From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: color display
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:12:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 05:30:03 GMT, jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hi im using slakware 7 currently. my video card is S3 Trio64 with 2 mb
>memory. i was wondering how i can start x window straight away to 16 bit
>color without typing startx -- -bpp 16 in the command line. thanks for
>helping.

My XF86Config in part is like this.  The alternate 800x600 mode can be
switched to with Ctrl-Alt-keypad_plus for webweinies who use tiny fonts to
compensate for the jumbo MSIE fonts:

# The accel server
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "S3 Trio64 (generic)"
    Monitor     "Panasonic SL70"

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shawn Smith)
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.1 and networking
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:15:26 GMT

On 07 Aug 2000 03:52:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Photon85) wrote:

>Hello all.  (Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED] rather than the from
>address on this message)
>
>I am running Red Hat 6.2 with Linux 2.4.0-test1.  I first set up this system at
>college, and so I was able to set up networking by givining the Red Hat
>installer all the appropriate networking information (hostname, IP addresses,
>etc.).  However, since I am changing rooms at college next year, I will need to
>change some of this networking information.  I decided to try changing this
>information on my system now, just to see what would happen, and a friend of
>mine recommended I use linuxconf to do so.  After changing the hostname and IP
>address to dummy test values (these two pieces of information will be the only
>ones to change when I get to school), I told linuxconf to "activate new
>changes" and then I quit.  After rebooting my system, the system seemed to hang
>upon reaching the System Logger step in the initialization sequence.  I
>rebooted again and used the "linux single" prompt to gain access to an
>emergency recovery shell, and I again ran linuxconf, this time disabling the
>ethernet adapter device (but leaving the dummy information there).  Rebooting
>again let me use my system again, except that now I have no network support at
>all.  I have tried restoring the networking information to what it had been
>before, but that doesn't help.
>
>Does anyone know why this happened, and what I should do to fix it?  I know
>that reinstalling linux will fix the problem, but of course I don't want to do
>that just because my hostname might change.

Don't reinstall, this happend to me and I fixed it easy.

Red Hat's 5.2 Install Guide page 348 Support FAQ covers this problem.

Long story short edit your hosts file to be simillar to this:

127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.10.10   shawn shawn.smith.com

>Also, I was wondering how to upgrade my Red Hat installation.  Do I just boot
>off a RedHat CD of whatever version I want, and then follow through as though I
>were installing it for the first time?  Will doing this leave my home directory
>files and kernel upgrades in place?

Should give an upgrade option that will save your files.

All the best,
Shawn Smith  !UNT Proud!
My Resume http://sites.netscape.net/shawnspad/shawn_smith_resume.htm
My freeware: http://sites.netscape.net/shawnspad

------------------------------

From: Neville Cobb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Writing Software
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:18:24 +1000

Bob

As far as I know, XCDRoast is a front end for the other two. Most
distributions come with cdrecord and paranoia already installed and all you
need to do is run xcdroast, this is so with Mandrake 7. Another good front
end is gtoaster.  Start from http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/ this
site has a tutorial on how to burn CDs.

Nev
====================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.mach,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Operating systems for personal-computers?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:12:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel) wrote:
>Hello, couldn't help but jump in...
>On Sat, 05 Aug 2000 18:10:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:16:18 +0100, Kelly and Sandy wrote:
> >> The astronomer Dr Rachael Padman has
> >> written an article mourning the decision taken in her
> >> scientific circles to  abandon  VMS  and  jump  onto the
> >> UNIX bandwagon, and in the process given a wonderfully
> >> honest appraisal  of  UNIX:  A command-line  system which
> >> kicks off by replying that the word 'help' is not meaningful.
>
> >I read Padman's article.  She falls into a certain set of people
> >who want computers, computing products, and the computer industry
> >to be people-oriented.  Unfortunately, I frequently observe a
> >preponderance of women with this attitude (thankfully none of my
> >IT coworkers); it takes on a kind of motherly, clucking, excessively
> >"wise" attitude that what really matters in any discussion is the
> >"human" element, "human" meaning here whether people feel good about
> >themselves and get along (as opposed to, for example, developing
> >their full potential, creating a better future, pursuing absolutes
> >which they've identified as being valuable... put harshly, the
> >attitude is relativistic whining of the kind usually used by the
> >self-indulgent to justify their own dysfunction).
> >
> Beautifully put indeed.  "People oriented", and why not add caring
> and compassionate?  However what does "relativistic whining" mean?
> It sounds intriguing.

The folks who focus on "people-oriented" are big on "caring" and
"compassionate" too.  But these are just code words for them, a
superficial layer on a deeper underlying struggle they perceive
between different approaches to life.  Parallels can be drawn with
the yin-yang duality of hard, aggressive "male" (let's watch those
gender bindings, we may have orthogonal dualities here) energy vs.
soft, yielding "female" energy.  Caring and compassion are virtues
to be valued, and focusing on them may be a good antidote to the
culture of jingoist macho adventurism of the colonial world (which
we are just now emerging from), but so are assertion of absolute
values, aggressiveness, and hardness towards sources of damage.
Excessive "male" energy brings destruction through brutality,
excessive "female" energy brings destruction through self-indulgent
decay.  Current culture makes "caring" and "compassion" into
social fashion and thereby meaningless; taken beyond their suitable
threshhold and without appropriate balance, they become excuses
for a culture of excessive self-indulgence and self-involvement
which wants conflicts to be resolved by parties to them reaching
a natural equilibrium (deconstruct me please given my theme...)
and underneath feels titillation at the animal conflict inherent
in the simplistic dominance-relation duality of "top" and "bottom"
(derived from the gay S&M community, frankly a collection of navel
orbiters if ever there was one), while being incapable of dealing
with uncomfortable and effort-demanding issues like absolute
measures of "right" and "wrong" and of the real practical value
to humanity of one position in a conflict or another.  They are
dancing the Bacchanal down the cobble path to the forum, where
they will enjoy viewing bread and circuses seated in the Emperor's
box as his pets.  They are but the duals of the Emperor, and there
are plenty of candidates for both roles in the current public.

"Relativistic whining" ?  That being "human" - the object of "people
oriented" - means not taxing my poor little mind with learning
complex processes which require effort, but rather expecting to be
given meaningless trinkets which will make my eyes light up for 5
minutes in "delight" until I get bored and want mommy to buy me my
next toy (yes, IT marketing actually thinks in terms of "what will
'delight' the customer" - this is a significant concept to them,
unfortunately more important than providing products which don't
require daily therapeutic reboots.  How pathetic.)  Having been
infantilized into playing our role in the reward system on which
the current consumer economy is based, we are now incapable of
individual effort, and instead refer to our animal selves, going
with whatever side proves to be stronger in conflict and obtaining
derivative sexual frisson from thus aligning ourselves, needing a
group or "team" in order to live productively (again dependent
alignment with external power), whining when discomfited and
generally incapable of identifying for ourselves and then supporting
a position which is most "right" in any given situation.  If you
detect a reference to the current cultural conflict between a
degenerated cleaving to (un) "natural law" and the late and lamented
culture of viewing man as of nature and yet separate from it, you're
right.  The pendulum swings again, and those of us who choose not to
partake in this by now really lame amusement park ride are expected
to pay anyway, among other ways in whether crappy software is
commercially (derived from socially) fashionable at the end of the
day.  The phrase "blow me, shitbags" comes to mind as a response to
the proponents of this way of doing things.  (Yes, if you notice a
lot of reference to sexuality here, you're right, but then the
expanse of human life has surprisingly short distances between
various cardinal poles, or maybe inter-dimensional shortcuts.
The personal is political (and vice-versa).)

> On the other hand she may want to touch base with the doctor in;
> http://www.wired.com/news/women/0,1540,34175,00.html
> and sort out what tomorrow's whine will be.

I found no whining there.  Yes, current feminism does frequently
buy into the whole package of "caring", "compassion", "connected"
etc. and appears to view that buyin as part of an embracing of
"rediscovered essential feminine values".  Sort of like the
"my enemy's enemy is my friend" approach of the remnants of the
anticonservative political opposition at the end of the Reagan/
Bush years.  I think with concern of whether these folks are
embracing traditional gender role assignments as biologically
determined when they bind "feminine" and "feminist" with "caring",
"compassion" etc. and thereby play into the hands of those who
champion those traditional role assignments (when a small amount
of effort in observation of self and others reveals both "male"
and "female" energies present to uniquely varying levels in all
men and women, relegating the thus labeling of those energies
to an inaccurate convenience based on cultural conditioning).
If I think back to the wave of feminists of the 1970's, I do
not remember perceiving any fear of embracing modes of living
traditionally labeled as "male", and in fact an assertion of
right and a demand to partake of those modes as a HUMAN (in the
real sense of the word) birthright.  But then the best are always
few and far between, and occasionally, in between the relativistic
whining, one does hear from and see some of the finer - and
harder - line and is reassured about the future of the race,
including in your quoted web page.  The more things change, the
more they stay the same, particularly when humans - not the finer
kind - try to socially engineer the changes.

Adios, & thanks for jumping in.

From: Neville Cobb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Grub/Lilo - How do you start with GRUB?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:22:59 +1000

This worked for me.
> I just did a complete reinstall of cooker 526 (hd.img) using customised
> install and must have missed the point where I could select lilo or
> grub, as it installed lilo. Can you reinstall GRUB after an install that

> installs lilo. I have tried using DrakConfig but cant do it.
>
> Can it be done and can anyone point me in the right direction - or do I
> need to do a comlete reinstall.

if grub is configured, just do "sh /boot/grub/install.sh" ...

otherwise, try "drakboot --expert"

Nev
==================================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: What do you mean by this?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:23:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:52:17 GMT, Yet Yu Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I use Red Hat 6.2 and KDE.  I use a free internet ISP.  My runlevel is
>3.  When I exited X Window I got this error, and what does 'AUDIT': ...
>:client 14 rejected from localhost' means?
>
>sh: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory
>kpanel: waiting for windowmanager
>kpanel: ok, commencing initialization
>ERROR: KFM is not running
>KFM NOT READY
>AUDIT: Sun Aug  6 15:25:18 2000: 1510 X: client 14 rejected from local
>host
>AUDIT: Sun Aug  6 15:26:18 2000: 1510 X: client 14 rejected from local
>host
>AUDIT: Sun Aug  6 15:28:29 2000: 1510 X: client 14 rejected from local
>host
>AUDIT: Sun Aug  6 15:29:53 2000: 1510 X: client 14 rejected from local
>host

I am just guessing that your box does not have a hostname specified, so it
is initially localhost and changes when you connect to a network (pppd in
this case).  X doesn't like this.  If you specify a hostname, then it will
not change when you connect and X will be happier.  If you don't have an
IP for your fictional hostname, just use any loopback IP (like 127.0.0.2,
etc.) for it in /etc/hosts.

--

Subject: Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:34:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steuber) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I noticed the other day when moving a few GB of files from one
>computer to another that when the disk light goes on, the network
>traffic halts.  Once the disk light goes off, the network traffic
>resumes again.  This seems to defeat the whole purpose of having a
>100bt ethernet network.
>
>My first thought was that the interrupt for the IDE drive was taking
>up all the CPU time so that the NIC couldn't be serviced.  But a

You're probably right :) Try "hdparm -u1 /dev/hd<device letter>". This will
turn on IRQ unmasking for the drive, reducing CPU overhead when there is
large amounts of disk I/O. For some setups, this option is considered
dangerous (CMD640B and RZ1000), but most people should be OK.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake?
Date: 7 Aug 2000 03:43:51 -0500

Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 31 Jul 2000 07:44:55 -0500,
> Tim Palmer, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> brought forth the following words...:
>
>>Cap'n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'll admit I'm somewhat of a newbie to Mandrake Linux,
>>>and this is probably a stupid question...but, I need the
>>>answer.
>>>
>>>I just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my system in a dual boot with
>>>Win98. My hard drive is in four partitions:
>>>
>>>Partition 1:  Win98 system files (1.5 GB) - hdc1
>>>Partition 2:  Win98 programs (8 GB) - hdc2
>>>Partition 3:  Linux Swap (133 MB) - hdc6
>>>Partition 4:  Linux Native: Mandrake Distro (2.3 GB) - hdc7
>>>
>>>After I installed Mandrake and LILO, Linux is the first
>>>boot option and loads Mandrake after 10 seconds,
>>>unless I type Windows. I want to set it up so that Windows
>>>boots after 10 seconds, unless I type Linux.
>>>
>>>What's the easiest way to change this in Mandrake? Or
>>>if someone could point me to a Mandrake HOWTO Web link
>>>for this, I would appreciate it.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>>>*** The Cap'n ****
>>
>>Eddit a text fial and recompial kernal.
>>

>Despite Tim's (poorly spelt) hyperbole, you can change the boot order in
>one of 3 ways.
>Edit /etc/lilo.conf to put the entry you want first in line and rerun lilo
>Edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the line default=windows (or whatever the windows
>entry is called) at the top of the file in the global variables section,
> and rerun lilo.
>Or IIRC using Drake, the mandrake config tool, you can do this, but I don't
>use mandrake so I can't be sure there.
>
>Note that Tim was either incorrect, or simply lying about recompiling the
>kernel.

One out of too aint bad. And you half to restart LILO. So mutch for never having to
reboot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester)
Subject: Re: Something OTHER than a getty on a vterm
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 07:50:45 GMT

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 00:54:54 -0400, B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Only problem is. anyone who goes to /dev/tty4, even non root
>can raise hell by killing anyones processes they want! as /dev/tty4
>will be running a program with the effective UID of ROOT!

I'm the only person who uses a local terminal. Two of my friends have
shell accounts which they access using SSH.

Would someone not sitting at the physical computer be able to "go" to
/dev/tty4?

--
-- Fester

 "Anyone can create 'smart' sentences
  by using 'one', 'thus', or 'hence'."
  -Tomo

 "Thus, one is inclined to laugh at
  anything Tomo says hence." -Dexter
======================================

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Aug 2000 23:11:37 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Hutchison) wrote:

>Try this. Create a file called /usr/local/bin/top-tty10, containing the
>following:
>
>-------
>#!/bin/sh
>exec /usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10
>-------
>
>(make sure you chmod +x)
>
>Then in /etc/inittab:
>
>10:23:/usr/local/sbin/top-tty10
>

>That works for me.

That is a step in the right direction, but is overdone.  No extra
shell script is needed, just an entry in /etc/inittab like this:

  c10:23:respawn:/usr/bin/top </dev/tty10 >/dev/tty10 2>/dev/tty10

Note that the inittab id "c10" can be any unique id, and that the
"23" should be the particular run levels at which this is to be
active.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)