Linux-Misc Digest #555, Volume #19               Sun, 21 Mar 99 23:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Make new swap file. ("Tom Holmes")
  Re: Removing Ontrack Disk Manager (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
  Re: mount a big partition (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
  Re: PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work
("David J. DeFrain")
  Re: Make new swap file. (Mircea)
  Re: lp device question (Alexander Luchin)
  Re: IE5 under Linux (Bob Schreibmaier)
  Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes? ("Misterfixit")
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? ("robert staehle")
  Re: lp device question (Alexander Luchin)
  AppleTalk/Netatalk (rufus)
  ishare for Linux ? ("Robert Gloria")
  ppp mgetty dialup stalling (Michael Westwind)
  Re: Linux behind MS Proxy (Jim Richardson)
  Re: What is the best Linux to install? (Eddy S)
  Modem list for Linux (Eric Bryant)

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 02:05:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linux User) writes:

>I've finally got RedHat 5.2 running with WindowMaker and an updated
>kernel to 2.2.3. And I find it it MUCH more beautiful than Win98
>(because of WinMaker?) and incredibly more faster and more reliable.
>
>But still, I don't standard bootup my computer with Linux. Why? Well,
>because, you can say what you want about Windoze, it got some pretty
>good programs written for it.
>And I doubt that I'll bootup with linux before I can get their
>Linux-equivalents.

        I too have to admit that i'll always have
an MS box around. So far I haven't found any apps
for Linux which will compare with Adobe Photoshop,
in my opinion it still remains superior and will
therefor require the us of win95...

>A good file manager, equal to Windows Explorer. you can say what you
>want, but the windows explorer is a good file manager. Drag-and drop
>is just very easy to use.
>So the linux-equal should be supporting drag-and-drop, keyboard
>commands (copy and move,etc), configurable with all kind of
>decorations, execute files with a double click and a configurable look
>of how you browse files (details, list or in Linux tems ls-l ls ls-a)

        Um, i'm running RH5.1 w/ AfterStep v1.1
and i've installed ASFiles, a hack of the OffiX
file manager. I'm not sure it will run with
WindowMaker but you can download it from the
AfterStep page... www.afterstep.com or from the
ftp site (ftp.afterstep.com).
        It supports the DND library and full
drag-n-drop capabilities. It also uses pretty
icons for files and directories... The only
thing is that there really isn't any config,
it pretty much runs the way it's meant to.

>If these programs exists, then please tell me were I can get them

        If you looking for Linux software then
check out sunsite.und.edu (ftp), there is tons
of stuff available there.

j.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Holmes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Make new swap file.
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:20:48 -0500

Hi, I am a Linux newbie, but I have done extremely well in using it (if I do
say so myself).

After I added a new 8.4gb hard drive as a slave, I made 2 partitions on it:

/dev/hdb1 is a 72MB swap file even though I did tell fdisk to use +64M which
I thought was 64 megs.    (or partition 1

/dev/hdb2 which is my data partition (or partition 2).

No one told me and no place I have read in books or on the net have said
that the
partition can't be an Etended, it must be a partition (1-4) which then
defaults it as Linux Native.

I tried to use 'mkswap /dev/hdb1' to make this a swap file on this new
drive.   The x-windows linuxconf says that this has no mounting point, is of
type swap, but then it still says Linux Extended (type 83 not 82) at the
end.  How can I correct this, and make this a true Linux swap
file/partition?   Or how do I confirm this is set correctly?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
Subject: Re: Removing Ontrack Disk Manager
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:22:54 +0100

David Gochfeld schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have a single ide disk, on which Win98 is installed, and 2 scsi disks,
>one of which contains my Red Hat install.  The ide disk came with
>Ontrack Disk Manager DDO installed.  It is completely unneccessary in my
>system, and I would like to remove it.
>
>Here's what I've done:
>In linux, I tar'ed entire contents of the ide drive (hda1) to the spare
>scsi disk (sdb1).
>
>Then I booted windows off a startup floppy, ran fdisk on the ide drive,
>removed the one existing partition and created new partitions.
>
>I rebooted the computer, again off the windows startup floppy, and ran
>format /s onthe ide drive.
>
>Then I went back to linux (booting off a linux boot floppy), and copied
>the contents of the tar file I created back tot he primary partition of
>the ide drive.
>
>Then I rebooted.  And the Ontrack Drive Manager is *still* there!@#$!
>What do I have to do to remove it?
>
>Thanks
>
>-Dave

Hello Dave,

you only need to "fdisk /mbr" from a dos-boot-floppy to get rid of the
Drive-Manager.

But first compare, whether the partition table shown in fdisk after booting
from your IDE-drive has the same parameters as when booting from a floppy.

When they are _not_ the same, you must reinstall your "senseless"-stuff.

Or, ... give that a try :

format your spare scsi-drive under senseless98,

then copy everything (but without io.sys and command.com!!! ) to the
scsi-drive with WindowsCommander (cofigured to show system/hidden files),
NOT with explorer!,

fdisk /mbr, fdisk create partition and format /s the ide-drive from
senseless98-boot-disk

and then mount IDE- and SCSI-partition under linux (VFAT) and copy everthing
back to the IDE-drive.

Bernd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernd-Ulrich Adrigam)
Subject: Re: mount a big partition
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 02:58:37 +0100

Benjamin HERZOG schrieb in Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hello ,
>I am runing Linux Red Hat 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.34).
>I would like to access some files on my msdos partition. But it is a 2.1
>GigaBytes partition (/dev/hda1), and the unique partition on /dev/hda.
>So, i mounted the whole hd:
># mount -t  msdos  /dev/hda  /mnt
>And it answers:
>'mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
>              or too many mounted file systems'
>I think that could be because of the size of /dev/hda1 ...
>
>Is there any solution to mount /dev/hda,
>otherwise, is there a way to mount a special directory in /dev/hda1 like
>/dev/hda1/directory
>( i tried this second option ... with no success : 'i get /mnt is not a
>directory')
>
>Thank you for helping.
>
>Benjamin HERZOG
>e-mail :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Benjamin,

With floppy and cdrom not having partitions, you mount the device, but
hard-drives do have partitions and so you have to mount that and not the
device.

Well, lets say hda is the device and hda1 is the msdos-partition on the
device hda.
( Is it REALY msdos or FAT32 from Win95/98 ??? )

To mount anything, you first create a directory, where you will mount it
into.

md /dos
mount -tmsdos /dev/hda1 /dos

or to get it mounted automaticly at boot-time, just edit your /etc/fstab and
add a line like
/dev/hda1         /dos                                msdos
defaults          0      0

read the man-pages to mount and fstab, too.

Bernd

------------------------------

From: "David J. DeFrain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't
Work
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:33:33 -0500

I solved this myself by checking a button in the ppp setup of Linuxconf that
had something to do making PPP the "default gateway."  With this checked,
the apps used the ppp port and all is well.

David J. DeFrain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've installed RH 5.2 on my PC and have been trying to get PPP working.
> I've configured the modem with Linuxconf, and when I dial it with
"Usernet"
> the modem connects to my ISP and establishes a session - Usernet's green
> light goes on.  However, none of my Internet apps, such as Netscape or
Lynx,

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Make new swap file.
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:58:09 -0500

Tom, you're somewhat confused here. First, it's better to make a swap
partition, not a swap file. You have this /dev/hdb1, a primary
partition, that you want to use as swap. Good. It has to be marked as
such, by running fdisk or cfdisk, and changing its type as Linux swap
(type 82), and write to disk the new settings. You'll also find out the
real size of your partition. Then you do the
mkswap -c /dev/hdb1 on it, then you mount it in /etc/fstab, like this:
/dev/hdb1       swap     none        defaults   0   0

Then, you add in your /etc/rc.d/rc.S a line:
/sbin/swapon -a
(or /sbin/swapon /dev/hdb1)

And it's always a good idea to read the manual pages, i.e.
man mkswap
man swapon

To see if the swap has kicked in, use:
free

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Luchin)
Subject: Re: lp device question
Date: 21 Mar 1999 22:01:35 -0500

Walter Strong ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Alexander Luchin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: : When I do 'cat /proc/devices', I don't see any of the lp (neither lp0, nor
: : lp1, nor lp2) in the least. Does it mean that all of the lp devices are dead?

: if you want to find out what's up with your printer(s) try:
: lpc
: lpc> status

I tried that, and that's what I got:

 # LOCAL djet500:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
       lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        cannot examine spool directory

Looks like the daemon is dead, is it right?
                                         Alex.

comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Schreibmaier)
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:35:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Emile van Bergen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Just stick to Netscape 3.04 Gold. Has an html editor, mail/newsreader,
>the complete package is much smaller (on disk and in memory) than even
>the standalone Navigator 4.0x or 4.5 (leave alone communicator), and
>crashes far, far less often. I was tempted many times to try one of
>those 4 series, but only to switch back to 3.04 in a few days.
>
>And oh, it already has full java/jscript/https support. No CSS, though.

The only problem I ran into on Netscape 3.0x is that it won't play the
MIDI files from www.bluemountain.com.  I am using playmidi to play the
MIDI files and using mimeplugin.so to tell Netscape what program to use
when it sees MIDI.

Bob

| Bob Schreibmaier K3PH | E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Kresgeville, PA 18333 | ICBM:   40o55'N 75o30'W        |

From: "Misterfixit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: 21 Mar 1999 11:32:23 PST

I obtained "The Complete Redhat LINUX Installation Guide 5.2", published by
Red Hat Software Publishing, Research Triangle, NC, complete with 3CD's for
$5.00 at a yard and garage sale.  It has worked for me so far.

Remember there are lots of impulse buyers over there at CompUSA.

Cheers

------------------------------

From: "robert staehle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:25:26 -0800

I'll go one step further... I run Linux, Irix, NT, Win98, and MacOS8.

MacOS8 rules for ease of use, drag and drop, contextual menus, scripting
etc..  Linux is great but it's still a long way from the commercially
available OS's for ease of use.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Luchin)
Date: 21 Mar 1999 22:04:03 -0500

Bob Martin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: No, but do you see a line

:  6 lp

: in the character device list. If you do not see that, then likely no lp
: ports were detected.

No, I actually don't see that line. I have lp0, lp1 and lp2 in /dev
directory though. Is there any way to "revive" the device?

                                                            Alex.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rufus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: AppleTalk/Netatalk
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:35:58 -0600

hi. having a little bit of trouble with my netatalk setup. I can't seem to
login as a user via AppleTalk. It recognizes the user name, and apparently
the password because it give me the "password incorrect" message when I
enter the wrong password, BUT when I enter the correct password, all I get
is nothing for a few minutes, then I get "service has unexpectantly closed
connection" (or something to that effect). The option to login as a guest
isn't available.

I think it has something to do with my NOT using shadow passwords, but am
not at all sure. Anyone have a clue?
thanks

------------------------------

From: "Robert Gloria" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ishare for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:58:52 -0600

Is there a ishare server or client app available for Linux ?

------------------------------

From: Michael Westwind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp mgetty dialup stalling
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:34:14 -0800

I have a curious situation.  Comuter A is Debian 2.1 system with dialup
access to the internet.  Computer B is a similar machine which is on a
local net with A, set up with mgetty using AutoPPP and the "login"
option and PAP to accept incoming dialin connections.  When I dial in to
B, I get the same two responses no matter whether I am dialing in from a
linux box, or a win 95 box.

If A is connected to my ISP, the dial in connection to B is accepted
immediately.  If A is not connected to the internet, the dialin sever
(B) stalls just after the client sends in the login, the dialin
continues to send login requests and then times out and hangs up, AFTER
which B responds to the request with "login ok", to a dead line, of
course.

I can dial in to B with Minicom or Hyperterminal which works fine,
telnet to A and dial up my ISP, break the conection from Hyperterminal,
or whatever, and redial with DUN or my linux ppp dialer to B and things
work fine.  If I then telnet into A and break the ISP connection, the
link from home to B continues to work.  I have tried modifying
pap-secrets so it will accept anything at all and it has no effect.
Both B and A are set up as nameservers, but I have another set up
similarly without BIND and it does the same thing.

Forgive me if this is horribly obvious, but I'm stumped.

--
Michael Westwind                                13665 SW Larch Pl#20
Computer Center Coordinator                     Beaverton, OR 97005

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux behind MS Proxy
Date: 22 Mar 1999 03:48:12 GMT

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 05:43:35 +1000,
 Dennis Fiedler, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>> Gergo Barany schreef:

>Well I'm a linux newbie and I have had MS Proxy for a while, so if I can
>avoid 1) buying another proxy product 2) rearranging my entire server
>setup (strong believer in: 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'). I will
>avoid it. and seeing as I have been a Win x user for pretty much my entire
>computing life, I think I'll need to familiarise myself with linux first.
>I'm still having troubles installing programs such as licq and x11amp. let
>alone setting up servers :P
>
>Have Fun!
>Dennis Fiedler
>
>email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In many ways, setting up Linux as a server, is easier to do than setting it
up as a desktop box. No x to deal with for one :)
 Seriously, windows is broken as a server out of the box, if you don't need
24/7 and if you are lucky to not get attacks on your server, then you'll
probably be ok.

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eddy S)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: What is the best Linux to install?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:46:47 GMT

I'm totally new to Linux. Just bought RH5.2 last week and installed
it. I must say that installation is automatic. No problem at all,
except with starting the X-windows. But the following night after
running Xconfigurator and "Custom" select the monitor type, it works
well.

Never tried any other distribution, but so far I'm quite satisfied
with RH. At least it let me started easily as newbie.

Eddy

From: Eric Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Modem list for Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:00:03 +0000

Anyone with a question of whether your modem is compatable with Linux
can find a very resourceful list at

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Eric