From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:50:36 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist),
  In a message on 19 Aug 2000 07:54:00 GMT, wrote :

H> that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
H> buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
H> instaling the drivers, and the drivers are for win95, 98 and nt...had to
H> return it...i checked around and it seems most, if not all, modems these
H> days even external ones need some sort of drivers.

An RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modem *will work*.  *Some* of the
"cheaper" USR modems are strange.  The Couriers (high end) work.
External Sporters work as well, but are cheaper grade.  The US Robotics
(external) 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro works -- costs more than the Sporters,
but cheaper than the Couriers.  Note: the one in front of me has both
RS232 serial (DB25 female) ANS USB connectors.  You would need a driver
for the USB (Linux kernel 2.4.x *might* support this), but you don't
need this -- the RS232 serial works just fine.

Note: *some* RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modems come with
'drivers' for win95, 98, nt, and MacOS.  These 'drivers' are just hacks
to insert special init and dial strings into the dialer software's
database.  Note: as a general rule, the init and dial strings don't
change much from modem to modem, except for special features and some
random optimizations -- it is about 50% 'ego' on the modem makers
part and 50% for ignorant users -- people want to see a menu item
with their modem listed and are feel odd selecting 'Generic Modem' --
*some people* think there is a company called 'Generic' that makes
'Generic Modems' -- a most strange company -- they are listed in
*every* setup program, but nobody has ever seen one of their modems and
they are never at *any* computer store, never show up on eBay or
PriceWatch... They are not really 'drivers' in any sense.  The
documentation should have the info you need to insert the strings into
a Linux dialer or chat or communication program (such as seyon or
minicom) configuration file.   I've used the *same* init strings for a
US Robotics Sportser modem with a US Robotics Courier -- I had things
all setup with a *old* US Robotics Courier HST, then got a Sportser --
just swaped in it and did not do any software config changes.  Then the
Sportser died and I got a US Robotics Courier V.everything and swaped it
in.  I have since fiddled with the settings.  Just as a test, I swaped
in the 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, again no software config changes.  Worked
just fine.

I guess there are *some* RS232 serial modems that are not Hayes AT
compliant, but are some sort of hybrid 'winmodem' -- a modem with 1/2 a
controller (has the serial port logic, but nothing behind it) -- these
are not truey RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modems.  Unless:
*exactly* what sort of cable were you using? USB or RS232?

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: burnt iso image
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:44:35 +0100

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Ian Mortimer wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Having a bit of trouble with a SuSE 6.4 iso.
>
>I downloaded the file and burnt it to a (new) CD-RW using Adaptec EasyCD
>(using the "Create CD using image" option) on an NT box - the test and
>write went fine but I can't seem to mount it.
>
>NT reported that the CD contained 647Mb and the CD Icon had the SuSE
>text label but it couldn't read it / open it.  My Linux box won't mount
>it at all:
>
>root@pent133:/home/ian > mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
>mount: No medium found
>root@pent133:/home/ian >
>
>Have I just got a bad CD or am I doing something wrong ?

Have you also tried mounting the original .iso file using the loop device? Try:
  mount /filename.iso /cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop3,blocksize=1024 .
(change the filename.iso to the actual filename, of course).

If you get the same message, you've got a corrupt .iso file. If it works and you
can see files using 'ls -l /cdrom' then you've got a bad CD.

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux as a recording studio...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:04:03 +0100

http://www.jazzzware.com                         JAZZ++ sequencer
http://mixmagic.sourceforge.net          MixMagic sample sequencer
http://beast.grk.org                           BEAST tracker
http://www.ffem.org/gdam/index.html   GDAM digital DJ mixer

--
Garry Knight

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:49:10 -0500

Jonathan McBrien wrote:

> [...]
>
> /dev/hda7            /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda8            swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda9            /boot                   ext2    defaults        0 2
> /dev/hda10           /usr                    ext2    defaults        0 2
> /dev/fd0             /mnt/floppy                vfat    noauto,user
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom           /mnt/cdrom                 iso9660 noauto,user,ro
> 0 0
> /dev/hdb4               /mnt/zip                ext2    user
>         0 0
> /dev/hda1               /mnt/win_c              vfat    user
>         0 0
> /dev/hda5               /mnt/win_d              vfat    user
>         0 0
> none                 /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                 /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620        0 0
>
> And now for the problem bit.
>
> mount /dev/hda9 /boot
> results in:
>
> EXT2-fs: 03:09: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda9,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> So I can't rerun lilo!
>
> I follow this with:
> e2fsck /dev/hda9
>
> and this splurts:
>
> e2fsck 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to
> open /dev/hda9
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> So I try:
> e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda9
>
> which produces:
>
> e2fsck 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while trying to open /dev/hda9
> Could this be a zero-length partition?
>
> I'm 99% certain that my hardware's not at fault because I can boot my
> Win95 partition with no problems.
>
> I've heard of a tool called gpart which *might* be what I need, but
> having downloaded, compiled it and read its man page on my other Linux
> box, it's scaring the hell out of me knowing that I could mess things
> up even further with it. In short, I'd appreciate someone sharing a bit
> of knowledge and experience with me so that I can repair my filesystems
> (if that's the problem).
>
> Much regards,
> Jonathan
>
> --
> # Jonathan McBrien
> # jonathan  [at]  m c b r i e n  [d0t]  0rg
> # Tragically, children are growing up who'll

Problems like this usually are due to hard disk problems.
If you made no significant changes to the OS---and updating gnome
should not affect this---then it almost has to be a hardware problem.

It seems from the error messages that there is a problem with the
/boot partition.  So you might be able to boot from a boot
floppy if you have one.   After doing so, it might be possible to
remove and then reinstall the kernel packages.   Or you might even
be able to make a new file system in the /boot partition first.

It is conceivable you could also do this from a rescue system
running in a ramdisk, but I doubt it.

If nothing else works, you could try reinstalling the OS from
scratch.

Finally, you might have to replace the disk.  If there was local
damage to the disk, you might still be able to boot Windows but
not be able to run Linux.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Hugh Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where is kernel 2.0.39 ?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:58:07 -0500

I recently wanted to tinker with one of the one-floppy
linux distributions and I needed a fresh kernel source
for version 2.0.39. I found that 2.0.38 was the last
version archived by kernel.org and a quick web & ftp
search turned up nothing. Is 2.0.39 mythical? Has it
been blasted from the face of the earth?

Thanks, Hugh Sparks, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:09:02 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:27:43 +0100, wrote :

s> Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
s> > Hi there...
s>
s> > I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version of Red
s> > Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????   The same person
s> > told me that all the basic utility (the ones that are tailored by Red
s> > Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any of this true???  Thanks...
s>
s> Red Hat is a free distro...
s> As such, anyone can take a Red Hat distro, add something, repackage it and
s> sell it as their own.
s>
s> That's what Mandrake originally did, but since then, they've diverged quite
s> a bit.

Note: that at a certain level *all distributions* are the same -- same
kernel, same C compiler, same binutils, same file system, same lilo,
same emacs, same TeX/LaTeX,  same ghostscript, same ghostview, same
grep, same ftp, same http, same sendmail, same XFree86, .......

Different distributions might be at different revision levels with some
things.  And have different 'extra' stuff.  One distribution might have
xv and another might have electric eyes and another might have both and
another might have neither (having some other graphics viewer).  Some
distributions might have emacs and some xemacs.  Some Gnome, some KDE,
some both, some neither...  Stuff like that.  But the basic kernel is
the same -- allowing for minor version variations, which is mostly a timing
issue: distro A version Y.Z comes out in Feb with kernel version 2.2.Q and
distro B version P.R comes out in March with kernel version 2.2.S (S >
Q).  And a person with distro A version Y.Z should not have any problem
upgrading his/her kernel rev.

s>
s> --
s> ______________________________________________________________________________
s> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
s> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
s> |            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
s> |     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
s> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
s>

--
                                     \/

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.misc,sci.lang,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux FAQ (Part 2 of 6) 'Chinese' not seperated into big5/GB
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:12:16 +0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The HOWTO's and other documentation have been translated
> into the following languages:
>
> Chinese (zh)   Croatian (hr)    French (fr)
I often see only one choice for 'Chinese' in Linux documentation... and often it
points to the "big5" version of Chinese used in
Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc.  But then there's also the a "GB" version of the Chinese
characters, used in China, so I think it wise that
the versions should be differentiated in the choices, as it's only a matter of time
before somebody does the translation for the
missing one of the pair in any documentation tree... same problem seen on the single
choice given on http://www.gnu.org/ homepage,
and more importiantly, the standard proposed on
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm ; indeed, it's not just a matter of
swapping two different character sets... some word usages have to be swapped, if one
wants to do a thorough job, at least for Taiwan
vs. China usage...
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni  ... fix e-mail address to reply; ¿n¤¦¥§
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.misc,sci.lang,alt.text.big5
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:15:19 +0800

From: "Stephane Theroux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: apache directory listings
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.html
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:30:41 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in article <8nm0qb$lod$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hi,
>
> There must be something wrong with the default Redhat 6.2 Apache
> intallation. The /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file seems fine, but for
> some reason I can not get directory lisings.
>
> Apache is supposed to give a directory listing when there's no
> index.html in the directory. Yes, I did include the trailing slash, and
> yes, the directory has world-wide read permissions. I looked in mod_dir
> and mod_autoindex and I still don't understand why it doesn't work.

You'll also need Options +Indexes on the directory.

<Directory /web/docs>
     Options +Indexes
</Directory>

--
Stephane Theroux
http://www.swishweb.com/ - 1000's of facts about our world

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Skjöldebrand)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:49:23 GMT

==> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Luc Van
Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    Luc> Hi, I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a
    Luc> taste of Linux, with which I have no experience whatsoever,
    Luc> except for having seen it run on other users computers :-)

    Luc> I'm planning to install Linux on my old P166 which has 64 MB
    Luc> RAM and all legacy hardware.

    Luc> I'd prefer to buy a distribution with Linux on CD for
    Luc> conveniance and I was wondering what would be the recommended
    Luc> distribution to get.

    Luc> I've seen and heard of Mandrake 7.1, SUSE, Red Hat, Corel
    Luc> Linux etc. I seem to have developed a slight preference for
    Luc> Mandrake, but what about the others. I assume RedHat is still
    Luc> considered being the "standard"?  Corel Linux seems to have
    Luc> some interesting tools for installation and file management,
    Luc> but what about stability?

I've used RH since 5.1 and recently changed to Mandrake. I think
Mandrake is much more polished than RH. They share the same base but
the Mandrake guys (and lasses) have done a good job making it sleeker,
faster and more user friendly. And it has a very neat installation routine.

M.
    Martin Skjöldebrand - chimbis at skjoldebrand.org
This message was created in a Microsoft free environment
            - http://www.linux.org -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HELP: Mandrake 7.1 Won't Complete Boot
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:41:02 GMT

> I've just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my system but it will not complete
> the boot process.  The system is setup for dual boot (Windows/Linux)
> with Bootmagic.  Linux starts to boot, stops and ask me to enter the
> runlevel (a bit strange since I indicated during install that I wanted
> it to start with the GUI).  After I type "5", I get the following:
>      INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
>      INIT: no more processes in this runlevel
>
> The bootup stops at that point.  Nothing else happens.  I've tried
> entering 1 and 3 for runlevels but the results are the same.
>
>  My system:
>
> 200 MHZ Pentium
> 64 MB RAM
> Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 video card
> 3COM 3c59x ethernet card
> SB AWE32 Sound card
> Linux on its own 2.4 GB drive
>
> If possible, please email any squggestions.
>
> Roy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have just had the same thing happen after sucessfully booting a
number of times in the last day. I just got Mandrake 7,1 yesterday.
I had to kill the session with a warm reboot because all of a sudden
I couldnt bring up the terminal; nothing seemed to be working (I was
logged in as root)
 I get the following messages at end
of reboot process:

INIT: no inittab file found
INIT: can't open (/etc/ioct1.save O_WRONLY): not a directory
Entr run level
(at this point I tried 5)
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Same result with runlevel 1.

It looks like 7.1 doesn't recover gracefully from errors. This is my first
move from Debian to Mandrake. Will I come to regret it? Any suggestions as to
how to recover from this present problem much appreciated.

Albert Hurd