Linux-Misc Digest #468, Volume #19               Mon, 15 Mar 99 17:13:07 EST

Contents:
  debian ftp install? (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Compuserve dialup from linux (Philipp Kull)
  Re: Celeron 300 MHz or PII 266 MHz ("Karl Bengtsson")
  Re: e2fsck non-contiguos message (Seth Van Oort)
  Re: More bad news for NT (NF Stevens)
  Re: strange characters (NF Stevens)
  change X virtual resolution on fly? (Seth Van Oort)
  SB16PnP-How? (eric malloy)
  Linux User Group Meeting - March 16, 1999 (William Kendrick)
  Re: JDK with Red Hat 5.2 ? (Hans Wolters)
  Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux (Hans Wolters)
  Re: KDE, Debian, and religion (Eoin)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Harry)
  Re: KDE, Debian, and religion (John Hasler)
  Re: debian ftp install? (John Hasler)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Harry)
  Re: pager instead of paperclip for windows maker? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mysterious bug (Nalin Dahyabhai)
  Re: Newbie Q: How to setup tcp and ppp ? ("White Giant")
  Re: About mount ?? (Jarkko Karhunen)
  Re: Linux Serial Comm Prob (Scott Lanning)
  Re: latex2html problems (TS Stahl)
  aps prints landscape (Wlmet)
  Re: Dumb question: Does kernel 2.2.x use kerneld? (Montressor)
  Re: HELP! D drive disappeared after installed RedHat5.2 (Michael Ng)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Aurelien Jarno)
  Re: VNC: server on LInux, viewer on NT - GREY screen problem ("Donald E. Stidwell")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefano Ghirlanda)
Subject: debian ftp install?
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:28:03 GMT

Hi,
I would like to install debian on a machine with ftp access (and a debian
mirror very close by). I am used to install redhat via ftp and I find it
good way. However, it seems from the docs I read that this option is not
available when installing debian, am I wrong?
Thanks for your help
Stefano

--
 Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
    Office: D554, Arrheniusv. 14, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

------------------------------

From: Philipp Kull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compuserve dialup from linux
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:31:46 GMT

Marc Dobson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this has been tackled here before but I can't actually
find any
> reference so I will ask my question.
>
> I have a compuserve account and use Windows 3.11 to access it and get
mail. I
> have also used it to surf the web.
> However the machine is dual boot and I wish to use Linux to connect to my
> compuserve account (and therefore to the internet), surf the web, use the
> newsgroups and even pick up my mail.
> Do people know if it is possible to make a ppp connection to compuserve
and what
> the details of this are (eg PAP or CHAP authentication, domain servers,
news
> server address etc...). Or is Compuserve like AOL which has a proprietry
protocol
> to connect to (as far as the ISP-HOWTO says).
>
> Any info, URLs etc on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Marc
> --
> Marc Dobson
> EP Division, CERN
> CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
>  ________________________________________________________________________
>  \                                                                    /
>  /     Marc Dobson                    email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     \
>  \                                                                    /

Dear Marc

I can't connect in PPP-mode to Compuserve, but I probably have some
Information for you.

I don't know if they have a Linux-Entry-Skript. I will ask them next week.

Dial-in-Number is 0842 111 092.
The Info-Line said that they use TERMINAL and the NAMESERVERS
149.174.211.5 149.174.213.5 .
The NEWSSERVER is called News.Compuserve.com and the POP3
Pop.Site1.csi.com.

That's all I know about.

Philipp

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Karl Bengtsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron 300 MHz or PII 266 MHz
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:37:22 GMT

I don't know much about CPUs, but I believe this to be true as well.
Because the bus multiplier is either always an even .5, like 3, 3.5, 4
If the bus is 100 mhz (fastest availible AFAIK) then that would mean either
300 mhz, 350 mhz, 400 mhz and so on.
If, on the other hand, the bus is 66 mhz and the multiplier is 4, then
you'd get a 266.
But as I said before, I'm not into CPUs that much.

/Karl

Walter Strong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i inlägg
<7cjauc$slc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: e2fsck non-contiguos message
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:38:43 +0000

This is not a problem. It's just a measure of fragmentation. You can
defrag with e2defrag.

Seth

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:18:57 GMT

Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Arthur Corliss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hell, I have it, and I support it <
>And you're not aware that the admin tools support remote admin?
>
>> I think you need to learn more about it yourself <
>Perhaps the problem is I know too much. If I knew less about
>NT, I wouldn't have picked you up on your factual errors.
>Clearly the GUI isn't loaded when no-one's logged on, because
>the GUI is Explorer and Explorer isn't loaded.

Explorer doesn't provide the code that displays that dialog
box with the finger pointing at a keyboard that flits about
the screen while noone is logged on. There's an awful lot
of graphics and window management libraries that have to
be loaded into memory (and into the swap file).

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: strange characters
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:19:02 GMT

"R.A. Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> guys, does any one knows how do I get rid of some strange characters that
>> appear on my Linux SuSE after I tried to read ("more") an exacutable file?

>       Simple.  Just type:  reset
>       You won't be able to see the letters as they will also be in
>       those wierd characters, but it will work if you don't misspell
>       it.

If the tty is in raw mode you may need to use ^J rather than
the return key.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: change X virtual resolution on fly?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:41:34 +0000

I know you can change the screen resolution with ctrl-alt-[+-], but this
doesn't change the desktop resolution. Can this also be done? Thanks.

Seth

------------------------------

From: eric malloy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: SB16PnP-How?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:57:30 GMT

How do I setup my Sound Blaster PnP 16.. i got this info about it out of
NT:

IRQ=5
DMA= 00
DMA= 00
I/O Range: 0220-022F
I/O Range: 0300-0301

Can someone tell me how to configure this.. when i compiled the 2.2.3
kernel i added PnP support and SB16 support

and if it helps i run slackware 3.6

Thanks
eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Kendrick)
Crossposted-To:
ucd.cs.grad,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club,ucd.cs.programming,ucd.cs.ugrad,ucd.cs.grad,ucd.ece.ieee,ucd.org.asme,ucd.org.swe
Subject: Linux User Group Meeting - March 16, 1999
Date: 15 Mar 1999 20:24:29 GMT

The Linux User Group of Davis (LUGOD) will hold its next meeting
this Tuesday, March 16, 1999, at 6:30pm.

The meeting will be held at Steve's Place Pizza, located at 314 F Street
in Davis (530-758-2800).  We have reserved the back room.

LUGOD is open to all members of the public (UC Davis students/faculity/staff,
and otherwise).  For more information about LUGOD, please visit our website:

  http://www.lugod.org/

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/                        http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Subject: Re: JDK with Red Hat 5.2 ?
Date: 15 Mar 1999 20:34:40 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:29:39 +0100, Gilles BRIARD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Where can I find a Java JDK for my Red Hat Linux 5.2 ?
>
>I tried to find one on www.sunsoft.com but I can't find it.
Hi Gilles,

You can find them on:

www.blackdown.org

They have links to nearby mirrors. You can find the 1.02 - 1.1.x and the pre
1.2 (Java2) there.

Regards Hans

--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: 15 Mar 1999 20:38:15 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:57:59 GMT, A.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all:

>alias sound sb
>parameters sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
>
>When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
>annoying hiss comming from the speakers.
>
>The card doesn't produce *any* hissing under NT.
>
>Any ideas? My distro is Debian 2.1 for what that matters...

Don't know if Debian has sndconfig but you might give it a try. It all
depends on what kind of card it is (Vibra, Soundpro-chip?). If it is a card
with the Soundpro chip you can look at the CMI HOWTO in my signature.

Are you using isapnptools?

Regards Hans

From:  (Eoin)
Subject: Re: KDE, Debian, and religion
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:58:15 GMT

        It sounds like Mr. Maze got you covered. If not, you could
possibly look for an rpm of Qt and use alien to get it to install
properly.

                        --Eoin

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:59:37 +0100, **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>My problem is simple: I want to install KDE 1.1 on top of Debian 2.1.
>
>Now, the Debian folks have some semi-religious problems with KDE.  KDE
>is deemed "sufficiently free" in itself, but it depends on Free QT, and
>QT is "not quite sufficiently free", something to do with "you can
>distribute it but not modify it".  And for some reason, this is a
>problem with QT but apparently not with a lot of other non-free packages
>in Debian's, er, non-free section.  So, anyway, they don't diastribute
>KDE.
>
>(Although they do have QT 1.40, sitting there in the non-free section...
>but I digress.)
>
>So, I got the KDE 1.1 .deb packages from KDE, and started to install
>them.  But... KDE 1.1 says it needs QT 1.42, and Debian's site only has
>1.40.  I went to www.troll.no for QT 1.42, but they don't have Linux
>packages, just pointers to the various distribution sites.
>
>So... I thought, I'd build my own QT 1.42 .deb package and become a
>Debian hero.  I got the QT source package from Troll... downloads
>beautifully.  Start to make it... needs g++.  No problem.  Off to the
>Debian site... got g++, libstdc++, libstdc++-dev.  Install the packages:
>aarrggghhhh.  Dependency deadlock.  g++ needs libstdc++-dev and
>libstdc++-dev needs g++.
>
>So, I'm stuck.  If anyone knows:
>- how to get g++ and libstdc++-dev to install on Debian
>or better still
>- how to install libqt 1.42 on Debian
>then I'd be most grateful.  In the meantime, I can imagine that Mr.
>Gates is not terribly worried about Linux taking over the world any time
>soon.
>
>--
>Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)
>
>Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
> http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

Addressable as Bullwinkle in the
commercial domain of mostlysunny

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:36:49 -0500

Mickael Ostensson wrote:

> Explorer is not the gui... it's merly an  [snip daft bit]
> It seems that you don't know as much as you would like to
> brag about.

What bragging is that?

I'm not getting into an argument into what constitutes a GUI -
if you want to believe the GUI==MFC or Win32, so be it. Bye,
bye, have a great life.

Harry

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:32:10 GMT

Nick Brown writes:
> Now, the Debian folks have some semi-religious problems with KDE.

Nothing religious at all.  Just copyright.

> QT is "not quite sufficiently free", something to do with "you can
> distribute it but not modify it".  And for some reason, this is a problem
> with QT but apparently not with a lot of other non-free packages in
> Debian's, er, non-free section.

Qt under the present license cannot go into main but can go into non-free.
Just like all the other non-free stuff.  As soon as Qt 2.0 comes out under
a free license (which looks likely real soon now) and someone chooses to
package it, Qt will go into main.

> Although they do have QT 1.40, sitting there in the non-free section...

Which is where it belongs, and where 1.42 would go should a Debian
developer feel moved to package it.  So far none has.  The absence of any
particular piece of freely-distributeable software from the Debian archives
generally means only that no developer has felt the need to put it there.

> So, anyway, they don't diastribute KDE.

Because of copyright problems, which it appears will be resolved soon.
When these problems are solved one of the Debian developers will almost
certainly package KDE.

> Off to the Debian site... got g++, libstdc++, libstdc++-dev.  Install the
> packages: aarrggghhhh.  Dependency deadlock.  g++ needs libstdc++-dev and
> libstdc++-dev needs g++.

Install them all at once, with a single dpkg command.  Put all the .deb's
in a directory and type

        dpkg -i *.deb

Or better yet, install apt and use apt-get.  Apt has no problems with
dependency loops and automatically fetches and installs everything that the
package you tell it to install depends on.

The best place for Debian questions is the debian-user mailing list.  Go to
www.debian.org to subscribe.

BTW, you might try taking a less hostile tone when asking for help.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: debian ftp install?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:36:13 GMT

Stefano Ghirlanda writes:
> I am used to install redhat via ftp and I find it good way. However, it
> seems from the docs I read that this option is not available when
> installing debian, am I wrong?

Yes.  Install the base system and choose the 'apt' method in dselect.  It
will install the selected packages via http or ftp from the archive.  The
first time you run dselect you should skip the 'Select' step and go to
'Install'.  This will install all the 'standard' packages.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:40:57 -0500

Norman Stevens wrote:

> Explorer doesn't provide the code that displays [snip]
> memory (and into the swap file).

Ditto previous reply - if you want to call NT's event handling
mechanism or the MFC calls that implement Windows etc the GUI,
fine. I call the GUI the Graphical User Interface - Explorer.
We differ.

Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: pager instead of paperclip for windows maker?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:08:34 GMT

There is no pager included with WindowMaker, and according to the FAQ, there
are no plans to do so.  Since WindowMaker is GNOME compliant though, you can
use the GNOME pager with it, this is what I'm doing.  Of course you hvae to
have GNOME installed with it.

From: Nalin Dahyabhai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mysterious bug
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:20:21 GMT

Gamma Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a C program that I compiled with GCC under Slackware Linux with
: version 5 of the C library.  When I try to run it, it says

: "maze: Can't open display:"

If the program requires X to operate, make sure your DISPLAY environment
variable contains something useful.  You probably want to set it to ":0"
if you're executing it locally.  Check the X(1) man page for more info.

Hope this helps,

Nalin

------------------------------

From: "White Giant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: How to setup tcp and ppp ?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:12:26 +0100

First I propose to read NET-3-HOWTO and PPP-HOWTO, which usally comes with
your distribution(if not, search the internet), they would answer many
further questions.

Swapnajit Mittra schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>    Hello,
>
>    My question is how to start a dial-up connection from
>    linux slackware. I am a complete newbie in the linux world,
>    so pl. tell me the exact steps to follow.
>
>    Specifically, I want to know,
>
>    1) How do I set up the primary and secondary DNS ?
I think you don't wont to set up your own DNS server. You would cause too
much trouble as linux newby. DNS system is really complicated and it
requires extensive study in order to be capable of using it.

I suppose what you want to know how to use your DNS-servers of your ISP:
Just make an entry as follows:
nameserver aaa.xxx.bbb.ccc

>    2) How do I setup the IP address of my machine ?
use ifconfig to set up your ip-address and route to make the proper route

man route
man ifconfig

>    3) How do I setup an alias of my machine name, i.e.,
>    how do I call my machine x.y.com as well as a.b.org ?

That's the task of your DNS-admin. Ask your ISP

------------------------------

From: Jarkko Karhunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About mount ??
Date: 15 Mar 1999 15:43:40 GMT

ASHUTOSH SHARMA(97D07026) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->HI
->  HOw can i mount   a  32 bit WIN95/WINNT type filesystem in linux.
->   mount -t vfat doesn't work.

It will work, but you have to have the vfat support compiled into
kernel, which has to be 2.0.34 or newer

JK
Official Observer of the RFA
Opinions expressed are purely personal,
ie. mine mine miiiinneeeeee!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linux Serial Comm Prob
Date: 15 Mar 1999 19:55:22 GMT

Eric Minor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This setup works just fine, with one exception.  It
: will not work immediately after I reboot the box.  I
: have to unplug my loopback connector, then plug it
: back in, in order to be able to read data off the
: port.  After I do that I can run the program over and
: over and it will behave as expected.  I confirmed with
: an oscilloscope that the write call is working and is
: sending out a byte, and hence that byte is arriving on
: pin #3.  So it is the read that is unable to
: recognize the arriving data (in the real program I
: first use 'ioctl' to see if any data is ready).

Did you also try opening with O_NONBLOCK? Then read will
return -1 if no data is ready, and you could while(read < 0)
till it drops through, then if you have to, make read blocking.
I'm just guessing, mind you. I seem to recall something about
if the DCD is asserted the port won't open, but maybe it was
that read will block till the DCD is reset...?

: Any ideas what is causing this problem?  Is there some
: function I can call to 'reset' the serial port.  Can I
: manually take control of the individual pins and cycle
: pin #8.  Thanks.

Yes, assuming the process has root privileges (I think it must
anyway to open ttyS0), you can first use ioperm() to allow you
to twiddle a specific io port (linux is at home, or I'd tell you
which address), then use outb() to write a zero or one to that
address. However, I don't know what is causing the problem, so
maybe it's not the correct solution. --Scott

------------------------------

From: TS Stahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: latex2html problems
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:36:56 -0600

You are missing a required update, or have updated beyond what the program knows
about.  I
can't say specifically, but your message print out is a classic software rev mismatch.
It just occured to me that the problem could be a simple path issue.  One part of the
program may not be able to find the support files it is looking for.

For all the help I gave in this post, I should have just shut up.  Sorry.

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wlmet)
Subject: aps prints landscape
Date: 15 Mar 1999 17:38:19 GMT

I installed aps, but the standard command

lpr  file.txt

prints in landscape.  How to fix this?

------------------------------

From: Montressor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Dumb question: Does kernel 2.2.x use kerneld?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:28:20 -0500

I think there's a package you can download with updated init stuff. You
should have no problem to remove the link though.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ng)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP! D drive disappeared after installed RedHat5.2
Date: 15 Mar 1999 20:31:37 GMT

At the time when you can use explore2fs, you are not running Linux, and
you have rebooted into Windows.  Therefore, security is kinda meaningless if
you can reboot the machine, or, even take out the disks (i.e. physical
access to the machine).   You need to encrypt the filesystem to avoid this.

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

MN

--
Michael
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]                           |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aurelien Jarno)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: 15 Mar 1999 16:56:41 GMT

Have anyone tried the GPL version of SuSE 6.0 or RedHat 5.2 ?
Are they different from official versions ?

Aurelien

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: VNC: server on LInux, viewer on NT - GREY screen problem
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:25:03 GMT

This seems to be an NT specific problem. I had the exact same symptoms
when I tried to view my Linux box from NT.  Viewing the same box from
Win95/98 worked perfectly.  I had setup my .vnc to display my KDE
desktop and under 95/98 everything came up fivers.  Under NT, grey
screen and cursor and nothing more.

I never did figure it out and gave up on using NT to view my Linux box.

Don