Linux-Misc Digest #686, Volume #24                Fri, 2 Jun 00 12:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Can I delete "core"? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: View Linux shared space from Win95 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GNU Emacs as Default Editor in Helix GNOME 1.2 (D. D. Brierton)
  modem not responding ("Matt Crabb")
  Re: Winmodems )Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux) (Donal K.
Fellows)
  mandrake C Compiler (Icon-x)
  Re: Grahics Software for Linux ("Jake")
  Re: Need Netscape killer... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New Linux user needs a better browser ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: View Linux shared space from Win95 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: making a new partition with Fips (Leonard Evens)
  cof2elf ("Chris West")
  Re: New Linux user needs a better browser (Leonard Evens)
  Re: GNU Emacs as Default Editor in Helix GNOME 1.2 (Kai
=?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
  Stupid but annoying problem ("Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]")
  Re: Can I delete "core"? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: 128-bit encryption (Leonard Evens)
  Re: mandrake C Compiler (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: DSL under linux: No Joy :-< (Duane)
  Re: Stupid but annoying problem (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can I delete "core"?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:24:14 GMT

In article <8h8dgh$nbg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That file contains what is called a "core dump".I am sure you have
seen in
> Windows messages like "This program has performed an illegal operation
and
> will be terminated ".
> Well, something similar happened in some program you are running, and
the OS
> captured all the memory in use at the time and saved it to this "core"
file
> after halting the program. It would be useful to someone who knows how
> use a "core" file to determine the cause. Otherwise , you can safely
remove
> it.
>
> I noticed someting funny about GNOME on RH 6.0 : The first time I
start it
> up ( after a fresh install ) it generates a core dump. Thereafter,
things
> are just fine....

It's been my experience that GNOME (on RH6 anyway) tends to repeated
dump core files into the user's home directory.  I ended up creating a
directory called 'core' in my home directory, which took care of the
problem.  Of course, the orginal problem (GNOME's instability) still
remains...

To be fair, more recent versions of GNOME are more stable.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: View Linux shared space from Win95
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:34:07 GMT

In article <8h7r3k$p0k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Kenny Leong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank for reply.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention is my IDE2 is under Linux Native file
system.
> The purpose I want to know is, because my user want to add another
hard
> disk(10GB) onto the Linux box. The user will make noise when they can
only
> see 2GB instead of 10GB.

This is a Win95 problem; Linux can't do anything about it.  Win98 (and
possibly some Win95 B versions) may not experience this problem because
of their FAT32 support, but earlier Win95 versions will simply stop
counting free space at 2 GB.  They can still use the whole 10 GB on the
network share to store things, but if you ask Windows how much space is
left and it's more than 2 GB, it will just say 2GB.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. D. Brierton)
Crossposted-To: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs as Default Editor in Helix GNOME 1.2
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:52:37 GMT

On 02 Jun 2000 10:31:17 -0400, Bruce Ingalls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does it help to change your default editor from
>       emacs
>       emacs $*
> or
>       emacs $1

Unfortunately I'm not in front of GNOME at the moment. However, the editor is
selected from (a fairly comprehensive) drop-down list box, and so it doesn't
appear to be the kind of thing one types values of one's own choice into.

Given that this is set up as one of the options in GNOME I'd guessed that your
above suggestions would have been taken care of. I'm curious to know if anyone
else has this problem, in which case it may be a bug, or whether its just me.

Best,

Darren

D. D. Brierton, Centre for Cognitive Science, University of Edinburgh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb

From: "Matt Crabb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem not responding
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:34:29 GMT

Hi All,
I am running mandrake 7 and have set up sendmail etc. So far so good. Very
pleased with Linux, one problem though, I dial my ISP via Kppp and it
connects fine first time, but when I disconnect and try to reconnect later I
get an error message telling me my modem is not responding. The only way I
have found to bring it back to life is to actually reboot the computer. A
little inconvenient to say the least.
Anyone know of this problem and a solution?
Thanks in advance
Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Winmodems )Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux)
Date: 2 Jun 2000 14:59:14 GMT

In article <3934f551.1073003@news>, Jan Knutar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My 33.6 modem often passes 128Kb/s when sucking usenet posts.

Your USENET newsgroup set must be more compressible than mine; I
rarely get more than 90Kb/s through a faster connection (and yes, it
is going full tilt...)

(Perhaps I read groups with more new signal in them and less repeated
noise.  :^)

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: Icon-x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mandrake C Compiler
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:51:51 GMT

  I just Installed Mandrake 7 a few weeks ago as the sole operating
system on a
  333 Pentium using the recommended install and whenever i try to load
any package.tar.gz after using tar xzvf to expand it I cd'd into it, did
./configure and got these messages:

{
  checking for a BSD compatible... /usr/bin/install -c
  checking whether make sets ${make}... no
  checking for working aclocal... missing
  checking for working autoconf... missing
  checking for working automake... missing
  checking for working autoheader... missing
  checking for working makeinfo... missing
  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
  configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
  cannot create executables.
                                                           }

I reinstalled all the Gcc`s from the Cd again using 'RPM -Uvh --nodeps
gcc*.rpm'
and I did a 'locate gcc' afterwards and got:

/usr/bin/gcc

#gcc --version
2.95.2
#gcc --help
(I got the whole listing of help)

What is wrong? What am I missing?

 --==Optik0d==--

From: "Jake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Grahics Software for Linux
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:01:29 GMT

Here is it  URL:http://www.xara.com

The have two programs Xara 3D, and Xara Webstyle.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need Netscape killer...
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:02:12 GMT

> I haven't really written a script for that because you only have to kill
> off one or two pocesses to get rid of it.

What about a script that runs in the background, watching if Netscape begins
misbehaving, then summarily executing it the minute NS acts up?

--
Don't e-mail your response
Post it right here, but if you must, I'm also at

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems
Date: 2 Jun 2000 10:57:21 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ryan Sackenheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 writes:
>> Mostly people reported no problems, and some of them had the
>> K7V motherboard.  I'm interested because I'm seriously thinking about
>> getting one of these.  Toms Hardware rated them the best of the Slot A
>> Athlon Via KX133 chipset boards.  From what you describe, I would look
>> closely at my kernel configuration, maybe try to build a new kernel, even
>> if I have to do it on old hardware, look closely at the general setup
>> section and block devices section.
>
>I finally figured out the problem.  Apparently I had a bad memory module.
>I put in a different one, and it worked perfectly.  So if you do get this
>board, make sure to get good quality Athlon tested memory, or Linux might
>flake out on it.  Not-so odd is that Win98 chugged along like nothing was
>happening.

    Yup, I have an old P133 and whatever memory I try to add to it Linux locks
up and usually takes the filesystem with it, just a little at a time, I can't
get lpr to work w/o running lpc and constantly starting/stopping/restarting
the deamon this time... so I'm stuck w/ 32mb.
    But about the Athalon, that's what I think I want to get, I followed up on
the previous link to a slashdot article and found that if you check out
www.linhardware.com they have a long section on motherboards and are the ones
in the slashdot article that are trying to figure out what it takes to get
Athalons (or more precicely their motherboards to work). They like ASUS and
EPOX motherboards, don't like ABIT well anyway as I check more they have quite
a few motherboards listed some w/ ratings. Also checkout
http://www.tdl.com/~netex/mb/mb.html, they sell hardware (I guess only systems
for now because of demand) but they take Linux into account and love the ASUS
mb.  Some of the othe "linux" computer vendors seem to also use the ASUS
motherboards.

                                                            -John

ps. the linhardware.com article lists 50! mbs for Athalons. now about that
video card to go with it... :)

pps. My apartment gets up to 90F or more in the summer, Athalons run pretty
hot (I guess since they reccomend 300W PS) do you think this could be a problem?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New Linux user needs a better browser
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:13:50 GMT

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:48:03 +0800, "Jin Rid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>hi
>No flame intend. I am used to Internet Explorer 5.x under Windows and I find
>the Netscape Communicator 4.7x that comes with my SuSE6.4 not as friendly
>and can't run some of the cocoon samples well. Is there a replacement for
>Netscape browser?

There are many (most? I hope not) sites out there which are designed
to ONLY work with IE-5, or work best with IE-5.  Unless the owners of
those sites see reason to make their sites standards compliant, the
only thing you can do is continue to view them with that non-standard
IE-5 browser.  But you might want to try a few of the browsers that
are available, and see if one works "okay" for you.

Gord

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:52:29 -0500

Kenny Leong wrote:

> Thank for reply.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention is my IDE2 is under Linux Native file system.
> The purpose I want to know is, because my user want to add another hard
> disk(10GB) onto the Linux box. The user will make noise when they can only
> see 2GB instead of 10GB.
>
> Kenny Leong
>
> Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kenny Leong wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a small problem like this:
> > >
> > > RH5.1, setup up as file and print sharing server. Second IDE(4G) of
> Linux
> > > box mounted as /data and shared as name Public. Win95 client can see it
> and
> > > can store data onto  it. The problem is, in win95, when i right click on
> the
> > > Public and select Properties, I just can see 2G only.
> >
> > You didn't say, but I'm assuming you're using Samba (inferring from the
> > setup you described).
> >
> > Samba makes your Linux box look like an NT server with NTFS file system.
> >
> > Win95 is pretty stupid about disk space over the net. From what I've
> > seen, it has 2GB limit assumptions in many of its built in disk
> > functions. I believe this is what you are encountering.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Bratcher
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

I think most likely the problem is that some versions of Windows
95 can't deal with partitions larger than 2 GB.  Windows may
also not be able to deal with a second primary Windows partition
on the same disk; it has to be a logical partition in an
extended partition.

You should suggest strongly that your Windows users upgrade
to Windows 98.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: making a new partition with Fips
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:04:14 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi,
> i'm trying to make a new partition with fips(under dos..). fips refuses to
> make a partition because a file exist on the last cylinder. i usesd defrag
> however it did not solve the problem.
> How can i locate  this data on the cylinder and delete it?. Is there a
> program out there for inspecting information on a disk by location?

Some vendors put some unmovable files at the end of the windows
partition, and these files may be used for various purposes, some
of which may be essential.   One thing you should definitely
check is that virtual memory in Windows has been disabled.   Also,
you may be able to use the Windows Atrrib command to change the
status of the unmovable files.   But you should really know what
they are before doing so.

Perhaps the easiest thing for you to do is to get a copy of
Partition Magic.  That will resize the Windows partition without
being stymied by the problem you describe.   But rather than
installing PM in your Windows partition, just use the installation
wizard to make a PM emergency disk, boot from that and run PM from it.
We've have done that on many occasions and it works quite well.

Here is some advice that was given previously in this news group
for exactly your problem.

        "It could be lots of things: immovable files, virtual memory,
anti-virus files, etc...  My recommendation is to pick up a program
called
ShowFat 3.0 from http://www8.pair.com/dmurdoch/programs/showfat.htm This
will tell you exactly which files are taking up the last cylinder and
you can take appropriate action: disabling virtual memory or anti-virus
programs, etc...
        If the files don't appear to be anything special, use Win98's
defragger with the box called "Let Windows move files around" UNCHECKED.
If it's checked, Win98 will put files in the last cylinder (somehow this
is "optimal" -- Norton's does it too)."

From: "Chris West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cof2elf
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:26:25 +0100

Does anyone know if the COFF to ELF translator called cof2elf which I
believe is available on Solaris is also available on Linux?

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:15:07 -0500

Jin Rid wrote:

> hi
> No flame intend. I am used to Internet Explorer 5.x under Windows and I find
> the Netscape Communicator 4.7x that comes with my SuSE6.4 not as friendly
> and can't run some of the cocoon samples well. Is there a replacement for
> Netscape browser?
> Regards

You don't have much choice under Linux.   You can try using the
KDE desktop and the browser that comes with it.   Even the
Gnome desktop help browser has some reasonable capabilities.
But these don't support the full range of internet tasks that
you have come to expect.

Microsoft has tried in the past to take over open standards,
and if they succeed, the internet will be fully usable only
with Windows.  We owe it to ourselves to fight this all the
way.   Netscape is basically what we have under Linux.
But there is a large project trying to develop a true open
source browser, and this is based on the Netscape browser.
Netscape has been cooperating in this venture.

If you are used to using web sites which assume the user is
running IE under Windows and take advantages of hooks MS has
put in the browser which are tied to its OS, you are not going
to find those very usable under Linux.   My advice is to
boycott any such web sites.   Anyone who wants to play
only is the Microsoft ballpark doesn't deserve our attention.

You could also try Netscape 6.0, but that may be a trifle more
difficult for you to install then the version you are currently
using.

You might also let the Justice Department know if you find
any web sites that are tied to the Microsoft monopoly. :-)
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
Crossposted-To: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 2 Jun 2000 15:30:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. D. Brierton) writes:

> I have (server-start) in my .emacs, and my .bash_profile has
> EDITOR=emacsclient in it.

Maybe this is the problem?  Only the first Emacs instance can
successfully execute (server-start).

Can you enter `emacsclient' or `emacsclient %f' or something like
this?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

------------------------------

From: "Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Stupid but annoying problem
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 23:20:32 -0400

Hi

This is not a development problem directly but I gives me a hard
developping on my linux box.  My linux box is in a lab somewhere else in
the building and I work on it by doing telnet.  Each time I wish to
telnet the linux box, it takes about 50-70 second before I have the
login prompt.  Does anybody know what is wrong ?  If I telnet another
machine, i just work great...

        Thanks you for helping me because as I do developpement in the kernel,
I often have to reboot and to relogin.  This will help me not taking a
walk to the lab ~10 times a day !!!

--
        Jean-Philippe Robichaud
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:27:14 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That file contains what is called a "core dump".I am sure you have seen in
> Windows messages like "This program has performed an illegal operation and
> will be terminated ".
> Well, something similar happened in some program you are running, and the OS
> captured all the memory in use at the time and saved it to this "core" file
> after halting the program. It would be useful to someone who knows how to
> use a "core" file to determine the cause. Otherwise , you can safely remove
> it.
>
> I noticed someting funny about GNOME on RH 6.0 : The first time I start it
> up ( after a fresh install ) it generates a core dump. Thereafter, things
> are just fine....
>
> also run "locate -u" as root and look for core files lying around in other
> directories.
>
> man locate for info on it.
>
> -joseph
> Jackie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8h7oqr$eku$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Can I safely delete the file "core" in home directory to release disk
> space?
> > What is the use of that file anyway?
> >
> > - Jackie

The version of gnome supplied with RH6.0 is quite buggy.
You should definitely upgrade gnome.  In addition you
should upgrade gmc (the gnome file manager) which requires
simultaneously pgrading mc and mcserv.

Or you can just upgrade to RH6.2, which should solve most
of your problems.

Occasionally gnome may still core dump, but it shouldn't
happen very often.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 128-bit encryption
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 10:23:17 -0500

NTK wrote:

> for PC banking, it requires 128-bit encryption.  It doesn't look like there
> is such support for Netscape if you are using linux.  Is there any way to
> use PC banking or am I stuck with Windows if I want to do some banking.
>
> THanks

The reason for this was the stupid US export restrictions on
encryption technology.  Any open site from which one could
download netscape had the provide the so called international
version which had limited encryption.   Of course, anyone outside
the US could easily get around this limitation.  Indeed there
is a web site in Australia, which provides a program called
Fortify which takes the international version of netscape
and converts it to the US version.

If you are a US citizen or permanent resident, (or are just
willing to specify you are), you could also download the US
version from the Netscape web site, but you get a tar archive
which is not quite as easy to install as an rpm package,
but still it it not a big deal to do so.

Fortunately, the Clinton administration finally decided to
ignore the government security hawks and listen to reason.
So the latest versions of netscape, e.g., 4.73, do not have
this limitation anymore.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: mandrake C Compiler
Date: 2 Jun 2000 11:46:23 -0500

In article <8h8hm0$o15$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Icon-x wrote:
>  I just Installed Mandrake 7 a few weeks ago

>  checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>  configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>  cannot create executables.

There should be a file called "config.log", which should tell you (near the
end, presumably) more about what went wrong.

> I reinstalled all the Gcc`s from the Cd again using 'RPM -Uvh --nodeps
> gcc*.rpm'
> and I did a 'locate gcc' afterwards and got:
>
> /usr/bin/gcc
>
> #gcc --version
> 2.95.2
> #gcc --help

> What is wrong? What am I missing?

You probably need to install some other development package(s), e.g.,
libc development, kernel headers, binutils.  (You may want to report
a bug to your distributor.)

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: DSL under linux: No Joy :-<
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 07:57:29 -0700

"Cameron, Gary [WDLN2:2X82:EXCH]" wrote:

> I can't get my DSL working
> under Linux.  I have successfully set up both Ethernet and dial up
> networking under Linux before, but am a DSL newbie.  I have a 2.2.14
> kernel
> (SuSE 6.4) and am running the latest version of the roaring penguin PPOE
> client, after having no luck with the PPPOE driver suggested by SuSE.  I
> run
> the ADSL-start script as root and I see lights blinking on the box,  so
> obviously my eth1 connection appears to be working.  I have posted the
> relevant portion of my log file in case it is of any use, and somebody
> can
> clue me in.  I would REALLY like to get my DSL working under Linux!  And
> as
> usual, my ISP does not support Linux or any other non MS operating
> system,
> although they are willing to answer basic questions.  The blasted thing
> does seem to work under windows with their special connect software.

I don't know what the problem is, but perhaps take a look at a couple of
things to see if they seem to be configured right. You should have
several files in /etc/ppp/. pap-secrets should contain usernames and
passwords, including the one for your DSL connection. pppoe.conf should
contain a username matching one of those in pap-secrets. It should also
contain a reference to your ethernet card. resolv.conf should contain
your DSL nameservers. Does the command "netstat -r" show anything
interesting?

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Stupid but annoying problem
Date: 02 Jun 2000 12:08:09 EDT

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 23:20:32 -0400, Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>developping on my linux box.  My linux box is in a lab somewhere else in
>the building and I work on it by doing telnet.  Each time I wish to
>telnet the linux box, it takes about 50-70 second before I have the
>login prompt.  Does anybody know what is wrong ?  If I telnet another
>machine, i just work great...

Sounds like a DNS lookup failure to me.  On your LInux box, edit
/etc/hosts and make sure you put in a line that goes something like:
192.168.11.20 my.other.computer
replacing the IP address and the hostname with the IP address and hostname
of wherever you're telnetting from.  This will probably help a bit.

BTW, if you're doing kernel dev and having to reboot often, there's no
substitute for sitting in front of the machine.  Suppose your latest hack
corrupts the filesystem on / ?  You'll be waiting a long time for the
network to come back up when the init scripts are asking for root's
password so fscking can commence.  Also, keeping a semi-stable kernel
around with the one you're hacking on requires switching between them at
the LILO prompt--not something that's easily done over the network!

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?