Linux-Misc Digest #605, Volume #19               Thu, 25 Mar 99 23:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Using make menuconfig (Geoff Allsup)
  Re: a.out (jamie)
  Re: No core files when program segfaults (Aron Felix Gurski)
  Please Help an Newbie (Trey)
  New Linux web site ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GNOME compliant window manager - not (Matthias Warkus)
  compiling problems ("Raphaël LANGELLA")
  LILO (Lian PL)
  Resizing partitions. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GNOME compliant window manager - not (lisa)
  Re: Need Groupwise client for Linux. (need Exchange too!) ("Alain Coetmeur")
  Re: IE5 under Linux ("Timebandit")
  Restricting to home directory in telnet (Zenno Smith)
  Re: Database library for C++ Linux (gcc) ("No Spam")
  Re: Bash version question (Paul Kimoto)
  SparcStation 2 binary Linux image ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux server with Outlook client (Jeffrey L Straszheim)
  Re: how do I set up Linux to accept ftp sessions on a LAN? ("Jeremy L. Buchmann")
  Re: cgi write permissions? (Zuehl Joachim)
  10 Gb disk, Win98, and Linux (dhbrown)
  Re: thai/laotion linux distribution? (or support) ("Dr. Jochen Amrehn")
  Re: Adduser (Ed Young)
  Catch MicroSoft napping. (Stirling Hamersley)
  Re: kde 'died' (Jeffrey L Straszheim)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Allsup)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using make menuconfig
Date: 26 Mar 1999 01:52:58 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:06:30 GMT, Christian D Freet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have read about reconfiguring the kernel, and I wish to do so.  BUT, I can't figure
>out how
>to use the "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" commands... when used, I get a message
>saying
>"no rule defined [etc.]"

quick question:  are you doing this from the /usr/src/linux directory as root?

Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jamie)
Subject: Re: a.out
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:50:19 GMT

Mitchell Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Also how do I invoke the fortune cookies I can not find them on my system
>!(/usr/bin)

/usr/games/fortune

--
  jamie  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

                "There's a seeker born every minute."

------------------------------

From: Aron Felix Gurski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: No core files when program segfaults
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:29:51 +0100

Mennie-Mail wrote:

>         Recently I've tried to update my system to a libc6 system and
> thought everything was working fine.
>         But when any of the projects I'm working on (in C++) seg fault,
> they don't see to produce a core file anymore. Permissions are ok, and I'm
> not doing anything differently. But something I updated seems to be
> preventing core files.
>         I remember hearing about somewhere you could turn on/off core
> files (in general and for root), but I have no idea where that is.
>         Can someone give me some ideas on this? thanks a lot

The command to turn core dumps on/off is

        ulimit -c number-of-blocks-allowed

If you ran that command with number-of-blocks-allowed as 0, then that would
have stopped the core dumps. This is a bash command, and is documented in
the bash man pages.
--
        -- Aron

|     _   NB: Om du vil svare med e-post,     |"Sometimes the magic works,|
| __/\_\      må du fjerne "spam-block."      | sometimes it doesn't."    |
|/\_\/_/      frå adressa mi.                 |                           |
|\/_/\_\  NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, |    -- Chief Dan George,   |
|   \/_/      you have to remove "spam-block."|       in "Little Big Man" |
|             from my address.                |                           |

From: Trey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please Help an Newbie
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:00:53 -0500

I accidentally erased some very important files and don't know how or if
i can recover them.  "locate" still shows the files but the directories
and file don't show up with the "ls" command.  Can anyone help me get
them back?

Thanks,
Trey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New Linux web site
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:02:50 GMT

At www.wastenotime.com we would like to increase Linux awarness and provide
linux resources to Linux users around the World.  We currently offer a high
quality linux message board along with a chat room.  We are also looking for
Linux users who have information,articles, unique Linux software that they
would like to share with the World.  Take a look at our web site!

-Manny Marinho
Webmaster/Owner
www.wastenotime.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: GNOME compliant window manager - not
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:33:46 +0100

It was the Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:22:10 GMT...
..and lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another question:  When I open GNOME, all windows open in the top left
> corner, and I can't move them.        does this have to do with the window manager
> also?  Ugh.

Yes. This means that you aren't actually running a window manager. Try
making sure that Enlightenment is run by gnome-session.

mawa
--
Tomorrow, you can be anywhere.

------------------------------

From: "Raphaël LANGELLA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compiling problems
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:06:20 +0100

I'm using a RedHat linux 5.2 with a 2.2.3 kernel and have always the
same
error while compiling different programs. examples:
xanim 2810 :  xa_input.c:1036: `SOL_SOCKET' undeclared
  xa_input.c:1036: `SO_REUSEADDR' undeclared

traceroute-1.4a5: ./traceroute.c:364: `SO_DEBUG' undeclared
   ./traceroute.c:420: `SO_DONTROUTE' undeclared
   ./traceroute.c:588: `SOL_SOCKET' undeclared

golgotha: golgotha/i4/network/tcpip.cc:112: `SOL_SOCKET' undeclared
  golgotha/i4/network/tcpip.cc:112: `SO_REUSEADDR' undeclared
  golgotha/i4/network/tcpip.cc:320: `SOL_SOCKET' undeclared
  golgotha/i4/network/tcpip.cc:320: `SO_BROADCAST' undeclared
  golgotha/i4/network/tcpip.cc:324: `SO_REUSEADDR' undeclared

does anyone understand this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lian PL)
Subject: LILO
Date: 26 Mar 1999 01:32:47 GMT

How do I get LILO to be able to boot both DOS and LInux. My LILO can only
boot on LInux. It cannot boot DOS.
Plse email to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Resizing partitions.
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:30:47 GMT

    I have a western digital 8.4gb IDE drive that I have partitioned into four
drives:

/dev/hdb1            4950048 1972501  2721312     42%   /files
/dev/hdb2            2040300       2  2040298      0%   /dos
/dev/hdb3            (the rest, linux can't see it, it's BeOS FS)

    I'd like to reclaim the whole drive for /files, without destroying the 2
GB of data that's already on there.   Is it possible to do this?  How risky
is it?

    Thanks in advance...

   --

   Michael Chisari

From: lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:59:07 GMT

> >Latest headache:
> >GNOME Pager Error (honest, i was only trying it out!)
> >
> >You are not running a GNOME compliant Window Manager
> >Please run a GNOME compliant Window Manager (oh, if I only could)
> >For Example:
> >Enlightenment (DO-0.15)
> >Then start this applet again.
> >
> >All (parenthesis) are my own comments
> >
> >Okay, I was under the assumption that I WAS running a GNOME compliant Window
> >Manager.  I am running Enlightenment (latest version as of last week) and the
> >latest version of GNOME also.  I've added gnome-session to .Xclients,
> >.xinitrc.  What have I missed?       I understand the window manager takes
care of
> >all the window stuff. (very technical, huh?) And I know it's just a matter of
> >something in the wrong place, or the wrong command in the wrong file.  I am
> >wracking my brain here.
>
> The problem here (and this may not be as helpful as you'd hope) is that
> the GNOME Pager is an example of an application that really does care
> what WM you're running.  It really does need to be able to "talk to" the
> WM, since it is the WM that manages virtual consoles.  (And the "Pager"
> represents a little application to allow you to look at and select those
> virtual consoles...)
>
> I find it surprising that Enlightenment is *not* providing that; it is
> the "test bed" application that has been providing the first
> implementation of most of the GNOME-specific "hints."
>
> What is most likely to be the case here is that the copy may have been
> compiled in such a way as to omit the GNOME support.  Did you compile it
> yourself?  Or did you get it as an "RPM" package?

I found all the RPM's at http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_rh.shtml excluding
the latest Enlightenment release at I believe, Rasterman's website.  I can't
remember where I got everything, as I spend so much time on this, at so many
different sites looking for information, I can't even keep my bookmarks
organized (I hate that!)

> - If you compiled E yourself, then there's most likely some option that
> you forgot to fiddle in the Makefile or some such thing; take a look at
> files like "README" or "INSTALL" in the main directory where you
> extracted the source code.
>
> - If you installed it as an RPM package, then tell us what version and
> where you got it.

See above

> You can get that sort of information via:
> % rpm -q -i enlightenment
> and you could drop that into a file to include in your reply:
> % rpm -q -i enlightenment > ~/e.txt
> or perhaps "cut and paste" using mouse.

here's that info.  Think you can help me?  Or should I just attempt KDE?  I
left the entire message in in case you'll need to reread it.  I really want
to get this running, as it's become a red flag for me.  I'll never learn
anything if I continuously give up on the things that don't work right.  I am
such a newbie ( 3 mos. tops) and I'm trying to understand how everything in
this damn OS relates to everything else.  Thank You so much for your help.

Name     :      enlightenment
Version  :      0.14
Vendor:   none
Release  :  1
Build Date:  Fri Jul 17 22:55:12  1998
Install date:  Thu Mar 18 09:22:50 1999
Build Host: trode
Group     : X11/Appliations
Source RPM:  enlightenment-0.14-1.src.rpm
Size  : 2733855
License:  GPL
Packager  : The Rasterman <email address>
comments)

From: "Alain Coetmeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Need Groupwise client for Linux. (need Exchange too!)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:20:15 +0100

BlackBug a écrit dans le message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>My office uses Groupwise, I'd like to put Linux on the desktop.
>Any thoughts.
1st- tell me if it is possible

2nd- otherwise think about Web Accesses
if there are some about groupwise.

note that I have the same question about
Exchange. Our idea is to see what web access
give to the users, especially with the calendar
subsystem.

note that for mail, groupwise have SMPT gateways
and even exchange gateways.

------------------------------

From: "Timebandit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IE5 under Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:34:31 -0800

ie 5 is having massive problems on Linux 5.2 -
why use it anyway?

i'm coding an enhancement to correct the problems i've had
with errors that cause it to hang and sometimes (actually one time)
it will hang the Linux system.. damn gill bates!

good luck.. stay away from ie5.0 until at least i can get
this patch i wrote to you.. that helps, a little.

cheers,
wizard!

reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Zenno Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Restricting to home directory in telnet
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:39:05 -0600

Hi all.

I want to give telnet account to my users. How can I restrict them to
their home directory? I have made this in FTPD but not in telnet.
Also, I was thinking about ssh. Which of this two options is recomended?

Thanks for any help.

Zenn

------------------------------

From: "No Spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.progress,comp.programming
Subject: Re: Database library for C++ Linux (gcc)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:11:10 GMT

Is that included in slackware? And what about the book. I need a good
"reference" book for g++.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Bash version question
Date: 25 Mar 1999 22:10:53 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Powe wrote:
>  Also, I believe it is the
> case that 2.x is quite a bit bigger than 1.14.
>
> (Linux 2.2.0) [/home/michael]
> 4 -- ll /bin/bash -rwxr-xr-x 1 root  root   1347319 Sep 22  1998 /bin/bash

Has this binary been stripped?  My binary is 345 kB (although it's
dynamically linked to libreadline, libhistory, libncurses, and the
usual suspects).

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SparcStation 2 binary Linux image
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:56:11 GMT

I would like to load Linux (the latest available version of course) on

a Sun SparcStation2.  Problem is, that typically a C compiler is
not available and I cannot make a load.  Does anyone have
a binary load that I can ftp that I can get Linux up and running
on my Sun ?

From: Jeffrey L Straszheim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux server with Outlook client
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:07:37 -0500

Philip Ellis wrote:

> Does anyone know of a package that runs on Linux that allows me to use
> Outlook on the client.

I assume what you are asking is how to use Linux as
your mail server and Outlook on your Windows clients.
The solution is pretty straightforward, Outlook allows
you to run "Internet Mail" as a service, which provides
access to a SMTP/POP3 server. Ordinarily you'd use
this to connect to servers on the Internet (hence
the name), but Linux will run those protocols
fine within the office. Check the docs on sendmail
and qpopper. Note that setting up sendmail can
be non-trivial; you'll want to do your homework
before you start. There are plenty of books available.
If your server is visible on the Internet make
sure you read up on sendmail security--sendmail
runs as root. The same for the POP server.

> Along with email I need access to diaries etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "diaries".  If you
mean public folders then I'm not sure if I have an
easy solution. Setting up a NNTP server on your
linux box will do that, but I don't think that Outlook
has an NNTP service. However, Outlook Express does.
Also, you might try a mailing list daemon; although
not as fancy as a public folder, it often gives the
desired effect.

For a very fancy effect, have sendmail route messages
to a script of yours that will build a database of
postings. Then, create a cgi script that will display
them on a pretty web page. Quite a bit of work, but it
would look nice and you could configure it to be exactly
what you wan't.

There is a learning curve here, but it is all pretty
intuitive once you figure out how scripting works.

--
--Jeffrey Straszheim
---Systems Engineer, Programmer

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy L. Buchmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I set up Linux to accept ftp sessions on a LAN?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 03:01:22 GMT

You need to have several things working for you:
 1) The port must be open (check /etc/services)
 2) You have to have an ftp daemon running, such as wu-ftp or pro-ftp.
   Check your /etc/inetd.conf
 3) Your ethernet interface must be up.  man ifconfig
 4) You must allow access from your NT machine.  The easiest way is to
   remove the restrictions placed in /etc/hosts.deny.  However, this will
   let anyone try to gain access...but if it's just on a small LAN, it
   probably isn't a big deal.

yft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have 2 PC set up on a LAN. One runs NT and the other runs RH Linux. I've
: got some big files on the NT PC that I wish to transfer over to the Linux
: PC. I've tried to set up FTP on the Linux system but without success.
: Everytime I try and connect from NT, I get a "connection closed by host"
: error.
: So far I've added the NT client IP and name in the /etc/hosts file and also
: the .allow file, but I still get the error. I log in as root or an ordinary
: user but I still get the same error. What have I missed out? Any ideas?
: Thanks in advance.
: Jon

------------------------------

From: Zuehl Joachim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cgi write permissions?
Date: 25 Mar 1999 11:48:01 GMT

C. Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having trouble setting up my cgi's so that they can write to files
> that are non-world rwriteable. I have to chmod 755 to allow them to write.
> How can ai get aound this horrible security risk

> /
> .

Hmmm..usually the scripts are executed by the WWW-user (often wwwrun or nobody).
So you have to give him/her execute right to the file and the directory.
If the script wants to write to a file you have to spend write-access to
the directory the script tries to write in.

Hope to help you,

regards,
Hauke Zuehl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:19:45 -0600
From: dhbrown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 10 Gb disk, Win98, and Linux

I spent much time trying to get a 10 Gb disk to attach to a Win 95
machine, and
finally gave up... the EZ-drive software wouldn't load... Then in Linux,
(2.0.35),
fdisk wouldn't even look at the drive--"can't read hda".  (Basic problem
was BIOS
would vs EZ-drive vs 1024 limit... etc.)

Finally, I put it in a machine with a recent system board, used LBA,
used MaxBlast
that came with drive to repartition, installed Win98 in a 1 Gb FAT16
partition, then
deleted the partitions in the Win98 Extended partition.  It does not
appear that
EZ-drive got installed, as there's no message as the system boots.

Linux fdisk seems not to recognize extended partitions created by
Win95/98.  So I
deleted, and recreated with Linux fdisk; set up my other partitions, and
installed
Linux okay.

But now in Win 98, it thinks the C: drive is 2 Gb--shows in both
"properties" and
when I run scandisk.  But the fdisk that comes with Win 98 shows 1 Gb.
Linux
fdisk shows approx 1 Gb.  Everything seems to work now.  But will Win98
keep writing
past 1 Gb?

Anybody else ever run into this?

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Jochen Amrehn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: thai/laotion linux distribution? (or support)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:26:03 +0700

Hi,

 I had a similar problem (Thai fonts in Linux). Now after long tries and
looking around:
1) there is a Thai Linux distribution that also includes the Thai fonts.
You can get it in Bangkok in Panthip Plaza (one of the big computer
"supermarkets" there) If I remember right it is on the 3rd floor - a big
shop in one of the corners. I don't remember the name of the shop but
they mostly sell hardware and also software.
I was not too impressed from the description on the package so I didn't
buy it.

I use (already for YEARs) SuSE Linux together with KDE-desktop. I
installed the xfstt (modified to include the special coding for Thai (it
is NOT pure ISO8859-1 !!) ) and can now under KDE use the Thai-TTF fonts
under X-windows. For non-X-applications there is a THAI-HOWTO text in
most distributions. They explain nicely how to set up Thai.
Unfortunately some parts are left out, but the given URL's in that text
tell you all that you must know.

Regarding software:
Wordperfect 8: Forget it !!!!!!!!!!!! The download version cannot
include new fonts.
Staroffice 50: If you convert the TTF fonts to postscript fonts
correctly - good
Applixware: Not tested, but should run smoothly
Gimp: excellent
KDE-Office: not tested yet but all KDE-Applications run fine so I see no
reason why it should not work, too

Now one tricky thing where I am still improving the system is printing.
To use ghostscript, you will have to again use the converted fonts (e.g.
use ttf2pt1)

URLs: thaigate.nacsis.ac.jp
      eagle.fedu.uec.ac.jp/ZzzThai/index.html
      www.thailinux.org/02tld.html

If you need more information or want the modified xfstt, send me an
email.

Hope that helps you

Jochen Amrehn

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adduser
Date: 26 Mar 1999 03:34:08 GMT

Lian PL wrote:

> I have just setup Linux in my Acer laptop. I logged in as root then tried
> to adduser.It would not allow me . The message is . command not known in
> the bash shell. Any advce from fellow Linuxes?
> plse email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

try:  useradd

------------------------------

From: Stirling Hamersley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Catch MicroSoft napping.
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:30:31 +0800

Do we see in linux a revolution in computing similar to the internet, in
terms of the rapid expansion leading to wide acceptance?

And is now the time we will see a reduction of dominance by MicroSoft?

In the Blue corner we have MicroSoft, just about to release Windows
2000, probably bug filled and even more resource hungry maybe causing
people to look for alternatives.  Coupled with the rumored new licensing
system forcing registration people will find they have to purchase more
licenses to upgrade the ones they thought they had but really didn't.  I
hate swapping money for crap software.

In the Red corner we have Linux. A street fighter. It is still just a
child but amazingly it has received some major support by way of
mainstream acceptance and sponsorship.

Will Linux be able to develop enough to be "accepted" as "user
friendly".  If it can and MicroSoft try to rush out Windoze 2000 before
it is ready who knows what will happen.

Nothing lasts forever.

Stirling.

--

(Please remove 'spamfree.' from the reply address.  Sorry for the
inconvenience)

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey L Straszheim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kde 'died'
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:43:48 -0500

Jason Rotunno wrote:

> i had just installed mandrake which auto installs x and kde and it was
> working fine.  i was using kppp (which was working ok) to connect to my
> isp when everything just froze.  i couldn't properly shut down so i had to
> shut my machine off.  then my phone started ringing which may be the
> reason for it freezing (didn't use *70).  regardless, now x won't start.
> after i type 'xstart' the grey screen pops up w/ the x, but it doesn't get
> any further.  i don't know where to begin troubleshooting this as i'm to x
> and kde.  anyone have any suggestions?

I can't say much, but it is possible that your .Xclients file got
clobbered. I sounds like X is starting, but that KDE is not. Logon
as the user then type "usekde" (w/o the quotes) and then try "startx".
This probably won't work, but it won't hurt and is quick. You may
have bombed your KDE setup also, in which case you might reinstall
just KDE. I don't know mandrake, so I can't suggest how that is done.