Linux-Misc Digest #495, Volume #19               Wed, 17 Mar 99 23:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: EZPPP and FVWM2 (repost) (John Thompson)
  Re: EZPPP and FVWM2 (repost) ("John E. Garrott")
  Re: Linux and Y2K (Ian Hay)
  Re: why does fetchmail insist sender domain exist??? (Michael Fleming)
  upgrade to 2.0.36 kernel ("Geoff Manns")
  Re: Re: OS spec's and limits (Robert Heller)
  linux sound recording sw (Darrin Hodges)
  Re: 10G disk and fdisk/diskdruid problems ("Charles Sullivan")
  Where can I get origianl AT&T lex & yacc source? ("ÀÓµ¿¹®")
  How do you add up decimals under bash? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  sendmail/pop3 vs. router ("Knut Nilsen")
  Re: How many $$$ does Linux save? (Timothy J. Lee)
  Re: Installing Slackware to DOS Partition (fernando)
  CD music....HELP! (Eric Price)
  Linux/Apache performance question (Greg Burrell)
  Re: Freecell (John Girash)
  Re: How many $$$ does Linux save? (Tom Evans)
  Redhat 5.2 with SCSI install problems.... ("Steven J. Hill")
  Re: Telnet question ("John Wolanski")
  Re: sshd[7194]: refused connect from unknown (Abe Lin)
  Re: BRU Back Up Software (Alan Fried)
  Re: Linux spreadsheets Excel compatible (Mircea)
  Re: KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment? (Chris Menzel)
  Re: CD music....HELP! (brian moore)
  Linux, Old Hardware, & Y2K ("Eric Peterson")
  Re: Site Critque, Please (Sammi)
  Re: RasMol not working!? (Joe Smith)
  Gdb debugger on redhat5.2 ("Brent A")

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EZPPP and FVWM2 (repost)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:01:44 -0600

Chris Yunker wrote:

> When I invoke EZPPP, the windows appears, but it's without any border
> and it can't be moved. The instructions w/ EZPPP mentioned something
> like this problem, and as a solution, it said to add the command
> 'DecorateTransient' to my .fvwm2 file. I did this and it didn't help.

I was never able to get the "DecorateTransients" directive
to work as advertised with EzPPP.  I finally managed to
work-around the issue when I discovered that the fvwm2
"Window Operations" menu (I think that's what it was called,
anyway; middle mouse button on the desktop background IIRC)
has a "Move" option that allows you to grab the EzPPP window
and drag it off somewhere more to your liking.  There's also
an "Unstick" option that keeps the EzPPP window from
appearing in all your desktops.

But for the last several months I've been using "xfce"
instead of fvwm2.  Xfce *does* decorate the EzPPP window
with a proper title bar so all of the above nonsense is no
longer necessary.  Check out http://www.xfce.org if you're
interested.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "John E. Garrott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:22:06 -0800

Chris Yunker wrote:

> I posted this before, but it seems to have dissappeared.
>
> I'm having trouble w/ EZPPP and my window manager, FVWM2.
>
> When I invoke EZPPP, the windows appears, but it's without any border
> and it can't be moved. The instructions w/ EZPPP mentioned something
> like this problem, and as a solution, it said to add the command
> 'DecorateTransient' to my .fvwm2 file. I did this and it didn't help.
>
> Any help on this is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I use ezppp without any problems under fvwm2 (2.0.46) or fvwm95
(2.0.43b).

The appropriate entry in .fvwm2rc is

# default Styles:
Style "*"           BorderWidth 7, HandleWidth 7
Style "*"           Icon unknown1.xpm, Color lightgrey/dimgrey
Style "*"           MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, HintOverride
Style "*"           DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style "*"           IconBox 0 -10 -280 -1
Style "*"           FocusFollowsMouse
Style "*"           RandomPlacement, SmartPlacement

The .fvwm95rc file has no such entry.

Hope this helps,

John

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Y2K
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:32:18 GMT

Doug Lerner wrote:

> Now that it is March, 1999 I figure I might as well get around to
> asking. Are the years in Linux 4 digits, or are my server programs which
> support Y2K going to get messed up next year?
>
> Is there a FAQ about this somewhere?

You HAVE to be kidding me.  Tell me - when you tried entering "y2k and
linux" into any one of the dozens of search engines on the net, was it
the sheer prospect of choosing one or two out of the THOUSANDS of pages
that came up that forced you to post your question here?

I.
Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
Linuxing about since June 21, 1998 <Redhat 5.1 - 2.0.35>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Fleming)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: why does fetchmail insist sender domain exist???
Date: 17 Mar 1999 07:31:31 GMT

I'm glad Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said this and not me..
> "Joseph A. Philbrook III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > So far this is the 2nd time I've had something in my pop3 mailbox that
> > prevented fetchmail from retrieving my mail from the isp...
> >
> > This is what happened when I tried to recieve my mail a few minutes ago.
> >
> > /home/jtwdyp
> > > fetchmail -a
> > 2 messages for jtwdyp at pop3.ttlc.net (6338 bytes).
> > reading message 1 of 2 (1464 bytes) fetchmail: SMTP error: 501
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Sender domain must exist
> > fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 <jtwdyp>... Domain name required
> > fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop3.ttlc.net
> > /home/jtwdyp
> > >

> > I'm faily certain it's fetchmail on my linux thats complaining because I
> > can retrieve the message with "Uncle Dave's dos reader <nettamer>...
>
> are you sure it's not *sendmail*[1] that is complaining?

I'd be almost certain of it, judging by the output.

Probably running 8.9.x to boot.

> afaik fetchmail just gets the mails and blindly crams them down your
> smtp port letting your MTA handle the mailbox locking and formats
> stuff.

In a nutshell you are correct..

> if your MTA gags, fetchmail will get an error back.  configure your
> MTA to forgo the name lookup or at least keep quiet about the invalid
> domain names.

Suggestion: Add:

FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)dnl

to my_site_name.mc and rebuild your sendmail.cf file.

> this is just a wild guess.  nevertheless, i hope this helps.

It was a very good guess indeed!

Michael Fleming.
(Used to use sendmail 8.9.x, now qmail.)

- --
Michael Fleming -=(UDIC)=- Despam the Planet
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/ | PGP: OEF8E582
Bill Gates isn't the Devil - Satan made sure Hell worked
before he opened it to the damned...

------------------------------

From: "Geoff Manns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: upgrade to 2.0.36 kernel
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:21:23 -0500

I'm trying to upgrade my kernel from 1.x.x to 2.0.36 but run into problems
when compiling the kernel.  I upgraded my gcc to version 2.7.2.3 and
binutils 2.8.1.  When compiling the kernel I receive a message saying
'illegal option k for objdump'.  I believe the objdump file is part of the
binutils package.  Do I need to upgrade to binutil 2.9 to get around this?
TIA...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Re: OS spec's and limits
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Heller)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 21:36:11 -0500

  "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:00:52 -0800, wrote :

"E> > 4. What is the max file size tar can handle
"E>
"E> I'm not aware of any limit but I may be wrong.
"E>

>From /usr/include/tar.h on my Slackware 3.0 system:

/* The fields of header blocks:
   All strings are stored as ISO 646 (approximately ASCII) strings.

   Fields are numeric unless otherwise noted below; numbers are ISO 646
   representations of octal numbers, with leading zeros as needed.

   Field Name   Byte Offset     Length in Bytes Field Type

   size         124             12

So, 8^12 bytes:

>From bc:

8^12
68719476736
68719476736/(1024*1024)
65536

The answer is: 64gig. if all 12 bytes are used, if one insists on a
leading zero then:

8^11
8589934592
8589934592/(1024*1024)
8192

Then 8 gig.

I am not sure from the docs which is true.  I just created a tar file
(GNU tar version 1.11.2), and there was no leading zero or NUL byte in
the size field, so I guess 64gig would be the limit with tar (assuming
that tar was dealing with a file system that could deal with such a
large file (eg ext2 can't, but Digital UNIX 4.0 (on an Alpha) w/advfs
might be able to).

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Darrin Hodges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux sound recording sw
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:59:22 +1100

Hi

Does anybody know any good sound recording software for linux? Im thinking of
converting all

my LP`s to MP3

TIA

--
Darrin Hodges
QM Industries

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 10G disk and fdisk/diskdruid problems
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:27:27 -0500

The answer if your friend is running Redhat 5.2 is as follows: Use Linux
fdisk.  Go into the 'expert' menu and change the number of cylinders to
1300 or whatever the correct LBA value is for that drive.

Then upon return to the main menu, fdisk should allow partitioning up to
the max cylinder specified.  Then use Disk Druid to format the partitions
and set the mount points.

RH5.2 is shipped with kernel version 2.0.36 and fdisk version 2.8.  The
above should work for other distributions/versions, but of course your
mileage may vary.

Kernel version 2.2.x and fdisk version 2.9i have fixed the confusion with
large disks.

------------------------------

From: "ÀÓµ¿¹®" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I get origianl AT&T lex & yacc source?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:52:28 +0900

Hello every linuxers!

I am studying compiler these days...

Flex is so differ from origianl lex...

Where can I lex and lex library source ?

or can I get origianal AT&T lex for linux (x86)?

Every expert please... Answer to me..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do you add up decimals under bash?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:50:29 GMT

I am trying to add up decimals that are contained in a string. I know how to
do this for integers using expr eg >expr 1 + 3 + 5 9

How do I do this for floats ? eg
>expr 12.3 + 34.5 + 67.3 fails as
non numeric arguments

Can anybody help. Is there a command out there I can use from the shell prompt

Cheers Grant.

From: "Knut Nilsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: sendmail/pop3 vs. router
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:09:51 +0100

I have a linux box running as server on a LAN connected to the rest of the
world via an ISDN router, set up as the default gateway on the LAN. In order
to reduce the number of connections, the linux box uses fetchmail to get
mail from our ISP's mailserver every hour and distributes it to the LAN
users so that they can fetch it from the local linux server using their
favourite POP client (normally Outlook). Sendmail is set up to queue mail
and forward it to the ISP every hour...(hopefully)

My problem is  that whenever a local user fetches mail from the local POP
server, the router for some reason dials up the ISDN connection to the ISP.
This seems to happen even if I set the POP client (outlook) not to try to
send mail at the same time as it fetches mail (by changing the SMPT server
name in Outlook settings).

With a few users setting up their POP client to check for mail every 10
minutes, the line keeps going up and down all the time  -  which was what I
wanted to avoid with this setup.

Has anyone any idea why the POP server insists on firing up the router?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Subject: Re: How many $$$ does Linux save?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:06:53 GMT

"Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|I'm just trying to understand approximately how much I'd save using Linux
|compared to say Solaris. Does anyone know how much Solaris costs per
|license?

Commercial or non-commercial use?  Solaris is very cheap for
non-commercial use, but can be expensive if your use is not
allowed in the non-commercial license.  You may want to ask
Sun.

Linux, of course, is quite inexpensive, and a single CD set
gives you unlimited licenses.  Similar for the BSDs.

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Slackware to DOS Partition
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:14:54 +0500

download SlackZip from http://www.slackware.com

Koun Tsujimoto wrote:

> I bought a book on Linux a few years ago that came with Slackware Linux 1.1
> kernel on CD-ROM.  The book explains how to install it on an existing DOS
> partition without the danger of erasing any of the current data.  I have
> only one partition on my PC loaded with Windows 95.  Can I really install
> the linux into the partiton where Windows 95 resides?  Or, if I decide to
> remove the installation, can I do it and how?  Is there anyone out there who
> has done them?  If so, please give me your advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Koun

This are my personal opinions
Real email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: Eric Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: CD music....HELP!
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:47:51 -0500

Hello Folks!!!

I need someone's help.

My soundcard is working fine, I am running a P-166 /w Red Hat Linux 5.2
installed.

I have  OPL-SA3 intergrated sound card but can only configure it using
Sound Blaster drivers with the following configuration :

IRQ=5
DMA=1 (at least one of the DMAs)
IO=220

I can play wav files without a problems.....MIDIs too...

Only one problem : I cannot play ANY audio CDs....they play all
right...but no music comes out of my speakers... Anyone have ANY tips?

Thanks a whole bunch

Eric

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Burrell)
Subject: Linux/Apache performance question
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:58:43 GMT

Hi Everybody,

        I'm trying out a Linux/Apache combination as a web server.  Our
test model uses a lot of files (160,000) so we've tried both software and
hardware RAID at level 0.

The odd thing is that the Linux software RAID outperforms the hardware
RAID.  I suspect the megaraid driver just isn't very good.  There's plenty
of unused memory and CPU on the system, I don't know where the bottleneck
is. Perhaps I'm missing something?  (So far the only suggestion I've
recieved is to switch to FreeBSD but I'll stick with Linux for now.)

The system is a 1-CPU 450MHz HP box, 1GB RAM, and a NetRAID 3Si controller
with 6 10,000 RPM SCSI disks.  We've tried the 2.0.36 and 2.2.3 kernels as
well as the .92 and .96 megaraid drivers.  I also upped the max number of
files, inodes, and percentage of memory used for file system cache in /proc.
Apache has plenty of servers configured (MaxClients, MaxSpareServers,
StartServers, etc) and doesn't appear to be a problem here.

Thanks for any help, ideas, or pointers you all can give.

-Greg

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Freecell
Date: 17 Mar 1999 22:04:08 -0500

try xpat2; it's better than WinFreeCell.
jg

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life     Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."     the West

------------------------------

From: Tom Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Mar 1999 19:22:28 -0500

"Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm just trying to understand approximately how much I'd save using Linux
> compared to say Solaris. Does anyone know how much Solaris costs per
> license? Does anyone have any hard data on how much money setting up a Linux
> based system saves?
Call up sun 1-888-843-5282, press 2, press 2 again, you want solaris 7 for
the intel architecture, you need 7 licenses. By comparison, Cheapbytes
version of your favorite distribution is $7 shipped, unlimited licenses.
regards,
--
Tom Evans   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All disclaimers apply...

------------------------------

From: "Steven J. Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 with SCSI install problems....
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:28:02 -0600

I have been attempting to install both RedHat and Slackware Linux, but
unsuccessful. Below are the specs. for the machine:

Gateway G6-200 Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 256MB RAM
ATI 3D Rage II+, Mach 64 GT-B 4MB
Adaptec 2940UW with ver 1.23 BIOS
  -  Autotermination
  -  0:0  ST32155W Seagate Harddrive
  -  5:0  Matsushita CD-506 CDROM
  - 15:0  ST39173W Seagate Harddrive
  -  7:0  Adaptec SCSI Adapter

I boot the RedHat diskette with the following:

     boot: linux mem=256M expert

The initial boot sequence does not detect any SCSI hosts and then it
goes to the RedHat menus. I do an autoprobe for SCSI and the following
is displayed:

    scsi:  aborting command due to timeout:  pid 0, scsi0, channel0, id0, lun0
        0x00 00 00 00 00 00
    SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
    SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
    SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
    SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
    SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder

Trying the Slackware installation produces similar messages. Windows NT 4.0
is currently installed on the primary disk (this machine is actually at my
place of employment, but our IT support would have a heart attack knowing
that I am installing Linux). The only other thing I can think of is the
version of my SCSI BIOS. Any thoughts and help greatly appreciated. I have
already searched through DejaNews and the FAQs and have found nothing.

-Steve

------------------------------

From: "John Wolanski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet question
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:26:14 GMT

Telnet won't let you telent in as root in Linux.

To get to root, you'd have to telent in as a regular user and then switch
to root, once you're logged in, thusly:

su - root

--
--John Wolanski
Remove the "_removethis_" from my email address to reply.

Toolman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Abe Lin)
Subject: Re: sshd[7194]: refused connect from unknown
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:33:33 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:43:28 GMT, "K.A. Steensma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I would recommend that you try Tera Term Pro for your Windows system.  I had the
>same problem and tried Tera Term Pro / Teraterm Secure Shell extension (which is
>labeled as free software).  Start looking at:
>
>http://www.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
>
>Keith
Hi, Keith,
Thanks for the link. Installed it, and looks likes the same problem.

tons in /var/log/secure:
Mar 17 22:28:42 modemcable120 sshd[18199]: refused connect from
unknown
Mar 17 22:28:48 modemcable120 sshd[18201]: warning: can't get client
address: Transport endpoint is not connected

Looks like the client side is trying hard to get the initial
connection to server. Somehow server said the client
machine is unknown.

abe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried)
Subject: Re: BRU Back Up Software
Date: 18 Mar 1999 02:55:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shane Steven Sturrock) wrote:

>On 16 Mar 1999 23:40:35 GMT, Alan Fried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried) wrote:
>>
>>As I said earlier it worked but I can only access the drive if I boot
>>with the cartridge in the syjet and the drive on.
>>
>>If I boot without the syjet turned on, I am unable to mount the drive.
>>
>>Is there an explanation for this?
>
>Is it a SCSI drive?  My JAZ drive is and if I boot the machine with the drive
>off then the machine won't see the drive.  I can boot with the drive on but
>no cartridge in there and it complains about not being able to read the media
>but at least the drive is initialised and it mounts any disc I put in.
>
>If your drive is a parallel port one you may need to inmod the ppa module
>or whichever one actually runs your drive before it will be recognised.

Hi Shane

It's a SCSI drive. So the drive has to be on. I haven't tried that option
but I will let you know.

Thanx for your great help

Alan

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux spreadsheets Excel compatible
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:24:54 -0500

StarOffice 5.0 (www.stardivision.com)

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Menzel)
Subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 21:19:22 -0600

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:34:12 -0600, John M. Janney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> I just read the article linked from Caldera's web site about why KDE
> is a better choice.
>
> It stated that GNOME crashed quite often (very unstable) and not to
> use it unless you were a developer or enthusiast.
>
> Although I am somewhat of a Linux enthusiast, I want to "use" my Linux
> machine....

yeah, but as always, mileage varies.  I'm using Gnome 1.0 with
enlightenment on two machines, one running the 2.0.36 kernel the other
2.2.3.  Both installed easily.  I've had one X server crash in several
weeks of heavy use.

-cm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: CD music....HELP!
Date: 18 Mar 1999 03:39:34 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:47:51 -0500,
 Eric Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Folks!!!
>
> I need someone's help.
>
> My soundcard is working fine, I am running a P-166 /w Red Hat Linux 5.2
> installed.
>
> I have  OPL-SA3 intergrated sound card but can only configure it using
> Sound Blaster drivers with the following configuration :
>
> IRQ=5
> DMA=1 (at least one of the DMAs)
> IO=220
>
> I can play wav files without a problems.....MIDIs too...
>
> Only one problem : I cannot play ANY audio CDs....they play all
> right...but no music comes out of my speakers... Anyone have ANY tips?

Well, that has very little to do with the above, and a LOT to do with
hardware.  Make sure you have the little cable that runs from your CD
player to your soundcard.  The Synth stuff on the soundcard isn't used
for playing CD's: the CD is just told to start playing, and the sound
card is used as an pre-amplifier and mixer.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: "Eric Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux, Old Hardware, & Y2K
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:40:21 -0600

Just wondering, since I run Linux on an old 486.

Will I have to upgrade my hardware, or is there going to be some clever
software patch?
For example: maybe I can set my clock to 1980 and the OS will add 20 years?

Eric F. Peterson
Politically Incorrect and Proud!

------------------------------

From: Sammi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.hackers.malicious,microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Subject: Re: Site Critque, Please
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:51:18 -0500

==============55F4ACA210C0087C19A562BC

On the resources page you may want to advise that the links will exit
your site to another. Or better yet, have the links open in new windows
and say as much.
The Engineering page is very nice, high quality pics.
Over all I'd say a very nice page, no clutter, fast loading, no broken
links.
For what it's worth, that's my 2¢
Chris

mickey foley wrote:

> Hello
>
> Finally finished my site. Please critique.
> One Concern -
> Is my blue background color difficult to read?
>
> Best Wishes Barry
>
> http://www.woodsolutions.com/

Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.

Return address may contain SPAMBLOCKER

==============55F4ACA210C0087C19A562BC

&nbsp;

From: Joe Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RasMol not working!?
Date: 17 Mar 1999 23:06:27 -0500

You can *compile* RasMol to run on 24bpp displays.  I don't recall
seeing a 24bpp binary around.  I compiled both, and use a front-end
script which selects the appropriate one.

Unfortunately, both 8bpp and 24bpp break enough other stuff so that
neither is particularly comfy on any PC I use.  Instead, I usually run
a second X session at 8bpp on another console, and run rasmol there:

 exec startx -- :1 -bpp 8

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Brent A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gdb debugger on redhat5.2
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:48:29 +1000

I seem to be having some trouble with the gdb debugger on redhat5.2. The
problem is when I step through a program gdb says that it can't find the
file ../sysdeps/.../printf.c:31.
I compile the programs using gcc -g -O0, and it happens even with a fresh
install of redhat. It also makes no difference what kernel I use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Brent.