there somewhere...

Using QBE? Just easy - draw a line by mouse here, there and elsewhere
and you've four entities linked together.

Using SQL? a bit more difficult. You have to tell stupid machine that
value of TYPE_ID is this table should be equal to TYPE_ID in that table,
but tell on almost plain English.

:>Restriction which mySQL places on the programmers are worst of all - they
:>causes them to PROGRAM, instead of to DESIGN.
:>
: I don't know mySQL that well, but you need some programming for
: anything. If you mean triggers, data integrity etc, I gather mySQL was
: designed for fast extraction, and it sounds like you're using the wrong
: tool for the job...

I don't use it, and probably never would. Becouse I cannot imagine a
problem which wouldn't benefit from good decomposition. If it is tabular
by nature, it would need something more relational than mySQL.

If not, it is better to use something ENTIRELY different.

Even if it is not possible to decompose tables, program might benefit
from distributing data between different schemas with different access
rights and grant appropriate permission. Oracle allows to access
different schemas from same connection, mySQL doesn't.

And if you have about 50 simulateously connected copies of Apache (not
mention interactive applications) mySQL begins to crawl.

:>SQL + storage manager behind them. Nothing more. Even OS is not always
:>neccessary.
:>May be FORTRAN
:>preprocessor. Clients should be written on normal using
:>jdbc, odbc, dbi or some other kind of standartized interface.
:>
:>Of course good interactive shell is good, but I always have dbish.
:>
: A good interactive shell makes life easy...

Of course. And in this field psql is much better than sqlplus.
May be I should find time to write "GNU Oracle Shell" - something which
is distributed OpenSource and uses GNU readline, but works with Oracle
database.

:>:>So, only free database is PostgreSQL. But PostgreSQL start to
:>:>
:>: I think you mean the only free *relational* database - which is not the
:>: same thing at all. There are much better databases out there. While I
:>
:>Please name _free_ non-relational database which is comparable with
:>commercial ones. As far as I know, most free non-relational things are
:>compared with say Adabas, like mySQL to Oracle or worse.

: I don't know of any _free_ ones that are currently usable. I'm working
: on MaVerick...

So, we are back to my point - PostgreSQL is only free database. It is
relational (what's pity), but no non-relational one exists.

:>Guys who wrote mySQL think same way. Unfortunately, they was wrong.
:>Becouse there is nothing more practical then good theory.
:>
:>Theoretical purity gives flexibility, scalability and tunability.
:>This is why people don't write on CODASIL anymore.
:>
: Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools. The
: real world is not amenable to forcing into a relational mould. For some
: things it works fine, but trying to force non-relational data into a
: relational straitjacket can (will?) make life difficult later on. Why

Of course. But it only means that somebody picks wrong theory.
And if you want something better, you'll have to find branch of
mathematics which describe your problem better than relational algebra.

Probably, I've found one for my problem. Now some people from MSU
work by the contract with our firm on the graph-based database.

: are people now throwing so much effort at object databases? Try running
: a data warehouse on a relational db - a big warehouse will bring a Cray
: to its knees...

It seems that objects is an universal solution for problems where no
special theory exists. That is why all OO languages are so bloated.

--
Randal can write one-liners again.  Everyone is happy, and peace spreads
over the whole Earth.