Linux-Misc Digest #409, Volume #18               Wed, 30 Dec 98 15:13:18 EST

Contents:
  Re: Specs for SONY CPD 1704S 17" monitor (Fred Smith)
  Re: question about bc (Fred Smith)
  Re: Linux Run Levels (Ed Young)
  D-Link Card ("Roger A. Prata")
  Re: 3 button Mouse not working under X (Fisch)
  testallover (Buchberger Mario)
  running xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop (Marc  Delarue)
  Re: Perl/Tk fails - na undeclared (Wyatt Draggoo)
  Re: test (Carlos Rodrigues)
  Re: Wordperfect 8 install problem (William Wueppelmann)
  Re: modem dialing (William Wueppelmann)
  Re: Slackware screen clear on logout ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Quake II for Linux (Jason McKnight)
  ETRN with linux/sendmail (Christian Hernmarck)
  Memory chips vs. swap (Vesa Keto)
  Re: Why I choose HP-UX over Linux (Paul Jimbo Duncan G7KES)
  Re: ln: Musty smell to its man page (Dan Mercer)
  Re: Is Microsoft a nasty company ? I'm asking you this question.
(joseph_a_philbrook__iii)
  Re: question about bc (Gary Momarison)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred Smith)
Subject: Re: Specs for SONY CPD 1704S 17" monitor
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:54:47 GMT

Antonio Milillo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello

: I have a 17" Sony monitor, Trinitron tube, Multiscan HG monitor, part
: number CPD 1704S. I have looked in vain to try and find the specs for
: this monitor, to configure XF86Config.

: Does anyone have these specs?

Nope, but here's some places that might be worth looking at:

     http://hawks.ha.md.us/hardware/monitor.html
     http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Misc/monitors/o-z.html
     http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Misc/monitors/a-n.html
     http://www.monitorservice.com/
     http://clarinet.dcs.uky.edu/~fineberg/pc-desc.html
     http://www.mela-itg.com/
     http://www.nashville.net/~griffin/mondata.html

     http://cande.dyn.ml.org

I have no experience with the ones above but have visited this one and
at that time it had a lot of info:

     http://www.monitorsolution.com

 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.questions
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred Smith)
Subject: Re: question about bc
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:17:14 GMT

A Dark Elf ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I recently tried out the GNU bc utility, and I want to build a general
: purpose library for it containing useful functions like factorial(),
: tobase(), and whatnot, stuff that can be useful in CS math courses. I
: looked on the web for .b files but found none. Is there anything out there
: already made? Any other alternative to doing what I want (ie having a
: program to quickly make all kind of calculs) ?

>From the man page for bc on my Linux system:
       In most installations, bc  is  completely  self-contained.
       Where  executable  size is of importance or the C compiler
       does not deal with very long strings,  bc  will  read  the
       standard  math  library  from the file /usr/local/lib/lib-
       math.b.   (The  actual  location  may  vary.   It  may  be
       /lib/libmath.b.)

so, you may have libmath.b already on your system which you can use
as examples.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?

------------------------------

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Run Levels
Date: 30 Dec 1998 15:07:02 GMT

The run levels are provided by SysVinit.  They are used by the
initiation program when Linux boots up, and when Linux is halted
or rebooted.  By default Linux is setup to boot into level 3.

The levels provide a means to make your machine behave
differently on different boots.  For example, you may want to
run multiuser (level 3), or start up in X as a workstation
(level 5?).  You will automatically enter level 0 on halting,
and level 6 on rebooting.

To see how this magic is accomplished do:
ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

------------------------------

From: "Roger A. Prata" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D-Link Card
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:03:20 -0500

Hello all.. I am experiencing some trouble getting a D-Link ISA Ethernet NIC
to work under Slackware.  I just upgraded to 2.0.34 kernel.  I cannot seem
to get the driver initialized.  When I try a 'insmod ne.o' I get:
'kernel_version needed but cannot be found'
I have read EVERY HOWTO and FAQ that I can FIND, I have done web searches,
etc.  I cannot get this damned NIC to work.  I would really appreciate some
help from the experts on this one..  Also, after I completed an upgrade to
2.0.34, I can no longer mount FAT filesystems or ISO9660 (CDROM)
filesystems.  When I attempt to mount one of them, I get 'this filesystem is
not supported by the kernel' and it tells me to check /proc/filesystems.
Both 'msdos' and 'ISO9660' are present in /proc/filesystems, but I cannot
mount them.

I would appreciate any help.  If possible, could you CC any replies to my
e-mail.. [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-Roger

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fisch)
Subject: Re: 3 button Mouse not working under X
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:11:19 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>It was the Sun, 27 Dec 1998 15:13:54 -0800, Fisch...
>..and <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> >It was the Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:52:50 -0800, Fisch...
>> highlited).

>> >I don't think the Microsoft mouse protocol supports three buttons. Switch
>> >that mouse to PC mode and try it again, with a different protocol setting.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  It seems that switching to PC and trying the
>> MouseSystems protocol solved my problem, even though pointer movement
>> doesn't seem to be
>> as fluid as it was.  Having that middle button is more important.

OK, I'm still having problems, but I'm starting to narrow it down.
Once again...
   3 button mouse
   switch on bottom goes between PC & MS.

The mouse was working for a while with:
   Protocol "MouseSystems"
   Buttons 3

in the XF86Config file.

Then I started getting some really weird behavior.  The X cursor wouldn't
leave the lower left corner of the screen and attempting to move it caused
menu's to pop up like the buttons were being pressed.

I was forced to kill the X-Server from a telnet session in order to
get out of it. rebooting didn't help.  Mouse worked fine until I went
into X, then wouldn't work.

With the switch in the MS position, the mouse works fine, but the
Middle button doesn't work.
With the switch in the PC position it wouldn't work.

The kludge that seems to be working now is...
1. The switch must be in the MS position when the computer is
   booted up.
      This lets all three buttons work in main console mode.

2. After a startx command, I must switch the mouse to PC mode.
      This lets all three buttons work under X.

3. If I leave the mouse in PC mode when I exit out of X, bumping
   the mouse does weird shit to the screen.  I have to switch it
   back to MS.

This doesn't seem right.  Are there any mouse experts who know what's
going on?

I'm using a 486 PC, with a Trident TGUI9400 video card and the
XF86_SVGA server on RedHat 5.2.

Thanks,
Fisch

------------------------------

From: Buchberger Mario <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: testallover
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:29:50 +0100

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc  Delarue)
Subject: running xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop
Date: 30 Dec 1998 18:13:05 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to run Xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop computer, under
Debian Linux.
I am supposed to have an SVGA screen (800x600) with a chipset named ATI
Rage-LT Pro.
The only way I can make it (slightly work) is by creating the link
ln -s XF86_SVGA X
in /usr/X11R6/bin
and then configuring by XF86Setup;
Mouse and keyboard configuration processes went fine,
and I had to choose the SVGA option in the card menu;
The system then tried to start xinit; immediately after this, I could see a
blind region in the screen (in the middle).

Otherwise, there was indeed an xwindow in the screen.
The file /etc/X11/XF86Config turned out to be  wrong concerning
the number of lines and columns of the screen, even though I chose
the right option in the menu; it seems it was not retained...

I was told that I should use XF86_mach64 since this is the correct one
for ATI cards, and to choose the Mach64 option in the card menu;
but if I do this the screen goes blank when I try to run
xinit or startx and I have to reboot the system...
I tried different combinations, with not much success...

Does anyone has a file XF86Config that works on a Nec Versa LX ?
Or can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanking you for your help,

Marc DELARUE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
~

------------------------------

From: Wyatt Draggoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.lang.perl.tk
Subject: Re: Perl/Tk fails - na undeclared
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:15:13 GMT

I did a search on comp.lang.perl.* newsgroups on dejanews (I don't
remember if it was 'Xlib' or 'Compile'...) about this and found a patch
for tkGlue.def.  It didn't install for me correctly, so I had to do
parts of it by hand (Wasn't a large patch...).  Everything compiled fine
after that.

However, after I installed it, I get:

[root@monitor demos]# ./widget
Can't call method "Busy" without a package or object reference at
./widget line 268.

Also, 'make test' reported that test 5 failed (Font.pm)...

From: Carlos Rodrigues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: test
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:02:44 +0000

Buchberger Mario wrote:

> test
this also

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: Wordperfect 8 install problem
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:18:21 GMT

In article <76bn28$2ut$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Unruh wrote:
>In <U_Yh2.1578$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(William Wueppelmann) writes:
>
>>I'm having a problem installing WP8 that's similar but a little different from
>>the ones that I've seen.  I was hoping someone would be able to offer me some
>>insight.
>
>a) make sure that you do NOT have anything in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>environment variable ( echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH  to see)
>b) Make sure that you do have your ld.so.conf  set up
>(mine under Redhat 5.1 is
>/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
>/usr/lib
>/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
>/usr/X11R6/lib
>
>and then run ldconfig
>
>I had immense problems because I had entries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I've tried that and nothing.  If I run ldconfig -p, it *does* list all of the
"missing" libraries, so they are in the cache, and if I run ldd on other
programs which require the same libraries, they find them without any
problems.  Here's the command output:

ldd ~/wp/wpbin/xwp
        libXt.so.6 => not found
        libX11.so.6 => not found
        libXpm.so.4 => not found
        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x4000a000)
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x40013000)

But:

ldd /usr/games/xbill
        libXaw.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d/libXaw.so.6 (0x4000e000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x40061000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40073000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x400bd000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x400c6000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400db000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400e7000)
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x4018a000)
        libg++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libg++.so.2.7.2 (0x40198000)
        libstdc++.so.2.7.2 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.7.2 (0x401d0000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4020d000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40226000)

If libXt.so.6, libX11.so.6 and libXpm.so.4 exist according to xbill, why not
for xwp?

--
William
*** It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a grue. ***

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: modem dialing
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:18:23 GMT

pppconfig has worked extremely well for me.  All of the ISP's I've tried to
connect to use PAP authentication, so I don't know how well pppconfig works
for scripted logins.  It should be installed as a part of any standard Debian
setup.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Slackware screen clear on logout
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:27:35 GMT

Barry Grussling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Is their a way to make Slackware clear
> it's screen efficiently such as is done in RedHat
> when the exit or logout command is issued?

This is a function of the getty program running.

RedHat uses mingetty on the console which does this
by default.
Other getty programs may require a config file in
/etc/default etc..

Jason.

------------------------------

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quake II for Linux
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:58:47 -0500

Go read the Quake Howto (probably came with your distribution). If you don't
already have it on your system go to http://www.linuxgames.com. They have a link
that goes directly to it.

If you are running RedHat, I think you need the glibc version. If I am wrong about
this somebody please correct me.

I am pretty much a Linux newbie and got my Q2 running with my Voodoo card in about
15 minutes.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:12:18 +0100
From: Christian Hernmarck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ETRN with linux/sendmail

Hi

does somebody know how to configure sendmail to use ETRN?
senmail know the command but it says that it must be configured and I
cannot find a documentation about this theme.

ps: etrn is used to get all messages for a certain domain, via Port 25..

Thanx !

Chris

------------------------------

From: Vesa Keto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory chips vs. swap
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:26:16 +0200

Does Linux make any difference between swap and physical memory? What I
mean is, that is it the same if I have 32MB physical memory and 48MB of
swap, or on the other hand 48MB of physical memory and 32MB of swap? Of
course the more physical memory is available, the faster it will be, but
is there any other difference?

---== "To get nowhere, follow the crowd" -- http://www.netti.fi/~vesak
==---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:50:20 +0000
From: Paul Jimbo Duncan G7KES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I choose HP-UX over Linux

Hi there, and Happy New Year for tommorow evening :-)

Ilya wrote:

> OK, I feel cold and need flames to warm me up.  I want to list the reasons
> why I prefer HP-UX over Linux.

Sorry, not very good at flames. My first question, how much did you have
to pay for HP-UX?

> The main reason is the Mirror-UX utility available as an extension of the
> LVM program. The standard LVM allows one to manage disks and logical
> volumes very easily, but Mirror-UX let's one mirror disks. Have 2 disks in
> the volume group, mirrored, one crashes and you don't even notice it. If
> that is not impressive, I don't know what is. Make them both bootable.  I
> don't know anything about Linux but from what I heard an analogous program
> that does not exist. Under Linux, the hard drive crashes, and you lose all
> your data unless it is backed up.

Right, I believe that Linux can do software mirroring, obviously you'll
have to re-compile the kernel to allow this. Alternatively, you can
always get a raid card and get it done in hardware behind Linux's back
(I think its called RAID 1 - we have a very similar setup on our NetWare
boxes.

> LVM, even without optional mirroring, makes filesystem management piece of
> cake. If you want to decrease or increase a logical volume such as /usr,
> /opt, /var/, /stand, /tmp/, /var/adm/crash, just bring the box to single
> user mode, unmount it, run lvextend or lvreduce and and boot back up to
> multi. There is even a way to do it in multi-user mode. How does one do
> that in Linux?  Well, one can't, since everything is under "/".  Fill up
> your /tmp and everything fills up. To decrease a logical volume, one has to
> rebuild the machine.

Almost true. You're right. Linux doesn't use volumes like NetWare or (by
the sound of things) HP-UX. But my hard disk filled up a while back
(well its only a dinky 1.7GB thing). Anyway, everything was under root
like you said. So what I did was got an old 1GB IBM SCSI disk, chucked
it on the SCSI bus, and divided it into 2 partitions. I mounted each
partition up in turn under /mnt (oh that was after I did the mkfs of
course!) and copied everything under /usr/local to one partition and
everything under /var/spool (where the news lives) to the other
partition. I then deleted the stuff in /usr/local and /var/spool on the
other disk, just leaving the directory names, which are now just mount
points and mounted them up. I then added references in /etc/fstab (I
think) for the machine to know where things were when it boots. Jobs a
carrot :-) Anyway, no, you can't reduce "volumes" for want of a better
word, but I certainly didn't have to re-build the whole of Linux on my
machine when I ran out of space.

> Software management with SD-UX. swlist, swremove. Patches. I am not aware
> of a Linux program that does software management as well.

Well, if you've got Red Hat (I use slackware) there's this RPM system,
but yep, I think you have a valid point there.

> Books. HPUX has dozens and dozens of support books. Every man page is also
> available via hard copy, I found that very useful when dealing with
> problematic systems in single-user mode that don't have man pages
> available.  There are many books that go in depth about Unix subjects on
> the HPUX platform, unlike very entry-level Linux books I see at book
> stores. HPUX books like

<snip>

> The list goes on and on and on.  These are very good manuals that make
> Linux books I see look like 5-th grade learning materials. The material is
> available on a CDROM (LROM).

Oh please! There are stacks of books on Linux, and many of them have
materials on CD-ROM. This is totally unjustified. I personally have the
O'Reilly Linux Network Administrator's Guide. The other books I have are
just generic Unix books about things like Sendmail, TCP/IP and csh/tcsh.
They don't need to be specific about Linux. Like HP-UX, you can always
print out the man pages or the HOWTO documents, which are the most
wonderful thing since sliced hedgehog :-)

> Hardware. HPUX machines are all SCSI. Most Linux machines are not, and do
> not make as stable servers as all-SCSI machines. The bargains people see in
> Walmart and the Computer Shopper are good deals, but not necessarily the
> best machines available.  These 300-400Mhz machines might have the listed
> CPU speed, but the BUS is typically a lot slower, and that is the
> bottleneck. I heard an estimate that a 300Mhz PC is equal to a 100Mhz HPUX
> server in terms of overall speed. The HPUX workstations I have seen are so
> stable. I keep them up for months. The only reason mine crashed recently
> was because I accidently stepped on the power cord under the desk and
> unplugged it. HPUX (and Sun, and DEC) has better hardware, much better
> kick-ass monitors compared to any PC ones I have seen.

You have the option to make your machine all SCSI - mine had been in the
past. At the mo, there is a 1.7GB IDE drive, a 1GB SCSI drive, a 1GB
SCSI Jaz drive, and an NEC 6xi SCSI CD-ROM drive. Anyway, Linux will run
on stacks of different hardware, including multi processor stuff, so
hardware isn't really an issue here, is it? Its basically a matter of
how much money you're willing to spend. Oh, BTW, Sun's monitors are made
by Sony, as (I believe - someone correct me) are SGI's.

> HPUX is popular. So many data centers around the country have powerful
> servers running it, if you know HPUX, you will always have a job, more jobs
> than you can handle. I don't think this statement applies to Linux.

Well, the BBC and IKEA use Linux, admitedly probably just for web
servers, but there you go. Apparently Linux is also used quite a lot for
firewalls. Alegedly Linux is used for more web servers than any other
OS.

> What else. HPUX 10.20 is Y2K compliant with patches. 11.0 is a 64 bit
> operating system. Does Linux have a 64 bit OS? Is Lunix Y2K compliant?  How
> do you know? Is it officially certified as being compliant?

I believe it is. Most Unix systems count seconds since 1970, and that
runs out in 2036(ish?). Linux does not HAVE any type of OS, it IS an OS.
Oh dear what type of person am I dealing with <sigh!>?

> I might give Linux a try when it evolves to the level I am comfortable
> with. I like the idea of freeware and non-proprietary hardware, but at this
> time I do not feel it is in my best interest to invest in the Linux
> platform. Feel to free to convince me otherwise. Linux is good for what it
> does: A learning platform, a way to get started. I think HPUX and Solaris
> both exceed it in every way except for price.

Well, there seem to be a lot of big organisations that think differently
to you (thank goodness!). IBM, Sybase, Oracle and Informix have all
ported (or are in the process of porting) their database products. They
wouldn't do it if there wasn't a market for it. There wouldn't be a
market for it if there wasn't a stable, reliable operating system.
Netscape has made it's browser available for Linux for years. Corel has
now released WordPerfect 8.0 for Linux - although, I still haven't
managed to install it (mutter-mutter). However if you pay $50 (I
believe) you can get it on CD-ROM direct from Corel, and it will
probably be a doddle to install. Linux is far more than a learning
platform now. Its already been in use on the space shuttle, and on
research ships in Antarctica. Having said that, it still does get used
as a learning platform in many universities.

Anyway, that's my rant over with ;-)

Paul
~~~~
P.S. usual disclaimer: These opinions are mine, all mine.
Paul Duncan                                     Tel: +44 1703 596385
Information Systems Group,
NERC Research Vessel Services,
Room 451/11,
Southampton Oceanography Centre,
Empress Dock,
Southampton,
SO14 3ZH.                               E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: ln: Musty smell to its man page
Date: 30 Dec 1998 16:09:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) writes:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:02:33 GMT,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) wrote:

>> data
>> >
>> > Not likely.
>> >
>> > Have you tried this?
>>

>> i dont have access to mc which has quota enabled.  But here is the url
>> which talks about this
>>
>> http://www.rootshell.com/archive-j457nxiqi3gq59dv/199807/linuxfs.txt.html
>
> Ah, but that talks about an entirely different thing, not storing data
> in a fifo at all.
>
> (Hint: you can't write to a fifo if there isn't a reader.  It's not a
> storage device.)

You can't store megs,  but you can store PIPE_BUF (limits.h) bytes
in one.  A ksh example:

$ mkfifo magilla
$ exec 3<> magilla    # open magilla O_RDWR as file descriptor 3
$ echo "gorilla" >&3  # write data to file descriptor 3
$ ll magilla
prw-rw-rw-   1 dam        users            8 Dec 30 10:06 magilla
$ line <&3            # get it back - note,  using "cat" would hang
gorilla
$ exec 3<&-           # close fifo

Dan Mercer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (joseph_a_philbrook__iii)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is Microsoft a nasty company ? I'm asking you this question.
Date: 30 Dec 1998 19:09:50 GMT

In article <768l2s$7to$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Richard Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Perhaps you could think again about the newsgroups you're crossposting to,
>Newsgroups:
>alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
>
>and keep it to the ones where advocacy is on topic ?

Well Richard, I'd agree with that if I'd been the one to start that
crossposting... I simply didn't bother to edit the newsgroups when
I told my reader <trn> to submit a followup artical... The list of news
groups were already being posted to by the artical I was responding to.

And while I basicly agree that crossposting to so many different groups is a
bad practice, I also think that anyplace that got the previous artical
should be welcome to any followup articals and thus I seldom edit the
existing list of newsgroups unless someone complains...

But since it bothers you, I will edit my next posting <if any> on this
thread to only incude comp.os.linux.misc <which is where I'm reading this>

I didn't do that on this message so that in case anybody who doesn't
read this group should happen to care to read any more of my postings
they will know where to look...

I hope that is sufficiant to keep you happy... <by the way, I noticed
that your folowup complaining about "my" crossposting was also crossposted
to all the same groups

        ---   ___
        <O>   <->    Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
            ^
          \___/      < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.questions
Date: 30 Dec 1998 11:01:31 -0800

A Dark Elf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> already made? Any other alternative to doing what I want (ie having a
> program to quickly make all kind of calculs) ?

You should be able to find more than you need via Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/science-and-math.html

Don't miss the "Scientific Applications on Linux" and
"Linux Software Encyclopedia" links.