  Re: passwd protect runlevel 1 ("Peter T. Breuer")

From: "Dave Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:07:50 -0000

Hi Jeremy,

You can configure VMware to use existing disk partitions instead of the
virtual disks but you
have to bypass the configuration wizard and do a manual setup. I've used
this before to boot
a cloned disk from a linux box in a virtual machine for updates offline.

However doing this without some configuration tweaking will confuse both
operating systems
due to the different "hardware" environment of the virtual machine.

Dave
Jeremy S. Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3edV5.33459$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi Christopher and others:
>
> I am attempting to use VMware from both WIN2K and LINUX (Mandrake).  Both
> are installed and working fine on my system (different physical drives)
and

------------------------------

From: "Bracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need compressed tar file viewer, a la winzip viewer.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:37:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ron Reeder"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there such a program?
>
> If so where?
>
> TIA

My personal favorite is gxtar.

Bracy

------------------------------

From: "Alex Stoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning questions
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 07:12:23 -0600

Ok, thanks.
--
Alex Stoll
N22YF [at] AlexStoll [dot] cjb [dot] net
Patrick Bartek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> > Thanks, but, I have '98 installed on my C drive (I upgraded from '95,
but I
> > installed my 8.4GB drive when I still had '95). I want to have my new
drive
> > be the slave and have FAT32 and Linux partitions. I think I get what
you're
> > saying though.
>
> Okay.  No problem.  This is the way my system is setup.
>
> As below, use DOS fdisk from within W98 to put one vfat partition on
> the drive.  It can or needn't take up the entire 40 GB.  In fact, you
> can partition only part of the drive with any number of partitions,
> install Linux (or whatever), then come back later, and add more
> partitions.  FYI:  you can only have 4 Primary partitions, but any
> number of Logical ones, used for whatever OS you want.
>
> Anyway, boot the Linux CD, reconfigure the partitions for Linux,
> leaving what vfat partitions you want for Windows untouched, and
> install Linux.
>
> Most Linux installer, if you let it choose, will make two or 3
> partitions for Linux: / (root) and /swap or sometimes /boot, / and
> swap.  It depends on where on the drive you've told the install
> to put Linux.
>
> Go to www.linuxdoc.org and download the HOWTOs on installation,
> multidisk installs, and multiOS installs.  They should give you a
> better understanding of what's going on.
>

> > Patrick Bartek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > *** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

> > have
> > the
> > drives
> > Ed).
Will

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:06:18 -0500

John A Lee wrote:

> "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
> > Are you accusing me of plagiarism? Where specifically did you find my
> > drawings other than on my website?
>
> Don't worry yourself about anything Kulkis says. He's a well-known
> Usenet liar and hatemonger who doesn't really know anything about
> Linux or Unix despite his claims to be a "Systems Engineer".

That must be why I got an A in EE 467 at Purdue University,
a class where, among other things, one has to write a multi-user,
multi-tasking operating system with interprocess communications
in 4 weeks on a lowly 6809.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: root filesystem resore from tape
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:10:39 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:53:19 -0600, John Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Do you see any kernel messages showing that the SCSI tape device
>is identified when you boot the rescue disk?

We resolved this through email: I sent him a scsi-tape module (st.o)
that is compatible with his RedHat 6.2 rescue kernel.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IDE/Harddisk expert needed!!!
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:29:39 GMT

Hi there,

I've got an Asus CUR-DLS installed. I'm using a normal IDE harddrive to boot the
system (RedHat 7.0).
The on board SCSI contoller is used together with two SCSI Drives in RAID1. Mounted on
that RAID1 mirror
is /usr/local and /home.
Everything seems to work normal... BUT... the IDE harddisk is very slow 1,36Mb/sec
(checked with
hdparm -t /dev/hda). When I try to enable UltaDMA I get al kinds of errors and then it
gets switched off.

        hda: irq timeout: status=0x59 { Driveready SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
        hda: irq timeout: error=0x84 [ DriveStatusError BadCRC }
        (4 times... this error) ...

        ..hda: DMA disabled
        ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd0, count=2
        ide0: reset: success

All the other HD-parameters gets me tot aprox 2.38 Mb/sec.
On my Asus board is the ServerSet chipset used form ServerWorks, and I noticed that
RH7.0 is not capable of recognizing
the IDE contoller.

        dmesg:

        PCI_IDE: unkown IDE contoller on PCI bus 00 device 79, VID=1166, DID=0211
        PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
             ide0: BM-DNA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS  settings: hda :DMA, hdb :DMA
             ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd008-0xd00f, BIOS settings: hdc :pio, hdd :pio
        hda: SAMSUNG SV1022D, ATA DISK drive
        hdb: ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-50MAX, ATAPI CDROM drive
        ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 ,0x3f6 on irq 14
        hda: SAMSUNG SV1022D, 9732MB w/480kb Cache, CHS=1240/255/63

while...

        cat /proc/ide/hda/driver

        .. ide-disk version 1.08       (is this oke???)

 Does anyone know how to solve this problem???  ...for instance how do I configure RH
7.0 to use the correct IDE-driver
by hand??? ...and what driver do i need? ..or do i have to patch the kernel and
compile me a new one?

Thank in advance,

Kees

From: "Marvin Greenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: ipchains error
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:36:57 -0500

"Luke Vogel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Darren Welson wrote:
> >

> Most firwall scripts are fairly long, with several references to the
> ipchains command.  If the error is caused by syntax errors, simply place
> a few "breakpoints" in strategic places and you can then isolate where
> in the script the errors are occuring.

Or add "set -x" at the top of the script (sh,bash,ksh).

------------------------------

From: James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/ owner entries being changed
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:12:09 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Nothing's going on. It's what's supposed to happen. You are the
> > owner of the console bound devices when you log on at console aren't
> > you. Say "thanks!" to redhat.
>
> Who says it is supposed to happen ? Red-shitforbrains-hat ?
> Looks like that #$%*# init that Redhat uses, guess they never
> counted on multi-user logins on the console.
>
> Well I say "FOAD" to Redhat. Does SuSE do the same thing ? I'm
> pretty sure Slackware doesn't.

I don't think SuSE 6.2 does but, even there, it is possible to have
/dev/ permissions change accidentally. /dev/ttyS1 ( my modem) had its
permissions changed to root-only when I was experimenting with a
background use of wvdial. It also happened when I was using the KDE icon
editor which went into some sort of dim-witted error message loop that
needed  an improper shutdown to make it stop. I have no idea what the
was the connection apart from the illegal shutdown.

Jim.
--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Amirian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: urgent help - what does this mean ?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:13:58 -0500

Seagate IDE ATA66 30GB
RedHat 6.2

could you explain: linear support ?

907cjl$h3i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client - SOLVED
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:11:10 GMT

I think I see what the problem is here, but I am unsure how to create a
workaround.  When the client tries to set up the ftp session it makes
it in fine, but when the linux box turns around and replies, it uses
its internal ip address, which doesn't mean anything on the internet,
since its a 192.168.0.xxx number.  What would be nice is if the
firewall would reply back with its own ip address in the response and
then translate it accordingly.  I see this stuff in my error logs so I
know this is what's happening.  Haven't tried a windows box, so I don't
know if that would work or not.  The desired result is to be able to
ftp directly to my linux box, since that is where my web pages are.  I
know with FTP Serv-U there is a way to have the FTP server send the
packet back to the client with an address you specify, but I don't know
if there's a way to achieve this in Linux.  Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Ryan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:16:01 GMT

I'd like to see your scripts.  Could you email them to me?  Is this
linux specific or does it have to be a certain type of firewall.  Will
it work with NAT, because that's what the ugate 3200 does.

Thanks,
Ryan

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon ) wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:57:55 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:
>
> : In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> :   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon ) wrote:
> : >
> : > On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:24:45 GMT in comp.os.linux.misc,
> : > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:
> : >
> : > : In article <8v23g4$g2n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> : > :   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : > : > I am having the same issue.  I had thought of allowing ftp-
data
> : (port
> : > : > 20) and tried it to no avail.  I am using a Ugate 3200 Cable
> : Sharing
> : > : > gateway.  Same symptoms, if I ftp in, I can log in and all
that,
> : but
> : > : as
> : > : > soon as I type ls -la or just ls, it just sits and hangs.
BUT I
> : can
> : > : > ftp locally no problem at all.  I don't know what to try
next.  I
> : > : can't
> : > : > imagine its something really arcane.
> : > : >
> : > : > Ryan
> : > : > In article <8uhda8$b6m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> : > : >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : > : > > Ok, got no responses...But fixed it anyway.
> : > : > > Here is the deal. Not only do you need to allow ftp through
> : > : > > your firewall, you need to allow ftp-data
> : > : > > This is on the linux side in firewall scrip..
> : > : > > Funny that ws-ftp worked either way and dos or browser ftp
> : > : > > didn't work without ftp-data available. Also quote pasv did
not
> : > : > > make a difference.
> : > : > >
> : > : > > While I am at it, I tried wu-ftpd, ncftpd and proftpd.
> : > : > > wu-ftpd it ok, works through inetd too.
> : > : > > ncftpd is very flexible. Fills in things wu-ftpd is missing.
> : Even
> : > : > > though it is commercial, you get a free 3 user license.
> : > : > > As for proftpd, what was looking like an excellent ftp
server
> : > : > > ended up being by far the worst. It is bug ridden, no doubt.
> : > : > > Plenty of buffer over flows, even in latest versions. Now
even
> : > : > > if you think it is the greatest thing and say oh I don't
have
> : > : problems
> : > : > > think again. Things are there that allow someone to shut it
down
> : > : > > just by typing a few letters in while logged in.
> : > : > > It also looks like it has been idle since about July, maybe
no
> : one
> : > : > > is working on it anymore??
> : >
> : > : I'm having the same problem with RedHat 6.2 the Ugate 3000
Gateway.
> : I
> : > : too have opened port 21 and 21. But what I see is that the PASV
> : tries
> : > : to open ports 1024:65535.
> : >
> : > You meant port 20 and 21. Yes, active ftp uses those ports.
Passive
> : ftp
> : > uses unprivleged ports above 1024. Some ftp clients can switch
modes
> : > using the "passive" command, some can't. (the windos one can't for
> : sure)
> : > Firewalling for both active and passive ftp can be tricky. If you
> : would
> : > like a sample of my ipchains firewall script that allows both,
email
> : me,
> : > and don't forget that spam sux.
> : >
> :
> : Yes, I meant ports 20 and 21. I would be interested in your ipchains
> : firewall  script.
> :
> : BTW, I'm using WS-FTP pro on windos and based on the information in
> : your post, I have turned off "Passive Transfers". My FTP now comes
> : closer to working, but what now occurs is that WS-FTP issues a "PORT
> : 192,168,0,12,14,223" command which gets a response of "500 Illegal
PORT
> : Command ! Failed port". I haven't used command mode FTP in years,
So I
> : don't recall what the PORT command is doing. My firewall is
providing
> : NAT and my internal network is a 192.168.0.nnn network.
> :
> : Thes sad thing is that I have a Windows 2000 server as well as my
Linux

From: Rex Dieter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux VS Redhat 7
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:45:02 -0600

==============47B62F93EF32F83EEDBE59F5

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> William Pelish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I wish to know if anyone here has used Corel Linux Deluxe and if you have
> > found any bugs. Also if you have also tried RH 7 and found any difference
> > between the too. I am trying to decide which one to use for a server for my
> > webhosting.
>
> Don't use Redhat 7: stick with 6.2.

V7 really is much better than the 6.x series.  I doubt that I'll be able
to convince you, but I hope others don't base their opinions on your
rant.

>Version 7.0 may well be the worst Redhat release
> ever! It's got quite a lot of bugs,

Do you have any evidence of this?

>ships with an unstable compiler unable to
> build the LInux kernel, and so on.

For fact to refute this mis-information, see:
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/gotchas/7.0/gotchas-7-6.html#ss6.1

--
Rex A. Dieter                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/

begin:vcard
n:Dieter;Rex
tel;fax:402-472-8466
tel;work:402-472-9747
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
org:University of Nebraska Lincoln;Mathematics and Statistics
adr:;;817 Oldfather Hall;Lincoln;NE;68588-0323;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Computer System Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Rex Dieter
end:vcard

From: Rex Dieter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where the heck is kerneld in RH6.2 ?
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:47:32 -0600

==============CF8DA64A4A883F14F879B5AE

Fabrice Colin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just upgraded from RH6.0 to RH6.2 and to my dismay, kerneld
> has disappeared.

I believe kernel module loads are now handled in a kernel thread, ie,
kerneld is no longer explicitly needed.

From: "Patrick Amirian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE/Harddisk expert needed!!!
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:50:40 -0500

well actually I'm getting the same error with my Seagate 30 GIG HD.
I sent an email to the newsgroup search by name and take a look at the
answers.

If possible, please let me know if you have any real answers.
Thank you very much in advance.
best regards,
-Patrick

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:50:28 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Nothing's going on. It's what's supposed to happen. You are the
>> owner of the console bound devices when you log on at console aren't
>> you. Say "thanks!" to redhat.

> Who says it is supposed to happen ? Red-shitforbrains-hat ?
> Looks like that #$%*# init that Redhat uses, guess they never
> counted on multi-user logins on the console.

I don't like it either, but then I don't run redhat because I don't
like having things rammed down my throat. This person does run redhat,
presumably because he does like that kind of thing being done to him. So
yes, it IS supposed to happen.

> Well I say "FOAD" to Redhat. Does SuSE do the same thing ? I'm
> pretty sure Slackware doesn't.

I recall having to touch up debian a bit to give the person at the X console
the ownership of various "personal" devices, like floppy, audio and so on.
Presumably redhat does the same kind of interception, but at a generic
login using pam. I wouldn't know .. I remove pam whenever I see it. I don't
like single points of failure.

In my opinion, the proper thing to do is to give ownership of the contentious
devices to special groups (floppy, audio, ...) and add the people who want to
use those devices to those groups.

That's probably what slackware does do, actually, ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: unchangable file! [OTHER]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:29:27 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:28:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> your filesystem.  If the chattr -i thing mentioned by other posters
> fails to get rid of these things, umount the partition and e2fsck -f it.
> If that doesn't turn up a bunch of errors, read the man page for debugfs
> about 3 times, then run debugfs on the partition, then e2fsck it again.

And the fourth time you reread the manpage, note the syntax for
referring to inodes by number is (for example)

     clri <1234>

and the angle brackets really are angle brackets. Sigh.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: passwd protect runlevel 1
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:32:47 +0100

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yes, I am trying to disallow logins as root under almost all
>> circumstances. Use sudo. It leaves a nice audit trail in my (offsystem)
>> logs.

> I like this setup, and was trying to get something going like this, but
> I fail in the attempt.
> Could I have a look at your inittab?

The relevant bits will be

inittab:
  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
  2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
  3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
  4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
  5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
  # ptb 15/5/00 puts up tty6 only in single user mode, for root login
  6:12:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

securetty:
  # ptb 15/5/00 removes all except tty6
  tty6