Linux-Misc Digest #468, Volume #27               Wed, 28 Mar 01 13:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: The death of MS Office? ("Robert Wiegand")
  Re: Turn on NumLock by default in future XFree86 ! ! ! ("Darrell Rudmann")
  Re: mem and swap problem (Gabor Takacs)
  KDE2, klock, xlock and NIS (Maik Hassel)
  Environment variables and cron job (Pjtg0707)
  [mke2fs] how to add a filesystem? (hamradio)
  Re: ssh to linux/unix from windows (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: Detecting Users using ssh to connect (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Trouble with mail and telnet - One direction only (John Thompson)
  Re: MGA400 + DRI in XFree 4 (Alex Fitterling)
  Re: Where do I direct possible bug reports in a linux kernel to? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: On-demand dialing (John Hasler)
  Re: Frustrating basic printer service problems! :*( (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: strange file metamorphose (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Where do I direct possible bug reports in a linux kernel to? (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Turn on NumLock by default in future XFree86 ! ! ! (Sean)
  Re: Environment variables and cron job (Michael Heiming)
  Re: chroot for ssh and ftp logins? ("The Spook")
  Re: Windows ME and Windows 98 and Linux comp. (Brian V. Smith)
  Re: Environment variables and cron job ("Trebor")
  Re: Turn on NumLock by default in future XFree86 ! ! !  - NOT! ("Chris Coyle")
  Re: MGA400 + DRI in XFree 4 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP errors with Kernel 2.4.2 (Bill Unruh)

From: "Robert Wiegand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The death of MS Office?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:07:43 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Steve Lamb"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:54:00 GMT, fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>nowhere there is there a "integrated desktop" thingie. Are you referring to SO
>>5.2??
>
>     Yes.

I don't know what you did differently in your install, but I have 5.2 and I
don't have "Integrated Desktop" under my "View" menu either.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Darrell Rudmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turn on NumLock by default in future XFree86 ! ! !
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:46:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Seven of Nine"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is truely amazing that the developers of XFree86 have not thought
> this through. In Windows, the NumLock is turned on and the LED is lit by
> default upon boot, which is the way it should be. In GNU/Linux, this

Yes, this is annoying.  As a Windows user trying to using Linux as a
primary desktop OS, at least a prompt during installation or an option in
a control panel would be nice.

I've never seen anyone use the number pad for anything other than entering
numbers. I realize some folks don't, but not the majority.

--Darrell

// Darrell Rudmann, [EMAIL PROTECTED] **note:
//      place the word "astro" in subject line
//      or e-mail will not be read

------------------------------

From: Gabor Takacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.misc,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,linux.support.commercial,redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: mem and swap problem
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:58:37 -0500

I read something about this on a linux.redhat newsgroup. Apparently some
portion of the RAM is used for something else (store a copy of BIOS I
think). Because of this, you don't have the entire 128M. I don't
remember the exact number.

------------------------------

From: Maik Hassel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE2, klock, xlock and NIS
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:58:06 +0100

Hi!

I'm using a SUSE 7.1 distribution. All non-local NIS-users are unable do
unlock their terminal after using xlock or klock. Local users can...
Thats pretty annoying, can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot....
  Maik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pjtg0707)
Subject: Environment variables and cron job
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:50:35 -0000

Hi all,

I have  a perl script that will retrieve all the stock data from one of
the online investment sources on the net and dump the data into
a file. So far the script works as designed from commandline. Now I'd
like to setup a cron job so the system automatically runs once a day to
get the data.

My question is this:

when I run the script from commandline, the $HOME contains the path
to my home directory; but if I run the script from a cron job while
I am not logged in, is the $HOME still defined?

Does Linux spawns a shell with all my environment variables before
running the perl script?

SHELL=/bin/sh
....  $HOME/perl/stock_tickers.pl

From: hamradio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [mke2fs] how to add a filesystem?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:45:21 +0200

Hi there,
I had some empty space on my hard drive so I decided to make a partition
for mounting it under /var/spool/news (I use to let my leafnode news
server to keeep a lot of usenet messages), so I made it with fdisk.
The problem is that I can't make an ext2 filesystem on it:

bash# mke2fs /dev/hda11
mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
/dev/hda11: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up
superblock
bash#

Mke2fs should 'automagically' detect the block number, as the man says,
but even if I try to specify it, this is the result:

bash# mke2fs /dev/hda11 1180746
mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
mke2fs: Filesystem larger than apparent filesystem size.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) n
bash#

At this question I answer no because I don't want to do something wrong
on my hard disk.
The block number is taken from the output of fdisk -l because I can't
figure out what is it otherwise:

bash# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1027 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       256   2056288+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda2   *       257       346    722925    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda3           493      1027   4297387+   5  Estesa
/dev/hda4           347       492   1172745   4f  QNX4.x 3rd part
/dev/hda6           640       640      8001   83  Linux
/dev/hda7           641       699    473886   83  Linux
/dev/hda8           700       710     88326   83  Linux
/dev/hda9           711       972   2104483+  83  Linux
/dev/hda10          973      1027    441756   83  Linux
/dev/hda11          493       639   1180746   83  Linux
bash#

I've tried to find the solution reading various HOWTOs and manpages, but
I found nothing.
Can anybody help me?
Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: ssh to linux/unix from windows
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:06:08 GMT

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:24:17 -0500, "ThanhVu Nguyen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hi,
>
>is there a freesource program that allows me to telnet or connect to a
>linux/unix machine and be able to run X on it ?   I know Hummingbird's
>Exceed can do it but its' a commercial program ?

Assuming that you want to get X-term access from a PC running Windoze,
to get the full X functionality on your desktop you need to run a full
featured  X-server under Windoze.  Xfree86 is probably not what you
want, as its essentially an X-server that runs under Linux and IIRC
has no Win incarnation. Both the the references deal with the full
desktop and graphical thing:

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html
http://www.netsarang.com

The first reference is a list of X-related URLs. The second
(Netsarang) isn't free but it is a relatively cheap eXceed workalike.
I haven't tried it yet, but its on my 'to do' list.

===================================

If you only need a text window, take a look at the following stuff:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

Putty (the first reference) is small and free. It will do the trick if
you just need text windows - it does not support a desktop or
graphical displays, but does have builtin support for ssh as well as
telnet protocols.

Of course, if all you need is telnet, you can't go wrong with TeraTerm
(second reference).

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:09:02 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Detecting Users using ssh to connect

Kendall Beaman wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Hopefully this is a simple quick question.

Yes, type

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with mail and telnet - One direction only
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:49:41 -0600

"William T. Trotter" wrote:

> Running RedHat Wolverine on my Linux box.
> I can send mail and I can telnet out.  But
> I can't send mail to the machine nor can
> I telnet into it.
>
> Curious enough I can ping it from the outside,
> so I know that the dns sees it.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Are you using tcp_wrappers and xinetd?  Make sure you have
configured these to accept connections from your remote
machine(s).

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Alex Fitterling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MGA400 + DRI in XFree 4
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:14:37 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]

thank you...

--
A. Fitterling / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:19:40 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where do I direct possible bug reports in a linux kernel to?

green wrote:

> Where do I direct possible bug reports in a linux kernel to?
>
> I just compiled 2.4.0
>
> it loads ok unless i specify my ht chipset options that work in the 2.2
> series
>
> it i use
>
> lilo: k4 ide0=ht6560b
>
> is produces :

> uncompressing linux .....
>
> warm reboot. ie no memory count check.
>
> any ideas?

No, but did you read the famous Documentation/Changes file, that comes
with every kernel tarball and updated your system?

Before you post (fa.linux.kernel) a possible bug report, always try the latest
stable version,
from kernel.org/mirrors and be really sure that it's not a problem of your setup.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: On-demand dialing
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:00:22 GMT

Lew Pitcher Writes:
> Neither diald nor it's predecessor /sbin/request-route facility are
> 'obsolete'; both still work and can be used to satisfy the requirement of
> 'demand connect'.

I don't think that current kernels support request-route (which was always
a little iffy).  Diald still works fine.

> However, the recommended approach is the demand-dial options within pppd,
> which (IIRC) invoke diald under the covers.

You don't RC.  Pppd's demand-dial option does not invoke or depend on diald
in any way.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

alt.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Frustrating basic printer service problems! :*(
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:26:43 GMT

"Gregg Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One other thing.  I have the line in the /etc/printcap file for specifying
> the standard err log (:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\), but why isn't this error
> with LPR showing up there?

Does that file actually exists? syslog won't create it for you.

Vilmos

------------------------------

Subject: Re: strange file metamorphose
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:28:40 GMT

pirxmcci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Normal files or directories switch to charakter or block devices without
> any reason. Moreover I am (root) not allowed to remove this devices.
> They look like that:
>
> drwx------   2 jesko    users        4096 Dez  2  1999 ktimeclock
> drwx------   2 jesko    users        4096 Dez  9  1999 kwebwatch
> br-sr-xrwt   1 1536     29810     10,   0 Sep 18  2028 kwm   <------?????
>
> What's that?
>
> The only way to remove this files is debugfs, and this is the most dirtiest
> way. The first thought I had was, the disk is defective. I download a disk
> checker from seagate but everything is fine. That is very strange to me but
>
> WHAT IS IT??

Did you check cables and connectors? Are they properly seated? It includes
also the power cable. It can do miracles. ;-) Anyways, I wouldn't trust
that disk. I also had similar problems with a Quantum disk before.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:30:08 GMT

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Where do I direct possible bug reports in a linux kernel to?
>
> I just compiled 2.4.0

First use the latest kernel with the latest updates. It sounds something
like 2.4.2-pre8 or 2.4.2-ac26. The first one is the one handled by Linus,
and the second one are the Alan Cox patches.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:33:46 +0100

Under KDE2, the scrolling facility on my intellimouse won't work if
num-lock is on. (took me ages to suss that one out) Unfortunately it
comes on by default on my system.

NEdit doesn't like num-lock being on either!

Sean

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:38:56 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Environment variables and cron job

Pjtg0707 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have  a perl script that will retrieve all the stock data from one of
> the online investment sources on the net and dump the data into
> a file. So far the script works as designed from commandline. Now I'd
> like to setup a cron job so the system automatically runs once a day to
> get the data.
>
> My question is this:
>
> when I run the script from commandline, the $HOME contains the path
> to my home directory; but if I run the script from a cron job while
> I am not logged in, is the $HOME still defined?
>
> Does Linux spawns a shell with all my environment variables before
> running the perl script?

You could setup a script which contains one line like:

#!/bin/sh
env > /tmp/bogus.env.test

Run it from cron as this user or/and from his crontab and see the result,
then you will know what's available to you and what you have to set in your
script.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: chroot for ssh and ftp logins?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:40:52 +0200

Brian Lee wrote ...
>Hi,
>
>I want to add many users on my RH Linux box. I want to set chroot for
>all the users. I mean that the user's can't cd up to the top directory
>which I set. I want to set it in both ssh and ftp.
-- Cut --

It is normally not the right way to do this for login shells at least, as
these users would not have access to all the system files and programs,
unless these files and programs were copied to each chroot "jail". If you do
insist, have a look at the chroot command.

Although I do not know of any specific FTP server that does this, I'm sure
there are some of them out there. The stock FTP on my Red Hat 6.2 system has
a -r option that confines the FTP server to a chroot "jail" (this is not
what you asked for, I know).

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian V. Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.windows-me,alt.windows98,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.windows
Subject: Re: Windows ME and Windows 98 and Linux comp.
Date: 28 Mar 2001 17:31:54 GMT

In article <vHmw6.1781$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
|> Well, with all  the holes that Linux has I would definitely stay away from
|> it. It seems to be a virus's playground. ME isn't nearly as full of security
|> holes.
|> ME isn't buggy, it's the type of people who can't seem to read installation
|> notes.

Oh, right.  What a load of crap.

Brian V. Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www-epb.lbl.gov/BVSmith
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.
Check out the xfig site at http://www-epb.lbl.gov/xfig

 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
 glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is too small
 for a decent safety factor.

------------------------------

From: "Trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:02:20 -0500

Hi,

$HOME is not defined because cron doesn't read your .profile (or .cshrc,
.bashrc, etc.) - and here's why: cron spawns your perl script as its own
process. That is to say, cron doesn't launch a shell and then have that
shell launch your perl script as a child process. Since those startup files
(.profile, etc.) are only read by logins and shells, not individual
processes. So, when perl is spawned, it doesn't benefit from any exported
variables from a parent shell process.

The workaround is to create an encapsulating shell script that performs two
tasks:

  1. source your .profile or .cshrc (or some other file)
  2. launch your perl script

Then, in cron, replace the call to the perl script with a call to your
encapsulating shell script.

For example, consider this encapsulating shell script:

   #!/bin/sh
   . /home/yourNameHere/.profile
   $HOME/bin/yourPerlScript

Alternatively, you could explicitly set the environment variables your
script requires (rather than source .profile). For example:

   #!/bin/sh
   HOME=/home/yourNameHere
   export HOME
   $HOME/bin/yourPerlScript

(the advantage here is you have control over exactly which variables are
exported to the perl script, and you can define additional variables that
aren't normally set in .profile)

Then, in cron, replace the call to the perl script with a call to your
encapsulating shell script.

Hope this helps,
-Bob
 Andover, MA

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turn on NumLock by default in future XFree86 ! ! !  - NOT!
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:00:42 -0500

"Seven of Nine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It is truely amazing that the developers of XFree86 have not thought
> this through.
> In Windows, the NumLock is turned on and the LED is lit by default upon
> boot, which is the way it should be.
> In GNU/Linux, this obvious concept has not be understood.  You can do a
> search regarding NumLock activation and get pages and pages of posts,
> which is a embarrasment and a disappointment.  The fact that there have
> been an avalanche of posts, numerous web pages, and ton's of FAQ's
> regarding activation of NumLock in X, is a clear indication that an
> obvious issue has been overlooked.  NumLock should be turn on and
> activated by *default* upon boot, just as seen in Windows.
>
> p.s.
> CapsLock & ScrollLock should not turn on by default, and currently, they
> are not.

1. Kindly refrain from presenting your opinions as gospel.
2. I don't give a damn what windows does.
3. I hope XFree86 does not change this.  I like my numlock off,
thank you very much.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:00:22 GMT

Alex Fitterling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]

> thank you...

Did you ever get it working?  XFree86 4.0.3 solved all the remaining
issues I had with my matrox card (namely, distortion around the edge
of the secondary display).

Adam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP errors with Kernel 2.4.2
Date: 28 Mar 2001 18:07:51 GMT

In <dGdw6.472024$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mikev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

]I get my pppoe working with kernel 2.2.16 however when I compiled a new
]kernel (2.4.2) and tried i got the following error  ioctl(PPPIOCGFLAGS):
]Invalid arguement

You need pppd 2.4.1 for the new kernels.