Linux-Misc Digest #571, Volume #18               Mon, 11 Jan 99 17:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Daniel Pead)
  Re: Lynx won't connect remote files... (David Damerell)
  Damn ethernet card... (Scallica)
  CRC error at boot time:  hardware related? (De Clarke)
  Re: What happened to blackdown.org (Java-Linux porting project?) (Mike Werner)
  Re: RPM & selber kompilierte Software (Pascal Rigaux)
  Re: need some terminfo/telnet advice ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: mandrake (Jacques Le Marois)
  Re: Sound working - finally! (Jesse Pavel)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Dumouchel Clermont)
  HELP do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: .... (Matt Bettencourt)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (David Kastrup)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers ("Frank T. Sronce")
  Re: What the f@#$ck is wrong with SSC ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  newbie home network question (David Boldt)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cutting and Pasting in X windows ("Paul Davies")
  Re: CHAP 4 dummies (zentara)
  Re: iomega atapi zip under RH5.2 (Raymond Doetjes)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Darin Johnson)

From: Daniel Pead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:12:46 +0000

In article <1999Jan8.153614@ukwit01>, Lack Mr G M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes
>   The issue is not whether competitors exist but rather whether MS has
>taken illegal steps to *attempt* to stifle competition.  And nothing
>that is happening at the moment or in the future can change whether it
>has committed illegal acts in the past.
>
>   Anyway, it is up to the US Justice system to sort this one out.

You can't abuse a dominant position in the market unless the market
first puts you in a dominant position.  Microsoft is where it is today
because lots of people who should have known better bought MS-DOS PCs in
favour of technically superior alternatives.  One dominant monopoly
(IBM) was replaced with another. The IT industry as a whole has yet to
admit this as a mistake, let alone take steps to stop it happening
again.

There's no point prosecuting Microsoft.  If the industry continues to
embrace restrictive, proprietary solutions then its doomed to a
succession of Microsofts.  If industry insisted on open, heterogeneous
systems NOW then M$ would be forced to shape up or ship out without any
intervention from the DOJ.

--
Daniel Pead
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    WWW: http://www.octpen.demon.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Damerell)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Lynx won't connect remote files...
Date: 11 Jan 1999 16:36:22 +0000 (GMT)

Sam Vere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was trying out Lynx recently, and I couldn't get it to connect to
>any remote files. Local files okay, internet files nothing.
>I've got my DNS servers in etc/resolv, _all_ the other browsers work,
>so why not Lynx? Have I missed something?

What does it _say_?
--
David/Kirsty Damerell.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It moves between us, for one moment, like opium in your heart, with remedies

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Damn ethernet card...
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:07:58 GMT

Hey,

I installed Redhat Linux 5.2 and it found the network card nicely. However,
when I am logged in, i keep getting a message every 5 min that sez:

eth0: transmit timed out, Tx_Status 00 status 2000 Tx FIFO room 1488

How can I get rid of this? Thanx....

------------------------------

From: De Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: CRC error at boot time:  hardware related?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:07:50 -0800

I have repeatably seen the following strangeness on my ThinkPad 760 EL
running
RedHat 4.2, during an attempt to upgrade the RAM.

I had purchased 2 32MB DIMMs which the vendor swears are the correct p/n

for this model ThinkPad.  They are official IBM DIMMs.

If I install the new DIMMs, whther 1 alone or in combination with each
other
or with the old low-density DIMM, then I consistently get two behaviour
changes:

    1) the BIOS correctly detects and sizes the memory

    2) Linux boot fails during uncompress, with a CRC error

I know that my linux boot image is not corrupt, because at any time
I can restore
the laptop to the original memory configuration, boot, and run with no
errors.

So my question for all you linux hackers out there is, What the *heck*
does the
memory configuration have to do with uncompressing the kernel?

If you have a clue, could you send mail?  The volume on Linux groups
makes it
hard for me to keep up  -- our server purges often.

de

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory,
UCSC:
:Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "There is no problem in computer science that
cannot:
:Web: www.ucolick.org |  be solved by another level of indirection"
--J.O. :

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.help
Subject: Re: What happened to blackdown.org (Java-Linux porting project?)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:01:53 -0500

I just went and looked and http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html went
to the Java Linux page.  Perhaps it was temporarily down when you
checked?
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: Pascal Rigaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM & selber kompilierte Software
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:40:10 +0100

very nice piece of german :-*

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: need some terminfo/telnet advice
Date: 11 Jan 1999 16:40:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Max Jerome  <blah> wrote:
> hi all,
>  I have been trying to get foxpro 2.6 for unix running under linux for
> medium sized multiuser app.  I have made some real progress with the
> help of some nice people, but I have a few  issues left to deal with.
> The main on is that if I telnet in, the screen does not clear/refresh
                           ^^^^^^^^^ (from what type of terminal?)

> like it should.  It was much worse before I got terminfo file from a
> guy that he edited it so it run foxpro correctly on the console.  I

"console" on Linux is the "linux" terminal type.  It usually isn't the
same as something that you would telnet in from (unless you are running
in the console on another Linux system).

> have tried several telnet programs and have found that net term shows
> everything else correctly and shows foxpro better than anything else.
> Does any body have any idea where to get a term info file that will
> work or know how to edit one? any help would be greatly appreciated

Terminfo for different terminal types differs (sometimes slightly,
sometimes a lot).  If you know the terminal type you're using, you
can find the correct terminfo.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jacques Le Marois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mandrake
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:07:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wanted to try it and paid 8$ or what ever and it never arrived a call
> and a couple of emails later I was told that it shipped Nov 18 '98 and
> it never arrived. All I got was an 8$ charge on the credit card  a long
> distance bill and no software. Caveat emptor.

This is a problem with the on-line shop you take. it do not concern
specifically Mandrake.

Jacques.

From: Jesse Pavel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound working - finally!
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:35:22 -0500

You can look at the files dma, interrupts, and ioports in the /proc
directory to find the resource usage of your system.

 - Jesse

------------------------------

From: Dumouchel Clermont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:32:50 -0600

What is MICRO nad SOFT
LINUX that is what I grew up with.

------------------------------

From: Matt Bettencourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: ....
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:59:12 -0600

All of a sudden my machine seems to be acting very funny.  Any time I
access any service I get the following error
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Example, if I send a mail I get this, if I su I get this,  everything
else seems to work fine (i.e., ls,gcc,...)
I am not running yp at all right now
{weebler.ssc 24} ps ax | grep -i yp
  569  p0 S    0:00 grep -i yp

and there are no yp services in my inetd.conf file.  I don't know why it
is using yp.
{weebler.ssc 25} fgrep -i yp /etc/inetd.conf

I have only updated these packages in the last week
kernel-2.0.36-3 from 2.0.36-1
libc-5.3.12-28 from the standard 5.1 version
netscape-common-4.08 from 4.07

the libc made my wordperfect work better and the other two were on the
suggested update page.  Any help would be great :>
Thanks
Matt

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:24:09 +0100

Daniel Pead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <1999Jan8.153614@ukwit01>, Lack Mr G M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> writes
> >   The issue is not whether competitors exist but rather whether MS has
> >taken illegal steps to *attempt* to stifle competition.  And nothing
> >that is happening at the moment or in the future can change whether it
> >has committed illegal acts in the past.
> >
> >   Anyway, it is up to the US Justice system to sort this one out.
>
> You can't abuse a dominant position in the market unless the market
> first puts you in a dominant position.

Quite so.  But the market can helped putting you there.  And once you
*are* in a dominant position, there is a lot of opportunity for making
sure you stay there.  Some of this might suppress competition by ways
not based on relative merit.  Monopoly laws demand that once you are
big, you should mostly keep your relative position by getting taller,
not by stomping the smaller ones underfoot.

Actually, a dominant position in the OS market (when one has a highly
non-standardized oerating system like Microsoft) is quite secure even
without actively rooting others out.

If Microsoft cannot wait to have others die on their own, it must be
restrained.

> Microsoft is where it is today
> because lots of people who should have known better bought MS-DOS PCs in
> favour of technically superior alternatives.  One dominant monopoly
> (IBM) was replaced with another. The IT industry as a whole has yet to
> admit this as a mistake, let alone take steps to stop it happening
> again.

Unification of computing platforms was not a mistake per se.  But they
probably should not have chosen a company with a crazed dictatorial
leader wanting world domination for that purpose.

That is like asking Attila the Hun to come and protect a small
country.  Yes, he will come.

> There's no point prosecuting Microsoft.  If the industry continues to
> embrace restrictive, proprietary solutions then its doomed to a
> succession of Microsofts.

It is not illegal to offer restrictive, proprietary solutions and
should not be.  It *is* illegal to push this sort of solutions by
anticompetitive measures not allowed by the law.  To find whether this
has happened and what to do about it is the purpose of the trial.

> If industry insisted on open, heterogeneous systems NOW then M$
> would be forced to shape up or ship out without any intervention
> from the DOJ.

This is not something to change easily.  Once it does, it will be hard
to stop, though.  That is the reason Microsoft is scared stiff about
Linux.  While the Linux sales are still peanuts as compared to
Windows, the extension, development and deployment of Linux grows
exponentially and there is no abatement in sight yet.

And there is no suitable party for an attack of the sort Microsoft
could finance in sight, either.

Still, if wanting to bet on a breakdown, I would rather start selling
Webportal stocks instead of Microsoft right now, but a few years time
might make a difference.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: "Frank T. Sronce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:48:31 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Robert Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Poison Ivan wrote:
>
> > > In what sense are consumers overpaying for software?
>
> > All version of M$-DOS went for around $39 (which was "state of the
> > art" at that time).  Heck, even WinNT 3.50 only cost $45.  So why
> > does Win95/Win98 (which are still based on the old DOS code base,
> > and thus only upgrades of the original DOS) cost 2 to 3 times as much
> > as DOS did?
>
> One reason: Microsoft controls 95% of all consumer desktops.
> Those invested in Microsoft software and their weak operating
> systems have no option.  Gates and company can charge whatever
> they want to the Microsoft addicted.  That's the name of the
> monopoly game.
>
>      -douglas lentini-

        A few years back, there was also the very serious accusation that
MS was going around telling computer manufacturers, "Officially, you can
bundle whatever you want on your systems.  Unofficially, if we find out
that you've bundled anything BUT a Microsoft product, we'll rearrange our
distribution scheme to make sure that every single copy of Win95 is
allocated before we ever get to you.  Since ours is the most popular OS
available right now, that should put you out of business in a year or so."

        That's the sort of "illegal actions" that MS is accused of.
Hardly fair business practice.

Kiz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What the f@#$ck is wrong with SSC ???
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:56:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  MikeP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> J H Lusty wrote:
> > All that has happened is that I have had my credit card debited for a
> > one year subscription (not two years as asked), and no magazine !
[...]
> > I also ordered the back copies of LJ on the two CD's that SSC
> > advertise on their Web Site, with the same non-result.
> >
> > Anybody else having problems ?
[...]
> I subscribed via the web page, and I received my first issue in 4 weeks.
> Then again, I also live in the states.

Last year I got a single LJ CD quite promptly. I've had some issues of the
Linux Journal arrive a little later than I expected, but they've always
come.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
================= http://members.iquest.net/~jbuchana ====================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Boldt)
Subject: newbie home network question
Date: 11 Jan 1999 21:13:45 GMT

  I am trying to set up a home network based
on ethernet.  The system is also connected
sporatically to the internet via PPP.  Is
there an IP domain range that would be advisable?

Does it make any difference?   I don't want to
collide with any existing network, but I don't
think I can register anything in DNS.

remove the ".UNSPAM to reply"
--
            --david boldt  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  "A lie is halfway around the world
   before the truth gets its boots on."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:11:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Peter Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> JD Weiner wrote:
>
> > Daniel Pead wrote:
> >
> > > Sure - if a non-technical user wants an easy-to-use UNIX workstation,
> > > all they have to do is spend a couple of weeks twiddling with script
> > > files.
> >
> >     Come on, that's a little unfair.  I'll give you an example: I installed
> > Blackbox (it's a window manager, for those who don't know) at home last
> > night.  Nothing about the install required much technical knowledge.  I
> > believe I had to use "bzip", "tar", and "chmod" to get it to work,
>
> OK, you people are truly living on another planet.
>
> When I think about "ease of use", I ask myself the question "could my
> grandmother do this task?  Would she be intimidated by it and afraid of it?"
> PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF COMPUTERS.  If you don't know people who are afraid of
> computers and would simply not use them instead of having to type "chmod" or
> "bzip," it does not mean that the people pointing out that people buy Windows
> for a reason are wrong, rather, it means that YOU DON'T GET OUT ENOUGH, and
you
> need to meet more normal people.
>
> People use mice.  People like MacOS and Microsoft because the main user
> experience is POINTING, which they understand.  I would propose that having to
> type "bzip," "tar," and "chmod" is not a user experience which anyone
> non-technical should ever have to understand(*).  The fact that I happen to
like
> doing things that way doesn't mean that I should expect others to like it.
>
> Peter
> * Now I'm waiting for the Linux Weenie puritan argument that my grandma needs
> know how to use bash because it's for her own good.

The reason Linux advocates are often anti-Microsoft is not because we despise
the GUI, it's because Microsoft Windows platforms are unstable and unfixable.
Many, many people find that Windows crashes and otherwise fucks up as often as
several times a day. That is a matter of recorded fact as well as personal
experience. It's not much use giving your Granny a flashy GUI if it
_just_doesn't_work_. Most of the time when windows scres up there is just
nothing you can do about it. At least with Linux it is possible to fix things
that are broken even if it isn't always easy.

You probably shouldn't use derogatory terms like 'Linux Weenie'; it just shows
that you are one of those narrow-minded Microsoft robots that has permitted a
purveyor of unreliable software to seize dominance of the market. Well, the
truth will out as they say and it seems like your type are finally on the
decline. You'd better start learning Linux before you find yourself on the
unemployment queue...

   __   _                              Ralph Clark, Virgo Solutions Ltd.
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ TM
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ powered!     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cutting and Pasting in X windows
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:26:24 -0800

I don't have a middle mouse button.

Is there an alternative?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (zentara)
Subject: Re: CHAP 4 dummies
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:36:34 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:41:44 -0800, "Wael Sedky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi
> In continuation to my problem, I downloaded ezppp and got it going, but I
>still can't logon.
>
>I renamed my options file and created an empty one.
>I have a chap-secrets file with "myname * password" in it.

My ezppp uses pap, so try and put the same chap settings into
your pap-secrets file. Also make sure your loginname is correct.

>I did all the steps recommended for beginners.
>I ran ezppp, created a new connection.
>I filled in the DNS servers, because in win95 I only have DNS servers in my
>settings.

>I left DNS search domain empty as I don't have any of those in my win95
>settings.

I think you should put the name of your isp in here.
Maybe : attcanada.net

Look at your /etc/resolv.conf, it should look like

search attcanada.net
nameserver 123.456.789
nameserver 123.456.788

>I checked "user terminal instead of script.
>I dial, when I see the connect, a new window opens so I click "start ppp" or
>something like that.
>At the login prompt I get disconnected. My win95 log tells me that I am
>using CHAP, so that is not a problem.
>
>Any clues on how to fix that? I should also note that my provider uses my
>entire email address as the login name.

Also look at your /etc/host.conf
it should say:
order hosts bind
multi on

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iomega atapi zip under RH5.2
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:15:08 +0100

This wrong, you need to enable SCSI support!!! Because the PPA driver (zip
driver) uses SCSI IEEE standard comamnds to communicate. If you done that you can
do insmod ppa and your device should be on /dev/sdc4 or dev/sdb4

From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 11 Jan 1999 13:55:11 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David H. McCoy) writes:

> Make up your mind. The first person claimed that Win9x/NT, you did see
> the NT, didn't you, is not being used for anything critical.
> That is not correct.

Yes, but he didn't say just WinNT - thus implying at least one idiot
out there was trying to place critical apps on Win9x...

--
Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.