Linux-Misc Digest #518, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 20:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  POSIX threads explained ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Stephen Hui)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Stephen Hui)
  Re: Some weird xterm behaviour! ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Jaxwell)
  Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script. ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: Troubleshooting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  where is Redhat 7.0 beta? (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (John Hasler)
  VM:  Killing process .... (Peter Alliett)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Hal Burgiss)
  logitech keyboard problem in VI (nico)
  Re: GUNZIP a 10Gb file? (David Rysdam)
  Re: Linux Promo Materials (David Rysdam)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: commands hanging in RH6.1 (Dirk Reckmann)
  Re: commands hanging in RH6.1 (Bob Martin)
  pipe?? (Davis Eric)
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: GUNZIP a 10Gb file? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Linux Promo Materials ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem? (Bob Martin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: POSIX threads explained
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:14:30 GMT

Information for anyone interested in learning POSIX

IBM developerWorks explaining POSIX threads:
A nimble tool for memory sharing
POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface) threads are a great way to
increase the responsiveness and performance of your code. In this
series, Daniel Robbins shows you exactly how to use threads in your
code. A lot of behind-the-scenes details are covered, so by the end of
this series you'll really be ready to create your own multithreaded
programs.

1st Article
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/posix1.html?
open&l=201,t=gr,p=POSIX1

2nd Article: protect the integrity of shared data structures
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/posix2/index.html?
open&l=201,t=gr,p=POSIX2

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:17:27 -0500

Database wrote:

> Whats the best window manager?
>
> database

I was using KDE for a while, but I decided to try GNOME/Sawfish just for
comparison.

Someone else made an observation that KDE is slower, and that seeems to
be my experience as well (I'm using a K6-2/300MHz with RedHat 6.2).
GNOME/Sawfish is pretty nice; very customizable.  I can use the
transparency feature in Eterm, whereas I couldn't with KDE since Eterm
reads the GNOME wallpaper instead of the KDE wallpaper.  But that's just
eye-candy....

By far, the fastest window manager I've seen (besides twm) is fvwm and
its variants.  I use plain-vanilla fvwm on my 486/100MHz with RedHat
6.2, and it's still pretty fast.  I've never used IceWM or fvwm2, so I
can't really say anything on those.

So I guess it really depends on what you want and what you have.  On
slower machines with less RAM (486's, slower 586-class processors), you
should probably stick to fvwm so you can actually get stuff done.
133MHz+, you could probably get away with GNOME or KDE.  686-class
processors and up, it doesn't really matter.  Just use what you like.

Hope this helps.
Stephen.

P.S.--I'd stay away from CDE if I were you.  IMHO, there are so many
better window managers out there (like fvwm).  Some UNIX vendors (Sun,
HP, IBM) prefer CDE for some odd reason.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:18:23 -0500

Database wrote:

> With all the graphics etc. to enlightenment. It would be slower right?
>
> database

You would think that, but I haven't really seen it make a difference on
my K6-2.  It's still a touch faster than KDE.

Stephen.

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some weird xterm behaviour!
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:27:23 -0500

On 21 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey quoth:

~~ Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:32:43 GMT
~~ From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~ > On 21 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey quoth:
~~ > I suppose in the end that does not matter, as xterm still should not
~~ > do that.  I just tried it on Solaris, and the /usr/openwin/bin/xterm
~~ > on Solaris 7 does not display this behaviour.  So what I am "seeing"
~~ > is a bug.
~~
~~ so use another program (MS telnet sounds like what you need)

  Good one, resort to sarcasm.  That will fix the problem.
If it were for attitudes like, bugs would not be fixed
and programs would never improve.

  Don't worry though, I already submitted a bug report with
XFree86.org.  But thank you for the sarcastic replies.

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: Jaxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:29:29 GMT

KDE and Gnome aren't even window managers, they are desktops. You don't
have to have virtual desktops in KDE or Gnome, you just don't know how to
use them. Personally, I like Enlightenment because you can disable all the
effects and have a small and light wm, or load it up with effects and have
an awesome looking desktop! I also like Blackbox, due to it's speed and
stability. You'll just have to try alot of them and figure out for
yourself. Oh yeah, AfterStep and WindowMaker are pretty cool also.

James

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d,comp.os.linux.setup,omp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:32:26 -0500

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, blackbird quoth:

~~ Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:46:51 -0700
~~ From: blackbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ To: Andrew N. McGuire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ "Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:
~~ >
~~ > On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, blowfish (Alex Lam) quoth:
~~ >
~~ > ~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:54:05 -0700
~~ > ~~ From: "blowfish (Alex Lam)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ > ~~ Reply-To: ..
~~ > ~~ Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.d, comp.os.linux.setup,
~~ > ~~     omp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.misc
~~ > ~~ Subject: Re: WARNING: Somebody is trojaning UseNet with Perl Script.
~~ > ~~
~~ >
~~ > [ snip post, again ]
~~ >
~~ > Sorry for the second reply, but I have looked through the Perl
~~ > script that is a supposed 'Trojan'.  It is not a Trojan Horse, it
~~ > looked like familiar bad code, and it was.  It is a 3 line RSA
~~ > encryption program written in Perl.  It is also broken and pretty
~~ > much about the worst code I have ever seen (that is taking into
~~ > account the fact that it is obfuscated as well).  In other words,
~~ > there is no reason to fear that Perl snippet, and you have just
~~ > wasted a tremendous amount of bandwidth.
~~ >
~~
~~ Sorry for another reply to this, but, the poster can maybe get the
~~ encryption keys to create a faked, signed message.

That is not a Trojan though. :-)  Also the key must be input to
the program, and is not embedded in the program itself, so there
is no need to worry about that either.

HTH && HAND

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:30:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm going to supervise a workshop were some extent of the workshop
will
> > relate to troubleshooting Linux (Red Hat).
>
> Not RH (or even Linux) specific, but
> http://pcunix.com/Unixart/troubleshooting.html might give
> you some ideas.

Tony,

Great site, the troubleshooting part was very good but the best part
was "New to Unix ?", very funny ;)
Those were almost the exact same questions I got when I held the first
workshop.

The best one is....DOTHAT\DOTHIS\AGAIN....
Almost everytime I ask my collegues to go up one directory they
type "cd..".

/Fredrik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:58:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The other revenue stream is in support contracts.  Unfortunately,
> offering good support requires a rather expensive infrastructure.  So,
> again, money is not really going to be made in that.  Not much,
> anyway.

Though I think e.g. RedHat can get a pretty good income on support
contracts. Dell has announced that RedHat linux is their 3:rd strategic
operating system side by side with Windows and Novell.
Of course time will tell but RedHat is involved with a lot of
companies, Dell, IBM etc.

/Fredrik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: where is Redhat 7.0 beta?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 22:07:23 GMT

I've searched and cannot find it on the web, anyone know where to look?

Thx

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:17:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti) writes:

> Peter T. Breuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>

> No need to flame, keep this newsgroup friendly and helpful.  It isn't that
> stupid of a question, why not contribute some useful information?

well, without any context, it *is* that stupid of a question.  what do
you want to have in a windowmanager?

go to google, type "x window manager" and hit "i'm feeling lucky".  it
ought to bring you to
<URL:http://www.plig.org/xwinman/>

> I use FVWM2, it is lightweight and fast and seems powerful, but may be
> harder to configure than others.

i use fvwm1.  faster, lighter, very stable.  it has enough features
for me to feel comfortable.  ymmv.

> I've heard Gnome is a little unstable,

gnome isn't a window manager per se.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:17:44 GMT

use tar if there are many symbolic links which needs to be copied over.

go to original directory, say olddir

tar cf - * | ( cd <newdir> && tar xvf - )

This should work.
If this doesn't copy everything, perhaps tar to a file with cf and
then tar it back out with xf option.

______
> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering
Pinky?"   |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)
|                                                 |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:34:23 GMT

I agree with Stewart. If the drive is BRAND-SPANKING new, there
shouldn't need a reboot after you partition and mkfs on it. I am
thinking that it should be like any *nix system, (I come from a Sun
platform), which should be similar. Once disk is partitioned, after you
mkfs'd, you can then mount it and use it without reboot.

Of course, I could be wrong.

But, the other Peter's suggestion is the caution way. Of course it
would work, but whether it's necessary, depends how you view it. The
non-booting method should not cause a problem since it's not
partitioning any existing filesystem.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:48:17 GMT

David Steuber writes:
> I would say that the two are completely unrelated.

I wouldn't.  Linux can do without the companies, but the companies cannot
do without Linux.  The broker quoted in the article seemed to me to be
saying that he thought that Linux would succeed, but that he wasn't so sure
about the companies.

It seems to me that the "dot-com" (and Linux) investors are betting on a
conventional choke-point business model: get control of one of the
choke-points of a new technology and make huge fortunes by squeezing money
out of them.  That is why the dot-com investors were willing to pay those
ridiculous prices: they were gambling that one of those companies would
someday be the Microsoft of the Net.

Free software and the Net are all about the elimination of choke-points.  I
think that it is quite possible that they could produce large economic
benefits to society without ever producing any Microsofts.  If this happens
the media will declare them failures (if the media still exist, that is).
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Alliett)
Subject: VM:  Killing process ....
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:19:44 GMT

I seem to have a problem with my Mandrake 7.0 server today.

It stated giving me the following messages

VM:  Killing process sendmail
VM:  Killing process named
VM:  Killing process syslogd
VM:  Killing process httpd
VM:  Killing process ipop3d

What does this mean and how do I fix it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:57:01 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:57:17 GMT, -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>That's because the '-c' option instructs e2fsck to run "badblocks" :-)

Yea, OK. But badblocks is a two step process, and e2fsck -c is just
simplifying things for us.

--
Hal B

From: nico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: logitech keyboard problem in VI
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:49:49 -0700

hello,

  i jsut got a new logitech keyboard for my laptop, (Deluxe 104), very
basic one.
i use a splitter to attach both my kboard and mouse, and it works great.
but when i am in VI, the numeric pad coes not respond and instead of
printing digits, it prints letters like ,x,z,y,t,s,...

anyone who got that problem solved?

nico
--
The young (who always want more and have no game to protect),
the artists (who always hunger for the ecstatic moment),

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: GUNZIP a 10Gb file?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 22:20:25 GMT

And William J. Schaff Spoke:
>I need to decompress a 10Gb .gz file, but gunzip and gzip complain that
>the file is too large.  This is on a 2.4 kernal which successfully
>ftp'ed the file (large file success under 2.4!).  Any ideas on how to to
>this?

I'm just guessing here, but I bet you'll have to recompile gzip on the
2.4 kernel machine.

>The original file was created by a combination of dump | gzip |
>ftpbackup and I need to restore a portion of.  If I manage to gunzip the
>.gz file, will restore be able to handle a 10GB+ file?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Subject: Re: Linux Promo Materials
Date: 21 Aug 2000 22:22:16 GMT

I dunno what you mean by "promo materials" but I DO know that when my
LUG registered themselves with Linux Journal's online site they got a
bunch of free bumperstickers and "Powered by Linux" cpu-case appliques.

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] Spoke:

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:21:44 -0500

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Stephen Hui quoth:

~~ Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:17:27 -0500
~~ From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ >

Not anymore.  Check out www.sun.com. :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dirk Reckmann)
Subject: Re: commands hanging in RH6.1
Date: 21 Aug 2000 23:35:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I'm having some commands hanging on one of my RH6.1 boxes, and I don't
>know how to find out the cause.  For example, when I do "route" the kernel IP
>table is printed, but the command prompt doesn't come back unless I type
>CTRL-C.

I had this problem a few days ago an a SuSE machine when i was playing
around with th routing table. Some entry must have been wrong (I don't
remember, which kind of mistake I made...). After correcting the
routings, 'route' was as fast as it should be.

However, my 'route'-command didn't hang at all, but took two minutes
to finish, try waiting :-)

>       When I type "tar -x [filename]", the command hangs and doesn't perform
>it's function.  CTRL-C brings back the prompt.

Well, I don't believe, those problems have anything to do with each
other... Was this a typo only in your posting? To extract a .tar file
you have to 'tar -xf [filename]' (man tar!). Otherwise tar waits for it's input
data on stdin... not much fun hacking tar archives on your keyboard :-)

Hope this helps,
  Dirk

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:44:24 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>         When I type "tar -x [filename]", the command hangs and doesn't perform
> it's function.  CTRL-C brings back the prompt.  I'm therefore unable to
> extract tar archives on this box.  I'm somewhat suspecting a disk problem, but
> there are no disk error messages coming up.  Any ideas how I can track down
> the cause and fix the problem?

You have tell tar to use a file as input with the f option; otherwise it
uses standard input.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pipe??
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:44:07 GMT

Hi, there,

Just a simple question. After reading some books, I still can not
fluently use pipes. I mean pipe the result of one command to another
command, not the pipe() function. Could anybody tell me some good
websites instructing this?

Thanks in advance.

Davis
--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 21 Aug 2000 23:52:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I agree with Stewart. If the drive is BRAND-SPANKING new, there
: shouldn't need a reboot after you partition and mkfs on it. I am

This has nothing to do with the state of the disk.

And please reply below the quote - I not going to reformat your top
quote of a bottom quote, but am going to cut the rest entirely, so
people can just guess whatever it is you are talking about while seeing
perfectly well what *I* am talking about).  Geez ..  what is it with
peoples writing and editing skills?

: Of course, I could be wrong.

: But, the other Peter's suggestion is the caution way. Of course it

What other Peter? Oh, saltpetre ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 23:56:33 GMT

David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: And William J. Schaff Spoke:
:>I need to decompress a 10Gb .gz file, but gunzip and gzip complain that
:>the file is too large.  This is on a 2.4 kernal which successfully
:>ftp'ed the file (large file success under 2.4!).  Any ideas on how to to
:>this?

: I'm just guessing here, but I bet you'll have to recompile gzip on the
: 2.4 kernel machine.

No. They can stream the file into gunzip and out again.

:>The original file was created by a combination of dump | gzip |
:>ftpbackup and I need to restore a portion of.  If I manage to gunzip the

Yes. He streamed it into gzip to create it.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 23:54:50 GMT

David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I dunno what you mean by "promo materials" but I DO know that when my
: LUG registered themselves with Linux Journal's online site they got a
: bunch of free bumperstickers and "Powered by Linux" cpu-case appliques.

He means free copies of the distro on CD, plus teeshirts and so on.
Par whenever you organize a linux conference.

(please reply BELOWWWW the quote, grrr ...=

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:51:28 -0500

"William L. Rich Jr." wrote:

> I have an NEC Versa 5060X laptop with a PCTel HSP 56kflex PCMCIA modem.  I
> have no idea how to get it to work with Linux also.  If anyone could help,
> it would be greatly appreciated.

HSP is a winmodem, you'll need to get a real modem.
--

Bob Martin