Linux-Misc Digest #686, Volume #18               Tue, 19 Jan 99 00:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: CPU/mobo temperature monitors? ("wĠĠg")
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Eric Tremblay)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Gary)
  Re: Linux not seeing all memory (please help) (Darren Greer)
  Re: FTP Server (iNoDE)
  Re: My partition choice (DaZZa)
  Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?
("Steven J. Hathaway")
  Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled (brian moore)
  Re: Problem setting up OPL3SAX sound card (agent_)
  KDE Desktop with Redhat Apollo ("cd")
  Re: Can this modem be driven with Linux? (Sam Vere)
  (solved) lilo stalls at LI ! ("Oo.et.oO")
  TkDesk: Selections in file list box invisible (Nick Dreyer)
  Re: Lost with RPM and installing new applications RH Linux 5.2 (Jerry Lynn Kreps)
  installing win95 on slave disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: StarDiv's StarOffice Freezes on Setup ("Jeffrey Denton")
  dwww won't handle same-page tag references ? (Nick Dreyer)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ("Mosl Roland")
  Sharing gtk/glib 1.0 & 1.1 (Mark J. Tilford)
  plotfile to printqueue via ftp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Are there any good shareware/GNU animation Packages? ("Michael")
  Re: lp not configured -- parallel printer problems (David Todd)

From: "wĠĠg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CPU/mobo temperature monitors?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:19:42 -0600

No, but I use a Gigabyte brand mainboard because of it's hardware monitoring
capabilities.  Model # 586TX2-512, to be specific.  The overheat alarm is
run at a hardware level, so it doesn't matter which OS I happen to be using.
It is very nice.  Because of the way my home's gas heat is routed, sometimes
my office gets hotter than the rest of the house, and when it gets too hot,
my 'puter sounds like a MAC truck in reverse, hehe.  Of course, Windoze
users get an enhanced software-level monitor also.... :-(

------------------------------

From: Eric Tremblay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:16:07 +0000

> > Because it was the only OS small enough to run on those early PCs.  Maybe
> > calling it an OS at that point was being a little generous, but it got the
> > ball rolling.  As much as I dislike Gates, I think we all have him to thank
> > for making Linux possible.

If it wasn't for him, we'd have even better.

oh... and in the first place DOS was designed to _sell_ not to work. IBM
got too impatient and decided to 1. go with the shit 8088 processors
that that Intel were selling them for a 'better deal' and 2. go with
Billy boy's "QDOS" excuse for an operating system that was stolen from
Seattle Computer Products anyway. Then came the whole thing about IBM
renaming it to "DOS" for obvious commercial reasons, and MS making its
own (illegal) version called MS-DOS and brainwashing people into
thinking that both were synonymous, etc, etc...

  - Eric.

  - Eric.

------------------------------

From: Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:49:24 -0500

In my very humble opinion, as a newbie, Ive tried REDHAT and had
difficulty, I recently installed SUSE 5.3, with KDE Desktop and YAST to
configure the system, Ive had some problems but have had much better
success with SUSE. Its also very popular in Europe. Plan on spending
alot of time in Newsgroups and webpages, no matter which distribution
you choose..good luck.
--
Gary Pagliaro RN
ICQ#1405727

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:15:58 -0600
From: Darren Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux not seeing all memory (please help)

Do a search at dejanews for: linux, lilo, memory, recognize, append, mem=

And I am sure you will find _a ton_ of information that will help you,

DrGreer

From: iNoDE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP Server
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:36:52 -0600

Jeff Grossman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I must have done something today that killed my FTP server.  I cannot
> connect to it anymore.  I have restarted the Linux box, but it still
> does not work.  Does anybody have any ideas for me?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
> ---
> Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Oh.. stupid bitch in hell ... you just pissed me off by
cross-posting... Now I forgot what your stupid question was...

------------------------------

From: DaZZa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:48:42 +1100

On 18 Jan 1999, Michael Meissner wrote:

> > So, if you're having 256 Mb of RAM, then 512 Mb of swap is OK - however,
> > as others have stated, you'll need to do it over several partitions - 127
> > Mb is the largest swap partition size Linux will allow.
>
> Actually this is old information.  I believe the latest 2.2.0-prex kernels and
> latest e2fs tools will now allow you to create swap partitions > 128 megabytes.

They're not exactly the stable ones a good percentage of Linux users run,
are they though?

Sure - I shoulda said "for pre 2.2.x kernels, 128 MB is the largest swap
file permitted".

There, I said it now. :-)

DaZZa

------------------------------

From: "Steven J. Hathaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:43:59 -0800

Even if you find, write, or acquire unix-like tools for Windows --
they are only useful in command mode (MS-DOS command emulation),
batch files, or as arguments to the Start->Run command, or
custom definitions for user-defined shortcut links.

Another significant downfall for Windows (Graphical Interface) is
the lack of support for "pipe" operations.  I have seen some unix
X-client
programs that allow you to configure a chain of program execution by
linking visual icons representing sequences of program execution,
allowing the standard output of one program to be treated as input to
the next program. In Microsoft Windows, I have not seen this capability.

Also the MS-DOSes emulated with Windows fall severly short of the
general capabilies of most unix shell programs.  The various shell
programs on unix can be selectively launched by command files if
the "#!/program-path" context is entered as the first line of the
executable file.

A significant amount of work is required to configure a Windows
computer -- and as a student, you are often sharing computers, and
not necessarily able to consistently use the one you customized.

- Sincerely,
- Steven J. Hathaway

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: get your money back for Windows preinstalled
Date: 19 Jan 1999 03:28:39 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:52:27 -0800,
 Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One thing intrigues me ... If you read the link, Toshiba refused
> to issue a refund according to terms of the EULA.  It's seems to
> me (although of course IANAL), that refusing to follow the
> terms of the agreement (on Toshiba's part) would be breach of
> contract (between the buyer and Toshiba). Since I'm sure
> the EULA includes lots of things like forbidding reverse
> engineering and copying, if they breach the agreement, are
> you then free to do all of those nasty things?

Yes and no.

Consider the case of Microsoft providing no license agreement.  You
would have no right to make a copy (at all, not even for backup
purposes).  You could, though, reverse engineer it all you wanted.
(Since that is not normally forbidden by copyright law, though that
seems to be changing thanks to idiots in Congress.)

A 'License' lists what you may do that is normally forbidden without a
license.  (True for a drivers license as well as a software license:
think of the meaning of 'permission' for license.)

> The actual contract is between the buyer and Toshiba, not
> between the buyer and Microsoft, but it seems that Toshiba
> is Microsoft's agent. If Microsoft's agent breaches the
> contract, it seems like the buyer would be free to do
> whatever he pleases with the software. I'm not planning
> on testing this theory any time soon, but it's a pleasant
> thought.

Even if you could legally make a zillion copies of Windows, there is
still the question of "WHY?"

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:21:00 +0000
From: agent_ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problem setting up OPL3SAX sound card

I used to have my opl3sax working under redhat 4.1.  It was a pain in
the ass
to configure at first, but after a few hours of dejanews searching I
found a post
where the author said the card included the CS4232 chipset
(undocumented).
Don't know if it's true, but I got it working with these settings:

cat /dev/sndstat (from old rh 4.1 install):

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Mon Oct 19 14:11:19 EDT 1998 root,
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.27 #4 Sun Oct 18 20:19:45 EDT 1998 i586)
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.27 #4 Sun Oct 18 20:19:45 EDT
1998 i586
Config options: a82004

Installed drivers:
Type 21: CS4232
Type 22: CS4232 MIDI
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM

Card config:
(CS4232 MIDI at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0)
CS4232 at 0x534 irq 5 drq 0,1
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: CS4232 (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 0.0  Midi interface #1

Timers:
0: System clock
1: CS4232 (CS4231)

Mixers:
0: CS4232 (CS4231)

_______

I can't seem to recreate it with sndconfig  :(
I can get /dev/audio working but /dev/sequencer is always busy
:(  :(   :(
no midi for me.

(note:  to configure the card under rh 4.1 (kernel 2.0.27) I had to
change
CS4232 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 0,1  to  CS4232 at 0x534 irq 5 drq 0,1)

This info probably doesn't help you much, but at least you know that
someone in someplace got some version of the card to work under some
version
of the kernel.

------------------------------

From: "cd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE Desktop with Redhat Apollo
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:39:18 -0600

Has anybody had any experience with KDE and RedHat Apollo ( Linux RH 5.2) ?

I've got a few KDE apps here but they seem to be KDE dependent ..... hmmm,
so why'd they package them with Apollo ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Vere)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Can this modem be driven with Linux?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:09:23 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:02:25 +0000, Richard Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>David Jones <djones> wrote:
>: Linux virgin here again! :-)
>
>: I forgot to ask: will a US Robotics 56K Professional Message Modem work
>: with Red Hat Linux?
>
>Yes. I got one working with Linux only a week
>ago, and it works fine. Less trouble under
>Linux than under Windows in fact. (Win 95,
>for you information, refused to believe there
>was a modem there and eventually got so confused
>that it deleted one of its own DLLs[1] and has since
>refused to work :-), but then I seem to have
>this effect on Windows, which is why I'm a
>Linux consultant and not an MCSE :-)

Hmmm. I'm using a Premier XL 56KE External. (£70)

Just plugged it in, did the /dev/modem -> /dev/cua? link and it worked
right away.

How easy do you want? <grin>

<-------------------REMOVE SPAMTO TO DIRECT REPLY------------------->
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | THERE IS NO TERIYAKI, ONLY ZUUL!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          | - Akane's cooking,

------------------------------

From: "Oo.et.oO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: (solved) lilo stalls at LI !
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:28:05 +0000

thank you to everyone that offered help.  I changed the drive to LBA
mode and it works now.  I guess the kernel was just over the cylinder
boundary in my / partition.
so I guess it was a combination of the linear option and changing to LBA
mode that fixed it.
But I didn't have to reinstall.  or even shuffle stuff around. thanks
again-
                        eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer)
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: TkDesk: Selections in file list box invisible
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:04:46 GMT

I am running with only 4bpp, so I realize that my color selection is rather
limited, but I am hoping there is a way to make selections in file list boxes
some color _other_ than white on a white background.

I have been able to change the background color to something like blue, which
at least confirmed that the slections were being registered as white, but
haven't been able to get selection color other than the pretty useless white
on white background.

Can anyone give me the secret configuration variable to use for this?  It
doesn't appear in any documentation I have, at least not very obviously so.

Thanks in advance for your help . . .            |\|.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lost with RPM and installing new applications RH Linux 5.2
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:27:52 -0600

>How the heck do you install new applications into RH 5.2 i386
  >I've got alot of great apps ( I think ) in  *.rpm  format , they're
stored
  >on the local hard drive
  >But how do I install them.  I must have overlooked some important
steps ....

First, you'll want to login as root in order to install or uninstall any
packages.
>From root, at the TCL you can use rpm.  Do a "man rpm" to get some basic
instructions.
Or, "startx" to get the X windows client running.  Click on the desktop
and select "Open a shell".  On the TCL in the shell type "glint" or
"xrpm".  This will start the X-windows version of rmp.  Glint normally
is set to look at the CDROM's RMP subdirectory for rpm files to load.
Use the "configure" button to change to another directory on the HD,
then use the "Available" button to see the list of uninstalled rpm
files.
BTW, there is an excellent book "Maximum RPM" which explains all of the
in's and out's of the RPM program.
As one newbie to another, enjoy!  Linux has been a blast for me!  I've
been running since May 9th without a single crash of Linux.  (RH 5.0,
5.2 and SuSE 5.3, may current and favorite distro)
Jerry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.windows95,alt.windows95,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: installing win95 on slave disk
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 02:48:48 GMT

Hello,
I have linux installed on my machine, and want to put in my second hard disk
and install windoze95 on it so that I can play my games.  Now, I know that
Windoze demands that it be installed on the first partition on the first
disk, but I was wondering if there is a way around this.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Morgan Terry

From: "Jeffrey Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarDiv's StarOffice Freezes on Setup
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:10:58 -1000

redhat 5.1 is missing a library that is needed to run star office.  goto
http://www.best.com/~aturner//RedHat-FAQ/faq_index.html  i can't remember
the name of the libray but the answer is here.

jeff, just another newbie

>   I'm trying to install Star Office under RedHat 5.1 without any
success.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Dreyer)
Subject: dwww won't handle same-page tag references ?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:44:05 GMT

Anybody know why dwww doesn't know what

<A HREF="#somewhere_on_this_page>somewhere_on_this_page</A>

means?  At least my installation does not.  Rather annoying, when much
documentation is full of cross references to different places on the same
page.  Am I missing some configuration option here, or is this a basic defect?

|\|.

------------------------------

From: "Mosl Roland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:18:50 +0100

Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>Bill Leeper wrote:
>I use linux not because Windows didn't do something for me, but because
>I wanted to learn a different system.  When I get bored with Linux, I'll
>try BeOS or maybe, *shudder*, a mac.

You are a happy one.
Just be bored and change OS.

I reserved christmas holidays for my first atempt to change
to Linux. Not because it's fun, only because I have to much
trouble with Windows (just lost 5 hours at reconstructing
my emails, and finally had to go to backup from 12 Jan)

First atempt failed. To much problems to install Debian 2.0
on a 24 MB notebook. SUSE 6 worked, but to slow.
Heared about that it would be possible...

Maybe in summer I have an other chance to affort the time.

Mosl Roland
http://pege.org/ clear targets for a confused civilization

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark J. Tilford)
Subject: Sharing gtk/glib 1.0 & 1.1
Date: 19 Jan 1999 04:17:31 GMT

I have some programs that use gtk 1.0 and some that use 1.1.  What's the
best way to install both sets of libraries, so I can compile & run
programs that use either?

=======================
Mark   Jeffrey  Tilford

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: plotfile to printqueue via ftp
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:44:20 GMT

Hi all,

I have a Question, I could not find an answer searching the
web for days.
Can I configure Linux to receive plotfile/printfiles into it's
Print queue via ftp ?
At the Moment we have HPGL and Tiff G4 Files in our Intranet.
If someone want's to have a Plot a Perl-Script sends it to
an extended systems printserver via ftp. This works actually
fine.
But the Printserver does not have a queue so there are sometimes
timeouts and print-corruption when the Network is loaded.
Is there a way I can solve the problem as a linux rookie ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Clemens

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 19 Jan 1999 02:36:18 GMT

[Before we start...I almost  suspect  that  you,  bob_bill_bob,  are  now
 speaking in "broken" english in an effort to make "Chris"  mad.  If  you
 aren't, then, please, stop and consider this message for a bit.]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] allegedly wrote:
>In article <7807bn$fqg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris says...
>>

>>If English is your native language (and it is mine) please set a good
>>example and use it properly in these groups.
>
>i aint gona properly use or no use my english cause it see nothing
>wrong in it !!

If you speak like that, and cannot understand what's wrong with  it,  you
may need to take some english courses.

(Notice, I  said  english  courses,  not  literature  courses...I  agree,
 Shakespeare could cure even the worst cases of insomnia (1))

>for you info, all the guys in shop think i speak the best english of
>them,

That's interesting.

>and the boss alaways tells me my job estimates looks good and never
>once bothered me with any english sentenses i wrote on it.

That's nice.

>so puzz off and leave us alone. if you dont like it here, go find
>another newsgroup to nag people about.

If you had been here first, that suggestion might make sense.

>what a jerk.

If you see it that way...though I  really  think  he  was  trying  to  be
helpful; at least, I am. Good communication skills are invaluable  tools,
especially  on-line.  You don't need to go out and learn to speak like  a
character from a Shakespeare play, but it does help if you can  at  least
speak  clearly  enough  to  be understood.(2)

Just think about what  it  would  be  like  trying  to  communicate  with
someone who speaks english as a second language. Would they  be  able  to
understand what you are trying to tell them? I say this because  this  is
such a place.

1) Macbeth excepted. That was a pretty nifty play.
   (I even wrote a video-boardgame about it; with the help of  a  friend.
    Sadly <G>, cheesey only /begins/ to  describe  it.  We  still  aren't
    quite sure it wasn't intentional.)

2) If you spoke like a character from a Shakespeare play today, you would
   confuse quite a few people.

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Are there any good shareware/GNU animation Packages?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:33:39 -0000

I want to learn about animation but I can't afford Alias Wavefront!

Does anyone know if there is a shareware or better yet freeware package
that might compete with Alias?  Features if not speed.

I realize that I am asking allot but in the Linux world you never know!

Thanks,
Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Todd)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: lp not configured -- parallel printer problems
Date: 19 Jan 1999 04:45:14 GMT

In article <7803e1$ai2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Dear Colleagues,

>        The problem is characterized in the most simple way
>as failure of the printer system to print in Linux.  A check with
>                lpc status
>shows that the printer daemon is running but that it is waiting for
>the printer to come offline.  If you check with
>                grep lp /var/log/messages
>you find the message that "lp not configured".  If you check
>/proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports, you find no entry for lp.

Dear Colleagues,

        What a great community!

        This is a followup to my message earlier today.  In that note
I summarized my attempts to resolve my "lp not configured" situation
in which my RH 5.1 Linux system would not print *most of the time*.
So far, this seems to be a problem with Compaqs, and since it seems
related to BIOS it might be limited to Compaqs, but I'll do this
general posting so others can avoid the frustration.

        Shortly after I sent my note I got a response from
Tom Aschenbrener in Dallas that identified the source of the problem
and solution.  I've appended his message for those who can't try
my alternative solution.

        I foolishly assumed that the PC/printer interface would be most
likely to work correctly if the printer were on during reboots.  So I was
carful to have the printer turned on when I rebooted my PC.  Tom
found that just the opposite is true and the printer should be turned
*off*.

        As Tom suggested, I found that the problem is with the BIOS
setting for the parallel port mode (on Compaqs, at least).  Tom's
solution works if you need EPP, ECP, or bidirectional mode.  If you
can use "compatible" mode, the printer system works whether the
printer is on or off during reboot.

        I got a number of responses to my note.  Thanks to you all.
I hope that summarizing back helps repay the community just a bit.