From: "Joe (theWordy) Philbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:17:15 +0000

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Richard Latimer wrote:

Hi, pardon me for barging in on your <dispute?>... and for my liberal
snipping of the parts of your posting I want to respond to...
<Not to mention my bogus spelling and grammer ;) >

But I just had to respond. I agree with some of what you say. Though I do
so with clenched teeth, or much wimpering, <depending on my present mood
swing> I wish I could get the people who support the console apps to think
enough like you to make your predictions for the future fail...

> One day I was moving thru a thread about broken sound support
> in MS Outlook when a voice came out of my computer, "What's
> the problem!"  I like it.

UGG. I didn't want to go here but, This would be fine with me IF they were
very careful not to break my ability to choose to use text based console
apps without having to do the <to me> nightmare of continuously upgrading
my software just to stay able to do the things I'm now doing...

Speaking for myself, It would drive me bonkers to have a sound clip play
when I hadn't expressly selected that function. I also don't like to wait
for a graphic I didn't specificly ask to view. And I don't want animation
software to automaticly show me the latest joke either. It's one of the
reasons I like usenet better than the web.

> Computing gets gooey-er everyday and there isn't much anyone
> can do to stop it. It's too much fun.

 ONLY TOO TRUE... I myself don't find it any fun at all to have to interpet
 the picture that someone else thought was worth a thousand words when half
 the time it makes me think of an entirely different set of words than the
 ones that particular picture was ment to convey...

 I like some of the choices that it seams that only the gui crap offers
 to the less than expert user. BUT I wish they would offer a mode that
 displayed these choices with text based menus that expected keyboard input
 rather than making me wait for a high resolution image while my pc must
 track the exact pixle my rodent is pointing at when I try to click on the
 dang choice and OH NO THE MOUSE POINTER MOVED JUST A TINSY BIT WHILE I WAS
 PRESSING THE BUTTON... (a problem I don't have with the keyboard)

> Solving these problems depends on the Linux community. If they
> continue to do things as unix has done for twenty years, then Linux
> will fail on the desktop. It isn't practical to expect newbies to solve
> these problems themselves. They require make easier installation
> and capable gooey gooey gooey software.

 Here I agreed with you all the way, <right up untill that last line>...

 the gooey < GUI Graphical User Interface> is supposed to be a USER
 friendly interface right???

 It doesn't feel like one to me.

 Unfortunately for me, it seams that every programer who wants to make his
 programs user friendly for the less than expert seams to think we all must
 think graphicly... <wimper> to do anything without years of studious
 effort.  AND all the programmers who LIKE cli and text displays seam to
 feel that you must earn the privalage of useing them with years of study
 just to get the gist of the (I think) deliberatly vague documentation...
 <sigh>

> Newbies need help and a much better experience with Linux. If
> they stay long enough, they may solve some of these problems
> themselves, but it would seem more reasonable to badger
> experienced users into doing something about the problems
> themselves.

Well, I wouldn't mind solving SOME of these things, but I need a lot of
help to get to a critical mass of knowledge where I can start doing
anything that anybody might find useful... And I'm getting tired of
badgering the people who's good will I need if I'm ever going to get them
to share their knowledge with me...

> The first and most important thing to do is to undermine confidence
> in things as they are. Unix culture is too outmoded and outdated to take
> seriously.

NOPE, not really. It's just too full of SECRET knowledge... The things one
needs to know are kept burried where only the most persistant can find
them... Unfortunatly, by the time I find out the answers that I might even
have aggreed with, I will probably have to much built on a non-compatable
foundation and be unable to take advantage of it... It would go a long way
with me if they would leave the <beginer leval> instructions in an easy
to find place that doesn't require a fully configured system to find...

> This isn't insulting; it's just the truth. If you are happy where you
> are, stay there. However, don't expect users who have had a
> much richer experience with Windows to take current unix culture
> seriously.

<richer experiance???> look linux may be a pain in the <deleted>, but it was
the windows experiance that I was running screaming from when I tripped
over it and said, ah, at least here, If I keep at it, I'll be able to
accomplish something  somday the way I think...  ONLY everyone want's to
make it more like windows...

And I find that depressing.

You see Richard I'm kind of stuck in the middle, I need user friendly, But
for me that is NOT gui... I'm writing this to you because I saw some actual
thought in your words. And I thought that someday YOU might be the guy who
makes a difference. And so, I was hoping I might convince you to support
the idea that software should be interface independant...

I mean, I looked at free agent once, It had some nice features, (and they
have probably been improved) But I didn't like the gui interface. I can't
figure out why the kind of offline reading method of quickly getting new
headers with optional prefiltering criteria, transmitting anything that was
marked for sending, and downloading any specific item requested from the
info in the previous header run, and hang the heck up as if you had to pay
by the minutue for the connection is only available in GUI versions

I once had a CompuServe account, Till they started killing the old ascii
interface, And for the stuff INSIDE CIS the kind of logic I'm talking about
was available in a program called tapcis... Which I really wished could've
been used for usenet... In the dos world, this can be done with nettamer.

Personaly I wish this kind of offline-reading-processing / on-line-auto-run
was built into pine. It would make a great text mode front end for this
kind of thing...

So what do you think Richard? Do you see my point?

Or am I just coming over as an <deleted> pain in the <deleted>???

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: How to change date for Unix/Linux?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:09:22 -0800

SANDEEP SINGH THUKRAL(97011002) wrote:

> Try this
>
> run startx from root , then type control-panel to get the panel . This
> has, besides others, the icon for changing system date and time.

That only works on RedHat and others with Control Panel, its not a real
answer unless the person specified on of those systems.  Besides, all
that does is run the command people have already said to use.

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2 kernel: framebuffer?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 17:17:47 -0800

I hadc to modify and compile the fbset program in order to make it work
with the framebuffer device for the ATI.  Possibly you have the same
problem.

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:46:12 -0500

> So a bug in your graphics driver can - and often does - crash your
system <

If you've followed this thread, you'll know that I've been saying
this all along!

How on earth did I end up being Microsoft's apologist in this
thread? Anyone who knows me knows that I'm no Bill Gates fan. I
guess the virulence and unfairness of the attack on NT makes it
necessary for me to take its side.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Mehran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Realplayer
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 23:37:54 -0900

I've just installed Real player for Redhat.  It works except each time I
am trying to listen to an audio file (ram)from a site, it wants to save
it instead of playing it. I am new to linux and any help is appriciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan A. Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BEST HW For Linux NoteBook Project
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:47:04 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        gwizz@gwazz.* (Phil Stevens) writes:

[SNIP]

> The original poster asked for opinions regarding inexpensive notebook
> hardware for a Linux installation project. Some of your Anglocentric
> feathers were ruffled when example prices in US dollars were
> mentioned. Some of us outside your country wondered why you carry on
> about UK newsgroups in international ones.

Because it is being cross posted to a United Kingdom newsgroup that's
why. Check the headers and pay attention. As far as I am concerned the
only acceptable prices in a UK newsgroup are those in GBP, prices in
Euro's are probably acceptable at a pinch.

> Indeed. Shall we all quote prices in Indonesian rupiahs from here on
> out?

How about Euro's official first currency to more people than USD.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE in Debian 2.1 ?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:49:23 +0100

I note this morning that the FTP paths for the stable/base .DEB files
point to the ../frozen directories, not ../stable.  Hmmm.

John Hasler wrote:
> Not for a few hours yet.  The release was postponed at the last minute.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: Rafael Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: RPM install problem
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:22:34 -0800

1) I get the following message when I try to install the RPM package in
my Slackware LINUX when I use config command
 ... checking for gettext in -lintl... (cached) no configure:
warning:sorrythis package needs libintl.a (from the  gettext package)
checking forxgettext... no xgettext and libintl.a don't both exist; will
not buildi18nsupport ... checking for gzread in -lgz... (cached) no
configure:warning:sorry this package needs libz.a or libgz.a (from the
zlib pa ckage)
I installed the zlib package and libz.a and libz.so have been
installedin /usr/local/lib but I still get error messages after config
and makecommands. Any sugestions?
2) Where can I get gettext package in tar or gzip
format?
  Thanks,
    Rafael

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reinstalling applications? -- Cnt+Alt+Del -- Aliases -- Multimedia
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:33:32 +0000

Benjamin Sher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
<Snippery>

>2 -- I have read that the "three finger salute" means different things
> in
>different Linux distributions. I am waiting for my Red Hat Linux and
>reading up on Linux but I don't as yet have the Red Hat manual. Exactly
>what does Cnt+Alt+Del mean in Red Hat: Shutdown? Proper shutdown or
>improper shutdown? Or something else? If it means improper shutdown, is
>there a way to disable that command. One kind Linux user told me tha
>t this
>would be a possible solution but didn't specify how. Is that possible
> or
>difficult? I am so used to this "salute" to check programs, turn off
> the
>system, etc. in Windows 95, that I am afraid that I might end up
> damaging
>my Linux installation before I get out of the habit. Would very much
>appreciate a clarification on this point.

As with most things in Linux, CTRL-ALT-DEL can be configured to do
pretty much whatever you want it to do.  Entries in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and /etc/inittab configuration files combine to tell the computer what
to do when the buttons are pressed.. There'll be lines starting with
ca and ctrlaltdel.  You just need to make sure that they point to the
appropriate command, such as
/sbin/shutdown -r now
if you want to use that sequence to reboot, or
echo 'CTRL-ALT-DEL has been disabled'
if you want it to do nothing but display a message.

<snip>
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem mounting Windows drive
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:39:26 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] scribed to us that -
>Hello,
>
>I recently upgraded LILO to version 21.  Since I installed it however I
>have been unable to mount my Windows drive.  When I try, mount reports:
>
>mount: wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda1
>
>What's more, I can't boot Windows.  When I boot from a Windows floppy it
>acts as though the drive is not formatted.  Could LILO's installation
>process have overwritten something on /dev/hda that tells the bios what
>format it is?  If so, can I restore it?  I didn't actually format the
>drive so all the data must still be there, I just can't get to it.  Does
>anyone know of a utility, Linux or DOS, which allows you to edit the raw
>data on a disk and know what the data should be?

Most likely what's happened is that you've installed LILO on a FAT32
Windows partition, and the two are incompatible.  When I did this the
data was still on the drive, but the drive letters had changed and the
(windows) drive was non-bootable. It is recoverable, though. 8-)

>Finally, the question I fear I don't want to hear the answer to:  Am I
>screwed?  Have I inadvertently blown away my Windows stuff?

No, so long as you have a working DOS bootdisk, you should be able to
boot from that and type
FDISK /MBR
from the command prompt.  This will restore your windows bootblock.  It
will also have the side effect of erasing LILO, so you'll need an
alternative way of booting into Linux, such as a bootdisk or via
Loadlin.
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Weeks)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: 3D Visualization File Manager for X11
Date: 9 Mar 1999 20:01:12 GMT

Hey all...

Just been looking into fsn type file management for UN*X OS' other than SGI.
You know.. like the little girl was playing with in Jurassic Park...

        see: http://www.sgi.com/fun/images/fsn.map2.jpg

Anyone tweaked/used/re-compiled/played with this on Linux yet?

PLease send any related info to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tom D Tek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Fleming)
Subject: Profiler for Linux
Date: 9 Mar 1999 20:34:12 GMT

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but would anyone
know where I could find a profiler for Linux (for C development)?

Thanks,

Matthew Fleming
Matthew G. Fleming, MD                  phone : 414.456.4072
Associate Professor                     fax   : 414.456.6518
Department of Dermatology               s-mail: Dept. of Dermatology
Medical College of Wisconsin                    Medical College of Wisconsin
                                                MFRC Room 4061
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Milwaukee, WI 53226-4810

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Mar 1999 13:49:57 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens) writes:

> >begin 644 Happy99.exe
>
> Since this virus apparantly runs perfectly under
> wine, I suppose there is _some_ point posting it
> to a linux news group.

And yet it still fails to replace the Linux TCP/IP module with it's
trojan horse.  :)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Patrick Schemitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Files larger than 2 GB on Intel/Linux
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:53:18 +0000

M. Buchenrieder wrote:

> Patrick Schemitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >is it possible to enable Linux/386 to deal with files >2 GB?
>
> >From what I read in the man pages for ftell()/fseek(), I guess I
> >run in trouble since both use long as file size arguments, which
> >is 32 bit on Intel. Is there a way to circumvent this limitation?
> >I mean, without changing "long" to "long long" and rebuilding the
> >entire system?
>
> Use the raw device instead. Of course, that does only allow one file
> per partition, but the size of that file would be irrelevant.

Unfortunately, this is not an option. Otherwise I could as well use
a tape (except for the speed). It is necessary to have a regular
filesystem which can be exported via NFS, etc.

Cheers, patrick
--
Patrick Schemitz, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Karlsruhe (TH), Germany

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error message at boot - Red Hat 5.2
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:52:21 +0000

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Michael McConnell wrote:

> > There are a series of registers in the Intel Pentium CPU addressed from
> > F0 0F ?? ?? that will immediately halt the CPU if you address them.
>
> F0 0F C7 C8

It is actually a range of (IIRC) 16 opcodes starting at that address.

In any event it is utterly immaterial for Linux users after 2.0.35.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

------------------------------

From: "Tracey Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't get PC100 motherboard w/sound to work
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:29:22 +0900

The Aureal sound chip is not yet supported under GNU/Linux.  OSS is
currently working on a driver check here for updates:
http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>On 8 Mar 1999 07:17:49 -0600, "David Calladine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>

>>I have a PC100 motherboard with onboard sound, and I cannot get it to work
>>at all.  I have tried 2 kernels, 2.0.36 and 2.2.2, and have had no joy.
(or

------------------------------

From: "Richard Latimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:54:14 -0800

Richard Steiner wrote in message ...

>Why should I want Linux to be a rousing success on the general user's
>desktop when it's already a success on my hobbyist desktop?

A larger user base would produce better hardware support. It would no
longer be necessary to beg, wheddle, or cajole information out of hard-
ware manufactures. They might write needed drivers and apps them-
selves.

A larger user base attracts more development. More development,
more apps from which to choose.

It would be nice to see Linux as a supported operating system on boxes
in computer stores.

>Can the current advantages of Linux for the hobbyist or professional be
>retained if it becomes a successful general-use desktop (and probably
>consequently driven by the needs of the masses, not ours)?

What advantages for the hobbiest are there?

As to the masses, the licensing system would seem to protect Linux. Say
Microsoft sold 200 million copies of Microsoft Office for Linux, how would
that hurt Linux?

>I agree with the general sentiment that making things easier is likely
>a good thing in both the short and long runs, at least when done in a
>carefully considered manner, but I strongly question the "need" aspect
>of this that you seem to be implying.

To expand the user base you fulfill the needs of users. As they are
varied, you give them whatever they need. You need to fulfill their
needs to bring them into the fold.

Microsoft Windows users are the largest potential pool of new Linux users.
They are currently running single user, multitasking, desktop systems. Give
them single user, multitasking, desktop systems. (gnome? KDE?)

Make it as easy as possible to switch and help them keep the frustration
level down as they install and configure Linux. A single user desktop
system is largely a matter of configuration, you don't have to do anything
Linux.

>Flexible solutions are often somewhat difficult to understand because
>they require knowledge to use effectively.

Management of multiple users introduces most of the complexity into
Linux, whether it's net services, security, file system permissions, or
user accounts. There is a good deal of flexibility in managing this.

However, if you want to run a single user system, the server side of Linux
becomes something of a burden. You are forced to configure and deal
with a lot of software from which you will not derive much benefit.

If an internet client access support package were available, I assume I
could reduce the size of my net support software by about 2/3.

Take bind and caching-nameserver support. Carve client DNS caching
support out of bind and you will probably end up with a smaller, more
elegant solution for single user systems. Do that for all services needed to
support client internet access, front it with a configuration program, and
you have a newbit's dream.

>I agree that beginner-friendly tools and configuration utilities will
>probably end up adding value to Linux as a whole.  But I don't think
>Linux should be turned into a Windows interface with a Linux kernel,
>and that is the type of end result that most frightens me.

That is exactly what a lot of users want, a Windows system that doesn't
crash. Don't worry, no one will make you use it.

richard

------------------------------

From: "Euan B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Probably Dumb Newbie Linux/NT Question
Date: 10 Mar 1999 10:10:48 GMT

This has probably been posted 1000's of times before, so apologies to
everyone :-).

Can Linux read/write to a NTFS partion?  If so how do I set it up to do so
and do I need any other modules / patches to accomplish this.

I have RH5.0 with Kernal 2.036 (I think).

Sorry if I have wasted anyone / everyones time and thanks for any info !!

--
Euan B