Linux-Misc Digest #396, Volume #25                Wed, 9 Aug 00 18:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need a bootCD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: FIPS.EXE & NTFS (D G)
  Re: Linux Installation on Compaq Laptop (Dances With Crows)
  Re: /usr/lib/python1.5/config not found in Redhat6.2 (MPeh)
  Kernel 2.2.16 not working with ATAPI IDE CDRoms (Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez)
  Modules in 2.4.0-test6 (Robert Lynch)
  Re: Linux Installation on Compaq Laptop ("Michael")
  fetch Helix Gnome from behind socks proxy? (Hammer)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.16 not working with ATAPI IDE CDRoms (sideband)
  Re: RTFM'ed to death.. (Kevin E Cosgrove)
  Re: INIT: Id "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes -- and it won't stop!
  using ramdisk for /tmp and /var ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  how to copy files from dos partition to linux (Sushil Dravekar)
  user/supervisor mode (emiel)
  Re: routing advice needed (Sandy Drobic)
  Bash environment question (Henry W Meyerding)
  Re: Bash environment question (Stephen Hui)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (blowfish)
  Re: RTFM'ed to death.. (fernando)
  Re: Linux on AMD
  Linux GUI development ("Melvin M. Meadlin II")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need a bootCD
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:09:12 GMT

Also, there is a bootable-CD version of tomsrtbt at:

  ftp://ftp.toms.net/rb/ElTorito.288.bin.bz2

Which is only the bootable part, it does not interfere with
putting anything you want in the ISO-9660 filesystem portion.

-Tom

From: D G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FIPS.EXE & NTFS
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 11:14:41 -0700

Sylvain Brun wrote:

>     Hello,
>
>     I own a very, very old linux slackware (dec. 1996), and attempted
> to install it on a hard drive actually used by NT WorkStation 4 (FAT NTFS)
>
>     For this reason, I can't use FIPS.EXE to minimise my NT partition,
> because
> it doesn't work with NTFS.
>
>     Could you tell me if any earlier "Fips" can do this, or else what other
> tools
> should I use ?
>
>     Great Thanks.

Partition Magic will work, but it will cost you.  Parted might work, but
documentation is sparse.  Fips won't work.

--
DG
e-mail is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Linux Installation on Compaq Laptop
Date: 9 Aug 2000 18:52:44 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:31:58 GMT, Jaffar Shaikh wrote:
>I need help about Red Hat Linux istallation on a Compaq Laptop. The Laptop
>does not have CDROM drive. Is there any way I can install it from the
>network?
>
>I know I can install it on another system by using bootable floppy and a
>Linux CD. Just wondering is there any other way for the Laptop without CD
>ROM?

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PLIP-Install-HOWTO.html describes one way.  If
you don't have a PLIP cable, you can do something similar with a
PCMCIA Ethernet card.  This is *not* reccommended if you have never
installed Linux before, because there are a couple of places where some
expertise may be needed.  The RedHat manual that comes with the boxed
set should have at least a few sections about installing over PLIP or
Ethernet connections; look there also if you can.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MPeh)
Subject: Re: /usr/lib/python1.5/config not found in Redhat6.2
Date: 9 Aug 2000 18:58:24 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:42:53 +1000, Sam Wun  wrote:
>I have python1.5.2 installed in my Redhad 6.2 machine wht the following
>lib path:
>/usr/lib/python1.5
>but there is no /usr/lib/python1.5/config directory in the directory. So
>when I tried to install DCOracle,
>it complained that /usr/lib/python1.5/config not found.
>
>Does any one know how to fix this problem?

Install Python1.5 development package.

--
Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.

------------------------------

From: Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kernel 2.2.16 not working with ATAPI IDE CDRoms
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:00:16 +0200

Hi all,
        After getting Linux 2.2.16 compiled and running, I've detected that
the  driver for ATAPI CDROM drives isn't working properly. Actually,
it's doing really bad.

        At boot time, they are properly recognized and no error or warning
message is produced. However, when the cdrom tray is ejected and close,
the kernels yields a lot of error messages like the following:
=================
ATAPI device hdb:
  Unknown Error Type: No sense data -- (Sense key=0x00)
  No additional sense information -- (asc=0x00, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Prevent/Allow Medium Removal" packet command was:
  "1e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
=================

        It doesn't matter wether a CDRom is in the tray or not. The sequence of
error messages always takes place. This is just the beginning. When
forcing the mount of a cdrom, either through gitmount or direct mount
commands, the system simple gets frozen. There is no way to recover it:
neither keyboard, mouse, network or serial ports respond.

        I've checked this problem in a number of different machines, Pentium,
PII, and PIII, equipped with different ATAPI CDROM drives : (e.g.
hdb: BCD 24XM CD-ROM, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdb: ACER CD-767E/O, ATAPI CDROM drive

        How anybody experience this problem? Do you know of a solution? Any
patch for the driver?
        Thanks in advance!

José Manuel

--
Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez            e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dpto. de Ciencias de la Computacion e Inteligencia Artificial

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modules in 2.4.0-test6
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 12:02:24 -0700

Hiya-

I've been trying to move from devel kernel 2.4.0-test5 to the
2.4.0-test6 series.  After a string of sub-test-version failures, at
test6-pre9 I finally figured out the problem: the /lib/modules hierarchy
has all changed around. It now looks like:

kernel pcmcia (just these two with my choice of loadable modules)

these have subdirectories

ls kernel
drivers  fs  net

and these have subdirectories, etc.

modutils (v. 2.3.11; latest I can find) doesn't seem to be able to deal
with this new module filesystem structuring.  I managed to hand
configure /etc/conf.modules with the paths to the various modules, so
now everything works.  Is this how "everyone else" is doing it?  Is
there a easier way, along the lines of depmod -a used to figure it all
out?

Cheers,

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:14:37 -0400

I've installed it on laptops without cdrom drives.
You need a supplemental disk that has a pcmcia driver on it. It will
connect the laptop to the network and allow you to install it from a
network share.

I have done it with a Dell laptop and a 3com pcmcia network card. It
kinda impressed me how smooth the install went.

Any other Guru's out there might want to add more to this response since
I still am fairly new at Linux.

Michael

------------------------------

From: Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fetch Helix Gnome from behind socks proxy?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 19:35:10 GMT

I'm trying to fetch Helix Gnome from helixcode from behind a socks5
proxy.  I have some socks clients that can get me to the go-gnome script
and run it, but from there, I'm dead.  Obviously the script will not
call my proxy clients to facilitate the d/l (grrrrrrrrrr).

Any ideas?  Would it be useful to fetch the bits manually and do the
install that way??  Is there in install script similar to "go-gnome" to
do the install, assuming all the bits are local??

Thanks.  Oh, and running Redhat 6.2

-=Hammer

--
MC
"I've been trying to get as far away from myself as I can" - Bob Dylan

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.16 not working with ATAPI IDE CDRoms
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:51:59 -0400

Jose:

Odd... I'm running 2.2.16 on an AMD K6-2 500 with an ATAPI CD-ROM, listening to
CD's as we speak...  What does your /etc/fstab look like pertaining to the CD-ROM?
I ::used:: To have that "problem" under the old 2.0.X kernels, until I figured out
I had the wrong settings for the cdrom in /etc/fstab....

Should look something like this:

/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 owner,noauto,ro 0 0

Also, if you've got an application running, such as a CD Player of some sort, and
you eject the CD-ROM, the program is probably polling the CD for data every once in
awhile, which makes the kernel dump messages when it can't find the data... so try
closing out that CD player before ejecting the CD, then restarting the player.

Hope this helps.

-SSB

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin E Cosgrove)
Subject: Re: RTFM'ed to death..
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:34:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) writes:
> Well, the first order of business is to make sure that we're all clear
> that com1 in DOS is /dev/ttyS0 in Linux.  It is common for installs to
> make a symbolic link to /dev/modem, but it is equally common for that
> to be missing or wrong if you changed modems since installing.  So try
> using the ttyS0 device first.

>From the "mgetty+sendfax" doc's (which you can view here
http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/mgetty_52.html#SEC52 )

    "We use `/dev/ttyS*' all the time for dial-in and
    for dial-out, and believe me, it works, and it's
    the only combination that will work properly.
    The kernel locking mechanism only works if you
    use modem auto-answer (the getty process sleeps
    until the modem gets a carrier), and mgetty uses
    manual answer (it waits for the RING message from
    the modem), which will save your callers a lot of
    grief because their calls will only be answered if
    your computer is ready to receive a call. Part of
    the motivation for writing mgetty was being tired
    of losing lots of money for useless calls to a
    hung machine.

    I'd recommend against using `/dev/modem' as a link
    to the real device, but if you do that, make it a
    hard link to the appropriate `/dev/ttyS*'. A soft
    link will cause problems with the device ownership
    because of a peculiarity in the linux chown()
    implementation..."

I've followed this advise and use only /dev/ttyS0 for both
dial-in and dial-out with both data and fax content
bidirectionally.  It works fine.

So what were the error messages?  Maybe have a look at
/var/log/messages ?

G'luck....

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: INIT: Id "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes -- and it won't
stop!
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:55:05 -0400

wtf???? startx not found ?

As root,

OK, simple stuff:  do  " locate startx"
If it errors out , do "locate -u /", which I think will build the database.
then do the "locate startx"
if you find it, then try running it by typing the full path to it.

Check :do you have a startx script which is world executable in
/usr/X11R6/bin/ or somewhere abouts?
Do you have a valid XF86Config file somewhere? perhaps in /etc/X11/  ?

>From run level 3, can you run the "XConfigurator" and complete  the setup
properly ?

Every time I've put in X, ( RH 5.0, 5.2, 6.0, Solaris ), there was *always*
a startx script to kick it off .

In the XF86Config file, is your mouse setup properly ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: using ramdisk for /tmp and /var
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:48:09 GMT

 I am on a project putting embedded Linux on a ARM-based
 target.  We are going to boot from flash with a flash
 file system, but we want to use a ramdisk for our /tmp
 and /var directories.

 Basically, we have to create a filesystem image to
 burn into our flash to use for the boot.  We have utils
 to create and burn the image, but there are some questions
 about the ramdisk part.

 Here is the general procedure we are thinking of using
 to accomplish this:

 ON DESKTOP
 ----------
 (1) We have a filesystem image from an outside source.
     We are going to use this to populate the flash image
     with the necessary files/dirs for boot.
     Mount fs image from outside source into /tmp/blah

 (2) The util we use to create the flash image takes a dir
     as its root and creates the image based on the files
     inside this dir.  So we create directory <whatever>

 (3) Copy files from /tmp/blah into <whatever> --
     EXCEPT for /tmp and /var

 (4) Create a ramdisk (size=?) filesystem and put the "file"     into
<whatever>/dev ... mke2fs <whatever>/dev/tmp_rd

 (5) Create a ramdisk (size=?) filesystem and put the "file"     into
<whatever>/dev ... mke2fs <whatever>/dev/var_rd

 (6) mount <whatever>/dev/var_rd /tmp/var_rd

 (7) Populate /tmp/var_rd with var files from /tmp/blah

 (8) umount /tmp/var_rd

 (9) umount /tmp/blah

 (10) mkfs.jffs <whatever>  (this is the util for creating the
flash image)

 ON TARGET
 ---------
 (11) Burn <whatever> image into flash

 (12) Use kernel w/ ROOT_DEV==flash block driver

 (13) At some point in the boot: mount /dev/tmp_rd /tmp ... when??

 (14) At some point in the boot: mount /dev/var_rd /var ... when??

 As you can see, there are some questions in the procedure:
 (a) Is this a reasonable idea and solution to use the ramdisk
     this way?

 (b) Any suggestions as to how much space we should allocate
     for the /tmp and /var on the ramdisk?

 (c) Where in the boot process should/do we have to mount these
     parts?

 Answers to these questions or any general comments are greatly
 appreciated.

 Thanks,
   -- kelly

From: Sushil Dravekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to copy files from dos partition to linux
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:46:09 GMT

I've a windows98/linux partition on my pc and need help to find out how
to copy files from windows file system to linux.

thanks in advance,
sushil

From: emiel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: user/supervisor mode
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:06:41 +0200

Hello,

I'm not sure if this question is offtopic in this NG, sorry if that's
the case.

I would like to know how an OS switches from user mode to supervisor
mode. I've read that this can be achieved by invoking a trap, but I
didn't really understand the explanation of how it works _exactly_.
Could someone please explain this?

thanks,
Emiel.

--
"I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree
with them"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sandy Drobic)
Subject: Re: routing advice needed
Date: 09 Aug 2000 22:32:00 +0100

When on 09.08.00 I read a letter from William R. Mattil
about: "Re: routing advice needed",
I decided to do war and invoked my tribal gods with:

>> I have a little problem with my linux server; two network adapters are
>> installed and working, but I can't seem to route packages from one net
>> to the other and vice versa.

> Probably IP forwarding needs to be enabled though I haven't a clue as
> what Suse's default behavior would be.
>
> Then it becomes a routing issue :^)

Thought I did exactly that, when I enabled the mentioned option in
/etc/rc.config:
#
# runtime-configurable parameter: forward IP packets.
# Is this host a router? (yes/no)
#
IP_FORWARD=yes

Didn't work though, so I'm currently compiling a new kernel and I hope,
my problem will be solved, if the relevant options are enabled.

Sandy

--
Linux is like an indian tent: no gates, no windows, and Apache inside!

------------------------------

From: Henry W Meyerding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bash environment question
Date: 9 Aug 2000 14:05:00 -0700

 I am trying to install mapster.  The program tells me that it can't
find it's libraries.  I have tried every permutation of tellling .bashrc
that the $TCLLIBPATH=/usr/X11R6/bin/mapster-0.2/lib but it just tells me
that my syntax is wrong.

Can anybody tell me what i need to put in the .bashrc file that will
allow the libs to be found?

Thanks

Please respond via email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

HWM

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash environment question
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:29:02 -0500

Drop the dollar-sign in front of TCLLIBPATH and don't forget to export
it.

Hope this helps!
Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:39:33 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Robert Krawitz wrote:
>
> > Okay. I agree that source codes are human readable.  But most real human
> > are not geeks or machineheads.
>
> Totally irrelevant.  Freedom of speech is not confined to speech
> understood only by the majority of people.

I would believe that machine codes are not speech to most real human.

--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer
user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture: Part-1.)
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...
  (c)Copyrighted by Alex / blowfish. 2000.

------------------------------

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:45:55 -0600

> I am about to try to get COM 1
> (tty0) to respond to a new init string. But, as you my well be able to see,

Maybe a typo, maybe this is the problem.
It is /dev/ttyS0

--
=========
Real e-mail: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 17:44:36 -0400

Check what video card you will be using, and if it has X support. Then check
if it is stable with the mb. I can;t get a GeForce 2 because X doesn't
support it yet.
joseph

ne... <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]..
.

------------------------------

From: "Melvin M. Meadlin II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux GUI development
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:19:02 -0700

I don't know if this is the right group to post to, but I'm sure you folks
will let me know if it isn't.... Oh well, here it goes.

The company I am working for is trying to port its software from SGI Irix
5.3/6.4 to Linux RedHat6.1/6.2.  We develop in an OpenMotif enviroment
including the ICS EPak widget set.  The EPak 3.0 set includes the wml files,
but neglects to include the wmd file needed by the uil compiler to generate
the uid file.  I have looked through the OpenMotif source and have found the
source for the wml compiler, but it is missing header files from the uil
source.

Does anyone have the entire uil package, or know where I can get them, or
the wml binary/complete source?

Melvin M. Meadlin II
661.277.5555
CSC