Linux-Misc Digest #578, Volume #18               Tue, 12 Jan 99 03:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Adaptec 1542 and 2.1.132 kernel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sound working - finally! (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Netscape 4.5 problem (Richard Adams)
  new to Linux administration, need help... ("Scott Chu")
  Chase Research DB8 card (J.M. "Jersey" Miszczyk)
  Re: RedHat-5.2 and Sys-V IPC.. (Henry Zheng)
  Re: xdm respawning too fast (L J Bayuk)
  Re: Stable Word Processor (Ruben Decrop)
  Re: [Famous Finn] Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help  (Claude
Hager)
  Soundblaster under Debian 2.0 (Ramesh Natarajan)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Leslie Mikesell)
  Problems running XFree86 after installing Redhat Linux 5.2 ("Steve Sanyal")
  Red Hat 5.2 is great, But............ ("Tate Jackson")
  Re: Logging in terminals automatically (Duncan Simpson)
  Re: Apache 1.3.3 - multiple cgi-bin/ dir's without ScriptAlias? ("Perus")
  Re: Redhat Installation ("Jeff Volckaert")
  Re: ScanPort SQ-1030 scanner and Linux? (Andreas Mohr)
  Cutting and Pasting in X windows ("Paul Davies")
  QuickCam etc... : Linux compatibility and software availability (Neil Zanella)
  Re: Newbie Needs Linux Help [was: nasty comment about Linus] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RedHat-5.2 and Sys-V IPC.. (ishwar rattan)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers ("Keith Peterson")
  setuid for ppd ("Rick Glunt")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Adaptec 1542 and 2.1.132 kernel
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:12:28 GMT

I am having an issue with my SCSI card and the development kernel, here are
the specifics:

RedHat 5.2
Adaptec 1542 Adapter
Philips CDD-2600 CDR
Generic 24x SCSI CD-ROM

During the install of RH 5.2 I am able to specify the correct options for my
SCSI card (bases=0X234) and it works wonerfully.  However, to get my video
card to work I had to upgrade to the latest kernel, 2.1.132 at the time.
Well, after compiling the kernel the SCSI devices no longer work.  I compiled
the kernel with SCSI support and the 1542 driver.  I am at a loss on how to
get this thing working right?  Should I try to patch the kernel up to the
most current and recompile?  Or is it a configuration issue?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Shad

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound working - finally!
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:42:31 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake unto us, saying:

>question - with a running linux system - is there a utility
>which will tell me more about what hardware is using what
>DMA and IRQs?
>
>or do I have to go into windoze?

In Red Hat, at least, you should be able to do an "lsdev" command.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +

------------------------------

From: Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.5 problem
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:25:55 PST

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Andreas Micklei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed
with fingers of fury:
: In comp.os.linux.development.apps Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : Or even better: Use Lynx. *hiding* ;-)
:> Don't make fun of Lynx, I still use it because its fast for getting text

: I wouldn't. I also use Lynx almost every day. It is great to have a quick
: look at a html file without having to wait until netscape decides if it
: wants to start today or tomorrow.
: I was hiding because I thought it was a rude comment when somebody
: requested help with Netscape.

: Maybe I will put that nifty "Lynx extreme" logo on my Webpage one day.
: I already have the "Vim powered" logo. ;-)

:    ciao...
:           Andreas Micklei

I neglected to qualify exactly why lynx is much faster for getting text, I
run ppp over a modem connection which only seems to yield about 10k,
rather than the 28.8 displayed upon it.  Downloading graphics is a luxury
and going to some links which are graphics intensive is cause to just go
to sleep and see what's on the screem when I get up the next morning.

Alas, still no answers on the html variable/text area problems.

------------------------------

From: "Scott Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new to Linux administration, need help...
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:34:04 +0800

I am new to Linux administration, need help to get some answers about
following questions:

1. what brand of 100MB network card does Linux support, which boot kernel
file should I select (I used 3COM 3c905 and scsinet.s but can't find the
NIC)
2. how to backup entire HD from Linux?
3. for Win NT, what file system should I select? and how to do multiboot of
Linux and NT using LILO?
4. Using Microsoft outlook to read/write mail via sendmail of Linux,
frequently I can't use mail, (say my email is user1@....), then I found a
file called user1 in /usr/tmp/.pop, if I delete it, the mail is back, but
some time it will come back again, why? how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Scott Chu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.M. "Jersey" Miszczyk)
Subject: Chase Research DB8 card
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:34:06 GMT

I am looking for Linux drivers for the Chase Research DB8, AT 8port
dumb card
Best regards :)))
Jersey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry Zheng)
Subject: Re: RedHat-5.2 and Sys-V IPC..
Date: 11 Jan 99 16:03:21 GMT

From: hzheng@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE (Henry Zheng (C))
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 99 16:03:21 GMT

These are the responses I received a few days ago. After all,
I installed Oracle 8.0.5 into my RedHat 5.2 system without
modifying the kernel parameters. Everything seems to be working
up to now.

Henry

> all of those parameters should be set in the .h[eader] files which come
> with the kernel sourcecode...once you change them, you recompile and move
> onto the next problem

First, would you excuse me for my (very) bad english !
You  have to modify theses headers files :
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/shmparam.h -> SHMMAX, SHMMIN, SHMMNI, SHMSEG
becarefull ! SHMMAX is in hexa !
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/sem.h -> SEMMNS, SEMMNI, SEMMSL

    Laurent BIZE

Actually, this isn't required at all.  I started setting up Linux with the
parameters that Oracle specifies it requires.  After not finding several
parameters and having a fun time accomplishing the little that I did, I
decided to try installing.  (What's the worst that can happen?  It crash?)

We now have a system running with Oracle 8.0.5.  (This is a system converted
over from Interactive Unix.)  The conversion is almost complete and the
database is running without a problem.  BTW, I used Redhat 5.1.

Terry Steyaert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ishwar rattan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I am planning to install Oracle-805 under RedHat-5.2. I need to
: modify the kernel parameters for shared memory IPC. If you know
: where the modifications will take place (config/header files etc.),
: please give me pointers. The info is like -- (looks SYSV IPC to me..)
:
: SHMMAX 4294967295
: SHMMIN 1
: SHMMNI 100
: SHMMSG 10
: SHMMNS 200
: SEMMNI 70
: SEMMSL value greater than vlaue of PROCESSES initialization parameter
:
: Thanks in advence,
: - iswhar
 __

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: xdm respawning too fast
Date: 12 Jan 1999 01:21:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I recently removed the -nodaemon option from the xdm entry in my
>/etc/inittab file.
>
>Now I get this error:
>
>INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
>What does this mean, and how can I fix it?
>
>Is there any advantage of running xdm as a daemon?

Not to state the obvious, but you've just seen the disadvantage
of running it as not-a-daemon! Seriously, though, you must
use -nodaemon when running from inittab. Otherwise xdm puts
itself in the background (by forking a child process and exiting),
and init sees the parent process go away and thinks it died, and
tries to re-spawn it, over and over...

------------------------------

From: Ruben Decrop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stable Word Processor
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:19:18 +0100

<HTML>
Jesse Pavel wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hello,
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm planning to change a
cluster of Pentium 100MHz/32MB RAM machines in
<BR>my workplace from Windows95 to Linux, but need a stable GUI Word
<BR>Processor for the users who will be migrated. The choices of which
I'm
<BR>aware at the moment are Applixware 4.4.1, StarOffice 5.0, and
<BR>WordPerfect 8. The most important thing to me is stability and
<BR>reliability of the word processing component when dealing with documents
<BR>of around 100K-200K of text, and very few pictures, if any. A good
<BR>import/export of ASCII text would be nice, also. The program needs
<BR>run at a decent speed on the hardware mentioned above, but need not
be
<BR>phenomenally efficient. Sorry if this is a common question; and if
there
<BR>is a FAQ our there on this topic, I'd appreciate being directed to
it.
<BR>Thanks.

<P>- Jesse Pavel</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; I have downloaded Staroffice 5 and Wordperfect 8 on a similar machine
(Pentium 166/32 MB ram).&nbsp; Staroffice is definitely too slow (you need
more RAM).&nbsp; Wordperfect runs well and stable (up to now no crashes)

<P>Ruben Decrop
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

------------------------------

From: Claude Hager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Famous Finn] Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:20:55 -0500

You can create an empty file by:

touch myfile.txt

-or-

cp /dev/null myfile.txt

------------------------------

From: Ramesh Natarajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundblaster under Debian 2.0
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:36:28 GMT

Hi,

I just installed Debian 2.0 and compiled kernal (2.0.34) with Sound as
module. I seem to get something working, but not all. I configured my
/etc/isapnp.conf, did a isapnptools /etc/isapnp.conf followed by
$insmod sound trace_init=1. On dmesg, I see
   Sound initialization started
   <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
   <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
   Sound initialization complete

when I do cat /dev/sndstat, I see
Card config:
   Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,5
   (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
   OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Iam able to play CD using workman. When I cat some .au to /dev/audio,
(or when I try saytime) I get no sound. I get no error either. When I do
rvplayer welcome.rm, I get some error like "Codec not
installed/Compression not supported".

>From what I see in HOWTO, looks like I have MPU stuff not enabled. Is
this a problem? I donot have MPU 401 support enabled in make config
(going by help text)

I used to have RedHat 5.1 with sound working like sweat (using
sndconfig). Is there a similar tool under debian? (just wanted to be a
GNU purist for a while :)

Thats my main Qn. I have few more :)

1) I can do startx only as root. Not as any other user. I get some error
like "xlib: conncecion refused by server". If I run xdm, I can log on as
any user though.

2) When I try make xconfig for kernal config, I cannot select any of the
y/m/n options. I can input all text fields (like irq, IO) though.

Thanks for your help,
Ramesh Natarajan.        (http://nram.virtualAve.net)
--
In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
Linux Now at http://www.kernel.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 12 Jan 1999 01:06:43 -0600

In article <77e7hg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <77e4jb$js0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>

>>>ah, this is remarkable!  you freely admit that quality of the OS
>>>itself is *not* the driver behind choice of OS, it's what is available
>>>for that OS.  thus you admit the possibility of market failure!
>>>microsoft windows can be poor yet still a dominant OS.
>>

>>Of course - people buy computers to run applications.
>

>SOME?? some??
>

>what do you mean some??
>
>why the heck would anyone buy an OS for anything else???????
>
>this is like saying some people buy cars to drive them !!!!
>
>man, these Linux geeks have to get out more and learn about the real world
>to find what people use computers for!
>
>Les, you are a big doodle twit.

Take your medication - you are imagining something I didn't say.

  Les Mikesell

From: "Steve Sanyal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problems running XFree86 after installing Redhat Linux 5.2
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:08:03 GMT

Hi all,

I just installed Redhat Linux 5.2 on my PC which is configured as follows:

Primary Master: Windows NT and DOS
Primary Slave: Linux
Secondary Master: CD-ROM

I have 128 MB of RAM, and made my swap file 127 MB.

I made a swap partition and a root partition on my primary slave, and I
installed all of Linux there.  The command shell appears to be okay.  I can
boot and log into the system.  However, my problems surface as soon as I run
my Xfree86 program.  The program is unusable for me thus far for two
reasons:

1) the mouse pointer moves in a very choppy manner - it only moves once
every several seconds, and is impossible to control.
2) the display appears to be only in 16 or 256 colours ( I can't tell
which), but the contents of the desktop do not fit the screen.  I need to
scroll (which is difficult to do given that the mouse does not work
properly).

I set my options to what I believe were correct using Xconfigurator and the
mouseconfig programs.  I have a Logitech 3-button serial mouse, which I
purchased several years ago when I had a 386.  I have tried using the
following mouse settings:

- Logitech Mouse (3 button, serial, old c7 type)
- Generic 3 button mouse (serial)
- Microsoft compatible mouse (serial)

None of these seem to make any difference.

As for the display - I have an ATI Mach 64 PCI PC2TV Rage II, which is
detected.  However, when the card is probed, the amount of memory is not
detected properly - I get an error.  I've set it to 4 megs as that is the
amount of memory I have on my card.

My monitor is an Acerview 76e, which is not listed in this program.  I have
chosen the custom setting, which says you should be able to set your own
refresh rates, but I only get a range of rates, which does not exactly match
that of my monitor.  However, I chose rates that fell within my monitor's
ranges.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can get this properly configured?

Regards

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Tate.Jackson"@sjpc.org ("Tate Jackson")
Subject: Red Hat 5.2 is great, But............
Date: 11 Jan 99 14:51:13 GMT

From: "Tate Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:51:13 -0500

Red Hat 5.2 is great.  I am a first time Linux user/installer.  It took
about 20 minutes to get setup and running.

2 things caused me problems:

1.  It is not clear how to set up the display resolution.  After you run
Xconfiguator,  be sure to run the setup program for the video display when
given the option. Other wise you end up with a video resolution of 300x100
when you run XFree86.  It look like Windows 3.1 on a Commodore 128.

2.  Read the entire manual before you start the installation.  It only takes
about an hour.  Had I done this,  I would have realized that logging out and
shutting down the computer are 2 separate things.  Logout and then shutdown.
This isn't clear unless you read the entire manual.  The 2 commands are
about 100 pages apart

Tate

--
What is the Difference Between Mechanical and Civil
                                Engineers ?

Mechanical Engineers Build Weapons.
Civil Engineers Build Targets.

 __

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Subject: Re: Logging in terminals automatically
Date: 11 Jan 99 15:06:34 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Date: 11 Jan 1999 15:06:34 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ross Vandegrift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Let's say that I want tty9 to login automatically and run "top s".  I
>could make a "top" account that had "top s" as it's login.  That's cool,
>but can I have init log it into tty9 every time I started up?

Learn about /etc/inittab and run the command to /dev/tty9 from
there. You probably want to think about an appropiate uid and possibly
write a minimal wrapper that sets the right user id and stuff like
that. (See inittab in section 7 of man).

Duncan (-:
 __

From: "Perus"@sjpc.org ("Perus")
Subject: Re: Apache 1.3.3 - multiple cgi-bin/ dir's without ScriptAlias?
Date: 11 Jan 99 14:07:20 GMT

From: "Perus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:07:20 +0200

Yes, there is an easy way.
Open your access.conf on your apache/etc dir.
Use <Directory> tags to do it, like:

<Directory "/home/*/html/cgi-bin">
Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
AllowOverride Limit Options FileInfo Authconfig
</Directory>

The ExecCGI is what you need, and the "*" in the directory path.

I actually haven't tried this myself but I think it could work. Try it :)

Jussi Saarivirta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Thanks for bothering with me on this one...I think it's rather simple
>but none of my attempts have worked.
>
>I am running Apache 1.3.3 on RedHat Linux 5.1 (Manhattan) with kernel
>2.0.35.  I have successfully setup several user directories, and I
>want each to have its own /cgi-bin/.  Do I put a dir called "cgi-bin"
>in the UserDir (for me it's /home/user/html) and put a ScriptAlias in
>srm.conf.  My question is this: can I setup a "directory mask" such as
>/home/*/html/cgi-bin/ somewhere in the conf files for all user
>cgi-bin/ directories?  I plan on having MANY users on this system and
>I do not want to overload my srm file with that many ScriptAlias
>lines.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
>Chris

 __

From: "Jeff.Volckaert"@sjpc.org ("Jeff Volckaert")
Subject: Re: Redhat Installation
Date: 11 Jan 99 15:37:08 GMT

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:37:08 -0500

The smallest redhat install is 85m I believe.  So yes, 200mg will work fine.
I have a 300mg HD (284 after 16m swap) with X windows, Gimp and Sane that I
use for scanning.  I have 60m free with which to use for graphic files.

Jeff Volckaert

Walter Strong wrote in message <77c40g$9hp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Scallica ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Hey,
>
>: Is it possible to install Redhat 5.2 on a 200meg hard drive? All I
basically
>: need is telnet, ftp, apache, samba (maybe X). I tried setting up the
partitions
>: but I keep running out of space during package installation. Any ideas?
Thanx.

>You can get the above out of Slackware on a 200meg drive, but as for
>Redhat, I don't know.  So why did I post anyway?  I don't know.

 __

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Mohr)
Subject: Re: ScanPort SQ-1030 scanner and Linux?
Date: 11 Jan 99 13:41:02 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Mohr)
Date: 11 Jan 1999 13:41:02 GMT

Van Snyder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I was given a ScanPort SQ-1030 scanner (parallel port).  It comes with
> WinDoze software.  Their tech support line is always busy, so I can't
> get through to ask if they have Linux support.  I looked at
> http://www.vividata.com/scanshop.html, places linked from the SANE
> page (http://www.mostang.com/sane/) and DejaNews, and didn't find
> anything.

> Do you know of any software to support ScanPort scanners, in particular
> ScanPort SQ-1030?
You might want to try the Windows emulator Wine, www.winehq.com.
But be warned that it might not work, as the scanner might use VxDs.
Problems --> comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

--
Andreas Mohr
 __

From: "Paul.Davies"@sjpc.org ("Paul Davies")
Subject: Cutting and Pasting in X windows
Date: 11 Jan 99 23:32:48 GMT

From: "Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:32:48 -0800

Hi

I'm using Redhat 5.2

How does one cut and paste text from one X window to another?

Thanks

Paul

 __

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Zanella)
Subject: QuickCam etc... : Linux compatibility and software availability
Date: 11 Jan 99 14:40:25 GMT

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:10:25 -0330

Hello,

I am wondering whether there exist Linux compatible hardware

devices that allow you to record video to a hard drive and/or

two people to see each other (and perhaps talk) over a network

including digital (eg. cable modem or twisted pair) and/or

analogue based (eg. modems) (very slow) networks.

In particular does Logitech's QuickCam Home(TM) hardware work

with Linux. What other manufacturers make this kind of stuff?

If so, what software (free or commercial) will I need to use?

Thanks in advance,

Neil Zanella
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 __

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Re: Newbie Needs Linux Help [was: nasty comment about Linus]
Date: 11 Jan 99 14:00:46 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 11 Jan 1999 14:00:46 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Chris Wolfe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: One major advantage to writing in correct english is that people will:
: A) not complain about it
: B) not flame you for it
: C) not laugh at you for it
: D) respect your opinion
: E) pick option 2 way, way above

: And so far, I have noticed that none of A through E have happened to you
: in the responses to your messages.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I think !A, !C and !D have come into effect so far.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |
 __

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ishwar rattan)
Subject: RedHat-5.2 and Sys-V IPC..
Date: 11 Jan 99 14:14:27 GMT

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:14:27 EST
From: ishwar rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Disclaimer: Author bears full responsibility for this post

From: "Keith.Peterson"@sjpc.org ("Keith Peterson")
Date: 11 Jan 99 16:32:48 GMT

From: "Keith Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:32:48 -0700

Good Lord, man. I'm not American, and even I know more about the
mistreatment of native Americans than you do.

>>The American Indian...case closed.
>
>Bullshit!  You need to read up on your American history.
>The poor mistreated savage was responsible for a number
>of attrocities upon women and children. These were wars
>where the Indian had a chance to fight back.

You go on to mention historical revisionists shortly. A pretty well
established fact is that the people who win a war are likely to paint the
losers with a brush similar to the one you use in the above paragraph.
Apparently you don't really understand that the phrase is targeting "you".

>This crap about the poor mistreated red man is bunch of
>bogus drivel promulgated by the usual history revisionists.

Ah... and you have better sources to draw on?

>Did we take their land? Yep sure did. Was it genocide?
>Nope sure wasn't. The indian was just as treacherous as
>the white man, maybe even more so. The only difference
>was that they were way out numbered and they really had no
>war fighting experience of the type needed to win the type
>of war the White man waged. IF these 2 factors were reversed
>I guarantee you we would all be living in teepees today.

It was them or you, was it? No, it wasn't. The argument "if the situation
were reversed..." does not hold water.

The actions carried out by the "white man" (your words) against the native
Americans were attrocious. It was not America's finest hour. Just accept it
and move on.

 __

From: "Rick.Glunt"@sjpc.org ("Rick Glunt")
Subject: setuid for ppd
Date: 11 Jan 99 16:12:53 GMT

From: "Rick Glunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:12:53 -0500

I have my Linux box setup with a ppp-on and ppp-off script to
connect/disconnect to my ISP.  Scripts were created under root but when I
try to run them using another user (for security purposes) I get and error
'must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is not setuid-root'.  What do
I need to do to give access to another user?

 __