Linux-Misc Digest #578, Volume #26               Mon, 18 Dec 00 08:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: SB-live & Kernel 2.2.18
  Off Topic (David)
  Using qmail to deliver local generated system messages (Janus Loo)
  Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...) (glitch)
  HELP: any CGI script for users to change forwarded email addresses ?? (Kit-pui Wong)
  Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...) (David)
  Serial port ("mu6sys")
  Re: Serial port (Kae Verens)
  Re: Question about KDE2 (ozetechnology)
  Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www browsing? ("Peter
T. Breuer")
  Re: sharing file system between win98 and Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: RH6.1/586 binaries won't load on RH7/686? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: /home settings in fstab ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: sharing file system between win98 and Linux (Robert Heller)
  Re: ssh, nfs, samba; none of them is working ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: MODULES ("O.Petzold")
  Re: Embedded SQL databases for Linux (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: anyone got recommendations for laptops? (Darryl L. Pierce)
  Re: archive (Darryl L. Pierce)
  Re: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ? (Richard Storey)
  Re: Serial port ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: MODULES ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: shell script question (Sebastian Hans)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB-live & Kernel 2.2.18
Date: 18 Dec 2000 12:10:33 +0900

    Frits> My soundblaster-live was very well supported by my
    Frits> self-compiled Kernel 2.2.17.  Now using the new Kernel
    Frits> 2.2.18 there's not much live in my Soundblaster.  What
    Frits> should I do to make it work under 2.2.18 ?

i guess the first thing to check is whether you actually enabled.  if
not, compile away.  if you set it up as a module, is it getting
inserted properly?

gm

--
I had pancake makeup for brunch!

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Off Topic
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:42:09 GMT

 Sung to the tune of "The ballad of Jed Clampett"
 From the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES

 Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Gore
 A snippy Democrat, who was really quite a bore
 On election day of his Presidential bout
 He thought he lost the fight but got a recount
 ballots that is... punch cards... butterflies

 Well the next thing you know they're countin' 'em again
 He lost a second time so he gave it all some spin
 They said Palm Beach is the place you oughta be
 So they hired legal experts from Tallahassee
 Florida that is... sunshine state... deadlocked

 Well the next thing you know they wanna change the rules
 And play around with votes cause they think we're friggin fools
 They riled a lotta folks and they made a lotta fuss
 Till Cheney came along and started kickin' him some butts
 Buttocks that is... liberal hineys... left-wing tuchas

 Al Gore whined that the system wasn't fair
 After findin' ballot holes that were never really there
 Kathrine Harris said the recount was a joke
 But it didn't stop the liberals from castin' some more votes
 Democrat votes that is... hangin' chad... dimpled ballots

 Well the State Supreme Court gave ol' Al another break
 They let him count again cause the party was at stake
 But just when he thought his dream was born anew
 The overseas votes came in and gave it all to W
 George W that is... Texas Governor... President-elect

 Now it's time to say good-bye to Gore and all his kin
 He tried to steal some votes but it didn't help him win
 You're all invited over to his home in Tennessee
 To sit around and blubber at his pity-party
 Nashville that is... pout a while... have some sour grapes

 Ya'll have fun now... Ya Hear?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Janus Loo)
Subject: Using qmail to deliver local generated system messages
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:43:43 GMT

Hi,

I am using SuSE 7 with kernel 2.2.16. I have an internal network
connecting two Win pc's using samba. I use qmail as my e-mail
server/gateway, fetchmail to get mails from my isp, courier imap and
pop3 server for e-mail clients. What I would like to do is also to be
able to read the system e-mails, which were generated every night by
the backup software, security checks etc, using qmail. Guess I would
like the following to happen when a system e-mail is generated:

- an e-mail is generated in, let's say: the backup software
- this must be sent to the smtp port of qmail-smtp (or something
else?)
- then get written to my (root) maildir
- using imap/pop3 to get my mails

What my linux machine is doing now is sending e-mails to the mbox file
and warn me of new mails via standard output. Do u think I can do
that? Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 01:25:38 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...)

Georg Schneider wrote:

> Dennis Tuchler schrieb:
>
> > After installing SuSE 7.0, and logging on, one gets right into KDE.
> > There seems to be no way to get out of KDE except by logging out from
> > Linux.  How does one boot up and not get into KDE (or, how does one get
> > out of KDE and not log off)?
> >
> > thanks
> > djtuchler
>
> I dont know if SuSe got the programm "switchdesk" but it is a posibilty
> If you're using kdm just choose

He doesn't want to switch window managers. He wants to get access to the
console at boottime and also when exiting KDE.

To original poster:

There is a logout icon in KDE. Its the X on the 'task bar' at the bottom
of the screen. click on that and it should logout u out of KDE and back
to a console.

As for getting to a console at boottime you have to edit your
/etc/inittab file and change the Default runlevel. I believe runlevel 2
is the one you want.  The line you want to edit is similar to this:
id:2:initdefault:

Save the file and reboot. it will take u to a command line login.

As a note to the logging out of KDE, this should bring you back to a
console however i guess there is a chance since you didn't log in to the
console in the first place that it might just log u out of the system
entirely and shutdown. I haven't ever done it that way so I could be
wrong. If logging out of KDE does indeed turn teh system off then in
order for that not to happen just follow the advice I give for allowing
the system to start with a command line login.  Once u log in that way
and type 'startx' to get into KDE , and eventually log out of KDE, it
will just bring you back to the command line.

HTH

------------------------------

From: Kit-pui Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: HELP: any CGI script for users to change forwarded email addresses ??
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:09:14 GMT

Dear Experts,

Just a simple question:

Is there any secure (and free) CGI script that
lets user change his/her to-be-forwarded email
address over a web interface ?
(either thru' ~/.forward or /etc/aliases)

Our platforms : Redhat 7.0 and Solaris 7

Any hint would be much appreciated !

Many thanks in advance !
kit
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:31:28 GMT

glitch wrote:

> Georg Schneider wrote:
> >
> > Dennis Tuchler schrieb:
> >
> > > After installing SuSE 7.0, and logging on, one gets right into KDE.
> > > There seems to be no way to get out of KDE except by logging out from
> > > Linux.  How does one boot up and not get into KDE (or, how does one get
> > > out of KDE and not log off)?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > djtuchler
> >
> > I dont know if SuSe got the programm "switchdesk" but it is a posibilty
> > If you're using kdm just choose
>
> He doesn't want to switch window managers. He wants to get access to the
> console at boottime and also when exiting KDE.
>
> To original poster:
>
> There is a logout icon in KDE. Its the X on the 'task bar' at the bottom
> of the screen. click on that and it should logout u out of KDE and back
> to a console.
>
> As for getting to a console at boottime you have to edit your
> /etc/inittab file and change the Default runlevel. I believe runlevel 2
> is the one you want.  The line you want to edit is similar to this:
> id:2:initdefault:
>
> Save the file and reboot. it will take u to a command line login.
>
> As a note to the logging out of KDE, this should bring you back to a
> console however i guess there is a chance since you didn't log in to the
> console in the first place that it might just log u out of the system
> entirely and shutdown. I haven't ever done it that way so I could be
> wrong. If logging out of KDE does indeed turn teh system off then in
> order for that not to happen just follow the advice I give for allowing
> the system to start with a command line login.  Once u log in that way
> and type 'startx' to get into KDE , and eventually log out of KDE, it
> will just bring you back to the command line.
>
> HTH

You can also as "root" or "su" do a "init X" where X is the runlevel you
want to go to.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.899% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "mu6sys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial port
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:24:51 +0200

I need some program that  can read data from serial port.
I wrote a C program  as described at  Serial Programming Guide for POSIX
Operating Systems but it doesn't work.
Can anybody help me?
        Alex

------------------------------

From: Kae Verens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial port
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:05:02 +0000

mu6sys wrote:

> I need some program that  can read data from serial port.
> I wrote a C program  as described at  Serial Programming Guide for POSIX
> Operating Systems but it doesn't work.
> Can anybody help me?
>         Alex

In the howtos that come with all major linux distrobutions, there's a
document about hooking up a computer-controlled coffee-machine. I
believe that uses the serial port. You could examine the example program
there.

Kae

------------------------------

From: ozetechnology <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Question about KDE2
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:03:02 GMT

Also just installed KDE2.01, which BTW is excellent, if does have a
windoze like memory footprint.

Anyway.

I take it you are trying to install from the rpm's and its complaining
about crypt and ssl libs? There are two things that you can do with this.

1. Install the open_ssl rpm's
2. Build it from source, which was my fix.

After these it will still complain but when forced seems ok.

As for the larger icons, I get this also on both my RH6.2 systems, one
from rpms the other built from source (now that was fun, not!). I
checked the actual image files used for xmms and up2date and both are
just larger image files, they are in /usr/share/pixmaps and the menu
default enteries are in /etc/X11/applnk

I have had all sorts of problem when I try and change the icons on some
menu items or add new ones with the menu editor, the icon change seems
to get ignored. Bug?? Has anyone else seen this? Now I have resorted to
hand hacking the files.

--
site: http://www.ozetechnology.com
+++ New Images in the gallery +++

> I just bought Red Hat 7.0 and would like to upgrade to KDE 2.0.1.  I
> downloaded all the files from their ftp server for it...  Just have a
> few questions:
>
> 1.  It complains about dependencies..  how do i fix?
>
> 2.  I force the install, and some of the menu icons are bigger than the
> others.  How do i fix it?
>
> 3.  KDE is the default desktop on my system.  How do i fix the login
> screen because it looks messed up?  (some of the graphics arent there)
>
> Dave

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.netscape,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www browsing?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:19:05 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Dan Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his
> offline www browsing?  [Don't tell me to use somethng that I can't see Chinese

What is the attraction in this? I don't get it. If you go to a mound of
pages that you  don't read, you have to spend the time to download them
anyway! So what's the advantage in not reading them?

If you are trying to save the (minuscule) time it takes to read a page
of info, just set netscape to read once per session. Or are you saying
that even then netscape checks the net first? It shouldn't. If it does,
report it as a bug.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sharing file system between win98 and Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:07:18 +0100

matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have win98 and Linux installed on my machinge on one physical drive.
> win98 is installed on a fat32 partition.  I need to find a way to get files

Try "cp".

Hint: you can access a fat32 partition perfectly normally from linux.
No special effort is required.

Try the info on www.linuxnewbie.org.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:52:51 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In <91il8n$280v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Emmanuel Beranger"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>While gs is installed, and I can print ASCII
>>Am I missing something ?
> How can anyone know? You have given close to zero information here. --
> What OS, how you set up printing, etc.

A naive person would suspect that he doesn't know how, or his printer
doesn't know how [to print PS].

;-)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1/586 binaries won't load on RH7/686?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:15:59 +0100

rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Among the MANY RH7 broken things currently bugging me, tops is the
> inability to execute any binary that previously existed on my RH6.1/586

I couldn't either (or on present debian/slackware/blah .. boxes). At
least, it only works (sometimes) for very trivial test programs.

> box. The behavior is thus, regardless of shell, or binary that I'm
> trying to run:

Try static compilations.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /home settings in fstab
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:10:34 +0100

Evan Panagiotopoulos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> While trying to set user quota I damaged the fstab file. The numbers in the
> end of the line what do they mean?

Forget about them (I use them, but you won't).

If truly curious, "man fstab".

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 05:40:11 true

  "matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:20:27 -0500, wrote :

"> I have win98 and Linux installed on my machinge on one physical drive.
"> win98 is installed on a fat32 partition.  I need to find a way to get files
"> from my win98 partition to my linux partition.  I've successfully moved
"> small files from win98 to linux using a floppy formatted FAT, but I need to
"> move and copy larger files.  What can I do to make part of my win98
"> partition visible to my linux installation.  Thanks so much for any help.

mount   -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win98C

Or you can add a line like

/dev/hda1 /win98C vfat umask=0 0 0

to your /etc/fstab file

(be sure to make the /mnt/win98C or /win98C directories)

Assumes you have an IDE disk and your MS-Windows 98 system C: drive is
the first partition on your first IDE disk.

">
">
">

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ssh, nfs, samba; none of them is working
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:11:31 +0100

In comp.os.linux.networking m.nine.six <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i have ssh, nfs and samba on my debian potato system. everything was fine
> working till a few weeks. then i couldn't login to my box with ssh. also nfs
> and samba doesn't work. those are the following messages that i get:

> ssh:

broken sshd at the other end.

> nfs:
> mount: host:/folder/ failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

broken rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, /etc/hosts or /etc/exports at the other
end. (possibly also /etc/hosts.deny problem)

> samba:
> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Broken pipe.
> session request to SERVER failed (code 0)

Broken snbd at the other end.

> read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Broken pipe.
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (code 0)

> what could be the problem?? thanks in advance for any hints.

Oh, anything at all could be the problem. Looks like maybe your inetd
isn't set up, neither are nfs or sshd. Have you been hacked or did you
do this to yourself? If so, undo it! Debug one, just one, of these
services.

From: "O.Petzold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: MODULES
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:22:23 +0100

> Linux kernel can load modules on demand (where modules, if I understand
> correctly, are *.o files)
> Can I do the same with my C/C++ programs (load parts of it on demand)
> How?

One way could be to use modprobe from user space and exec() it.

Regards Olaf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: Embedded SQL databases for Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:38:22 GMT

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:28:24 GMT, jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am looking for a database to use for project that I am working on.  I
>am trying to find an embedded database that supports SQL.  I have looked
>into Berkeley DB but there is no SQL support.  What else is available?
>So far, I have found very little.  Thanks.

If your application is in Java there's always Informix Cloudscape.
Speaks SQL and is written in Java.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darryl L. Pierce)
Subject: Re: anyone got recommendations for laptops?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:27:13 -0500

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:13:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hi
>
>i'm currently thinkning of getting a laptop which i intend to install
>linux on (make is either going to be a sony viao or a panasonic laptop
>since i've heard some good reviews, albiet not 'linux' based reviews)
>and am wondering if anyone out there has any strong
>recommendations/dont-touch-with-12foot-pole.

I'm running RedHat 7.0 on my Gateway Solo 9300 without incident. All systems are
working just fine.

--
/**
 *  @author Darryl L. Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darryl L. Pierce)
Subject: Re: archive
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:40:27 -0500

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:36:26 GMT, Edith Gincel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello
>Can someone tell me where (if there is any) are the archive of this
>newsgroup ?
>Thank you
>(I would prefer not to ask the same thing that was already answered many
>times)

Go to <http://www.deja.com> and go into their discussion search area. This
area allows you to scan _all_ public newsgroups.

--
/**

From: Richard Storey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ?
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:47:54 GMT

Don Hinds wrote:

> I've installed MAndrake 7.2 but so far cannot get it to work with my AMD
> K6 3D processor (shares video RAM with the system).
>
> If Mandrake doesn't have an anwers, can I install Corel over Mandrake or
> do I
> have to remove Mandrake first?  (assuming Corel supports my CPU).
>
>  thanks
>        Don

You should totally remove the old distro first.

Sharing RAM with an onboard video system is not a problem as it is handled
by your BIOS and Linux will pick that up when it boots up.

I've used Corel before (I use Mandrake 7.2 now & I have a shared RAM/video
situation too) and it does a great job of getting everything configured
automatically.  Corel has done some great work putting together their
distro.  However, as has been mentioned, Corel is getting out of Linux and
Mandrake 7.2 is, actually, a better distro than Corel.  Your problems can
probably be solved under Mandrake.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:26:06 +0100

Kae Verens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> mu6sys wrote:
>>
>> I wrote a C program  as described at  Serial Programming Guide for POSIX
>> Operating Systems but it doesn't work.

> In the howtos that come with all major linux distrobutions, there's a
> document about hooking up a computer-controlled coffee-machine. I
> believe that uses the serial port. You could examine the example program
> there.

The canonical reference is the Serial-Programming-HOWTO (surprise,
surprise). Its programs work fine.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.lang.c++
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:27:12 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc O.Petzold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Linux kernel can load modules on demand (where modules, if I understand
>> correctly, are *.o files)
>> Can I do the same with my C/C++ programs (load parts of it on demand)
>> How?

> One way could be to use modprobe from user space and exec() it.

Except it wouldn't. That would load a kernel module. He wants to know
about the dl library. dlopen() and friends.

From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shell script question
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:00:50 +0100

Manitee wrote:

> Thomas Thyberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Manitee  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> What is the advantage of the 'exec' part?
>
> > No forking -> saving one process -> tiny decrease in execution time.
>
> Is there any downside to using 'exec'?

No command will be executed after 'exec', because it doesn't fork.

HAND
seb

--
sebastian hans - [EMAIL PROTECTED]      `\O/'  don't panic