Linux-Misc Digest #438, Volume #19               Sat, 13 Mar 99 13:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux Box Hardware (brian moore)
  Instant Messenger Client Needed (Joseph Dunn)
  Re: MAKE command (Tommy Willoughby)
  Re: Labels crashing WP8 for Linux ("Misterfixit")
  Re: CD autorun (Ron Bergeron)
  Re: Star Office Very Slow - WP8 Broken ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Compilation (Tommy Willoughby)
  VERY easy CHMOD question ("Katherine Davis")
  Re: Any GOPHER-Users around? (Ashok Aiyar)
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: COBOL compiler for Linux? (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: Linux LOCKUP!! ("Scott D. Hernalsteen")
  Re: Instant Messenger Client Needed (Tommy Willoughby)
  TkZip (Joe Ringer)
  Re: Samba problem need help (Brad Kusy)
  Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux? (M Sweger)
  Re: Extended partition help (John Thompson)
  configuring loopback (lo) problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: hacked login (telnet) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: rvplayer doesn't work after kernel 2.2 upgrade (Bob Schreibmaier)
  Re: gcc: cannot specify -o with -c and multiple compilations (Gérard Milmeister)
  Where did Nt-explorer for LInux go? (M Sweger)
  server VCP (Fish)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Linux Box Hardware
Date: 13 Mar 1999 16:05:21 GMT

On 13 Mar 1999 13:59:48 GMT,
 Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >It's not just the drive, it's the controller.  A SCSI controller (and
> >drive) have much more intelligence than IDE drives (and 'UDMA' is just a
> >fancy name for IDE).  This frees the CPU from a lot of the nonsense
> >involved in disk IO.
>
> No, UDMA is an improvement of bus master DMA, which (unlike PIO mode
> IDE) does free the CPU during disk I/O.  For details and links to further
> information, see http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA.html.

It's still much slower than SCSI (less than half the bus speed)
as well as no ability to chain commands.

# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   64 MB in  0.58 seconds =110.34 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  2.54 seconds =12.60 MB/sec

That's with my usual rc5des and a handful of windows open.  It'd be
better if I used a faster spinning drive (this is a 7200 RPM drive),
but it's still about 30% better than the UDMA stats in the HOWTO.

In the real world, SCSI handles multitasking much better thanks to the
ability to chain commands.  (The drive has its own scheduling
algorithm, which reduces seeks.)

> >My K6-300 comes to a screeching halt when I open large mailboxes in Mutt
> >(okay, they're 20-30M) while running rc5des.  My SCSI machines don't
> >even flinch.
>
> Are you sure Linux is supporing UDMA on your K6-300?  If it doesn't
> say so at bootup, it's not.

That system is running 2.0.36.  (2.2 still makes me a bit uncomfortable
and that system is rather critical since it does my network monitoring
and paging.)  Hence, no UDMA support.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Joseph Dunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Instant Messenger Client Needed
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:04:37 -0600

I need to find out if there's any instant messenger client (like ICQ)
available for linux. I can't use X-Windows stuff, so if anyone knows of
any text based client, I'd be glad. You can email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-Joseph Dunn
Whoever said words can't hurt me obviously never
got hit in the head with a dictionary.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:11:21 -0800
From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAKE command

angel13 wrote:

> Hi
>         Sorry I am very new to Linux and I have a problem installing
> software. I am using RedHat 5.2 and when I try to install software it
> require the use of MAKE command. But when I try to execute MAKE it
> give a invaild command. What should I do or is there another command I
> can use? Please forgive me and refer me to the right newsgroup if I am
> in the wrong one.
>
> Thank

It sounds like you have source code and I'm not sure that's what you
really want. I think you need to look for a *binary* rpm package of
whatever this software is. If you'll tell us more about what you want to
install we can help.

If, otoh, you really do want to use make, it's in a standalone rpm which
you can install. Make is one tool used to compile programs from source
code. My guess is that, since you didn't know that, it's not what you
want to do.

That's no problem at all. Just tell us what software you want to install
and we'll help.

------------------------------

From: "Misterfixit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Labels crashing WP8 for Linux
Date: 13 Mar 1999 08:11:03 PST

I've worked on this problem for a while and discovered that the same thing
happens when I attempt to open an MS Word document on my DOS device that has
been fast saved.  Complete crash with no audit trail.  Using KDE, CD-ROM
version of WP8 and RH5.2

Cheers

------------------------------

From: Ron Bergeron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD autorun
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:11:52 -0500

You mean like in Windows? There probably is, but most people I know
find that extremely annoying. That is one of the first things I
disable on any Windows machine I am forced to use for any length of
time.

I recommend that you NOT make your CD autorun.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Star Office Very Slow - WP8 Broken
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:46:01 GMT

In his obvious haste, Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
:>Corel WP8 does not run at all. All I get is the less-than-helpful
:>error message "Segmentation fault". No joke, that is the extent of the
:>error message. Not all that helpful!

: Use Applixware ... I used to run it on a P5 with 24MB, never had any
: complaints and now I am going to upgrade to the glibc version.

I can't see the power of the machine being to blame for the WP8 problem.
I've got it running (rather slowely) on an 8Meg 486 DX2.

I had StarOffice 5 crawling on it as well, but junked that...

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |                                                 |
|       Finalist in:-      | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:23:22 -0800
From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compilation

JG wrote:

> When I compile a program only one file is generated and placed in
> /usr/bin? So, if I want to uninstall the program, may I delete only
> this file? And the libraries, is there any problem?
> Thanks

It really depends on the program. Usually several files are generated -
object files, they're called. But there is usually only one *executable*
file generated - and it's not usually placed in /usr/bin automatically -
you'll have to move it yourself to where you want it.

It's pretty tough to give more specific info because programs vary so
much in size & complexity. There might be config files included which
have to be placed somewhere, for example. If it's a source code package,
however, there is almost always a README file included which gives
instructions for the specific package.

------------------------------

From: "Katherine Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: VERY easy CHMOD question
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:49:42 -0600

. . . at least I think it is a CHMOD question.

I am working with PPP (NO! Don't quit reading, the question really doesn't
involve PPP =) and am trying to run a script that dials and connects, etc.

I made the script, put it in my /etc/ppp directory.  [/etc/ppp/ppp-on]
I made a link to it in /usr/sbin since it is in my path.

When I type: ppp-on      it tells me:

bash: /usr/sbin/ppp-on: No such file or directory

I change to /etc/ppp and I type: ./ppp-on     it tells me:

bash: ./ppp-on: No such file or directory

The file is there.  The mode is 700, and I am root.

I thought I remembered there being a special mode for scripts, but I'm not
sure.
I changed it to -rws --- ---  but that returned the same error.

If I type: sh ./ppp-on    it at least runs the script, but that's not my
goal here.

What do I have to do to let this script be run from the command line without
putting the shell in front of it?

TIA!
-Kat Davis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashok Aiyar)
Subject: Re: Any GOPHER-Users around?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 16:29:42 GMT

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:37:00 GMT,
    Jolly Roger ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>On 13 Mar 1999 02:21:28 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralph
>Baumfalk) wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>is someone still using the old but nice Gopher-system?
>>Ralph
>
>It's slooooooooow over a dialup connection.
>
>I have a gopher question too, does gopher use the ftp protocol?

No, it uses the Internet Gopher protocol -- a stateless protocol.
Gopher servers typically run/ran on TCP port 70.

The protocol is detailed in RFC 1436, authored by Farhad Anklesaria
et al.

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.admin.isp
Subject: Re: hacked login (telnet)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:25:04 GMT

All hints are appreciated, and sufficient.
Mostly I already have what I needed but
for some reason now - telnet access
to the gateway machine is *NOT* refusing
r_oot_ login via the local network. (whereas
previously it had) ???

Kosta.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: COBOL compiler for Linux?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:57:17 GMT

On 11 Mar 1999 22:10:05 +0000, James Youngman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>"Eagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Is there one?
>
>Two.  Acu-COBOL and Cobcy.

I count something more like seven.  See URL below...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/langcobol.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: "Scott D. Hernalsteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux LOCKUP!!
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:01:26 -0500

David J. Novak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I'm running RedHat 5.2 on an AMD K6-233 (1.4 years old) dual booting
> with win95, and in the last week some strange things have been
> happening, so any help you can offer would be apprecatied.  Anyway, when
> I boot into 95, I have no problems except when I shutdown.  Normaly if I
> tell 95 to shut down, it ends up rebooting.  I can deal with 95 being
> flakey, heck, I expect it.  The big problem is when I run Linux, I can
> run (in and out of X) for anywhere between 30 seconds and 30 minutes
> before it locks up.  By lock up, I mean, the caps lock key doesn't even
> turn the keyboard LED on!  No mouse input, no hard drives seek, no
> keyboard input, the only useful buttons on the computer at that point
> are the reset button and the power switch.
>   I've been talking with a friend here, and I'm going to try to
> under-clock the CPU, and maybe lower the core voltage (I have an ABIT
> motherboard that allows that through the bios).  I've turn off all BOIS
> power managment settings.  The weird thing is, prior to this the
> computer has been running perfectly.  Then I moved, and now it's hosed.
> I've torn the case apart and reseated most connectors, reseated the RAM
> and even the CPU!!  Prior to this, it's been running so well, I haven't
> recompiled the kernal in MONTHS!
>   Any suggestions, please email me!  Thanks!
>
>   David
>
> --
> David J.  Novak                           GSM Radio Firmware
> Cellular Infrastructure Group             GPD/NSS
> Motorola                                  Life v1.91
> "Doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is ridiculous."  -Voltaire

I had a similar problem in Linux(no response from any display/input
devices attached to the machine), but luckily I have a network here so I
just fired up the other machine, logged in(via telnet) and was able to
do an orderly shutdown.  It hasn't happened since.

--Scott

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 08:55:55 -0800
From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Instant Messenger Client Needed

Joseph Dunn wrote:

> I need to find out if there's any instant messenger client (like ICQ)
> available for linux. I can't use X-Windows stuff, so if anyone knows of
> any text based client, I'd be glad. You can email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I use tnt - it's a lisp plug-in for GNU/Emacs and it's easy to use even
if, like me, you know little or nothing about GNU/Emacs. It's available
at:

http://www.aim.aol.com/tnt/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Ringer)
Subject: TkZip
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:03:55 GMT

How does one go about changing the fonts in the filelist window?

--
clear skies,                |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                         |
                            |It all boils down to freedom. A shrink-wrap
                            |agreement is, at best, a mild form of bribery
                            |and at its worst, nothing short of slavery.
                            |--Walter Dunz

------------------------------

From: Brad Kusy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Samba problem need help
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:05:33 GMT

I've run into this problem to.  The following URL should be helpful.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/samba_ntdom_faq.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: what "rc" scripts exist for linux?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 16:20:03 GMT

Stefan Monnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
: >>>>> "Peter" == Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > [Stefan Monnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
: >> I must say that since the /etc/init.d scripts are executables (and
: >> are not supposed to be edited) rather than config files, they should
: >> arguably not reside in /etc but in /sbin.
: > There is that argument to be made -- but even if the start scripts
: > shouldn't need to be edited, the runlevel directories with their
: > symlinks *are* config "files" of a sort and belong in /etc.  Since they
: > are in /etc it makes sense to put init.d there too, just so they're
: > close together.

: I guess my point of view is biased since my init scripts use init.d but use
: a file (/etc/services.conf) instead of symlinks in /etc/rc?.d to specify what
: to run when.  The advantage of a file is that you have more flexibility (and
: can add comments), especially since in my case this file is sourced by sh, so
: it can contain any arbitrary command.  Despite all that, I do use /etc/init.d
: rather than /sbin/init.d

: > Maybe what really struck me as strange when I saw OSF/1's scheme was
: > that they have *subdirectories* of a bin directory, which just ain't
: > normal....

: My shell is zsh and you can ask it to use PATH even for commands with slashes,
: so that `rc3.d/nfs start' would probably find /sbin/rc3.d/nfs and execute it.

Wouldn't it make more sense for all flavors of Unix to put all the
"bootup scripts" the "rc" ones in the directory where the kernel is stored?
The "/boot" subdirectory. In this way anthing pertaining to booting Unix
is segregated from the rest of the system and is in one place as a subdirectory
under /boot called perhaps "init.scripts". Lets face it, the rc scripts
do the same thing as Msofts autoexec.bat files with the Unix "conf" files
being the Msofts ".ini" files.

--
        Mike,

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Extended partition help
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:11:12 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> BTW:  Does anyone know if the boot manager that comes with partiton
> magic 3.03 boots linux?  it can't write ext2 file systems, and it was
> making me wonder...

IIRC, this is the same boot manager program that OS/2 uses
(modified slightly to support FAT32).  I use the original
OS/2 Boot Manager to boot linux on my other machine and it
works fine.  A couple caveats, though: don't use linux fdisk
or Disk Druid to create your linux partitions; use Partition
Magic instead.  Leave them unformatted and add the intended
linux boot partition to the Boot Manager menu before
installing linux (once it turns into a type 83 partition it
will be hard to convince Boot Manager to add it to the boot
menu).  Install linux and use linux fdisk to mark the
partitions as type 82 (linux swap) and type 83 (linux
native).  When asked where to put lilo, place it on the boot
record of the linux root partition, not the MBR or you will
overwrite Boot Manager's boot code.

Enjoy...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: configuring loopback (lo) problem
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:10:49 GMT

hi,
i am having trouble getting the loopback network connection
working.
doing 'ifconfig' gives the following
-=*
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          collisions:0
-=*
i belive that it means that the loopback connection (lo) is up
and running, but when i do 'telnet 127.0.0.1' it gives
-=*
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
-=*
and also doing 'ping localhost' gives me
-=*

PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.1/0.1/0.2 ms
-=*

the main problem is that i cant telnet to locahost.
any tips or pointers to debugging this problem ?
am i overlooking anything?
which log file can i look at to figure this out ?

thanx
--V0D--

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.admin.isp
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:05:29 GMT

My apologies,
It appears there actually is
a man (5) hosts_access page

I need glasses -

In article <7cb7r9$b3s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The hosts_access man page makes no sense at all.
>
> Thanks forever, (and to Colin) :)
> Kosta.
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury) wrote:
> > Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> shaped electrons to say:
> > >
> > >Contents of hosts.deny
> > >ALL:ALL
> > >
> > >Contents of hosts.allow
> > >in.telnetd: allowableip, allowableip, allowableip
> > >
> > >or you can just put your entire subnet in the allow file
> > >instead of individual ip addresses.
> >
> >   Also, be sure that the inetd.conf line looks like:
> >
> > telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
> >
> >   The "/usr/sbin/tcpd" is the most important, it lets the tcp-wrappers
> > security tools read and honor the hosts.deny/hosts.allow files.
> >
> >   The man page for the hosts.allow and deny files is hosts_access(5),
> > which is read by the command "man 5 hosts_access"
> >
> > [Now really Colin, there is no need to say a "luser drooled".
> >  Its really disrespecful and insulting.  LART yourself        ]
> > --
> > Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
> > ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U      Errant co-moderator of:

soc.religion.unitarian-univ

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.admin.isp
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:08:29 GMT

My mistake, there actually is
a man (5) hosts_access page

I need glasses -

Kosta.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Schreibmaier)
Subject: Re: rvplayer doesn't work after kernel 2.2 upgrade
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:34:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Has anyone else had this problem?
>
>After upgrading my kernel to 2.2 (I
>went to first 2.2.1 now 2.2.3)
>rvplayer doesn't work.
>The utility starts up no problem but
>when I try to play any rm file I
>get:
>
>****audio: write error: 384 bytes
>errno: 0

I had a similar problem with rvplayer.  Turns out it may be fixed
by a patch to the rvplayer binary.  If you do this, be absolutely
certain to copy your original rvplayer binary, just in case.

Here's the three lines you need to type to "fix" rvplayer:

dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=657586 conv=notrunc
dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=665986 conv=notrunc
dd if=/dev/zero of=rvplayer bs=1 count=1 seek=702554 conv=notrunc

With any luck you should now have a working rvplayer!

Bob

| Bob Schreibmaier K3PH | E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Kresgeville, PA 18333 | ICBM:   40o55'N 75o30'W        |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gérard Milmeister)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: gcc: cannot specify -o with -c and multiple compilations
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:16:36 GMT

On Fri, 12 Mar 99 14:36:15, Christoph Haenle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>-c means "compile only, do not link"
>
>-o specifies the executable's name.

-o specifies the name of the output file.

--
Gérard Milmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tannenrauchstrasse 35

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Subject: Where did Nt-explorer for LInux go?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 16:32:54 GMT

     Does anybody know where the NT xplorer for Linux Website go to?
About three weeks ago it disappeared from http://www.x-plorer.net.
(or org). What version is it upt to and are there any mirror sites?
Is it becoming aparat of KDE?

    I can understand why it disappeared, considering the price of
internet hosting at the above site. I would move too!

TIA

--
        Mike,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]#nospam (Fish)
Subject: server VCP
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:17:40 GMT

I am thinking about getting a dedicated server so as to supply web
space to my web design clients, i have looked at re-seller deals but
feel my own server would be better, however i have not been able to
find a Virtual Control Panel which would allow me and my clients to
administer accounts. The server would be apache on linux, anyone know
where i can get buy one ?

Fish

Remove #nospam to email