Linux-Misc Digest #518, Volume #18                Fri, 8 Jan 99 19:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Help test my script ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Converting between Linux's (Jon P LeVitre)
  Defrag utility for NT before running fips (John Forkosh)
  Re: (((((((NEED REDHAT5.2)))))))) ("Stuart Updegrave")
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Larry)
  Re: PNMS and problem ticket managing software (Elmo Recio)
  Re: 98/Linux install partition question (Ted Mulcahy)
  Re: Help :  red hat root password (Matthew)
  help installing g77 on SPARC 2 running RedHat LINUX 5.2? (Harry Jenter)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Lack Mr G M)
  Re: Linux: Fight for survival or on victory march? (John Morris)
  Re: Can't find modem (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (mlw)
  Re: 2038 and Linux (William Burrow)
  I NEED HELP!!! (TNelson1)
  Re: Executable not found newbie question (Oracle/Linux) (Mike Werner)
  Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!! ("PDG")
  Re: Newbie asks: why Linux? (somebody)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Andy Mulhearn)
  Re: ppp trouble (Ed Young)
  Re: Linux: Fight for survival or on victory march? (William Burrow)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Jeremy Mathers)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help test my script
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:06:53 GMT

I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me test out a script That
I'm using to automate the downloading of files from the Internet.

This script takes it's information from a Netscape bookmark file.
Right now it works with single files transfered via FTP or HTTP.  I'm
working on an extension that will grab whole web pages (the base HTML
file plus all the graphic files and other files required to display
the page in it's entirety) given the base URL.

As an incentive you will receive a free CD in the mail containing any
files from the Internet up to 200 Megabytes.  If Your Interested in
this please send me e-mail, and I will send you complete instructions.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon P LeVitre)
Subject: Converting between Linux's
Date: 7 Jan 1999 18:22:27 -0800

I plan to convert my home PC from Slackware to SuSE,
and I was wondering how much of the old O/S I should
undo before installing the new one.

Can I just slap the SuSE on top of Slackware, or should
reformat the disk and install SuSE from scratch, or do
something in between?

Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
jonl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Subject: Defrag utility for NT before running fips
Date: 8 Jan 1999 17:22:00 -0500

I recently got a machine with NT 4.0 installed by the
vendor, but occupying the entire drive.  I'd like to
keep it around.  But it came without any defrag utility,
and I couldn't locate one on yahoo/alta-vista/etc.
     I suppose there can't be too much fragmentation
since no one really used it.  But I'd like to defrag
it before running fips against it.  Is there a
convenient (free) downloadbale defrag utility?
Thanks,
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Updegrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: (((((((NEED REDHAT5.2))))))))
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:24:03 -0800

Jani wrote in message <7730bp$kgl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
:I need Redhat 5.2 .....on a fast server...please

http://www.readhat.com/mirrors.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 8 Jan 1999 21:28:49 GMT

On 08 Jan 1999 01:57:01 +0100, David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>"Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> The consumer has spoken, but will this affect Penfield Jackson’s
>> rulings?  Of course not, a biased and angry Penfield will rule
>> against Microsoft on every count and impose the most severe penalty
>> he believes possible.  But not to worry, there is a contingency plan
>> in place regardless the DOJ trial and appeals outcome.  Long live
>> Microsoft.
>
>Well, in *our* country court cases are decided by the law, not by
>public votes, but of course, in the land that has made lynching
>popular the procedures might be different.

This from the country that made mass-gassing and ovens popular.

glass houses..? stones..? throwing..?

------------------------------

From: Elmo Recio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.apps,linux.dev.admin,linux.jobs
Subject: Re: PNMS and problem ticket managing software
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:16:10 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There was a post on freshmeat a couple of weeks (months ??) ago for a
> problem and change system that an ISP was using....
>
> Maybe do a search at freshmeat (freashmeat.net,  i think)
>
> trevor

thanks trev, i checked it out and it wasn't what i needed 8-\. They were
all too generic, and i need an rdbms backend. I might just have to make
one.
cheers,
elmo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ted Mulcahy)
Subject: Re: 98/Linux install partition question
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:29:06 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:58:11 +0000, Kaustav Bhattacharya
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a 10Gb FAT32 hard disk with Win98 on it.  I'm going to purchase
>Red Hat 5.2 in about two hours. I wanted to ask before I bought 5.2 if
>when I purchase it, will the installation CD allow me to easily
>partition my 10Gb HD without destroying my Win98 data?  i.e. can I
>install Linux onto a FAT32 disk and be safe in mind that Win98 will
>continue working after Linux is installed?  Or do I have to backup the
>Win98 bits, format the entire HD, partition it into two and then copy
>back the Win98 stuff and then install Linux onto the second partition?
>
>Kozzey
 Yeah - your going to have to either backup your data (which is always
a good idea when partitioning) and re-partition your drive or shrink
your partition and install linux in the space you've provided. This is
the method I used and Win98 has no idea linux is on the same machine.
I used Partition Magic 4 but I think you can do the same with FIPS?

- Ted -

------------------------------

From: Matthew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help :  red hat root password
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:00:11 +0000

Hi,

If you're using Lilo to boot, why not type:

linux single

at the prompt to take you to the root prompt, and then you can change the
root line in /etc/passwd to remove the password, i.e. rather than:

root:sfksnfjskfsnd:etc......

change this to

root::etc........

type exit to continue booting - you should have no password for root.

Alternatively, try to install linux again, and after the cd has been found
("in second stage install") press ALT-F2 to get a bash# prompt. from here
you can mount your H/D and remove the password in /etc/passwd:

use...

mknod hda1 b 3 1
                      for hda2/3, change the last number respectively
mkdir mounted
mount hda1 mounted
cd mounted/etc
vi passwd

Hopefully this may help. after removing the password ensure you

cd /
umount mounted

before resetting the machine.

Matthew

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Billy Bob wrote:

>Hi,
>    I changed the root password for the red hat 5.2 and now I can't get into
>root.   I am able to edit  /etc/password  and remove the password string
>but when I boot the system it gets over written.  What can I do to stop it
>from doing so.   Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Asim
>
>PS: Please e-mail replies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: dc.org.linux-users,comp.os.linux.setup
From: Harry Jenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help installing g77 on SPARC 2 running RedHat LINUX 5.2?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:00:03 GMT

Hi,

I recently installed RedHat LINUX 5.2 on an old Sparcstation 2
that I have. It seems to be working great. I now need a FORTRAN
compiler for that machine.  Is there a simple way to get a
FORTRAN compiler installed without having to reMAKE gcc before
MAKEing g77? I'm worried that I would break gcc (or some software
that relies on it) in the process. As a point of reference: I'm
new to both LINUX and RPM, but not UNIX.

-Harry
--
Harry L. Jenter                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
USGS                                   (703) 648-5916 | FAX (703)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lack Mr G M)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:36:14 GMT

In article <e8rB19wO#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Netnerd"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

|> The US antitrust laws are designed to protect consumers, not competitors.
|> Has the consumer been harmed?  Of course not.  Have competitors been harmed?
|> Netscape's current market capitalization is $6.5 billion.  This is hardly an
|> example of harm.  Netscape is more an example of great success.

   If I hit you with a cricket bat you are worse of than if I didn't.

   However, since you are still alive and might recover after a while do
you feel that I have committed no crime?  That is what you are saying.

   The issue is not whether competitors exist but rather whether MS has
taken illegal steps to *attempt* to stifle competition.  And nothing
that is happening at the moment or in the future can change whether it
has committed illegal acts in the past.

   Anyway, it is up to the US Justice system to sort this one out.

=========== Gordon Lack ================= [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ============
The contents of this message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  They are
*not* intended to reflect those of my employer, or anyone else.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Morris)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux: Fight for survival or on victory march?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 21:31:13 GMT

>I admit that playing games on Linux is less than exciting.

I don't now much abt computers but am abt to try
Linux soon.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to
play a game on ANY operating system tho??  Why not
use a dedicated device like a Sony Playstation??

Since I do not play games anyway... am I missing
something here? <G>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Can't find modem
Date: 8 Jan 1999 03:23:57 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Donald Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have a NewCom 56K Plug 'n Play modem which works just fine under
>Windows 95 on Comm 4.  Under RedHat Linux 5.2 I can't seem to get a
>dialtone.  I have tried Comm 1 thru Comm 4 using minicom and can't get a
>sound.
>The box says for Windows 95 or higher.  Is that my problem???

Yes. It is a "winmodem" which means that it does not run under anything
but win. It uses the CPU as the modem, making it do all of the work of
the modem. No drivers for Linux, nor would you want them (a preemptive
system would be liable to grab the CPU right in the middle of a timing
critical modem operation)

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:17:28 +0000

Steven C. Den Beste wrote:
> >Why then is the consumer putting up with an operating system that
> >crashes several orders of magnitudes more than other offers?
>
> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because the rumor about instability is
> an urban legend based on anecdotal evidence, and not grounded on anything
> statistically valid?

This is a very good staement, someone should embark on a documentation
project. Although there are some very interesting TCO (Total Cost of
Ownership) studies.

> >                                                             Why is
> >the consumer putting up with applications that force him to pay loads
> >of money for upgrading everything to the newest incompatible file
> >format?
>
> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because no-one is actually forcing
> anyone to upgrade? Perhaps because they're upgrading to get new features?

Actually, I can say that they are gently forced to upgrade. Microsoft
makes package deals with vendors. They include the latest version of
office products. Microsoft office products do not produce backward
compatible file formats with explicitly performing the function. Since
the people that get new machines usually have some rank in a company,
other are expected to read the documents, hence the constant upgrading.

When going from MS Office to MS Office '95 one was forced to upgrade the
OS. I bet We will absolutely see this in the near future with Windows
2K.

One can argue if they want, this has been my experience in several
companies.

> >        Why is he putting up with operating systems that will
> >configure themselves unusable if you happen to switch your modem on
> >before your computer as opposed to afterwards?
>
> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because you're basing this on anecdotal
> evidence and that many other people have found that nothing like this
> happens?

This is all anecdotal, which does not imply false. It implies that it
was not systematically studied. I have never make a study if squirrels
exist, but, I have enough anecdotal evidence to support the claim that
they do.

I have never seen Windows hang with a modem probe, but, if there are I/O
or IRQ conflicts not detected by the system, I bet it could.

It is very difficult to get anything but anecdotal evidence on obscure
bug. The fact that a systematic study reduces random elements reduces
the likelyhood of reproducing obscure problems unless the exact sequence
of events in known before hand.

> >In what way is the consumer benefiting when Microsoft comes up all the
> >time with new "standards" which have the sole advantage over existing
> >ones that they are incompatible with them?
>
> Because they truly are standards. Because the customers know that Microsoft
> is the 600 pound canary, and that when MS declares something to be a
> standard, the industry will adopt it. MS's participation in something pretty
> much guarantees industry buy-in.

This looks true only in the short term. Microsoft has a habbit of
forcing OEMs and ISV to adopt technology before it is ready, and abandon
working technology too quickly. The consumer is in a constant state of
"catch up" by version churning. only a company with a disproportionate
influence on an industry can cause this, this is a "monopoly."

> >In the long run, the customer is taken advantage off if competition
> >gets obliterated.
>
> Except that there's no evidence that competition IS being obliterated. In
> some areas concentration and shakeout have happened. That's happened in
> product areas where Microsoft doesn't compete; it's not a function of
> Microsoft being present, but rather of the fact that those market areas are
> mature.

This is not true either, look at the cost of Windows 98. It is close to
$200 dollars. How has the consumer benefited by a 150% increase in price
since Windows 95?

> In other areas there's enormous competition.
>
> >Yes, of course the average consumer is glad that there is something
> >like Windows, or he would not have bought it.  But this does not mean
> >that it is in the consumers interest if competition gets killed by
> >unfair means.  The consumer will rather put up with Microsoft than not
> >to have any workable software for his specific purposes at all.
>
> Who are you to decide what's better for "the consumer"? Why shouldn't they
> decide for themselves?

Because the consumer doesn't know. In my experience, when explained with
analogies that are relevent to their experiences, consumers quickly come
to the conclusion that M$ must be delt with.

Would you want the biggest realestate agent (OS Vendor) to purchase the
biggest newspaper and all the popular TV stations (web browser) and
control the advertisement (web channels) and deliver "for free" the news
paper to every house in a city? No, because real estate prices would not
be priced correctly.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: 8 Jan 1999 22:55:22 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:26:11 +1030,
Glen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I fully expect the 2038 problem to be fixed on i386 Linux
>with five years, and that no effort greater than the libc/glibc
>migration will be needed for this to happen.
>
>Thus in the year 2038 we will only have to worry about
>Linux machines greater than 25 years old.  Even embedded
>computing systems tend not to be in service this long.

True, but some ARCHITECTURES have been around for as long.  The venerable
IBM/360 design, for example, is pushing 35 this year and still in production
as the IBM/390.

OTOH, I also see no real need to rush the job on i386, as Intel is hinting
at a new design (Merced).  It does remain to be seen whether the i386
survives as long as the 360, but you certainly don't want to cut off future
users for no good reason.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TNelson1)
Subject: I NEED HELP!!!
Date: 8 Jan 1999 23:26:13 GMT

Hi,

Am am relatively new to linux, and I love it.  I have a big problem though.  I
currently have a dual boot system, Win#$%!95 and linux.  I use linux for
everything except internet access.  I am increasingly hating microsoft, and
would love to remove all traces from my system.  The only problem is I don't
know how to get internet access (dial up) from home without it.  That is the
only thing keeping me from getting rid of it altogether.

Can someone please point me to an ISP that I could use to dial up with
linux/Netscape/telnet/ftp and have internet access?  If so, there will be one
less computer system running micr!@#$% products!!!

Thanks in advance, please email the response to me as well since I am really in
a hurry to trash windows 95.

Tom

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Executable not found newbie question (Oracle/Linux)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:44:18 -0500

This sounds like a path problem.  Type 'echo $PATH' and see if the
directory containing the binaries in question is in the path.  If not,
check and see if . is in the path.  I'm guessing that neither one is in
your path.  Therefore, try typing './command' where command is the name
of the binary you want to run.  By putting the . at the front of that,
you are explicitly telling the shell that the command you want is in the
current working directory.

Many people will say that having the current directory in your path is a
security hole.  For a large multiuser system, it is.  My box is a single
user (me) system - . is in my path.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: "PDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:09:27 -0500

if you plan on using two nic cards of the same type, you need to re-compile
your kernel to use the driver directly IN the kernel, not as a module

--
PDG--"We bring bad things to life"

For PGP Public key-- http://webcrush.com/pgp.htm

------------------------------

From: somebody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Newbie asks: why Linux?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:03:30 -0700

> What harm is there in including them?

no harm.  it just adds clutter.

the things that i am referring to are the 'dot' files, /etc, /var..
these are info overload for most.

> While I would have agreed with you a year or so ago, I can't anymore.
> Many families buy a home computer, these houses have kids. When a young
> kid uses the computer, you want the system to protect itself and you
> want changes the user made isolated to that user.

i agree.  btw.. be has the ability to go multi-user at any time.

> Users say computers are too complex, even Windows. My cousin is a prime
> example. He has a fairly regular job. He has to use Windows during the
> day. For his company, I setup an internet masquerading system, mail, web
> page, etc. I used Linux. I gave him a Linux book, at first he was
> intimidated, frustrated, and didn't want to deal with it. I told him,
> "It is just a server, never touch it, and you'll never need too."

the learning curve is always a deterant.  a nice front end can ease
someone into the system.  but, later they will always want mo' pow'r (go
benford)

> While this is conventional wisdom and what people are supposed to
> believe, I think in practice it is incorrect.

you have to choose the right tool for the job.
some need/want options. some don't.

i think linux forces some users into options they don't wanna mess with
because someone told them linux was the tool for the job.  several hours
later, mostly frustrated w/ options, they give up.

Be on the other hand hides a lot. But, it lets you go low-level if you
want.

anyway, i totally agree w/ what you said.  i don't have all the
answers.  in a perfect world, all 'users' would be on xterms, IMO (even
for AOL or any ISP that they dial up to).  all of their resources would
be on the server and maintained by a provider.  need a new app?.. let
your provider know.

unfortunately,  bandwidth does not permit yet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Mulhearn)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 8 Jan 1999 23:14:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
                Peter Granroth wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven C. Den Beste) writes:

[snipped ]

>> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because the rumor about instability is
>> an urban legend based on anecdotal evidence, and not grounded on anything
>> statistically valid?
>>

>I do believe that many 'reports' of MS Windows crashing several times
>a day are exaggerated, but a stable OS it is certainly not. When still

[snipped]

I second this. I have no faith in 98 as an operating system which I run on
my desktop at home. Example: I set up 95 to auto login so that the password
for my ISP could be stored in a .pwl file. 95 booted and logged in fine. I
upgrade to 98, have changed no options at all and now 98 decides randomly
whether it will honour the auto login. Sometimes it does, sometime it stops
and waits for OK to be pressed.

This is not the characteristic of a stable oprating system.

Andy

------------------------------

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp trouble
Date: 8 Jan 1999 03:43:11 GMT

How are you logging onto your ISP?  chat script, chap, pap?
Looks like you may not have completed the login?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 8 Jan 1999 23:19:51 GMT

On 8 Jan 1999 07:25:57 GMT,
Jeremy Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] allegedly wrote:
>>>     Nope. Home users don't want MS bundleware because it's
>>>     good, they want it because 'everyone else' is using it.
>>
>>and everyone is using Window application becuase? aha! Marketing, right?
>
>Wrong, bundling. It was installed on their computer when they bought  it. They
>didn't ask for it, Microsoft "gave" it to them. Remember, PC users [didn't]
>choose  MS,
>MS chose them. (and IBM chose MS, because of the very  laws  that  MS  is  now
>whining about.)

Bob was talking about games, etc. at Fry's.  Here marketing plays a big point.
People are just used to buying their goods.  What is the difference between
a chair and a computer game?  They are both goods on the market.  Both are
available at a familiar place (a store).

If online downloading were to become the norm, would consumers care about
the difference between a warez site and an OSS site?  OSS really has to do
marketing and do it right, but the infrastructure for it is not there.

--
William Burrow, VE9WIL  --  New Brunswick, Canada     o

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Mathers)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:33:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 08 Jan 1999 01:57:01 +0100, David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>>Well, in *our* country court cases are decided by the law, not by
>>public votes, but of course, in the land that has made lynching
>>popular the procedures might be different.
>
>This from the country that made mass-gassing and ovens popular.
>glass houses..? stones..? throwing..?

It is a well-known MS tactic to imply that to be anti-Microsoft is to
somehow be un-American, but this one is really low.  It is frightening
to see how low their opinion of the American mass public must be for
them (MS strategists) to think they can get away with raising the
specter of Hitler's ghost in an attempt to smear their detractors.

This is low even for Billy.