Linux-Misc Digest #409, Volume #19               Thu, 11 Mar 99 05:13:14 EST

Contents:
  Re: Serial terminal (Matthias Warkus)
  What clock do syslog, crond, and klogd use? (Sean)
  Re: Can NT with NTFS coexist with RedHat Linux (Michael Taylor)
  Re: best offline newsreader? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: this aint a brag BUT!!! (Richard Steiner)
  Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix (David M. Cook)
  Re: Hint on running X on S3 card? (Yngve F. Johansen)
  Re: Public license question (Bill Unruh)
  RH 5.2 and Hang when Trying to Ring the Bell (Jeff Rush)
  Re: AOL Instant Messanger for UNIX (Michael Proto)
  Re: "sorry, I don't recognize your terminal" (Walter Strong)
  Re: WTB/Re: UNIX/Linux book request for SysAdms (Michael Proto)
  Re: Linux <---- > Win95   (scientific DATA files rd/wrt able by both OS)  (Michael
Proto)
  Re: "/usr is busy" error message on shutdown (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: best offline newsreader? (David Steuber)
  Re: Ghostscript vs Canon BJ10e (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: ICQ in Linux (K Lee)
  Re: Bizarre "find" process running under owner "nobody" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: chown: bug or feature (Villy Kruse)
  lex/yacc question ("alan walkington")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Serial terminal
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:09:38 +0000

It was the 3 Mar 1999 03:03:59 GMT...
..and Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the terminal is in any sort of public space, your best option is
> probably a Termtek TK-625. Turn them on, hit RETURN and you've got a
> login prompt. They're configurable to a number of different text
> resolutions and terminal types.
[schnibble]
> No idea about Germany. http://www.termtek.com.tw/TK-625.htm has info on
> the terminal though. There's probably a link somewhere at that site for
> purchase info.

Gosh, all this makes me so excited!
There are at least two companies left making character-cell terminals
- this is so great, I could hug you all!

(Had a bad day; this really cheers me up. BTW, have you been to <URL:
http://www.wyse.com>? The specs for the latest-and-bestest Wyse
terminal are quite mindblowing :)

mawa
--
Unix drives the net, why can't it drive a personal computer.
                                                        -- Tony Austin

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What clock do syslog, crond, and klogd use?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:31:41 -0600

Hi,
        My CMOS clock (hardware clock) and system clock are set to the correct
time, yet my log files are all exactly two hours behind.  What's going
on here?  What else can be affecting the time if both system and
hardware clocks are set up to date?  I verified the time with date,
clock, time, and hwclock and get the same results.  The log files of my
Apache web server are all on time.  This is driving me crazy!  Any help
is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Sean

------------------------------

From: Michael Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can NT with NTFS coexist with RedHat Linux
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:44:15 -0500

So did mine.

-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:10:33 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Richard Latimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Richard Steiner wrote in message ...
>
>>Why should I want Linux to be a rousing success on the general user's
>>desktop when it's already a success on my hobbyist desktop?
>
>A larger user base would produce better hardware support. It would no
>longer be necessary to beg, wheddle, or cajole information out of hard-
>ware manufactures. They might write needed drivers and apps themselves.

That might well be true, but as an experienced user I know enough to
do research when purchasing hardware, and the SCSI systems I buy are
usually very different from the PC the typical user purchases.

I think a market without a single dominant platform would see a lot
less OS-specific hardware and driver development than we see now.

>A larger user base attracts more development. More development,
>more apps from which to choose.

Linux already has a considerable amount of development.  :-)  But I
agree that it is generally a good thing to increase the amount of game
and application development on the platform one uses.

>It would be nice to see Linux as a supported operating system on boxes
>in computer stores.

Or, stated in an alternative way, it would be nice to see software for
Linux easily available to those who choose to use Linux.

I've not used "computer stores" as a main source of software for seven
years now, preferring to use mail-order and (now) web-based stores, and
also a high proportion of shareware a/o freeware software when possible.

>>Can the current advantages of Linux for the hobbyist or professional be
>>retained if it becomes a successful general-use desktop (and probably
>>consequently driven by the needs of the masses, not ours)?
>
>What advantages for the hobbiest are there?

It's extremely flexible (I can use it as a desktop, a file server, and
a firewall box), it's inexpensive enough that I can install it on all
four machines here for very little $$, and it comes with enough in the
way of development tools to allow me to create software very easily.

>As to the masses, the licensing system would seem to protect Linux. Say
>Microsoft sold 200 million copies of Microsoft Office for Linux, how
>would that hurt Linux?

That depends entirely on what Microsoft would require to be installed
in order to run that copy of Office for Linux, and on what assumptions
Office for Linux users will make about my Office-free system when they
are sending me information created using that product.

>>I agree that beginner-friendly tools and configuration utilities will
>>probably end up adding value to Linux as a whole.  But I don't think
>>Linux should be turned into a Windows interface with a Linux kernel,
>>and that is the type of end result that most frightens me.
>
>That is exactly what a lot of users want, a Windows system that doesn't
>crash. Don't worry, no one will make you use it.

As long as a more complex/flexible alternative is available and is also
fully compatible with the common-user-friendly Linux, I guess I have no
quarrel with it.  :-)

Good comments!

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: this aint a brag BUT!!!
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:35:27 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Ernesto =?US-ASCII?Q?Hern=E1ndez-Novich?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

>Yep. I only have Linux... Why anything else?

Linux won't run Yarn.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +
    WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + MacOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
             (W)indows,(I)cons,(M)ice,(P)ointers,(S)heesh!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 06:56:59 GMT

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:36:54 GMT, Norm Dresner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Alternately, even a simple X-Window based editor would rake in the dough.

Unfortunately for your hypothetical Linux entrepreneur there are a gazillion
simple X-based editors.  GNOME alone comes with 3 (GxEdit, gedit and
gnotepad).

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yngve F. Johansen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Hint on running X on S3 card?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:26:40 GMT

On 28 Feb 1999 04:22:03 GMT, Brian Luczkiewicz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If the screen is wrapping around, that's usually a monitor prob related to
>using a res higher than your monitor can support, try dropping to 640x480
>or 800x600.

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster, and I'm
running 1024x768 in NT, but X runs in 640x480, and I still have the
same problem. Also when I run Xconfigurator and it probes the card,
the display get real messy, and I have to reboot... Anyone know what
to do?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 11 Mar 1999 08:05:06 GMT

In <qBIF2.577$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach) writes:

>Imagine, for the sake of argument, a 1MB copyrighted work.

>Imagine another.

>Why are they not mutually in violation of each others' copyright, given the
>existance of a key for turning either into the other?  :)

Because they were created independently of each other. A defence against
copyright is that the work was not copied, but independently created.
Copyright protects only copying of the original work. So even if the two
works were exactly the same as each other, if the person could show that
he created the work without reference to the original the copyright
actio would fail. Of course, the chance of the courts believeing that a
1MB work could be identical to another without one having been used to
create the other is miniscule.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Rush)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RH 5.2 and Hang when Trying to Ring the Bell
Date: 11 Mar 1999 07:57:07 GMT

I've just upgraded two unrelated machines from Red Hat 5.1 to 5.2
and have a wierd problem.  When telnetting into either box and
sitting at a bash prompt, if I do anything that causes the bell to
ring, my telnet session just hangs.  I can close it and reopen
another one but this is annoying.  I can just login and then
press Ctrl-G and make it happen.

I've set bell-style to none in inputrc, but apparently it still
rings the bell under certain circumstances, such as when
using filename completion and there are no matches.

One of these is plain vanilla 5.2 and the other one has had
all of the official updates applied, with no effect on the problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

-Jeff Rush

------------------------------

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOL Instant Messanger for UNIX
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:40:02 +0000

Eric Moss wrote:

> eric wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if AOL Instant messanger for unix will work with
> > Linux, more specific, Slackware 3.6?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric
>
> yes, but when in doubt, download it and try it... dont ask...

On a side note, two things I'd never thought I'd see in the same
sentence were AOL and Linux. Now I stand corrected.

--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] MCP: Win95 [-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: "sorry, I don't recognize your terminal"
Date: 11 Mar 1999 07:44:37 GMT

Rob Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <7c73pm$6ns$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Walter Strong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: >That's what I get when I try to telnet to my account from the console.
: >It also adds that it can't recognized my "linux" console.  Now, I have no
: >problem telneting in from within an Xterm, so my question is... What kind
: >of terminal does Xterm present itself as being, and how can I convince a

: linux:~$ echo $TERM
: xterm

: >console telnet session to present itself as such?  VT100 emulation would
: >be ideal.  I tried changing a terminal setting in /etc/profile, but that
: >didn't seem to make a difference.

: Try TERM=vt100 and then try telnetting to your account.
: The long-term solution would to put a "linux" termcap/terminfo entry on the
: other machine.

: Good luck!
: Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Thanks very much!  Setting TERM=vt100 worked like a charm.

------------------------------

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WTB/Re: UNIX/Linux book request for SysAdms
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:48:11 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Where can I find a copy of this that is inexpensive? I don't care if it is
> used or not. I want to learn something about administration, how to set up
> networks, and how to set up machines. Ken Turner Macon GA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check amazon.com, borders.com, and barnesandnoble.com.

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux <---- > Win95   (scientific DATA files rd/wrt able by both OS)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:33:13 +0000

rick wrote:

> Any know how to create a DATA partition that allows both Win95 & Linux to
> view RD/wrt fits files ??
> I have astronomy fits data to be collected in Win95 but must be analyzed in
> Linux (IRAF).
> 4 GB HD is all FAT, LBA mode, using Partition Magic 4.01, but must be more
> to it...?
> fits files are about 2MB & will collect 50 to 100 per night so wish to
> smoothly & quickly go between Linux & Win95.
> thanks
> rick
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For most of my operations that require both Win9X and Linux to access
the same data, FAT works quite nicely.

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "/usr is busy" error message on shutdown
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:30:38 +0000

Have you upgraded anything? Specifically, have you installed glibc-2.1
according to the instructions?

These instructions tell you to move your old libc5 libraries to a new
directory on /usr. Unfortunately, the old libc5 umount command that runs
on shutdown requires access to it during unmounting of /usr, which holds
the libraries open and marks the partition as busy...

I moved my libc.so.5 back to /lib with no apparent problems and the
problem went away.

Mark.

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Mar 1999 20:11:31 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson) writes:

-> sure, keep thinking that as M$ loses market share in the server market, and
-> as it's growth slows in the desktop market. Linux unix and the *BSD camps are
-> making huge strides in the desktop, and own the servers.

I think MSFT will gain market share in the low end server for another
year or two.  There are still plenty of people pushing Microsoft
solutions even though Linux or FreeBSD would do the job better.

It would probably really help Linux to have a decent groupware server
running on it.  Failing that, Lotus Domino server (or what ever it is
that serves for Notes) will do in a pinch.  Novell could also spread
their risk by porting GroupWise over to Linux/FreeBSD.

There is no need to rush.  Microsoft will live or die by their
propriatary sword.  Linux and FreeBSD will continue to gain
installations because of technical superiority and simply because the
price is right.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

Where was it you said you wanted to go today?  Sorry, you can't get
there from here.

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ghostscript vs Canon BJ10e
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:24:57 +0000

I have a BJ-10sx working nicely in native mode with Ghostscript using
the inbuilt BJ-10e driver. No magic on the command line, I'm afraid. Try
looking at one of the "universal" lpd interfaces like magicprinter,
perhaps...

Remember to set the resolution to 360. Have you tried printing a known
good PS file, like <gs>/examples/tiger.ps?

Mark.

------------------------------

From: K Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ICQ in Linux
Date: 11 Mar 1999 09:17:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   Joel Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > I am running RedHat 5.2, with kernel 2.0.36, and am trying to get an ICQ
: > program going for it.. has anyone succesfully gotten ICQ to work in
: > Linux?  If so, what version of ICQ (or copy) was it?  And how did you go
-snip-
: I know of one version that works with icq... the java version.        Try using
: kaffe, since, it's included in the redhat 5.2 cd, and download the beta java
: icq software... it works reasonably well. :)

As admirable as kaffe's efforts are, and it's quite faster than Sun's own
JVM, it's still resource hungry since it's Java.  I avoid anything hacked
in Java like the plague and I have a PII 300 w/128MB of RAM.

I use licq and am quite happy with it, although, I saw my buddy use
gtkicq it seems pretty cool too.

Steve
 void main(void) { if (windows=="stable") hell=frozen; }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bizarre "find" process running under owner "nobody"
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:23:05 GMT

Thanks, Bryan!!

You are perfectly right.  I have looked into it and indeed the updatedb is
the "responsible" for this find. It is trigerred from /etc/crontab.
Nevertheless the reason for my confision was that this is a "separate"
mechanism from the user based cron thus running "crontab -l" both by root and
by nobody won't show you any active crontab.

Cheers

Shay Tochner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: chown: bug or feature
Date: 11 Mar 1999 09:02:43 +0100

In article <7c6bj5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jürgen Exner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Not to mention that probably root would not appreciate gifts of SUID
>binaries ;-)))

On systems that did allow to give away files in this manner (SVR3), the
suid bit got turned off when a file is chowned.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "alan walkington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lex/yacc question
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:39:15 -0800

Gentlefolks:

I need to specify an ascii character in a regular expression by its byte
value, specically an EXCAPE character.

How do I do specify the byte value? by using \0x010 or ???

Thanks

Alan Walkington
Member of the Technical Staff
United Defense L.P., San Jose