From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stepper Motor control
Date: 17 Jan 1999 17:26:28 -0800

Max Wheatley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi Guys
>
> Seen some stepper motor control stuff under DOS using the parallel port.
> Works fine BUT we want to do it under Linux.
>
> Now I guess we will not be able to talk to the parallel port directly
> under Linux.........
>
> Anyone got any experience or can point me in the right direction ????

Here's a starting point: http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/embedded.html

There's some companies there that sell SBCs that run Linux for that
purpose.

Here's some other places to find help if you decide to roll your own:

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/device-drivers.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/programming.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/kernel.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/hardware-misc.html#parallel

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: boot disk
Date: 18 Jan 1999 01:26:36 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:15:34 +0000,
Main account <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hda1   *        1        1      215   866848+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>
>/dev/hda2          521      521      619   399168    5  Extended
>/dev/hda3          216      216      232    68544   82  Linux swap
>/dev/hda4          233      233      520  1161216   83  Linux native
>/dev/hda5          521      521      619   399136+   7  OS/2 HPFS
>
>the above is output from running fdisk ( /dev/hda5 is NTFS ).  when
>setting up
>a boot disk i ran a dd if=vmlinuz-2.0.31 of=/dev/fd0, but it didn't work
>- the kernel
>panicked because it couldn't mount the root filesystem. I re-read the
>HOWTO and
>ran rdev vmlinuz-2.0.31 and it said /dev/sda5, so i reset it with rdev
>to /dev/hda4, redid
>the diskette and it worked fine. However i am confused - i did reset the
>pointer back to
>/dev/sda5 before rebooting the machine because i had a vision of being
>locked out.
>
>Could someone take the time to explain the above - i am struggling to
>understand how
>my machine ever booted up into linux in the first place .

Because LILO knows where it is.  The rdev is only used if booting from a
bare kernel without LILO.  The rdev in the kernel is where it was
compiled, which if a distribution kernel was not on your system.

If you compile your own kernel, it will have the proper rdev, and to make
a boot floopy you could simply 'cp vmlinux-2.0.31 /dev/fd0' to a
formatted, but unmounted floppy.

--
David Efflandt    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/

------------------------------

From: Chuck Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP logging frames! Why?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 01:33:03 GMT

Hello all,

I just upgraded to Netscape 4.5 and now it seems all tcp/ip frames are
being logged to my var/log/messages file!  It seems as if PPPD is running
with the debug option but I'm not invoking it with that option.

The var/log/messages file is getting huge and a lot of disk thrashing
is happening.

I'm running kernel 2.0.33 in Suse 5.2 distro.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck Carlson
Berkeley, CA

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internet phone <and or video>(or compatible software) for linux?
Date: 17 Jan 1999 17:34:09 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi, i was wondering if there is a program out there for linux that is like
> internet phone or any of the conference programs out there for windows?  That
> is  i have some friends who have the hardware and run windows but i need some
> software that would be compatable with any of the major inet vid
> conferenceing (or internet phone) apps for windows.  any suggestions would be
> greatly appricated!

Not much available. There's a couple of related links here:

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/communication.html       (I-phones)
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/video.html               (Teleconferencing)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL
Date: 18 Jan 1999 02:09:14 GMT

On 17 Jan 1999 23:17:37 GMT, Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I understand that CTRL-ALT-DEL key combo reboots a Linux machine. Is this a
>good feature, and if not, can it be turned off (How?)
>
>How else can you reset a workstation?

You can turn it off by editing /etc/inittab.  You can also change
permissions on the file /sbin/shutdown so that "ordinary" non-root
users can't reset.  Man inittab for info on that file.

As you doubtless deduced from the above, /sbin/shutdown can reset a
worstation.  You can also use "init 6" or "telinit 6".
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Getting an ICQ Client Under Linux
Date: 18 Jan 1999 01:54:27 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:49:32 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm attempting (and sort of succeeding) to get an ICQ client working under
>RedHat 5.1
(snip)
>-Jordan Reed
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If all else fails with your other attempts, have you tried Java ICQ from
mirabilis themselves?  Worked for me in RedHat 5.0 and 5.2.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape time zone setting?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:22:27 GMT

That did the trick (link to /usr/share/zoneinfo in /usr/lib).

Thanks.

Point well taken on the open source, but the better outcome is that someone
would change this to look in a more platform independant place if possible.

Thanks again, I am sure my mail recipients will thank you for countless "why
is your clock wrong?" inquiries, now come to an end.

/Mike

From: Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:45:04 -0500

Chris Wolfe wrote:

> I have never managed to blue-screen my NT4. On the other hand, the
> explorer restarts every time I browse a Windows 95 share, and Doctor
> Watson gets to generate an error log every third time I close my IDE or
> Netscape, or cancel anything...
>
> FUD? I doubt it.

Have you looked at Technet for a possible solution for your problems?
Have you looked anywhere?  One the first two problems, I'm sure they can
be fixed.  Most of my developers use Netscape.  If Dr Watson generated
errors that often with it, I'd hear about it, a lot.  As for the Win95
share issue, that's another one I'd get pinged on since many of my Win95
users like to create shortcuts to shares on their laptops and
workstations so they can copy docs back and forth.  Let's face it, if
these problems were occuring under linux (Netscape would crash Afterstep
1.0 on my box rather often, StarOffice's install locked up the keyboard
and X every time I tried it), you'd be looking for patches or bugfixes.
However, since it occurs under NT, it's OBVIOUSLY NT's fault.

I get really annoyed at this attitude that Windows is crap while Linux
is golden.  I have too many stable windows boxes to believe that.  I've
had problems with linux that I never had under windows.  Does that mean
the OS is at fault? No, it means I've missed something, somewhere.
Windows has it's faults, and stability is one of them.  However, it all
rests on the ability of the person maintaining the system.  Even Win95
can be stable.  I have a Win95 laptop (P90 16megs of ram) running as a
network virus scanner.  It hasn't been rebooted in two months.

You can make any os stable if you're willing to do your homework.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Alvaro A. Novo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Real Player Error 38
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:46:39 -0600

Hi,

I am getting the following error message when I run Real Player 5.0.1 or
5.0.3, if I am not root:
               ^^^^^^^^

" File compression not supported. Cannot locate the requested RealAudio
decoder.

For more information, please see Error 38 at:
        http://www.realaudio.com/help/errors "

I tried the solutions suggested by Real Player Help/FAQ, but none worked.
I have a feeling that this has to do with permissions. All the rvplayer
libraries have chmod 755 with owner root and group root.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a zillion,

Alvaro

        --      --      --      --      --      --      --      --
                              Alvaro A. Novo
                         2116 S. Orchard St., #304
                             Urbana, IL 61801

               http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~novo/Alvaro.htm
                               217-337-4893
        --      --      --      --      --      --      --      --

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey Greer)
Subject: Can't find good program to do batch processing with images
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 02:47:33 GMT

Could someone tell me a good program to do batch processing with
some images?  I've looked around, but I don't know what would be
easy to figure out quick.

 I have a bunch of compressed .tif files.  Here is what I need to
 do.
- rotate 90deg CCW
- convert to grayscale
- convert height to 864 keeping the same scale
- save as .jpg at 50% quality

If it also works in Solaris that would be nice too, but is not
required.  I am running RH 5.2.

Jeff Greer, graduating senior, computer science
www.umr.edu/~jgreer
University of MO - Rolla
========================
FAA license A-27264 (license to jump out an airplane at >= 1000ft AGL)

// "If travelling by plane is 'flying' then travelling by boat is swimming. \\
\\  If you want to experience the environment, get out of the vehicle."     //

------------------------------

From: Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:52:12 -0500

brian moore wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:20:23 -0500,
>  Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > brian moore wrote:
> > >
> > (snip)
> > >
> > > Probably the vast majority of the time they are idle.  The 100 or so
> > > Windows machines we have at work crash so often that it's taken as
> > > normal by their users who don't believe my uptimes.  (And don't
> > > understand me when I whine about a silly Solaris bug that would crash
> > > the system after 270 days: they couldn't conceive of a 9-month uptime,
> > > while for me the fact that it couldn't exceed that without a patch was a
> > > serious bug.)
> > >

> > Shame on you for spreading FUD like that.  I work as an NT sysadmin in a
>
> It's not FUD, it's a statement of my experience.  Machines range from
> P-75's through PII-300's, with 64M-128M of RAM.  Last count there were
> 90 some machines on that network.  (They have their own netblock so
> don't pester me about IP space unless they need to be let through the
> firewall.)
>
> Each machine crashes at least once a day -- most are not heavily used.
>
> > large development environment.  Everyone uses NT workstations or Win95
> > laptops.  For the first 1.5 years of the project, I was the main person
> > providing site support (in addition to maintaining my 8 NT servers).  I
> > get maybe 2 bluescreens a month out of 200 workstations and 8 servers.
> > These machines aren't used lightly, so idle time is not an issue.  Many
> > have been up for a month or more.  The least reliable server has been up
> > for 50 days or so.  My most reliable servers (a tie between 6) have been
> > up continuously for over 6 months (would be longer, but we had to cut
> > power to the data center for construction).  My personal workstation was
> > up for over 30 days before I shut it down to replace it with an NT
> > laptop (it's never BSOD on me).
>
> The NT server pair is so flaky they make -no- changes to it, including not
> leaving a clock running or starting a screen saver.  The NT machine that
> controls the video playback stuff crashes so often that it is done
> manually since that is on-air playback for commercial time and if the
> commercials don't run, we don't get paid.  The NT server that runs the
> scheduling software has to be rebooted daily or users are mysteriously
> locked out.
>
> Perhaps your experiences are different, that does not invalidate mine.

You're right, my experiences do not invalidate yours.  But, my
experiences with NT are not unique at all.  If they were, then we
would've counseled our client on the alternatives (they use large HP-UX
servers for the main system and NT servers and workstations for
backoffice/frontdesk systems-I've been onsite in several states and have
yet to see a single NT problem).

You're a lucky guy.  If all of my machines crashed that often, I'd be
out of a job.  Hell, I caught grief because one of my servers had to be
rebooted once a month for awhile.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Joe Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux: Fight for survival or on victory march?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:48:55 -0800

Unfortunately, MS has, in the past, required OEM's to sell PC's with Windows
installed. Don't ask me why. I don't believe that is the case anymore. My
company will go either way depending on what the customer wants.

Joe

------------------------------

From: Holger Eitzenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jan 1999 04:00:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm attempting (and sort of succeeding) to get an ICQ client working under
> RedHat 5.1

> I've attempted to install kxicq, but when I try to run it I get the following
> error:
> ERROR in MSG file...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

> Any clues?

> 2)  I've also installed kicq, and it's working, but there are no icons.  Any
> clue what I need to do to make them appear?

Hi,
I sugest using licq which works pretty well for me. It has most
of the functionality the mirabilis ICQ has.  However, its still
lacks chats with more than 2 people. You need a recent QT
library (1.4 or above i remember). Its available at

    http://pages.infinit.net/fairoff/licq/index.html

  Regards.

  Holger

--
+ PGP key via mail or finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] +
++ Parsytec Computer GmbH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> +++ ICQ: 2882018 ++

------------------------------

From: "QUICK CURT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.music.hip-hop,rec.models.rc.air,rec.woodworking,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.europe,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.software.year-2000,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.prophecies.cayce,alt.astrology,sci.ast
Subject: Re: CONCLUSIVE PROOF: Jesus *is* King of the Jews  !  !   !'
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:38:28 -0800

Jesus and Elvis fly pylon!!

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:14:52 +0100

You are right JOhn,

Corell comes with the "Sitewinder" this is a small box with a
StrongARM risc CPU.
The strong arm has a very small power consumption and a 250 MHz
StrongARM out performs a Celeron 300 without strain.

The sitewinder comes with KDE, JDK and Netscape

Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.x,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:22:37 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn?= Elwhagen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

>In comp.os.linux.misc Jim Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I agree, Redhat is not Linux, frankly I am disappointed.
>
>> It sure looks like Linux to me.  The only thing that's particularly
>> different is that they have a halfway decent installer.(*)
>
>...although i personally thing rpm is pretty crappy and the frontend
>glint is grosse, at least when i tried it last time.

Glint is oversimplified and has been buggy, but rpm itself is a pretty
decent tool if used from the command line.

What faults do you see, and have you reported those in detail to the
program authors?  Without good user feedback, the tool probably won't
be improved as quickly.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:25:09 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake unto us, saying:

>I agree, Redhat is not Linux, frankly I am disappointed.

I use Slackware, SuSE, and Red Hat, and I'm afraid I don't understand
this comment.  I'm hardly a newbie (first started using Linux back with
SLS 1.01, and started "seriously" using it with Slack 3.2), but I like
Red Hat 5.1 as well as (if not more than) either Slack or SuSE.

Can you explain?  Or is this more senseless bitching from people who
are somehow equating "likes Red Hat" with "newbie"?

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
               The next message is a complete fabrication.

From: Mark L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abnormal characters appended in Netscape input field
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:43:27 +0800

I have experienced sometimes some extra abnormal characters may appended
to the text typed in the url or in the form fields.
Is there any setting we missed to do? The same version of netscape for
window never has this error. This happened in version 4.5, 4.07 and 4.05
of netscape.

Thanks in advance,