From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rescue boot disk
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:46:29 +0100

Or what he might have meant:

`mkbootdisk`

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dumping multiple volumes to tape?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:09:59 GMT

dump -0au -f /dev/nst0

from dump man page...

 -a      ``auto-size''. Bypass all tape length considerations, and enforce
             writing until an end-of-media indication is returned.  This
fits
             best for most modern tape drives.  Use of this option is
particu­
             larly recommended when appending to an existing tape, or using
             tape drive with hardware compression (where you can never be
sure
             about the compression ratio).

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Apache problem
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:08:53 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I noticed that my server admin email addres was set to
> "root@localhost".  I went into linuxconf to change it.

The Linuxconf contained in previous releases of RedHat all
messed op my httpd.conf, so I'll never let it touch
my Apache-configuration again. (Configuring Apache by
directly editing httpd.conf is'nt that difficult
and certainly well documented ==> more fun.

[...]

> When I went to exit it propted me to activate the changes.  The thing
> is that I didn't make any.  I selected make the changes anyway.
>
> Just to see what happened I started linuxconf and quit right away.  It
> prompted me to activate the changes again and I selected it.  I went
> through this several times.

That behaviour was probably present in Linuxconf before! When it asks
you
to allow it to activate the changes click on: 'Show what has to be
done',
or whatever... I guess it has nothing to do with Apache, but with
restarting
the network. Why it wants to do that... Who knows.

--
Greetings,

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Klyx and Pictures
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:43:42 GMT

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:11:45 GMT, Kyle Parfrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is it possible to convert .gif or .jpg into encapsulated
>postscript?

Gimp and xv can both do this.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Erich J. Wahl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XSETIATHOME DOESN'T WORK
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:07:24 GMT

Well, it actually did but crashed once and now I can't get it to work
again.  The documentation with the Seti@home client says "outstanding
shared memory segments and semaphores may be left active in case of an
abnormal exit of the 'setiathome -graphics' process.  These can prevent
any future invocation of 'setiathome -graphics'.  To resolve this
problem, use 'ipcs' and 'ipcrm' to remove shared memory segments and
semaphores that are not associated with a process."

Can someone give me an example of how to use ipcrm?

Thanks,
Erich

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Netscape 6
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:30:17 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : Frankly, I wouldn't call this latest version an improvement. It's so
> : slow at loading. I thought 4.7x was slow. This is slower. I will opt
> : for IE anytime.
>
> Are you sure you tried it? Out of curiousity I dowloaded mozilla build
> M18 two days ago and the first thing I noticed was how _fast_ it loads
> compared to netscape 4.75.

netscape6 loads up quickly enough on my ppro200 box (i.e., fast enough
for me not to care).  pages seem to load and render quickly.

on the other hand, the controls, menus and buttons, have a very
sluggish feel.  there is a noticable pause when i hit "bookmarks".
"edit->preferences" is a world of slow.  this stuff should be faster
since it's all local.  i wonder if the flexibility of skins and
xml/xul stuff is the brake pad.

> 4.75 probably takes about 10s to come up on my P2450 with 128MB ram.
> mozilla M18 is practically instantaneous.

netscape6 is better on the 650MHz P3 cu-mine i have at work.  it may
be a threshold CPU power thing.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Reiserfs
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:38:04 GMT

Koen Verbeke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi
>
> I use the reiser filesystem instead of ext2 on my notebook. Sometimes I
> leave the thing on too long without power. The thought of "no data
> loss" and a speedy bootstrap afterwards caught me.

the journal stores metadata, but not the data itself.  thus it only
speeds up the fsck stage (fixing disk pointers) but does not protect
against data lossage.

> I am now under the impression that it is rather intensive/active and not
> that stable. Every so many seconds, the hard drive has to spin where ext2
> doesn't. No load, just console, no background jobs, no crons, no ats, no
> servers running, no nothings. It spins for half a second and
> quits. Continuously. In a silent room, this sound can make you go
> bananas! ;-)

my guess is that this is probably the kreiserfsd in action.

> Also, with ext2, I had uptimes of over 100 days on my notebook (for my
> notebook - that's impressive, the battery runs out from time to time when
> I'm not around ;-) ). With reiser: an average of ten days. Then it just
> hangs. Same distribution, same notebook, same kernel, same daily activity
> and treatment, yatayatayata...

maybe you should go back to ext2?  ext2 is a fine filesystem with a
long history, hence there should be few bugs or problems.

> Question: reiser is still a bit unstable?

i've had fairly good luck with reiserfs over the past year.  however,
if the journal fails to recover everthing, reiserfs fsck is feeble on
the linux-2.2 version of reiserfs and fsck isn't ready yet for
linux-2.4 versions of reiserfs.  thus you can easily get into trouble.

i've had trouble when i used the wrong compiler for a kernel compile
and it messed up the reiser partition.  i couldn't figure out how to fix
it (due to lack of fsck), so i restored from a backup.

perhaps you should try asking the reiserfs mailing list.  the people
there are usually willing to help.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting back into Linux
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:45:06 -0000

"Graham Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the other os is installed in the first 5 Gs of the hdd, the linux boot
> may not be accessible due to the 1024 cylinder limit.  I don't
> know much about it, but I know it can be a problem.  G.

That's not the problem Graham.  I've been using it for over a month on the
new 30 GB drive.  X-CD-Roast has "roasted" the partition somehown, I'm sure.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Martin

------------------------------

From: "philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Grub set up?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:07:43 -0600

Thank you for the reply Olaf!!!
I really appreciate your taking the time to give me such a well
though out explaination...
i'll give it a try.
i'm currently booting to linux with a floppy...
and though i've even got a spare...i don't really want to rely on one if i
don't have to !

--

Philo

website : www.plazaearth.com/philo

dos win lin os/2 cp/m nde beos

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GAME: Defendguin 0.0.6 available for Linux
Crossposted-To: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.classic
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:23:08 GMT

Exactly one year after the first release, "Defendguin" 0.0.6 is now available!

Defendguin is a bi-directional shoot em up game based on the arcade classic
"Defender" by Williams, but with a Linux theme.

Changes in 0.0.6 include:

  * Two player support.

  * More difficult Mutant artificial intelligence.

  * INSTALL.txt installation documentation cleaned up.

  * ... miscellaneous bug fixes.

Source (.tar.gz)        and RedHat RPM (for Linux/i386) are available.

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/defendguin/

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RH6.2 login is now broken - how to fix?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:10:30 -0500

Moe Koenig wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 08:52:53 +0800, Robert Masters
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>You've been hacked.  Thats the usual response when a 'rootkit' has been
> >>installed.
> >>
> >>Take it offline ASAP to prevent any further useage by the hacker.  Then
> >>backup any data you need, and only what you need so as to not backup the
> >>hackers work, wipe the disk clean and reinstall.
> >
> >This is actually a bit extreme - if you can work out which packages have been
> >worked over, you can do a forced install of those packages from the
> >distribution - much less hassle!
>
> WRONG APPROACH!
> No matter how much time you spend, you can *never* be sure to have
> really found all changes and backdoors a hacker could have inserted.

Why can't you? If you did a complete backup of your system after you
installed it and before you connected to the Internet (assuming that
if you have a LAN, that you took similar precautions with all the
other machines on the LAN), you can compare the files on the backup
tape with the ones on your hard drive. Pretty simple with a backup
utility such as BRU. You could write a program to do it if you use
cpio, I guess.

You should also do a backup like that just before each cracker tries
to mess up your machine. Since you do not know when that is, you
should do it on a regular basis, such as every night (as I do), or
every week.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XSETIATHOME DOESN'T WORK
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:16:36 -0500

"Erich J. Wahl" wrote:

> Well, it actually did but crashed once and now I can't get it to work
> again.  The documentation with the Seti@home client says "outstanding
> shared memory segments and semaphores may be left active in case of an
> abnormal exit of the 'setiathome -graphics' process.  These can prevent
> any future invocation of 'setiathome -graphics'.  To resolve this
> problem, use 'ipcs' and 'ipcrm' to remove shared memory segments and
> semaphores that are not associated with a process."
>
> Can someone give me an example of how to use ipcrm?
>
> Thanks,
> Erich

Have you examined the manual pages; i.e., man ipcs and man ipcrm? They
are very brief, but should be sufficient.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  8:10am up 15:38, 2 users, load average: 2.12, 2.13, 2.06

------------------------------

From: "Marc Le Roy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Where can I get a pre-built POSE for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:29:11 GMT

>    make 2>&1 | tee make.out

or, if you are usinf Cshell (csh, tcsh) :
    make |& tee make.out

Marc.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 26 Nov 2000 05:12:01 -0900

"Marc Le Roy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>    make 2>&1 | tee make.out
>
>or, if you are usinf Cshell (csh, tcsh) :
>    make |& tee make.out

In that case, I would advise this command:

     exec bash; make 2>&1 | tee make.out

Of course a permanent cure is preferable... ;-)

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: "Stu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Partition Tables
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:31:08 -0000

Hi. I have just upgraded my computer to a new motherboard, cpu memory - i.e.
quite a substantial change to my system. However, I am using my existing
harddrives.

Not surprisingly, it no longer boots in linux successfully. This is okay, I
am quite happy to reinstall my RH6.2. However, there is some data I would
like to get hold of before I do so.
I am trying to use PICOBOOT to access my filesystem but whenever I try and
mount a partition I get an error. This is strange because previously I have
managed to mount these partitions easily using the mount command supplied
with PICOBOOT. When I do fdisk the partition tables are displayed correctly.
I suspect that because of my new motherboard the harddrives are being set up
slightly differently from before during the autodetection, but unfortunely I
have no record of how they were previously set up. I've tried changing my
BIOS to use different configurations, e.g. LBA,LARGE,Match Partition Table,
etc, but with no success.

Does anybody more experienced than me have any ideas how I can get to my old
filesystem ?
Have I missed anything obvious ?

------------------------------

From: "levi_al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to build linux under windows?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 18:37:17 +0200

did anyone try this at home?
is it possible at all?

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:01:28 -0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>

A very new and intersting approach.  Thanks.  I only have a *few
comments/questions. (I am not familiar with Win2k)

> Why not install lilo into the MBR ?
> It has to do with having independant OS'es running.
> Your boot block boots any active partition that is marked as such.

Can linux fdisk mark a partition active?  Last I checked it did but...

> Eg :
> At home I have this config:
>
> hda1 : /boot with lilo in first sector Active
> hda2 : win2000 (NT5) on ntfs 5.0  Bootable
> hda3 : Win98 fat32                          Bootable
> hda4 : Extended
>
> lilo asks me:
> LILO:
> linux nt5 win98
>
> Now for some reason,let's say  I dd'ed 2 megs of 0's onto the hda1 partition
> and destroyed lilo and the kernel file  accidentally . I can't boot the
> computer right ?
> Wrong.

You can get the linux boot disk (rescue disk set) you made earlier on and
use it to bring up the linux system.  You can then rewrite the boot sector
using lilo and a modified version of /etc/lilo.conf.

It does take a little hacking and a little time...  depending on the damage
done.

One last note.  I am not sure if WIN2k requires special boot sector
privilages which Win9x does not have.

> get the partition magic disk, set win2000 as the active one, and
> reboot.Win2000 comes up . I can boot 98 or win2000 from the NT loader,
> download tom's root/boot disk and repair the damage.
>
> Or say win2000 dies. I can still use lilo to boot win98.
> Or say I remove Redhat from the hdd ( which if you put lilo into mbr would
> require "fdisk /mbr" to remove ). I can still use the system.

you can use lilo to write a boot sector which load only nt5 or win98 before
you kill Redhat thus allowing a multiple OS's system if you do not like
Win2k's boot loader.

alternatively

lilo -U (ininstall lilo and the original boot sector is replaced)

> hth.
>
> Brando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I have a 6 GB HD (Laptop) and I want to dual boot Linux and Win2K. I have
> a fresh disk to
> > install on so I don't have to save any data.
> >
> > What's the best way to go about doing this? Which OS should I install
> first and how should

My recomendation:

Bear in mind the limited knowledge I have about Win2k.  Perhaps joseph can
correct any mistake I may make in it's regards if it is significantly
different from Win9x.

1.  Make sure you are using Large Disk Mode/Access (bios setting I can't
remember) so you HD does not pass the 1024 number lilo requires.
2.  Using windows fdisk.  Allocate the first partition for Win2k
3.  Install Win2k
4.  Install Redhat
4.1     During partitioning of HD set up at least 2 partitions: linux root type
(83), 2xRAM linux swap (type 82).  Optionally you can set up extra
partitions for mail directory, source code, /usr/local, /root, /home etc.
        I use /root, /usr, and /home.  The more partitions you have, the safer
those parts of data are from corrupting if something happens.  However you
pay the price with space because each partition requires a residual amount
available.
4.2     When configuring lilo

At this point you can take a "risk" and write the MBR, or you can play it
"safer" and follow josephs ideas (which are good and seem to be easier).

If you choose to take a risk and write the MBR you should be
prepared/willing to hack the system using Linux rescue if something
destroys the MBR. (virus perhaps) The rescue environment is rather
unfriendly.

Otherwise you need to reinstall linux (a major bummer) just to write a new
MBR.

Anyways, Thanks for listening.  I hope some of this was helpful.  I still
think I am kind of a newbie but this is a topic I (think I) know about.

REGARDS

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: shutdown vs halt
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:10:24 -0200

I use clt+alt+del to shutdown (halt) my system.  /etc/inittab has a line
where you can set teh ctl+alt+del action.  Default is shutdown -r -t 3 now
if memory serves.

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Library Question
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:26:31 -0200

Hello all:

What is the difference between a static library and a linking one?
How do you declare which one to use?
Do you need to have *.o files available?
How are linking librarys different from modules?

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to understand how libraries relate to code I write.
My problem is how to get an object's code which has been fed into a program
to execute according to some internal ordering.

Thanks in Advance.

Leo Cambilargiu