From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CDROM drive can't read writable disc after 2nd burning...
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 12:32:18 GMT

Hi,

I use a CD-Writer on a Windows 95 machine (The HP CD-Writer+ 7100).
During a write session, the CD-writer sets up its own custom filesystem
on the CD-ROM, and when I've finished writing, it changes the
filesystem back to a ISO6990 format, to allow the CDROM to be readable
on other machines.

I have two PCs on which I wish to use the CDROMs written in this
fashion.
One uses win95 and uses a COMPAQ CD-ROM drive (CRD-83228)
Another, uses win95 or Linux (Dual-boot) uses a Creative CD-ROM drive
(48BCD SB)

After the first write session, I can see the new files I have copied to
the CD-R on both the target PCs, using any OS.  However, after a 2nd
write session, the files are only visible on the PC with the COMPAQ CD-
ROM.

When I try and see them on the other machine, I get one of several
problems:

1) Both OS can't get access to the disk - this occurs most frequently:
In both Linux and Win95, the drive makes a repeated clicking noise and
fails to allow access to it ->
     On windows, the windows explorer freezes when I try to access the
CD-ROM.
     On Linux, it refuses to mount the drive, and complains about a bad
superblock (?!).

2) On win95 mainly, very rarely on Linux, the CD-ROM clicks for a
little bit, and then lets me see the files -> but only the ones I
copied during the first CD-R write session.  This is more likely to
happen if the CD-ROM is already in the PC when I boot the machine.

3) On win95 only, never on Linux, the CD-ROM clicks for a little bit,
and then allows me to see all the files.  However, if I try copying
large files from the CD-ROM, things revert pack to situation 1 -> the
drive starts clicking again, and I get a message asking me to put the
reload the CD-ROM

What's going on ?
On window's I've found the latest drivers from the CD-ROM, and I'm
going to try them and find out if it is a driver problem.
What can I do to fix this problems on Linux - CREATIVE don't seem to
have any special Linux drivers for their CD-ROM.

I would appreciate any ideas,
Thanks,
Tim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IP address stealing on Intranet
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:44:26 +0200

Hello,

This is not my own passion. My employer want it because of high cost.
You know telephone and Internet access is the most expensive in
the world in Hungary.

--
Bessenyei Zsolt
fejlesztési projekt vezető

Telefon: (52) 500 449, (52) 502 977
Telefax: (52) 500 445
E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Lodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Info from /proc
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:28:55 +0100

I need to programatically extract a selection of information from the
/proc filesystem.

Are there any useful system calls I should know about, or some useful
code snippets that
will point me in the right direction

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I am using RH6.2 with a 2.2.14 Kernel

From: Fung Wai Keung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seg. Fault after upgrading glibc-2.0.7-29.2.i386.rpm
Date: 5 Sep 2000 12:53:23 GMT

Hi all,

I encountered segmentation fault of some popular program (like elm, more)
after upgrading the newly released glibc-2.0.7-29.2.i386.rpm package from
RedHat.  I'm running RedHat 5.2.

This package even corrupted my other PC's libc6.so!  I would like to ask
whether there are guys having the same problem that I have, or it's just
because I have done something wrong during upgrading.

Thanks in advance.

Wai Keung, Fung

Department of Automation and Computer Aided Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,
Hong Kong

Tel: (852)26098056      Fax: (852)26036002
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: disabling rlogind and others
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 12:57:31 GMT

In article <8p0hnk$4l7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm trying to disable all unencrypted remote authorizations on
> my linux boxes, so I removed telnetd & ftpd from inetd.conf.
> In fact, I have nothing but comments in /etc/inetd.conf
> (I'm using sshd)
> However, rlogin doesn't seem to be disabled,

Did you restart the superdaemon after editing "/etc/inetd.conf":

  killall -HUP inetd
or
  kill -HUP inetd.PID
where "inetd.PID" is the PID for inetd shown by ps.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: installing SVGA server package
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:10:15 GMT

Hi all,

I downloaded XFree86-svga-3.3.6-20.i386.rpm from Redhat website under
win98. Then I copied the file to a floppy. After switching to
Redhat6.0, I copied the file from the floppy to a dir.

Then I typed 'rpm -i vh < filename >' and tried other options for -i ,
but it all reported an error message saying " can't install < filename
>, .....".

Well, I can only use the Internet on win98 at the moment,since I really
make the ppp configuration right, so my only choice is to download the
files under win98 and copy them onto floppy, then access the floppy in
Redhat6.0.

Does the installation failure has anything to do with the use of floppy
drive?

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: Oracle 8i install on RH6.2
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:05:43 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am tring to install Oracle8i onto a Redhat6.2 2.2.14-5.0 box. It
> requires java, and I have tried with Blackdowns 1.2.2 or with IBMs
> 1.1.6 java runtimes. Both fail when I run the ./runInstaller script
> with :
>   Error in CreateOUIProcess(): -1
>   : Bad Address

run one of the scripts in the install/linux or linux/install (can't
rememember which)

------------------------------

From: Michel Bardiaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stable Clustering File System available?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:25:52 GMT

Raymond Doetjes wrote:

> Hi there I posted this question already about 6 months ago also, back
> then I did'nt get a single reply I
> went out in th einternet forrest and finaly found a CFS called
> InterMezzo ( http://www.inter-mezzo.org ) which
> is unfortunatly very unstable (it does'nt propagate user rights and
> ownerships properly, I already wrote the development and they should fix
> that
> however there never came a update).
>
> So I'm looking for an other (hopefully free but commercial is'nt a
> problem either) CFS.
> - What it should do is mirror a certain partition or directory over a
> network to other File System cluster members.
> - When you know of a CFS that clusters over a SCSI bus then that is my
> second choice and please also let me know!
>
> Please also reply by email.
>
> Raymond

I don't know if you will find what you want there, but have a look at
http://linux-ha.org especially drbd and gfs.

Cheers.
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: CueCat
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:25:43 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Cokey de Percin would say:
>I wasn't able to download the driver before it was pulled.  I would
>greatly appreciate it if someone would send me a copy.

Here is the Perl-based decoder.  It doesn't do more than to just decode
stdin; that is the critical tool for going on to "do cool stuff" with
it.  It works...

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
sub CheckDigitISBN($); # Declaration
sub CueCatDecode($$);  # Declaration
sub BarCodeType($);    # Declaration

# CueCat Decoder & ISBN Check Digit Maker For Perl
# Version 1.0.0  GPL
# All Code Here is free to use but must give credit
# Written By Kevin Fowlks
# http://www.barcode-search.com
# Aug 29,2000

# Arg 1 is the Cuecat String and Arg 2 is the type
# e.g.Type Can be the Following 1 - (CuecatID) 2 - (Barcode Type) 3 - (Barcode)
# Returns String of Barcode Based On Type

while (<>) {
  print CueCatDecode($_, 3);
  $_ = "";
}

sub CueCatDecode($$)
{
    my $value=@_[0];
    my $s=@_[1];
    # Lets Split our CuCat String into a Array with all the differnt subsections
    my @v=split /\./,$value;
    my $t=0;
    my $flip=0; # Got to start off on our first section of code
    my ($i, $c, $bcode, $dc);
    for ($i=0;$i<length($v[$s]);$i++)
    {
        if ($flip == 0)
        {
                # Get 2 - Bytes of Data
                $c = substr($v[$s],$i,2);

                # Translate our 2-Bytes into a one ByteCode
                if ($c eq 'C3') { $bcode='0';  }
                if ($c eq 'CN') { $bcode='1';  }
                if ($c eq 'Cx') { $bcode='2';  }
                if ($c eq 'Ch') { $bcode='3';  }
                if ($c eq 'D3') { $bcode='4';  }
                if ($c eq 'DN') { $bcode='5';  }
                if ($c eq 'Dx') { $bcode='6';  }
                if ($c eq 'Dh') { $bcode='7';  }
                if ($c eq 'E3') { $bcode='8';  }
                if ($c eq 'EN') { $bcode='9';  }
                $flip=1;
        }
        elsif ($flip == 1 )
        {
                $c = substr($v[$s],$i+1,1); # Get One Byte of Data
                # Translate our One byte into a OneByte Code
                if ($c eq 'n') { $bcode='0';  }
                if ($c eq 'Z') { $bcode='0';  }
                if ($c eq 'j') { $bcode='1';  }
                if ($c eq 'Y') { $bcode='1';  }
                if ($c eq 'f') { $bcode='2';  }
                if ($c eq 'X') { $bcode='2';  }
                if ($c eq 'b') { $bcode='3';  }
                if ($c eq 'W') { $bcode='3';  }
                if ($c eq 'D') { $bcode='4';  }
                if ($c eq '3') { $bcode='4';  }
                if ($c eq 'z') { $bcode='5';  }
                if ($c eq '2') { $bcode='5';  }
                if ($c eq 'v') { $bcode='6';  }
                if ($c eq '1') { $bcode='6';  }
                if ($c eq 'r') { $bcode='7';  }
                if ($c eq '0') { $bcode='7';  }
                if ($c eq 'T') { $bcode='8';  }
                if ($c eq '7') { $bcode='8';  }
                if ($c eq 'P') { $bcode='9';  }
                if ($c eq '6') { $bcode='9';  }
                $t++; # Count How Many Times it's been in this loop
                if ($t == 2) { $flip=0; $i++; $t=0;}
         }
        $dc = $dc . $bcode; # Builds BarCode from bcode
        $c="";              # Clear Out Readdate
        $bcode="";          # Store Barcode Translation
    }
    return $dc;
}

# Creates a ISBN Check Digit from the first 9 digits of an ISBN Number
# Arg-1 takes the first 9 digits of a barcode
# Returns: Digit
# Note: If digit is equal to 10 then replace with an X this is standard
sub CheckDigitISBN($)
{
        $value = @_[0];
        for ($i = 0; $i < 9; $i++)
        {
            $sum = (10-$i);
            $sss= $sum *  substr($value,$i,1);
            $ss=$ss+$sss;
            $sum = (11-($ss %  11));
        }
        return $sum;
}

sub BarCodeType($)
{
  if (@_[0] eq "cGf2") {$btype="ISBN";}
  else { $btype="UNKNOWN";}
  return  $btype;
}
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil J Pilgrim)
Subject: Re: how to mount a drive during start-up?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:00:24 +0100 (BST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.questions Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> /dev/hda1       /mnt/win         vfat     umask=000 0   0

>> Change "/mnt/win" to the mount point you normally use for the FAT
>> partition.  The "umask=000" will let all users read and write all the
>> files on that partition.  If you leave that out, the FAT partition will
>> have all files owned by root, and only root will be able to write to
>> those files.  HTH,

> You may want to consider using uid=500,gid=500 where 500 is your
> normal user id to limit access to just one user instead.

Or make a new group, make yourself a member of that group and set the
gid to that group - makes it easier to allow other people to access
the drive :) (with appropriate umask of course...)

--
Neil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:21:13 GMT

In article <8p2qjm$ehf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8p0hnk$4l7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to disable all unencrypted remote authorizations on
> > my linux boxes, so I removed telnetd & ftpd from inetd.conf.
> > In fact, I have nothing but comments in /etc/inetd.conf
> > (I'm using sshd)
> > However, rlogin doesn't seem to be disabled,
>
> Did you restart the superdaemon after editing "/etc/inetd.conf":
>
>   killall -HUP inetd
> or
>   kill -HUP inetd.PID
> where "inetd.PID" is the PID for inetd shown by ps.

Yes, I did. It killed telnetd and ftpd services (they were in
inetd.conf), but not rlogind.

Thanks

WRoot

From: Marcos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: setting up a ras????
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:07:48 GMT

hi,

    i have a cyclades multiport card (8ports) connected to a local
server. 4 ISDN modems and 4 BASIC modems are connected. i use mgetty and

works fine.

    but know i have a problem. i want to add a ISDN-128 modem to the
server. (not in the cyclades card) i guess i can put it in com2 (o
not??) can i?? how can i do it?? any more suggestions?? so i would like
also to know about the mgetty configuration. nowadays my inittab is
like:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

s0:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 /dev/ttyC0
s1:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 /dev/ttyC1
s2:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 /dev/ttyC2
s3:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 /dev/ttyC3
s4:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 -s 115200 -m '"" AT&FS0=1'
/dev/ttyC4
s5:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 -s 115200 -m '"" AT&FS0=1'
/dev/ttyC6
s6:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 -s 115200 -m '"" AT&FS0=1'
/dev/ttyC5
s7:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -x2 -s 115200 -m '"" AT&FS0=1'
/dev/ttyC7

in /etc/ppp i have these files:

pap-secrets -> contains the customers username
options.ttyC1
options.ttyC7 -> something like this:

-chap
+pap
login
debug
proxyarp
nodeflate
nopcomp
novj
novjccomp
server-public-ip:public-ip assigned to that port (for example for ttyC7
-> 195.33.45.57, for ttyC6 -> x.x.x.56 ...... )

so.. i think that adding a modem to com2 that should work... but i would

like to hear more solutions.
the server is connected to a public lan.

but... what about adding a 128-ISDN modem to this computer??

i will be pleased to heard as many suggestions as you will have.

thanks in advance,

marcos

--
m a r c o s @ i v a l . e s

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Achim Linder)
Subject: Re: Graphical LILO?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:39:47 +0200

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 12:17:31 GMT, Dheera Venkatraman wrote:

>Is there any (free) graphical alternative to the 'LILO Boot:' thing?
>Nothing that I really need... but graphical would be nice :)
>
>I am running RedHat 6.2.

The new lilo version offers a boot menu. Not really 'graphical', but
much prettier than 21.4.4 or older.

"Changes from version 21.4.4 to 21.5 (17-Jul-2000) John Coffman

Boot Loader
===========
- Completely new menu-driven user interface.  Preserves backward
  compatibility with command line interface on console or serial
  terminal.  Menu title may be specified in 'lilo.conf'. Menu
  color scheme may be customized on VGA, but is fixed on MDA."

ftp://sd.dynhost.com/pub/linux/lilo/

Achim

------------------------------

From: D'Arque Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:49:49 GMT

Hey kipz,

kipz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let people surf the web as much as they like. Who are they harming?
> I urge everybody in this group to with-hold any help to this person if
> it will be used to restrict peoples access to the web.
> K.

Unfortunately, it's rarely ever that simple.  The assumption here is that
this guy is the one who wants to restrict web access to the employees.  Far
more likely, it's management that wants to do that.  It's the same where I
work... only certain employees are permitted web access.  If I were to go
behind my boss's back and give everyone full Internet access, I would
quickly find myself either reprimanded or fired for insubordination.

Personally, I wish I could help the guy, but I'm not familiar enough with
Squid to be able to help him.  But please, don't go off on him simply
because he makes a request for help that follows the rules of his particular
employer that you don't entirely agree with.

Just my $.02...

        "Do you see the smile in my words, sad and evil?  Sad because
        I am utterly alone.  Evil because I am dead and yet I live.
        Can you hear me?  Listen.  A dead man visits you."
                                       --James O'Barr, The Crow

                 D'Arque Bishop -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

        "For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the
        darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him."
                                   -- from Noctropolis: Night Vision

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:39:02 GMT

In article <8p2rvu$g0t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <8p2qjm$ehf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <8p0hnk$4l7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to disable all unencrypted remote authorizations on
> > > my linux boxes, so I removed telnetd & ftpd from inetd.conf.
> > > In fact, I have nothing but comments in /etc/inetd.conf
> > > (I'm using sshd)
> > > However, rlogin doesn't seem to be disabled,
> >
> > Did you restart the superdaemon after editing "/etc/inetd.conf":
> >
> >   killall -HUP inetd
> > or
> >   kill -HUP inetd.PID
> > where "inetd.PID" is the PID for inetd shown by ps.
>
> Yes, I did. It killed telnetd and ftpd services (they were in
> inetd.conf), but not rlogind.

You might take a look at this:
  http://www.linuxnewbie.org/articles/secureinstall.html
it might be started by one of the rc-files.

Have you considered renaming it and then see who complains :-)

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Ken Yasuda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Identifying actual kernel in use?
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:49:27 -0500

Very silly question here:

I'm wondering how to determine the directory location of the
currently-booted kernel.  I have several kernel versions compiled, and
can't do a `make xconfig' in the default `usr/src/linux' directory. How do
I check on the booted kernel's location?

Currently, I'm using SuSE 6.3.

Pretty embarrassed to ask,

Ken