From: Bharat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with unix path in CGI script
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:30:06 -0000

David,
Thanx a ton for the help, am grateful will try it out and let u know of
the working of the script,
thanx once again , really appreciate it
Bharat

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: microemacs 4.00 port?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:43:28 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:50:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Try the MicroEmacs available from
>
>    http://www.jasspa.com
>
>This is a varient of MicroEmacs. Has a native X-Windows
>interface, integral speller, hilighting etc. I suggest
>that you take the "alpha" release on the site. This runs
>fine despite being marked as alpha. Should just build
>and run on Linux. Will also build an run on windows
>using MS-DEV or the free borland compiler.

Thanks for the tip, but I recently got hold of the good old Martin
Whittaker port for OS/9, Solaris and now Linux.

Compiled up first go and runs perfectly. All I need now is the time to
get the function keys defined in termcap....

I've got the official Win and DOS versions. Both they and the MW port
work perfectly and identically off the same set of .cmd pages.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit SA6R, problems?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:58:06 +0100

I plane to buy new mainboard. I was thinking about Abit SA6R. Have
anybody some experience with it. Will it work with Linux? I have at work
Abit BX133 and it is working but this one (SA6R) have build in graphic,
will it work okay???
Thank for any suggestion
Rafael

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crontab question
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:15:05 -0500

NDQ wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> >
> > NDQ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm under RH6.1. Before, I can edit crontab with command :
> > > $ crontab -e
> > >
> > > But now when I exit editor I see :
> > >
> > > [quy@iris] ~$ crontab -e
> > > crontab: no changes made to crontab
> > >
> > > File /etc/cron.allow is OK, daemon crond is running...
> > >
> > > Have you any idea for help me ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > NGUYEN-DAI Quy
> >
> > After you type in the stuff you want in the editor, did you write it
> > out before exiting the editor? I do not want to insult your
> > intelligence, but I do not know your level of experience.
>
> I used vi/vim from 6 years so I think OK by typing ":wq" for saving and
> exiting, non ?
>
> Thanks,
> Q.
Oui, mais si vous employez emacs,

Anyhow, yes (after you hit Escape to get out of insert or append
mode). But for emacs, you may want to do Control-S and Control-X
instead.
--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup solution at Linux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:18:57 -0500

John Thompson wrote:

> "Richard M. Denney" wrote:
>
> > > I think the best way, if you do not wish to purchase commercial
> > > software such as BRU, is to use a shell script with find and cpio in
> > > it. Have cron schedule it to run when you are asleep so it does not
> > > get in your way and so you do not annoy it.
>
> > I do the same thing with find and afio...
>
> So do I.  And afio has an advantage over cpio if you use
> compression.

I never found afio, but I never looked very hard. Apparently, Red Hat
do not distribute it. But my DDS-2 tape drive does hardware
compression automatically, so I do not need afio for that.

> I even use afio from linux to back up my Windows partition.

I raise: I back up my Windows partition, which is on my other machine,
from this machine, through my LAN. ;-)

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 7:15am up 3 days, 16:04, 2 users, load average: 3.03, 2.90, 2.49

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Subject: Re: Switch box - Mouse resume problem
Date: 8 Dec 2000 12:28:39 GMT

Olivier Thomas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
: I am using a manual switch box to control several CPUs with one mouse,
: keyboard and screen. One of my CPU is a Linux box and when I switch to it
: from a Windows the mouse doesn't resume in my KDE environment and has
: disappeared. However I can still use the keyboard. My mouse is a PS2 generic
: 2 buttons.
: Does anybody know if there is a way to eliminate this problem or a command
: line to start the mouse in my KDE environment again ?
: Thanks for your help,
: Olivier.

I tried that once and found it very unreliable: freeze ups, etc.
Perhaps even worse, the green gun of the monitor died soon after
being attached to the switch.  Maybe coincidence, but I thought
the abrupt switching between very disparate video modes might be
responsible.
     I eventually just ethernetted them together, and that works
just fine.  I can telnet in as root from the box with peripherals,
and control everything that way (no danger since it's a lan only).
I do leave a db15 connector hanging off each machine's video card,
and a keyboard extender cable, just so I can easily hard-wire them
if necessary.  And you have the added benefit of being able to
backup/synchronize across machines with rdist or whatever.  And
you also only need one printer cable.  So you save a lot of ugly
cables and boxes, and gain some functionality.
     I'd recommend you dump the switchbox and do the same.
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 06:30:33 -0600

NDQ wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> >
> > NDQ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm under RH6.1. Before, I can edit crontab with command :
> > > $ crontab -e
> > >
> > > But now when I exit editor I see :
> > >
> > > [quy@iris] ~$ crontab -e
> > > crontab: no changes made to crontab
> > >
> > > File /etc/cron.allow is OK, daemon crond is running...
> > >
> > > Have you any idea for help me ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > NGUYEN-DAI Quy
> >
> > After you type in the stuff you want in the editor, did you write it
> > out before exiting the editor? I do not want to insult your
> > intelligence, but I do not know your level of experience.
>
> I used vi/vim from 6 years so I think OK by typing ":wq" for saving and
> exiting, non ?
>
> Thanks,
> Q.

How about permissions and attributes on the files you're trying to change?

[rj@localhost rj]$ ls -l /var/spool/cron
ls: /var/spool/cron: Permission denied
[rj@localhost rj]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rj]# ls -l /var/spool/cron
total 2
-rw-------   1 root     rj            226 Dec  3 11:17 rj
-rw-------   1 root     root          379 Oct 15 08:50 root
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     rj              0 Sep  3 22:17 tmp.1680
[root@localhost rj]# man lsattr
[root@localhost rj]# lsattr -R /var/spool/cron
======== /var/spool/cron/tmp.1680
======== /var/spool/cron/root
======== /var/spool/cron/rj
[root@localhost rj]#

(Don't ask me where the tmp.1680 came from.  I suspect it's an artifact of
my screwing around with ^%$#@* vi before I had sense enough to set the
editor variable.)

--
Dear Lord:
        I just want *one* one-armed manager so I never have to hear "On

  6:18am  up 55 days, 45 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.06, 0.01

------------------------------

From: Michel Bardiaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: so where do you get the new realplayer?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:32:40 GMT

David wrote:

> Douglas Nichols wrote:
> >
> > So whats the deal? I cannot find realplayer anywhere? Are they pulling
> > support?

>http://huxley.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html?src=001206realhome_2,001204rpchoice_h2&dc=127126125

Mmm... this is *still* RP7. RP8 for Linux nowhere to be found. B..other!

--
Michel Bardiaux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:00:41 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:27:19 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> (SNIP)
>
>To make a Rescue boot disk you need a blank floppy and to give the
>command:
>
> fdformat  /dev/fd0H1440
>       # makes a 1.44 MB floppy
>
> cp  /boot/vmlinuz  /dev/fd0
>       # copies the kernel (vmlinuz) to floppy
>
> /usr/sbin/rdev
>       # Shows kernel root device such as  "/dev/hda5"
>
> /usr/sbin/rdev  /dev/fd0  /dev/hdaX
>       # hdaX root device shown by command above.
>
> /usr/sbin/rdev  -R  /dev/fd0  1
>       # This makes the root device read only

I would not consider that a rescue diskette: it *requires* a viable
root partition on the hard disk.  So it is only providing an
alternative to a defective boot sector, not a damaged root filesystem.

What I consider a rescue diskette must have at a minimum fdisk (to
repair partitioning) and e2fsck (to repair filesystems).  Better yet
it should have the tools to create new filesystems (mke2fs) and
restore the root backup from backup (tar, restore, or whatever, plus
drivers for backup hardware).

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: OpenSSL Installation
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 07:47:52 -0600

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:26:18 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Flej Ling wrote:
>>
>> When installing OpenSSL you have the option of creating shared libraries.
>> The INSTALL file says that if your system knows what is needed to build
>> shared libraries they are not currently created by default, but giving the
>> option "shared" will get them created. The "shared" option is described as
>> "In addition to the usual static libraries, create shared libraries on
>> platforms where it's supported".
>>
>> QUESTIONS: What are shared libraries? Why might I want them (instead of
>> static libraries)? Why does it create both when you specify "shared", (ie:
>> rather than just shared libraries)?
>>

>shared libraries are just that, they are shared.  One copy is placed on
>your hard drive to allow any program that needs them to use them. This
>saves space b/c only one copy is needed for many programs.  The opposite
>is static which means every program has the libs it needs built-in which
>makes the program bigger than it needs to be. But being built-in to the
>program makes the program run faster.
>
>if you want extra speed make them static, if u want to save space then
>use shared
>
>it creates both b/c thats the way the program was designed. I can't read
>minds but i'd guess that's why it makes both.  Each program is differnt.
>This one makes both kinds of binaries.

Often, the shared libraries for normal use, especially if you may have more
than one program running that uses the services. The static libraries are
provide two things: the executable can run on a machine that does not have the
static libraries and a debugger can be used on it to actually trace calls into
the library. Although shared libraries can be traced, it is more difficult.

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't use RealPlayer
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:24:07 +0800

Jynx wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:29:20 +0800, Carfield Yim scribbled:
>
>> I am using gnome. After I download Real Player and install, it tell me
>> that the version is expired and need to update, but it is a fresh
>> download from real.com. How can I do?
>

> W/O more information....   What is the system date on your machine?
>
> Jonesy

I haven't alter my system date by any way, it just follow the calendar,
and the system I use in Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Bill Delphenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:23:02 -0500

Another option that comes with RedHat is Amanda. It took me a bit of mucking
around to get it to work, but it has lots of neat features.

My $.02.

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:26:31 +0800

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:

>>> I do the same thing with find and afio...
>>
>> So do I.  And afio has an advantage over cpio if you use
>> compression.
>

> I never found afio, but I never looked very hard. Apparently, Red Hat
> do not distribute it. But my DDS-2 tape drive does hardware
> compression automatically, so I do not need afio for that.
>
>> I even use afio from linux to back up my Windows partition.
>

> I raise: I back up my Windows partition, which is on my other machine,
> from this machine, through my LAN. ;-)
>

>> It
>> works fine, and yes I have successfully restored the Windows
>> partition from an afio archive made in linux.
>>
>> --
>>
>> -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Thx all!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
From: Istvan Zsolt Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Activating the Multimedia keys
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:25:41 GMT

Hi!

I have a multimedia keyboard (microsoft internetlike/clone) with:
Sleep,Suspend, WWW, MsDos, MyDoc,Menu and the Play/Stop/Ffwd
etc buttons. There are also 2 additional LEDs.

Does anybody know how to activate these keys in Linux? I'm using kernel
2.2-15 with RH6.0 and XFree86 4.0.1.

These keys DO NOT generate any scancodes (checked with showkeys and xev)!

I know the scancodes it supposed to generate
(http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes.html)
and I  know how to map them under XFree86 4.0.1
but so far I didn't find a patch (kernel,keyboard driver) to activate the
keys.

Any input is much appreciated!

Istvan

PS: I read one message from somebody having similar problems with an
IBM extended keyboard but I can't remember his name!?

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Pollack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:32:47 GMT

In article <AxgV5.4713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "GC"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> oh yeah... the system i'm installing on is a p166 64mb RAM
>
> "GC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:mvgV5.4711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> i'm very new to linux, so i don't nkow mucha bout the GUI enviroments
>> or anything. well, i heard things about KDE, Gnome and X11. i was
>> wondering could software that ran in one of these environments run on
>> the other?
>>
>> also, are there any opinions on what is better and more stable? KDE,
>> Gnome or X11? or any other environments? thanks

I use gnome + sawfish on my office system (P333,128M) and love it, but I find that
my home system, which has the same specs as yours, just isn't up to the
task; everything runs, but very slowly. On this system I use icewm
instead, which I recommend highly.

--
G. Pollack
Dept. of Biology, McGill Univ.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.windows.x
Subject: java repaint problem on gnome solaris
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:26:17 GMT

I recently installed Gnome on my Solaris8(sun4u) box.

However, as soon as I try to start _any_ java app the java app does not
get painted. If I drag a window over it some of the items will be
repainted.

It sounds to me like a backing-store issue, however I cannot figure out
how under solaris/gnome to do this.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanx!

Fred LaBar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wu-ftp] Inetd dies
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:40:38 GMT

Hello,

I'm having problems with my wu-ftp 2.6.1 installation on a RH 6.2
machine. If the client does an mput or similar of several large files,
inetd sometimes dies after the first file is uploaded.

It leaves :

Dec  8 14:59:24 osiris inetd[767]: pid 4796: exit status 1

in /var/log/messages .

Wu was compiled with --disable-anonymous --disable-pam --enable-
passwd . It's started from inetd.conf with

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -a

...And otherwise work fine.

Help, please ..

Subject: Re: help w/ setting an environment var
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Dec 2000 08:48:56 -0600

    D> If he runs X and X was started from a bash shell, it is still
    D> possible for his setup to inherit some attributes of the
    D> starting/parent shell (possibly gnome-terminal if he uses
    D> gnome). To know for certain, he'd have to login at console only
    D> (avoid the complications of X), do a ps fxa (or similar), and
    D> see if his tcsh shell has a parent that is another shell (the
    D> "f" of ps fxa tells it to show processes as a tree, based on
    D> parent). From within a tcsh that has no other shell for a
    D> parent, he could then echo $PERL5LIB

I've confirmed that it's an X/GNOME thing.  If I telnet out (even with
X running) and then telnet back in so that the incoming session is not
under X, it does not see the PERL5LIB var from /etc/profile.

So, when I log in under X/GNOME, it appears that first .tcshrc is
loaded and then /etc/profile.

Thanks for your input,
John Hunter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:52:30 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lee Allen:

[Snip...]

|> at a minimum fdisk (to
|> repair partitioning) and e2fsck (to repair filesystems).  Better yet
|> it should have the tools to create new filesystems (mke2fs) and
|> restore the root backup from backup (tar, restore, or whatever, plus
|> drivers for backup hardware).

[Snip...]

Not sure about "drivers for backup hardware" but FWIW...

I highly recommend Tom's RootBoot:

                    http://www.toms.net/rb/

A simple 5 minute or less job from download to completely freestanding
Linux bootfloppy with all these and more; from the FAQ:

2.0.37 3c589_cs BusLogic CVF DEC_ELCP EEXPRESS EEXPRESS_PRO EL2 EL3
EXT2 FAT FAT32 FD IDE IDECD IDEFLOPPY IDEPCMCIA IDETAPE ISO9660
JOLIET LOOP MATH_EMULATION MINIX MSDOS NE2000 NFS PROC RAM SD
SERIAL SLIP SMC SR ST TR ULTRA VFAT VORTEX WD80x3 ah152x_cs aha152x
aha1542 aic7xxx ash awk badblocks bdflush bzip2 cardbus cardmgr cat
ce ce.help chattr chgrp chmod chown chroot clear cmp cp cpio cut
date dd ddate debugfs df dirname dmesg dmsdos ds du dumpe2fs dutil
e2fsck eata echo egrep elvis emacs extend false fdflush fdformat
fdisk fdomain filesize find findsuper fmt fsck.ext2 fsck.msdos fstab
grep gzip halt head hexedit hostname i82365 ifconfig ifport ile init
inittab insmod kill killall5 ksyms length less libc.so.5.4.13 lilo
lilo.conf ln loadkeys login losetup ls lsattr mawk md5sum memtest
mingetty miterm mkdir mkdosfs mke2fs mkfifo mkfs.minix mklost+found
mknod mkswap mnsed more mount mt mv nc ncr53c8xx nmclan_cs ntfs pax
pcmcia pcmcia_core pcnet_cs ping plip ppa printf ps pwd qlogic_cs
qlogicfas reboot rescuept reset rm rmdir rmmod route rsh rshd script
scsi_info seagate sed serial_cs setserial sh slattach sleep slip
snarf sort split stty swapoff swapon sync tail tar tcic tee telnet
test touch tune2fs umount undeb update vi vi.help wc

There's another page with lotsa "add-ons" invoked via insmod (etc.).

Understand it's kernel 2.0.37 so there's known workarounds for those
pesky conflicts with libs, lilo, modules, etc. Not only a great tool
for repairs, but for learning Linux from the groundup as well.

For me, it's the AMEX of LOAFs: don't leave home without it.   :)

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.