Linux-Misc Digest #571, Volume #21               Sat, 28 Aug 99 16:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  Re: VMware - wow! (Christopher Browne)
  Re: What is a demand-paged-executable (QMAGIC)? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: "starve the rotten little bastards" (Christopher Browne)
  Where on earth is 'bing'? (Ramon F Herrera)
  Re: Shutdown Problem (David Fox)
  Help with HP 812C printer... (Mevacor)
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Christopher Browne)
  Re: How to uninstall package compiled by source code? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?) (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: It's crashed yet again! (William D. Leara)
  Re: Linux SMP question (Doug DeJulio)
  quick tar question (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ? ("Steven K. Iinuma")
  Re: Strange bootup message in RH 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI tape drive suggestions? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? ("Max Reason")
  What on earth is 'bing'? (Frank v Waveren)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:30 GMT

On 27 Aug 1999 15:23:07 -0400, Doug DeJulio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The part of this that's a shame is that it'd only take a few tweaks
>to IA32 to make virtualization really possible.  I believe a non-Intel
>vendor (eg. AMD) could do those tweaks in a way that doesn't break
>compatability with any code that isn't aware of it, and build a truely
>virtualizable x86 box.  But nobody appears to have done so.

It is indeed a shame.

Given that virtualization, it would become reasonable to *simply* host
OSes on top of themselves, which would make kernel hacking quite a lot
easier.

It would make it easier to build Rather Robust Systems...

It represents a rather different direction than what is typical these
days.  These days, there is vast amounts of blathering about how we
need to have better support for threading.

The VM approach goes in the opposite direction; instead of having
fine-grained threading where you share as much as possible, you move
to having completely separate virtual machines, where in order to get
data between VMs, some Special Code needs to be invoked.

This would be pretty slick for building Rather Secure web servers; it
would in effect provide hardware support for having the firewall on
the same box as other servers.

A VM would be assigned to talk to the "port that goes to the outside
world;" it would do what immunization was necessary, and by the time
data got out of that VM to another VM, it would be made suitably safe.

You could "reboot the firewall" almost at will; it would obviously
have a bad effect on any connections that were open, but if those are
virtual network connections, they would be fairly cleanly handled by
the TCP/IP layer.
--
"No, you misunderstand. Microsoft asked some hackers how they could
make their system secure - the hackers replied "Turn it off.". So they

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: What is a demand-paged-executable (QMAGIC)?
Date: 28 Aug 1999 13:49:49 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Oliver Gebele wrote:
> teog@Xpc64:~/tmp/nec > file nec
> nec: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked
> (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
> then browsing throu the internet i found a linux-executable
>
> teog@Xpc64:~/tmp/nec > file nec2.linux
> nec2.linux: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC)
>
> so what is that? and how was it created?

Some flavor of libc4 ("a.out") executable, possibly?

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: "starve the rotten little bastards"
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:33 GMT

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:49:53 -0400 (EDT), Gabriel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:35:21 GMT, Christopher B. Browne
>wrote:
>>Mapping that principle onto the teeming millions of people, if little
>>or nothing is being done about problems in your inner city regions,
>>that represents reasonable evidence that people truly don't care about
>>those problems.
>
>that's a very strange notion of "caring", that seems contrary to any
>real life experience. It suggests that action is the only and true
>measure of intention. The reason why we bother to have two separate
>concepts for the two is because we experience a difference between
>them.

Some claim that they care about the problems, but do nothing about
them.

Others establish quite clearly that they care about the problems by
the fact that they take action to resolve the problems.

I would suggest the thought that intent that never leads to action is
pretty much devoid of any Real World value.

[Any resemblance between the structure of my comments and a well-known
letter written some years ago by a guy called James is purely
intentional, and such parallels would be made clearer by
s/care about the problems/have faith/g
s/pretty much devoid of any Real World value/dead/g
s/intent that never leads to action/faith without works/g
]
--
PURITAS NECESSE EST -- DON'T DO RANDOM BINDINGS.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ramon F Herrera)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: Where on earth is 'bing'?
Date: 28 Aug 1999 19:16:37 GMT

Does anyone know the fate of 'bing'?

I searched all over but most links lead to a web page with what
appears to be a message in French, telling me to go away.

There seems to be only an old version available (1.0.4) which
doesn't compile in the platforms I need (Solaris and Linux).

Any info will be most appreciated.

-Ramon F. Herrera

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Shutdown Problem
Date: 28 Aug 1999 11:28:49 -0700

Gert van der Knokke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Fox wrote:
>
> > Alan Swartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > I'm curious: Why would you want to do that?
> >
> > Perhaps to use Linux as the basis of an appliance like a stereo system.
>
> Just an idea, I made a Linux based mp3 CD player and I use the UPS
> software to properly shut down the system. My power button is
> overruled by a relay as soon it it switched on, therefore you can't
> manually switch it off after that.  An extra contact on the
> powerbutton 'informs' the system the state of the power switch and
> Linux does a nice shutdown -h now after it detects the power switch
> being released. (I used a standard double pole switch, one pole for
> the mains, the other for the 'powerstate' input.  And the end of the
> shutdown procedure the relay is dropped by a line on the serial
> port.  Neat and simple. This way a user can't accidently turn the
> system off (unless he pulls the plug of course) On such a system you
> can mount almost all of the system as read-only, just /tmp or /var
> as read/write.  To be on the safe side you can force a sync after
> writing 'delicate' data to these directories.

I would be inclined to try to construct the writable file systems from
scratch in a ramdisk each time you boot.  That way you don't have to
worry about pulling the plug.  For an appliance it should be ok to
boot into the same state every time.  You would want to store a few
settings like volume, that could be done by mounting a small partition
read write.  If that partition ever got hosed you could just re-create
it using the factory settings.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Mevacor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Help with HP 812C printer...
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:30:59 GMT

Hello,

After reading several postings regarding HP 812C printer, I decided to
purchase one since it is not a Win-Printer or Host-Based Printer. Thus, it
should workk with other OS, such as Linux or Mac. Well, I am using Red Hat
5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) and I cannot get the Printer Tool to configure this
printer. I used generic HP driver for 500, 600, and Deskjet series printer.
When I try to print out an ASCII or Postscript test page, I get an error
message appearing on top of the printed page. It reads "No way to print
this type of input file:".

Has anyone got HP 812C printer to work in Linux? If so, which driver did
you use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you can, please reply to my email. TIA.

Kai

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:30 GMT

On 27 Aug 1999 15:37:24 -0400, Collin W. Hitchcock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is a danger that Microsoft will attempt to `absorb' Linux by
>> distributing its own version which contains Microsoft only
>> extensions.  But they would have to be careful about how they did
>> that because of the GNU Pulic License.  Linux enthusiasts should
>> avoid being seduced by anything Microsoft offers along these lines.
>
>What would these Microsoft extensions look like?  Would they be
>GUI-like additions to make Linux look more like Windows or would they
>be attempts to change the foundation (proprietary kernel modules,
>"enhanced" versions of basic system utilities etc.)?

I think it is *easy* to identify the most logical MICROS~1 extension;
it can be characterized in four characters:
      DCOM

COM/COM+/DCOM is the mechanism that they appear to have been using as
the basic "infrastructure" for all of the new stuff that has come out
over the last year or so.

When you consider that they have paid to have DCOM ported to Linux
(see URL below for details and relevant URLs), it makes a *vast*
amount of sense to try to push MICROS~1 software onto Linux to run
atop a proprietary DCOM.

This represents a Critical Interface that MICROS~1 would control, and
whose control could then be used readily as a "bludgeon" to force the
adoption of other MICROS~1 technologies.

DCOM is an obvious "force" that must be resisted.
--
"Running Windows on  a Pentium is like having a  brand new Porsche but
only be able  to drive backwards with the  handbrake on."

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How to uninstall package compiled by source code?
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Aug 1999 11:27:11 -0700

There are at least a couple of tools, SmartInst and instmon, which track
what was on you disk before and after a software install. I don't know
if they have features to make un-install easy, but they at least make
it possible.  SmartInst is a wrapper of the "install" program used by
most "make" scripts.  instmon just runs before and after your install.

SmartInst is at http://www.iae.nl/users/grimaldo/smartinst.shtml

instmon is probably at the usual archives.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:26 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:32:18 -0500, John Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Christopher B. Browne wrote:
>>
>> After all, even if the instructor is a severe ignoramus, the
>> instructor is still the authority responsible for giving out
>> grades.
>
>Tell me, how proud would you be to get a good grade in
>a situation such as this? Is that all that matters - get
>a good grade, bow to The Man, etc.? Never mind that
>they are *wrong*?

Would I be proud of the grade I got in such a course?  Certainly not.
I would regard the course as being one of the Worthless Ones.  Any
degree is likely to have some such courses.

The point is that there are fights worth fighting, and there are
fights not worth fighting.  If the plan is to fight the battle
necessary to "fix" the problem, you have to be prepared for all the
ensuing consequences.

It is not at all obvious that, in a reasonably traditional academic
bureaucracy, there is *any* opportunity for a student to take on this
conflict and have any expectation of an outcome that could be regarded
as "winning."

Your implication that I'm suggesting merely being a toady is one that
I find extremely offensive, and would not reasonably arrived at by
reading the posting that I wrote.

I added the supplemental suggestion of volunteering to research
computer security with a view to a syllabus that would favor neither
UNIX nor NT, as neither OS should be the focus of the research.

That suggestion represents the academic equivalent to guerrilla
warfare, also known as "Low Intensity Conflict."
--
"We believe Windows 95 is a walking antitrust violation" -- Bryan Sparks
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/security.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Best language for graphical apps?
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:28 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:56:24 +0100, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  I am not sure why you say XBasic "is not portable".  Perhaps
>>  I misunderstand your intended meaning, but you seem to say
>>  XBasic design/architecture make XBasic impossible to port.
>
>My guess is that it's because it's not entirely written in a portable
>language. The key is when you put:
>
>"XBasic is written entirely in XBasic (plus a little asm)."
>
>The first bit sounds fine, in that when you write a backend to
>support a new architecture, an existing version can write the new
>one: but assembler isn't portable.

It is not necessary for XBasic to be "Impossible to port" in order for
it to never be ported to any other platform; it merely needs to be
sufficiently inconvenient that nobody can be bothered to do so.

This links back to the issue of it not being formally "free software;"
if there are no formal guarantees that contributions to the XBasic
code base will continue to be available to the community, that
represents a significant barrier to such contributions.

Result: Someone that might have written (say) a PPC code generator
might instead work on the Python/GLADE interface, as that's already
portable, and is known to be free.
--
"It worked about as well as sticking a blender in the middle of a lime
plantation and hoping they'll make margaritas out of themselves."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:27 GMT

On 27 Aug 1999 12:03:05 +0100, Paul Flinders
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith) writes:
>> On a micro level, I believe the best way is to write the code the most
>> straightforward way possible first, _then_ when it all works, come back
>> and see where you can tweak it to be faster.  Remember, slower, working
>> code is always better than faster, broken code.
>
>That's true unless the very slowness _is_ the breakage.
>
>Also with more multimedia stuff fast but not completely accurate can be
>preferable to slow but complete (i.e would you prefer speech recognition
>which ran in real time but which occasionally got it wrong to speech
>recognition which took 5 minutes to recognise 10 seconds speech but always
>got it right).

Slower, working code that reads in a straightforward manner, which
thereby makes it easy to make code transformations, is easier to
optimize than slightly faster code where bits have been tuned, and
thereby are virtually non-modifiable.
--
"Some sins carry with them their own automatic punishment.  Microsoft is
one such.  Live by the Bill, suffer by the Bill, die by the Bill."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 28 Aug 1999 18:07:33 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 99 18:32:21 GMT, Phil Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Miles Bader" writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock) writes:
>> > I feel obligated to post my advocacy for the Perl interface since
>> > nobody else has yet and I strongly object to the white-space syntax
>> > limitations of Tcl and Python on religious grounds.
>>
>> Sure, python's treatment of white-space sucks, but perl, well... in
>> perl, it's the *non-white-space* that sucks.
>>
>> [I find it quite sad that an otherwise nice language like python has
>> such a huge festering blemish.  What *was* the author thinking?!?]
>
>When I first tried Python, I was more than a little dubious about
>the syntax, but the more I tried it the more I got used to it, and
>eventually I liked it.
>
>You might try persevering with Python a bit longer, to see if
>the same happens to you.

Indeed.

There seem to be dogmatic positions about the evils of Python's
ability to use whitespace to signify control structures;
unfortunately, the dogmatic positions seem more often based on blind
faith than on tenable arguments.

(Often enough from people that one would expect to be more skeptical
of dogma...)

I haven't written any Python code in a goodly year; I expected to but
didn't find its handling of whitespace to be a "huge festering
blemish."
--
"Parentheses? What parentheses? I haven't noticed any parentheses
since my first month of Lisp programming.  I like to ask people who

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William D. Leara)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: It's crashed yet again!
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:40:01 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>       Try XFCE3.  No Worries.  I can crash them all from twm to kde.  XFCE
> never has crashed to a place that I couldn't get another term and get
> outa it..
>
> And I do Crazy Stuff....  Vmware inside of vmware??????

Sounds like something MC Escher might do on his computer . . .

William

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug DeJulio)
Subject: Re: Linux SMP question
Date: 28 Aug 1999 14:37:04 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tim Moore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Celeron's don't do SMP without modification.
>
>> the machine shows any signs of being over loaded. If you are going to
>> be running a SMP machine I would recommend going with a dual
>> celeron. The performance is great and the cost is about half.

Slot1 Celerons don't do SMP without modification.  Socket 370 Celerons
*can* do SMP without modification.

In particular, there are Socket370-to-Slot1 adapter cartridges that
you can use to put a Socket 370 Celeron into a Slot1 motherboard, and
some of these have a simple jumper arrangement that can enable SMP
without modification of the Celeron itself.
--
Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

------------------------------

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: quick tar question
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:51:42 -0400

Sorry to post this, but I've been unable to find a solution even after
reading and rereading over and over again the man page for tar... it's a
little unclear.

Does anyone know what command to use to add files to an archive?  For
example, if I have a file called updates.tar.gz, how would I add *rpm to
this archive?

Regards,

Mladen

------------------------------

From: "Steven K. Iinuma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Any Voodoo 3000 (OEM) drivers for Linux ?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:46:34 -0700

I'm running a dual boot Win 98/RH 6.0 Linux with Kernel 2.2.5-22.
I was wondering if there are any Linux drivers besides the generic
XFree86 (3.3.3.5) drivers.

When I run the GNOME desktop manager. The colors don't show right,
especially if I run Netscape 4.51. For example web pages load, but
the colors don't show up correctly.

Other problems I have noticed the icons inside the desktop manager
look grainy. I don't need any 3D or OpenGL support, but I would like
it if my Voodoo 3000 acted like a normal video card by displaying
the colors as they should be instead of Netscape showing up odd
colors or my taskbar looking grainy. Even my the SiS 6326 card I
had displayed my colors as they should be.

Question: Is any anybody running RH 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5-22 with
          either KDE or GNOME installed using the Voodoo 3000 AGP
          card. If so, what drivers are you using?

When will 3dfx release Linux drivers!?!
Ugh...I'm glad I still have Windoze, at least my card works there.

Thank you for suggestions.
--
Please reply to the newsgroup. If you need to contact me via e-mail
then remove "sd".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Strange bootup message in RH 6.0
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:57:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  CJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jayan M wrote:
> >
> > change the line "onboot=yes" to "onboot=no"
> > in the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
> >
> > to prevent it from starting during boot.
> >
> > Jayan
> >
> > Mark Mykkanen wrote:
> >
> > > Whenever I boot my system I get this error added to my
/var/log/messages
> > > and sometimes to my boot screen...I think it has to do with the
loopback
> > > device, but I don't know what I have configured wrong.
> > >
> > > Jul 27 00:10:42 shamu init: Entering runlevel: 3
> > > Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:0
> > > Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:1
> > > Jul 27 00:10:45 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:2
> > > Jul 27 00:10:47 shamu modprobe: can't locate module lo:49
> > > Jul 27 00:10:47 shamu network: Bringing up interface lo succeeded
> > >
> > > Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?
>
> I don't have /etc/sysconfig/net... on my system. But wouldn't that
just
> turn the loopback off. You might need the loopback to run certain
> programs.
>
> From the log it looks like it is trying to load the 'lo' module.
>
> Why are you bringing the loopback up? The only time I ever messed with
> the loopback was when I selected it to be compiled into the kernel. I
> haven't thought about it since. Wait... one time to mount an iso
image.

Certain programs need it. I think mounting images of any kind has
nothing to do with it. The mount -o loop is something else.
Recompile the kernel with IP_ALIAS=yes (if you need it), OR uninstall
linuxconf OR wait for the new release of linuxconf/initscripts. It's a
bug not a fault.

> I would recompile the kernel with loopback compiled in NOT as a
module.

Would loopback compile as module? Jamais couche avec!

> Make sure you do a 'make modules modules_install' after building the
> kernel. And kill the module modules.dep file and reboot. And forget
> about the loopback and move on to something else. JMO

Or about linuxconf ...

> CJ

Horia

Subject: Re: SCSI tape drive suggestions?
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Aug 1999 11:50:59 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson) writes:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:39:24, "Ben Humphreys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a SCSI Seagate Travan TR4. Cost me in OEM packaging (not retail)
> > about $400 australian. I'd say they should go for around US$300.
> >
> > Capacity is 4Gb uncompressed, they don't have hardware compression but 'tar
> > zcvf' should fix that! The only downside is that the tapes are a bit
> > expensive.
>
> I found two sites that specializes in refurbished drives with warranties
> whose prices rival that you can find on taking a risk on ebay.

Maybe you'll get one of mine.  I was worrying if Linux was to blame
until, finally, five months later, the fourth one worked.  There's a
repair depot I don't care to deal with again.  All kinds of silly rules about
packing, will only accept delivery by one particular shipper, delays, etc.

I shouldn't have violated my custom of buying either the best (HP,
Exebyte?) or the cheapos from the warehouse store, though that Seagate
model was pretty cheap.  It'd sure be nice if some big tape drive users
or sellers could publish some statistics on reliability.

------------------------------

From: "Max Reason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:52:54 -0000

Phil Hunt wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In article <37c7610f@coconut-wireless>
>           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Max Reason" writes:
>> > My dictionary begins its definition of Free with:
>> > "adj, not subject to external constraints or domination"
>> > as in "freedom".  Only much later on, toward the end, does
>> > it mention "without expense" - so the former would appear to
>> > be the main meaning, with "free lunch" as a subsiduary meaning.
>> > So as far as I can see, the comp.os.linux.* meaning is
>> > perfectly correct.....and no-one is redefining anything!
>>
>>  Okay, now inanimate "standards" or "objects" like Linux
>>  have individual human rights - "freedom".
>
> No, it is people who use Linux who have freedom.
>
>>  How brilliant!
>>  Obviously you have the right meaning.  How dumb of me!
>
> You said it.

 No kidding, I must be stupid.  The word "free" in "free software"
 does not modify "software", it modifies something not even in
 the sentence!  Yikes, I should have stayed awake in English class!
 Now I understand that when a car dealer gives me a free car,
 I have to pay for the car, but I am free - even if I live in the worst
 totalitarian dictatorship in history.  That's nice to know.  This is
 the basis of a great new series of ad campaigns - "free long distance",
 "free Big Macs", "free everything".  You should definitely earn big bucks
 in a glitzy ad-agency somewhere - or work for the Clinton administration.
 Pretty much the same thing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: What on earth is 'bing'?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:51:26 GMT

Just out of curiosity...

--

                        Frank v Waveren