Linux-Misc Digest #368, Volume #19                Mon, 8 Mar 99 14:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: Database for Linux (Edwin Johnson)
  boot problpems ("Matthew Taulke-johnson")
  Re: Text editors (Mark Edel)
  Re: boot problpems (Jean-Yves TOUMIT)
  Re: Group renaming from uppercase to lowercase (Matthew Bafford)
  Re: xosview and kernel 2.2.2 (Brent Phillips)
  Re: Running behind your back: Crontab defaults? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Proxy authorisation over LDAP server
  SHMMAX for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: isdn4k utilities and ISDN (King)
  Re: command not found not solved with ./ (fernando)
  about hylafax (Harris Wong)
  HELP:Can't load kfm on KDE (QM)
  Re: windows 95B doesn't see FAT32 partition (Fred Heitkamp)
  Re: Using lynx... How? (Walter Strong)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Chris Costello)
  Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows (Bill Gunshannon)
  ZIP Disk & SCSI HD Installation ("Bryan Knight")
  Fetchmail problems (Benjamin Smith)
  Creative Labs Awe32 (egray7)
  Re: How to run boot-time scripts without rebooting (Edward Vigmond)
  Re: Linux & VPN ("Joven (Another Linux User!)")
  Re: xosview and kernel 2.2.2 (Jean-Yves TOUMIT)
  Re: mailer daemon for me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Public license question (Bernd Gehrmann)
  Problems with parport. (Jeremy)
  Re: nntp servers (John Hasler)
  Re: best offline newsreader? (John Hasler)
  Re: More bad news for NT (John Hasler)
  Network ARP problem (Patrick Lemire)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: Database for Linux
Date: 8 Mar 1999 14:19:21 GMT

Take a look at mysql. I use it for a variety of databases in the company and
it is extremely fast.

...Edwin

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 23:09:03 -0500, Klaus Bernpaintner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am thinking of developing a small application that requires some
>databasing.  Initially this will be a small app, intended to run
>locally. Would Postgre be suitable for this, or does it consume to much
>resources? Are there any tools for using filebased databases (a la
>dBase) on Linux? Would that be more suitable?
>
>Ideas, experiences, anyone?

~   Edwin [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ~
~        http://www.prysm.net/~elj        ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

From: "Matthew Taulke-johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boot problpems
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:43:26 +1000

i kinda linux rh 5.2 working on a 6.4 hdd and it was located on a 4 gig
partition that i had going with it.  on the remaining 2 gig partiton that i
had there was win98.  as usual win98 started playing up and it slowly
progressed to a halt.  from there i reinstalled win98 and now i cannot
access my 4 gig linux partition.  i am fairly new at this but i am guessing
that win98 overwrit my master boot record, thus disabling LILO.  is there
any other way that i can get around the problem other than purchasing boot
manager programs like system commander?

matthew

------------------------------

From: Mark Edel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Text editors
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:35:29 -0600

> Greg wrote:
> >
> > I've just installed Red Hat 5.2. I am wondering if there is any
> > window-based editors.
> > I'm looking for an editor that works like textedit or jot on other UNIX
> > workstations or something like notepad in Windows95/98. Something simple
> > to create .txt, .html or .c files. Please help.
> >
> > Thank You
> > GK
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Try
>
> http://www.iti.cs.tu-bs.de/soft/nedit/hlp0.html

That's actually an old version of NEdit.  The newest, 5.0.2, adds syntax-
highlighting (the best multi-language highlighting anywhere), and a complete
macro language.  The official web page is at:

  http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html

You can download the newest version source or pre-built binary, from:

  ftp://ftp.fnal.gov/pub/nedit/v5_0_2/

-- Mark Edel

------------------------------

From: Jean-Yves TOUMIT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: boot problpems
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:40:52 +0000

Matthew Taulke-johnson wrote:

> i kinda linux rh 5.2 working on a 6.4 hdd and it was located on a 4 gig
> partition that i had going with it.  on the remaining 2 gig partiton that i
> had there was win98.  as usual win98 started playing up and it slowly
> progressed to a halt.  from there i reinstalled win98 and now i cannot
> access my 4 gig linux partition.  i am fairly new at this but i am guessing
> that win98 overwrit my master boot record, thus disabling LILO.  is there
> any other way that i can get around the problem other than purchasing boot
> manager programs like system commander?
Have you made a lilo bootdisk during the install (you should have done
so...).
If you have, then simply boot with this lilo bootdisk. When you are back
to linux
again, reinstall lilo (by typing simply "lilo" as root).
If you haven't, then it's a bit more difficult...

--
Jean-Yves TOUMIT
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Subject: Re: Group renaming from uppercase to lowercase
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:48:10 GMT

Mon, 8 Mar 1999 02:26:56 +0100 -- Øystein Gisnås <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
-> Is there a smart (or stupid) way to rename all the files in a directory, or
-> better in subdirectories, from uppercase to lowercase?

find -depth | rename 's{([^/]+)$}{\L$1}'

Where rename is Larry Wall's rename script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

$op = shift or die "Usage: rename expr [files]\n";

chomp(@ARGV = <STDIN>) unless @ARGV;

for ( @ARGV ) {
        $was = $_;
        eval $op;
        die $@ if $@;
        rename($was,$_) unless $was eq $_;
}

(chmoded to executable and in your path, of course)

HTH!

--Matthew

------------------------------

From: Brent Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xosview and kernel 2.2.2
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:41:35 -0500

Jean-Yves TOUMIT wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I just upgraded to kernel 2.2.2 (I had the 2.2.1 before) and suddenly,
> xosview doesn't work anymore. To recompile the new kernel, I just copied
> the .config from the old kernel directory to the new one.
> I have verified that the /proc filesystem is included in it, it seems
> OK.
> What happens is that xosview runs and keeps on running using 80% CPU but
> without displaying any window...
>
> Any ideas? (BTW, any other good programs that would be equivalent to
> xosview?)
>
> --
> Jean-Yves TOUMIT
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://rfv-pc28.insa-lyon.fr

Yea you have to update to the newest XOSView...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Running behind your back: Crontab defaults?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:48:06 GMT

oak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   /etc/cron.d/Daily/40cleandir
>      #!/bin/sh
>      /usr/sbin/cleandir 10d /tmp
>      /usr/sbin/cleandir 30d /var/tmp

This is removing temporary files from these areas to stop old stuff clogging
up your disk

>   /etc/cron.d/Daily/40logrotate
>      #!/bin/sh
>      exec /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.d/.conf

This is recycling your system logfile otherwise they will grow endlessly
and fill up your disk.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Proxy authorisation over LDAP server
Date: 8 Mar 1999 15:31:36 GMT

Hello,
Does anybody know of a Proxy Server available for Linux which supports
authorisation over a LDAP server and not using a password file. I'm using
the Netscape LDAP v.3.5. Thanks very much for your help.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: SHMMAX for Linux
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:16:19 GMT

hello everyone, i'm trying to get a version of Oracle8 Server to work on my
Dell PowerEdge 4300 running Redhat Linux 5.2.  I recompiled the kernel so
that SHMMAX, SHMMNI and all that memory thing required by Oracle.  Anyway, is
there a way that I can verify how much SHMMAX has allocated on the system?
thanks khai

From: King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: isdn4k utilities and ISDN
Date: 8 Mar 1999 16:31:51 GMT

How do you upgrade/patch the 2.2.2 kernel?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: command not found not solved with ./
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:50:12 +0500

go to the directory when the file is and run it using ./

Dave Kortz wrote:

> I've been trying to run a script (ns-install for Netscape 4.51) and receive an
> error: "bash:command not found"  After reading through this newsgroup I see that
> the solution should be to add the directory to my path or type ./ns-install - I
>
> I have tried both of these solutions, but without it solving the problem.  I am
> logged in as root and have confirmed that bash is my shell.   I'm using Redhat
> 5.2 and (although I doubt I need to add the obvious) rather new at using Linux.
> Thanks.

This are my personal opinions
Real email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: Harris Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: about hylafax
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 01:07:20 +0800

Hi,

I'm using hylafax server, i'm sure that the server is up and the modem
is working(at minicom), after i send a fax using 'sendfax' command
, the job is completed immediately as view from 'faxstat'. But the
modem has no response at all!

How can i solve this problem? i've been to the hp of hylafax, but i can't
find the answer there....

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

Yours,
Harris Wong

------------------------------

From: QM<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP:Can't load kfm on KDE
Date: 8 Mar 1999 15:03:35 GMT

Hi, I closed my kfm window yesterday and now I can't seem to load it up. I've
tried using both the menu icon and command line but both methods fail. Does
anyone know why this happens and how I can solve it? Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:00:58 -0500
From: Fred Heitkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: windows 95B doesn't see FAT32 partition

MINIMAN wrote:

> You are probably using FAT16 in your windows 95 B
>
> If you aren't,  try formating your partition through windows as FAT32,
> I am sure you will see it then

The "plot" is thickening.  I just noticed that the drive made with mkdosfs

is "seen" by Windows, it's just shown as the F: drive not the E: drive as
intended.  I can highlight the E: drive icon, and presumably format it.
One would assume the F: drive would then go away.  Wierd.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Using lynx... How?
Date: 8 Mar 1999 15:38:27 GMT

What kind of file are you trying to download?  To avoid problems I
usually place the cursor over what I want to download and hit "d".  This
gives me no problems with .html, .txt, or binary files.

Atsushi Nakagawa (s355806@student.(no_spam)uq.edu.au) wrote:
: Hello,

: How do I, using lynx, download a file 'raw' without any post-processing?  I
: want to get lynx to ignore the MIME/type (no sure if the right terminology)
: and just download the file 'as is' to the destination  --without any 'line
: break adding' and post-processing, and other things it might do.

: Thanks in advance.

: --
: Atsushi Nakagawa
: ([EMAIL PROTECTED](no_spam).edu.au) (remove (no_spam) when using)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:22:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Justin The Cynical wrote:
>On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 16:59:39 GMT, Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>->In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>->Jason Clifford wrote:
>
>->>There is nothing in the Windows 95 interface that was not present in the
>->>Apple Mac interface in 1991 and earlier. The GUI itself was invented and
>->>widely used on non-PC systems many years before MS released any version of
>->>Windows.
>->
>->   Not that it matters, because Windows didn't steal its UI from
>->Mac anyway.  (At least not the pre-4.0 versions of Windows.)
>
>       Hmmm....   IIRC (this was many years ago), Apple sues M$ over the
>'look and feel' of Windows 2.0.  M$ releases 3.0/3.1/3.11, which looks totally
>different from 2.0 (and IMO looks more like a Mac).  Next, Win 95/98 is
>released, and it get the nickname of someing to the effect of MacOS '87.

   I don't know all of Windows' history.  I admit to most of my
knowledge of the history of Winblows to be very sketchy.

>->They stole it from a Xerox interface.
>
>       Huh?  This is a pathetic response.  This is so bleeding nit-picky it's
>unbelievable.  This, IMO, just proves that you lost the debate and are nothing
>more that a M$ groupie and appoligist.  And besides, if you want to apply this

   You really couldn't be more wrong.  I hate Windows, and most
of the other things Microsoft makes, not because they're
Microsoft, but because they suck.  Had you seen my .signature,
you would have known that I use FreeBSD, and not Windows.

>kind of logic, I would argue that M$ did not steal it from Xerox, since Apple
>already 'stole' the idea from Xerox to begin with.

   I apologize, then, if I'm wrong.  I just heard that.

--
Powered by FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.                       "The Power to Serve!"

Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Gunshannon)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows
Date: 8 Mar 1999 15:13:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
|> Don't compare Linux with Windows 98.  Compare it with NT.  Linux still
|> has a load of advantages, but even M$ wouldn't claim that 98 competes
|> with a protected-mode OS like Linux.  Multitasking in NT is quite OK,
|> and the multithreading works really well (compared to 98 anyway).

And let's not forget security.  You know like file protections.
No need to log in as root (administrator) on NT.  Anybody can
change any file anytime they want to. (Want to see an example??
Come watch us trying to maintain a public student lab full of
machines running NT.)

bill

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

From: "Bryan Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.os.linux
Subject: ZIP Disk & SCSI HD Installation
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:50:45 -0500

I have recently acquired a Paralell Port Zip 100 Drive, and I would like to
get it to work with Slackware Linux 3.6 distribution.  I have a SCSI
controller on my motherboard with a 2GB HD and a 4x CD drive on it.  I have
tried to boot with the IOMEGA.S boot disk to attempt to load the ZIP drive
to try it out, however, it seems like it makes the zip drive /dev/sda, but
that is where my hard drive is!  When everything else trys to load, and
finds an empty zip disk instead of a hard drive, it stops with a Kernel
Panic error.  Any suggestions?

 - Bryan

Please reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] if possible.

"I'd be a fool if I didn't learn from my own mistakes, but I'd be a fucking
moron if I didn't learn from other people's!"

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fetchmail problems
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:52:58 GMT

Hi,

I'm running SuSE, kernel 2.2.0 and fetchmail 4.7.8

I've suddenly started having problems with fetchmail. It has been
working perfectly well, now it gets stuck retrieving mail. If I have no
mail on the server it works fine, but if I have messages, it gets stuck
downloading the first one... like this:

fetchmail: POP3< +OK InterMail POP3 server ready.
fetchmail: POP3> USER benbean
fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK benbean is welcome here
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 1336
1 message for benbean at mail (1336 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 messages
fetchmail: POP3< 1 1336
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1336 octets
reading message 1 of 1 (1336 octets)

and there it hangs.

Other POP clients such as the KDE mail client, Netscape and Pine are
able to POP the mail just fine, but fetchmail keeps getting stuck. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled it... rebuilt it. All to no avail.

Help!

------------------------------

From: egray7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Creative Labs Awe32
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:53:09 GMT

I've been trying to get my Awe32 PNP to work with my copy of OpenLinux
1.3, and have followed the directions in the Sound-How-To and
Awe-32-Mini-How-To (correctly, I think)...my kernel
appears to be correctly set up, maybe not the modules though...any way I
can check?   ISAPNP runs
at boot time and I think my isapnp.conf is set up correctly.   Anyway,
following the driections in the
mini-how-to at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Soundblaster-AWE.html I get as far
as
the testing part, and that's where things seem to be messed up.   Don't
know what's going wrong,
maybe I'm not loading the modules properly or something..   All I get
when I use cat /dev/sndstat is
a line under the Synthezizer part for the Awe32(the rest are
empty).      Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Edward Vigmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to run boot-time scripts without rebooting
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:57:26 GMT

David Wall wrote:

> Login as root and type in the name of the script with either 'start' or
> 'stop' as the parameter.
>
> i.e. to start/stop httpd:
>
> cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
> ./httpd start
> ./httpd stop

or sometimes just use the argument restart

--
Ed Vigmond
Institut de Genie Biomedical, Universite de Montreal

From: "Joven (Another Linux User!)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & VPN
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:47:57 +0800

Why not consider this?
www.internet-appliance.com

------------------------------

From: Jean-Yves TOUMIT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:49:08 +0000

Brent Phillips wrote:

> Jean-Yves TOUMIT wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I just upgraded to kernel 2.2.2 (I had the 2.2.1 before) and suddenly,
> > xosview doesn't work anymore. To recompile the new kernel, I just copied
> > the .config from the old kernel directory to the new one.
> > I have verified that the /proc filesystem is included in it, it seems
> > OK.
> > What happens is that xosview runs and keeps on running using 80% CPU but
> > without displaying any window...
> >
> > Any ideas? (BTW, any other good programs that would be equivalent to
> > xosview?)
> >
> > --
> > Jean-Yves TOUMIT
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://rfv-pc28.insa-lyon.fr
>
> Yea you have to update to the newest XOSView...
And where can I find it (I've got the 1.6.1.a4) and all I could find by
a quick search at altavista and some ftp sites was not better than
1.6.1.3.
By the way, what seems to be a problem is the interrupts and the cpu
because it works well using a command like :
xosview +load -cpu +mem +swap -battery +net -int

--
Jean-Yves TOUMIT
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: mailer daemon for me
Date: 8 Mar 1999 15:47:24 GMT

In linux.redhat.misc virgil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
# i am searching for a mailer demon which can handle multiple domains
# (mail domains like "@dom1.com" and "@dom2.com") for incoming and
# outgoing mails.

sendmail, qmail, etc, etc, etc.  sendmail comes with (to my knowledge) all
distributions.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

------------------------------

From: Bernd Gehrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:45:51 +0100

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Barry Margolin wrote:
> Am I misunderstanding you, or do you have it backward?  The GPL says that
> you do *not* have to provide source code for the parts that are normally
> supplied with the OS.

No. It says that you don't have to provide source code "unless that
component itself accompanies the executable". This is an exception
from the exception. Formulated positively, it means "You must provide
source for all components of the OS that accompany the executable".

Bernd.

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with parport.
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 18:30:59 +0000

Hi!
 I recently changed to the 2.2.1 kernel. I had 2.0.35. I got everything
to work BUT my LPT1 and the Zip drive on it.
I have a printer on LPT2 on a IO card, it works fine,  but for some
reason parport sees it a /dev/lp0, and totally ignores my LPT1!  Also
ppa.o will not see my Zip drive, even if I put it on LPT2 instead of my
printer. ppa just responds that the Device or resource is busy. LPT1 is
the on-board parport on my motherboard, I have tried all settings in the
BIOS (SPP, ECP, EPP, ...ect) and parport will not see it. I have tried
many combinations of compiling support in the kernel and as modules,
turned auto probe on and off, compiled ppa as a module, or in the
kernel, ect....  I cannot think of any more possible combinations.  Is
there any debugging that I can turn on? Any Ideas? Both ports and my Zip
drive worked fine in 2.0.35.  - Jeremy

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nntp servers
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:18:09 GMT

Jason Clifford writes:
> The standard nntp server is INN. It is used in tens of thousands of ISPs
> and other sites and is VERY powerful.

cnews is also widely used, and is much easier to set up and better suited
to smaller systems.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:47:39 GMT

Richard Latimer writes:
> Before I write anything else, a small disclaimer is in order. I did not
> mean to imply that we should introduce html usage into newsgroups. I only
> meant to point out that Outlook Express, a combined mail and news client,
> has the ability to handle about anything you can send it, or wish to
> create with it.

So does gnus.

> If you had a new baby, you could cobble up some dynamite announcements in
> no time, with cutsey pink and blue borders, pics of the kid, and some
> gurgling sounds to go with it. That's a more practical html usage.  The
> functionality is there when you need it. And it's fun (excepting the guys
> in the hair shirts).

It's also not too much fun for the people who have to download your 2.5M
announcement over a dialup line.

> Obviously, Linux cannot meet all of their computing needs, yet. Excluding
> server installations, there are probably few linux users who do not have
> a second operating system loaded, or a second computer running another
> operating system.

I have only Linux installed on my computers.  I had Windows on one of them
for a few months while I worked on a project that required it.  I deleted
it when I was done.

> If experienced users are content with the arcana, then they are not
> interested in the development that is needed and not participating in the
> necessary change.

One man's arcana is another's intuitive interface.

> Generous people wrote a lot of unix/linux software to solve specific
> problems. It was adequate for their purposes. It is no longer adequate
> for the challenges Linux confronts now. More elegant, simpler solutions
> are needed.

Write them.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 17:10:46 GMT

Harry wrote:
> You'd define a system policy and specify cmd.exe as the default
> shell. Why, God only knows. It's a bit like buying a Lexus and then
> deciding that all the electric motors for the back support etc and
> all the extra trim is slowing the thing down.

Putting a GUI on a server is like putting a Cadillac suspension on a pickup
truck and then complaining when the springs bottom out when you put half a
ton of gravel in the back.  The Microsoft solution is to keep the Cadillac
suspension and move up to a 5-ton, which can then just about handle that
1000 lb load.

With a decent OS there is no real need for any UI at all on the server. The
UI belongs on the sysadmin's workstation.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Patrick Lemire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network ARP problem
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:16:21 -0500

I've just setup a 3com 509b card in my SuSE 5.3 (K2.0.35) system.  I
followed the sample setup in Net-3-Howto and everything worked well
until i try to ping a station on the network.  The ping never respond on
the machine.

The ARP Broadcast went on the network, i could see it with a sniffer,
and the pinged station responded.

If i check in the ARP table, my neighbor station is in the list (there
is only one entry),  with the addresss 00.00.00.00.00.00.  So i suppose
that after the ARP request the TCP stack couldn't send the ICMP request
to an address of 00s and didn't sent it.

Could anybody tell me where should i check to correct this problem ?  Is
my ARP is in fault or something i miss in my configuration?

Thanks,
patrick