Linux-Misc Digest #446, Volume #19               Sun, 14 Mar 99 10:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: MAKE command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Need advice re: upgrading to SUSE 6.0 from RH5.1 ("joe lerch")
  Telnet wait & wait & wait &.... (Al Roeder)
  Re: fighting with X (jik-)
  framebuffer (jik-)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Arthur)
  Re: Slackware on a second HDD (Cooper)
  Apache and scripts (Patrick Zonneveld)
  Re: binary Emacs 20.x for i386? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Pentium optimized Fourier Transform (William Park)
  How to "Russify" Netscape 4? (Ilya)
  Re: Running fdisk under Linux after Partition Magic? (Seth Van Oort)
  Re: Downloading at half the speed under Linux vs NT (David Ashley)
  Re: General Linux Question (Ben Bos)
  Re: Slackware on a second HDD (Allen Ashley)
  pppd as root only ! (Len Cuff)
  Re: AWE64 (Wildman, the Cuberstalker)
  Help me, Linux is dying on me!! ("Karl Bengtsson")
  Re: Enlightment/libpng problems ("Glenn Randers-Pehrson")
  Re: Encyclopedia Brittanica (Gerald Willmann)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MAKE command
Date: 13 Mar 1999 15:47:33 GMT

In his obvious haste, angel13 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Hi
:       Sorry I am very new to Linux and I have a problem installing
: software. I am using RedHat 5.2 and when I try to install software it
: require the use of MAKE command. But when I try to execute MAKE it
: give a invaild command. What should I do or is there another command I
: can use? Please forgive me and refer me to the right newsgroup if I am
: in the wrong one.

Linux is case dependent.
MAKE is an invalid command.
make on the other hand, works fine...
(Or should)
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|      Finalist in:-       | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "joe lerch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need advice re: upgrading to SUSE 6.0 from RH5.1
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 05:25:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:09:07 -0500, Judy/Bob Dilworth wrote:

>All:
>
>I'm planning on upgrading to SUSE 6.0 from Red Hat 5.1 and I'd like to
>know if anyone who has done this has any caveats they'd care to pass
>along.  Moreover, can an upgrade be done or does one need to do a
>re-intall from scratch?  Any experiences, good or bad would be greatly
>appreciated.

As a newbie, I recommend you start from scratch. I also recommend that
you choose to install wvdial to access the internet. Once installed by
SuSE
you edit three lines in /etc/wvdial.conf (phone number-name-password)
and
type in wvdial and you are quickly connected to the local isp.

The only real gottch was SaX defaulted to German, so I had to select
English from the language selection menu ( button on top right of
menu bar)

good luck,

joe
joe

(please remove "nospam" from email address)

------------------------------

From: Al Roeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnet wait & wait & wait &....
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:28:05 GMT

Ok, when I telnet to my Linux box from my Wintendo 95 machine, it claims

it connects, but then waits for about 3 or 4 minutes.  The tcpd.conf man

page claims that this is because of RFC 931 lookups, which are
compile-time arguements.

The question is, is there any easy way to disable this, and if I have to

recompile, exactly what needs to be recompiled (tcpd, I assume).

    -Al Roeder

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:54:49 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fighting with X

use xf86config

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:06:49 -0800
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: framebuffer

I would still like to know how to get the ATI framebuffer driver to run
at 800x600x16 which my card is fully capable of doing, and how to get it
booted into the right modes (instead of using fbset to fix it later).
Shouldn't I be able to pass some sort of command line to the kernel?  I
tried using the vesa fb driver and it works fine,...I can get the
800x600x16 mode from it, but the scan rate hurts my eyes, I know I can
do better but fbset doesn't help on that one.  Switching the VESA mode
with the ATI driver gets ignored....trying to switch to 16 bpp gets
invalid parameter, switching to 800x600 and it says not enough
memory,...thats with fbset.

I can't find anything in the docs about this except what I have already
tried, which is vesa modes and fbset.

Also, were is the kernel crew suggestion box?  I think that since the
logo is only in the corner, and the rest of the top is left blank, there
should be some sort of message in the blank area, like "Booting, please
wait.." in some sort of painted writing....

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:28:46 -0800

Lawrence Sayre wrote:

> Jerry Lynn Kreps wrote:

> > Richard wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >  >I am trying to install the newest and the best linux on
> >  >100+ workstation.  What would be the best one to choose
> >  >in terms of standard, support, and setup?

> >  >Any ideas would be appreciated.

> >  >email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >  >Thanks in advance
> >  >Richard

> > If you are a Linux guru it doesn't matter.
> > If you are not, then I recommend SuSE 6.0.

> I switched from SuSE 5.3 to Mandrake 5.3 (which is actually RedHat 5.2
> with a bunch of the latest enhancements, and with KDE 1.1), and now I
> know that SuSE is far and away the best distribution.  Yast does things
> for the system which Glint could only dream of.  I'll be back with SuSE
> before long!

SuSE gets my vote too - it's easier to set up things like
NFS, NIS, and Samba if you need them (and with 100 machines
that seems likely).

HOWEVER - it seems to me if you're setting up 100 machines,
it would be worth spending $100 to $200 and buying a copy
of SuSE, RH, Caldera and Debian _with_ manuals, and test
each one and see which one you like best. The basic setup
on all of them is pretty much the same, and you can
play around and see which one you like. After you pick
one, you can legally use the same CD set to do all of the
installs, or buy spares from Cheapbytes for $1.99 if you
want them.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Slackware on a second HDD
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:45:13 -0100

Wael Sedky wrote:

> Hi,
>   How can I install slackware 3.6 on a second hard drive? I am familiar with
> linux. I have installed it about a dozen times before, but on one partition.
>
> I can't find my hard drive when I run "fdisk"
>
> I have win98 on a 2GB partition and 340MB partition on the first drive.
> The second drive is currently fat formatted (to be deleted) 1GB.
>
> when i run the boot and root disks. I noticed
>
> hda:  hda1  hda2  <hda5>
> hdc: [PTBL][621/64/63] hdc1
>
> Is this hdc my second drive?

hda: primary IDE, master
hdb: primary IDE, slave
hdc: secondary IDE, master
hdd: secondary IDE, slave
Check for yourself.

> I tried doing fdisk hdc, but i didn't get the fdisk program running. It
> looked like there were some partition table errors although the drive is OK
> with windows.

>From windows fdisk to the drive and remove the partition. Then try again.

Cooper
--
Linux: Proof of intelligent life on earth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Zonneveld)
Subject: Apache and scripts
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:45:28 GMT

Hi...

How can i run (perl) scripts in apache from another then the default
cgi-bin directorie. I've installed smb2www, but when ik run the script
from my browser i receive: You don't have permission to access
/samba/smb2www.pl on this server.

I've included the follwing in my httpd.conf:
ScriptAlias /samba/ "/usr/local/smb2www/cgi-bin/'
But i guess it's not enough.

Can someone please give me e hint.

Greetings, Patrick Zonneveld

Ps. the file rights on the scripts are oke.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.emacs
Subject: Re: binary Emacs 20.x for i386?
Date: 14 Mar 1999 13:35:36 +0100

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  > i've been using the emacs rpms from redhat since 4.1 came out.  i am
  > currently running emacs from the emacs-20.3-3 rpm.  i have never
  > experienced any trouble and i do use emacs *a lot* (text editor, gnus,
  > lisp driver, &c).  what problems have people had?

I don't remember exactly, but I think one problem was that the DOC
file was broken.

kai
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Park)
Subject: Re: Pentium optimized Fourier Transform
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 06:45:17 GMT

Johannes Nix ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I am searching for signal processing libraries for Linux, especially a
: pentium optimized signal processing library. I did find a number of
: BLAS / LINPACK implementations, one of this rudimentary Pentium
: optimized, but there seems to be no Fourier Transform or a convolution
: function. Tough I prefer well-tested Open Source Libreries, it could be
: a commercial library also.

: Any recommendations are welcome.

: Next week I am few at home; please mail me.
: --
: Johannes Nix

: --------------------------------------------------
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are many numerical softwares for Linux:
1. Stuffs that are found in www.gnu.org:
        Octave, R, (link to) Scilab, (link to) FFTW,
2. Collection of links:
        http://SAL.KachinaTech.COM/index.shtml
        http://net.indra.com/~sullivan/q10.html

William

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to "Russify" Netscape 4?
Crossposted-To:
soc.culture.russian,comp.unix.questions,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc
Date: 14 Mar 1999 04:57:38 +0800

How does one "Russify" a Netscape so that it does not display garbage when
reading a Russian-based site?

Netscape: 4.08/Export

OS: Linux 2.2.1

Same question about tin: version pre-1.4.

Thanks in advance.

Please modify the header to email.
Ilya

------------------------------

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running fdisk under Linux after Partition Magic?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:41:58 +0000

Is your logical cylinder endpoint bigger than your physical endpoint by
1024? This is what I have (the 10 bit cylinder number overflows). It
hasn't given me a problem yet.

Seth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Ashley)
Subject: Re: Downloading at half the speed under Linux vs NT
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 00:41:43 -0800

>>> As far as I know my  modem is using the same init string for both NT
>>> and Linux, whatever the default is. NT says I'm getting a line connect
>>> speed of 45300. Is there a way to check line connect speed in Linux?
>>> thanks
>>> mike

In the pppd command line make sure to have
asyncmap 0

Not having that caused me lots of trouble.
--
Email address munged to prevent spamming.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Bos)
Subject: Re: General Linux Question
Date: 14 Mar 1999 10:30:03 GMT

On 12 Mar 1999 20:20:54 GMT, brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 11 Mar 1999 02:09:33 GMT,
> DaFt010 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> When you have windows and you connect on the web, you can see webpages through
>> a web browser. In the browser you see pictures, animations and they can also
>> play sounds.
>> Wow, you're probably saying.
>> Well, once you install Linux, is this possible???
>
>Of course.
>
>> Is surfing the web (with pics and stuff) possible with Linux, (and no X Windows
>> installed) or will you only see the raw html coding.
>
>Why not install X?  It's not like it costs more.
>
>Your question is akin to "is there a web browser than runs on DOS7 that
>shows graphics".
>
>> Are there web browsers for Linux???
>
>Yes.
>
>> Would you have to install X Windows??
>
>If you want graphics, yes.
>
>If you don't want graphics, no.

Someone is working on a port of a DOS-based graphical web browser to
Linux.
Have a look at:
http://home.arachne.cz/linux/
Until this is finished, X is your only option.

Cheers,
Ben
--
ir. Berend Adam Bos
Corporate Computer Systems

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 14 Mar 1999 12:58:40 GMT

"Wael Sedky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I can't find my hard drive when I run "fdisk"

>when i run the boot and root disks. I noticed

>hda:  hda1  hda2  <hda5>
>hdc: [PTBL][621/64/63] hdc1

>Is this hdc my second drive?

>I tried doing fdisk hdc, but i didn't get the fdisk program running. It
>looked like there were some partition table errors although the drive is OK
>with windows.

Run fdisk as:

fdisk /dev/hda
fdisk /dev/hdb
fdisk /dev/hdc

and show us what the results of the p command are when you
are in fdisk.

------------------------------

From: Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppd as root only !
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:53:01 +0000

I have set up pppd and can connect to my ISP fine but only as root ! If
I try as a 'normal' user then I get a permission denied on pppd. I've
checked the settings and pppd is set as -rwsr-xr-- which looks correct.
If I set pppd to 777 just to try it, I still get an error saying that
only root can use it with a NAME ?

What am I doing wrong ? I would prefer not to have to use root for
everything.
Cheers,
        Len

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wildman, the Cuberstalker)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: AWE64
Date: 14 Mar 1999 13:25:58 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:03:05 +1100, A Nourai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>these are the steps ive taken to get my awe64 working.
>
>compiled kernel with correct options
>(ie done what the AWE64 mini howto says)
>
>used isapnp and commented out the right lines in /etc/isapnp.conf
>
>run /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf or whatever the command is (it worked)

Add these lines to isapnp.conf, right after (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620)):
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))

Adjust accordingly for addresses like 0x0630 or 0x0640.

--
The Wildman     ICQ# 32609427
Fight spam - http://www.spamfree.org

------------------------------

From: "Karl Bengtsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help me, Linux is dying on me!!
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:56:59 GMT

I'm having a lot of trouble with Linux (again...)

The problem: last night I changed the filesystem on my Windows D: partition
from FAT32 to FAT16 (using Partition It from Quarterdeck). The reason is
that I want to access my personal files, like documents and mp3s that are
stored on this partition, using Linux. It's about 600 megs. The C:
partition that Windows is installed on is still FAT32, mainly because I
have no info on this partition that I need to access from Linux, it's all
just programs.

Now when I start Linux it wont mount the file system. I get this message:

Partition Check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <hda5>
<technical specs for my FAT16 partition>
kernel panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 03:03

Before I changed the filesystem, it would report a linux partition on hda3
and boot from it. I've tried to use the bootdisk used to install Redhat,
and at the boot: prompt I typed:
"vmlinuz root:/dev/hda3"
but it doesn't work

I also think it's kinda odd that it reports five partitions , as I only
have 4:
Windows C: (FAT32)
Windows D: (FAT16/VFAT)
Linux Native
Linux Swap

Could someone PLEASE help me with this... what do I do? If I absolutely
have to, I could change the fs on D: back to FAT32, but I'd prefer not to.
Thanks in advance,

Karl

------------------------------

From: "Glenn Randers-Pehrson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Enlightment/libpng problems
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:57:29 GMT

In article <7cek20$adi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  kenneth allen keller jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm currently trying to install enlighment .15 onmy system and the
> install-all file works fine until I get to a check of the version of
> libpng.  It says that it needs a later version then 1.0.1, but on the same
> line says I have ver. 1.0.2 which came with the Enlightment package I
> downloaded...  So I downloaded libgnp 1.0.1 and have no idea how to
> install it.  Basically I need help, what can I do to get it to
> reconize 1.0.2?  Barring that what do I need to get it to reconize 1.0.1?

Libpng version 1.0.2 has a bug that shows up when an alpha channel is added
to an image.  Please use version 1.0.3 instead.  Libpng version 1.0.2a
is also OK, if that's what you really have.

--
Glenn Randers-Pehrson
PNG/MNG Development Group

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Encyclopedia Brittanica
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 06:57:00 -0800

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Has anyone managed to run the EB CD from Linux? I hear that it runs through
> >a modified Netscape browser, which leads me to believe that it should be
> >feasible to access the info on CD from within Linux.

this was discussed in this ng a while ago and I remeber someone claiming
you could use older versions of the EB CDrom under Linux. In any case you
can access it on the web (works just fine under linux). This might cost
something although I can access it w/o ever having paid for it (but maybe
our university here has).
                                        Gerald