From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Hardware Flow Control
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:24:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Davis) wrote:

>I may not have any of this right because I am not an expert by any
>means.  Over my ppp connection I have severe packet loss.  I want to
>beleive is is because of flow control.  I have enabled hardware flow
>control in my modem init string.  Now i think that I need to enable in
>on my serial port (ext modem)  What would the command be to enable
>hardware flow control over my serial port, if this is even possible or
>would maybe help the situation.  Any help would be apprecieted.  And
>an email would also be appreciated.

Are you using the crtscts option when starting pppd? This is supposed
to enable hardware flow control.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Subject: How to configure smtp server for ISP?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:42:58 GMT

How do you supply the smtp server in a dynamic ISP?  I have the name of the
server (relay.force9.net)  but where does this go?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Crossposted-To: alt.folklore.computers,alt.usenet.kooks
Subject: Re: TAO: the ultimate OS
Date: 11 Jun 1999 20:14:25 GMT

Alexander Viro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <5uI73.910$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied to Vladimir Nuri,
: aka. M. Najtiv, aka L.D., aka [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
: >>i.e. "post your resume, bozo". no, I am not going to offer flamers fresh
: >>fodder. hahaha
: >
: >Usenet is filled with cranks.

: Oh, yes. And one you had replied to is one hell of interesting specimen.
: Check DN and check his website. Check net.legends FAQ, BTW.

Yep. I checked. You're right. He's a nutter. The dejanews search rapidly
leads one to

  http://www8.pair.com/mnajtiv

and theer he appears to announce himself as M.Najtiv.

: And 'The Internet Writer Resource Guide' (compare the language, style and
: ideas). Strictly speaking he is *not* a crank, he's a bloody accurate
: imitation. Chris, meet <drumroll> alter ego of L. Detweiler.

Don't understand the reference. Is this really the L. Detweiler of which
I have heard but never seen in action? Sheesh .. I've experienced Ludwig
Plutonium at first hand, and I thought that was OTT.

But, yes, he appears not to be actually stark raving out the window, but
merely subtly derranged.  His writings make syntactic sense, and the
logic in them is also correct (unlike LP), it just doesn't get anywhere.  He
obvously has a fair aptitude for mathematics and physics, but the papers of
his I can say I am qualified to referee are just undergraduate piffle.

: Or about cryptography. Or about Fermat. Or about Termination Problem.

Just so.  I've just got through reading about half of his termination
problem paper.  He points out that a turing machine is a finite state
machine run lots of times, so that the outputs are from the sequence
f^n(state_0) (fine ..  this is the usual starting point for formal
methods-based attacks ...).  Then he points out that the transitive closure
under f of any set of states x is [the reachable states] (my translation
into standard nomenclature) and that the halting problem consists of
asking of any initial state x if it is in the smallest transitive closed
set of states [= least fixed point].  He then says that just having a
computable function that says yes no or loops would be satisfactory.
and I'm about half way through the paper with those two sentences.  I
can't take the rest ..  too elementary, at snail's pace. Absolutely
worthless non-work.

: Or about new protocols. Or about evil elitists and censors on xxx.lanl.gov.

The latter, yes, I saw.

: In some kind of sense he knows what he is doing and knows it very well.
: And he had posted enough to reconstruct his resume. Yes, it is some fodder.
: Spend a couple of hours on search engines - his post-'95 exploits make
: a fascinating reading.

Indeed. This one's not the crank. It's "Viro".

And our friend probably wants to reference

 P.T. Breuer and J.P. Bowen.
 Decompilation: The enumeration of types and grammars.
 {\em {ACM} Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems
   ({TOPLAS})}, 16(5):1613--1647, September 1994.

(huh?  was it really 94?  I thought it was 95.  Oh well) where it is
shown that decompilation is turing complete, but that "it can usually be
done" and gives a decompilation algorithm that never halts provided the
object code could have been obtained from an infinite number of slightly
variant source codes. I.e. I probably know what I am talking about and
I believe "Viro" certainly doesn't.

Can I go back to lurking again, please! Is "Viro" really L.Detweiler then?

Peter T. Breuer                   MA CASM PhD. Ing., Asoc. Prof.
Area de Ingenieria Telematica     E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dpto. Ingenieria                  Tel: +34 91 624 91 80
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid  Fax: +34 91 624 94 30/65
Butarque 15, E-28911 Leganes      URL: http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb
Spain

------------------------------

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MS SQL ODBC for SYBASE
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:41:46 +0200

I have found something out concerning Syabse.

Alot of questions rose how people could use WIndows clients for Sybase.
The problem is, there is'nt a ODBC driver (feeley) available.

No I found out, thet the M$ SQLSRV32 driver works 100% correct with
Sybase. Not strange when you think that M$ has never ever invented
something themselvces, they only improved or changed ideas. Wich they
did with their MS SQL server wich uses the same socket protocoll as
Sybases.

The only thing that you have to do, is to setup the SYabse server to
listen on port 1433. This is the default port that the
MS SQL ODBC drivers try to attache to since this is the default
MS SQL server port.

I have tested it and it works great!
Sybase is great and specially when it is free and it runs on Linux

Raymond

------------------------------

From: "Emanuele Fabrizi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help for MODEM
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:24:31 +0200

I have an internal modem PCI called : SupraExpress 56i V PRO
make by DIAMOND.
Under Windows98 it works : Port = COM3
                                                Interrupt = 10
and the 'DOS Support' menu (under 'Propriety') says :
for DOS application :  COM Port = COM3
                                       Base Address(Hex) = 03e8
                                       IRQ = 4.

Under Linux (SuSE 5.3) the modem don't work.

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fsck.ext2 exited with signal 11?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:09:33 -0400

When the system starts up, it says warning...fsck.ext2 exited with
signal 11. Then it asks for the root password and drops me to a shell. A
manual fsck doesn't work either. I get the same error. What does signal
11 mean?

------------------------------

From: Prem Deol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: creating eject option for cdrom icon in KDE
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:29:32 -0700

Thanks for the quick response Peter, but I think I was misunderstood.
1)  I'm a linux newbie (I've used systems before, but never
admin/maintained).
2)

I'm not trying to create a new icon associated with a command line to
eject.
Instead, I am trying to add "eject" as an option to the right-click menu of
the
cdrom icon which was created by kde.

Currently, this right-click menu reads:

                Open with
                Copy
                Move to Trash
                Mount        --> Unmount (depending or whether mounted or
not)
                Properties

I'd like to have Eject as an additional option.
Also, pardon my lack of linux system knowledge, but how do I set the eject
command to be setgid root.cdrom?

Prem

------------------------------

From: Anthony DeLuca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shutting down as a normal user..
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:51:09 -0400

Thanks for your opinion, hudini.  I did respond hastily.  Andrew Halliwell , take my
apology and thanks for the advice.  But to tell a person that they acted hastily and
babbled was not needed, it made me feel like I should have not posted the question.
I tried looking for the answer and when I couldn't find it, I posted the question.
This is just my opinion, that is all.  I am not trying to have a pissing or bitching
contest here.  I just wanted some help that is all.  Have a nice day.

Tony

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:37:20 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!! NT + linux partition mkfs problem!!!

Justin Pelletier wrote:

> > Here's what I did:
> > I tried out the program to read the NTFS from linux,
> > and I typed:
> > mkntfs /dev/sda1
> > (which at the very least should have been /dev/sda2, the NTFS part.
> > I wish to read), and now I can't boot.
> > Simply stated: is my NT FAT partition completely trashed now?
>
> Unfortunately for you, you just formatted /dev/sda1 so everything on it
> is lost.
>
> > Any way to recover?
>
> I don't think so...

I don't too, but if you have someone who is a wizard for NTFS, then
preserve the current state of your partition by issueing the following
in linux (as root):
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=<dest> bs=512
or
dd if=/dev/sda1 bs=512 | gzip | dd of=<dest> bs=512
for compressed image.
That will save an image of the corrupted partition to <dest>, which
should be a device or file with enough free space. The reason that I
think that not all is lost is, that it is most likely that mkntfs has
not written to every single sector. So, depending on the robustness of
NTFS, it may be possible to recover important data (e.g. with a
hex-editor).

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: login restrictions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:29:58 GMT

How do I restrict a person from logging in as root?

Daryl Rose

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AIX UNIX
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:07:58 +0100

I used to work a lot with AIX. Nice system! You'll find it has X, a selection
of window managers and, already mentioned, SMIT. The latter is the linuxconf of
AIX and very powerful and easy to use indeed. Fear not, you'll feel as much at
home using AIX as I did when I first started using Linux a few months ago!

Ah, one small thing though: I believe AIX is a System V derivative as opposed
to the BSD origins of Linux (well, mostly anyway) so some commands have a
slightly different syntax (e.g. ps and the "printing" commands).

Mich.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 'ls' command: how to show all files in all directories?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jun 1999 15:41:37 -0400

Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Try: ls -lR

but that obscures the directory structure.  it's not lost but i find

Tmp/Bonnie/Bonnie.c
Tmp/Bonnie/Commentary
Tmp/Bonnie/Makefile
Tmp/Bonnie/Bonnie

to be more clear than

Tmp/Bonnie:
total 49
-rwxr-xr-x   1 jk       jk          19674 May 21 17:51 Bonnie
-rw-r--r--   1 jk       jk          19060 Aug 21  1991 Bonnie.c
-rw-r--r--   1 jk       jk           6658 May 21 18:07 Commentary
-rw-r--r--   1 jk       jk             45 Aug 21  1991 Makefile

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Stephen E. Watts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ghostscript 5.50 does not work after install
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:40:34 -0400

I am running SuSE 6.1.

I downloaded the following rpms from SuSE ftp:

gs_lib-5.50-0.i386.rpm
gs_both-5.50-0.i386.rpm
gs_fonts-5.50-0.i386.rpm

I installed them in that order using rpm -Uvh <filename>

Now I cannot edit the apsfilter in either Yast or
/var/lib/apsfilter/setup
(get message saying: "Attention: chosen printer driver not available
with installed ghostscript version: ").

Typing /usr/bin gs -v returns:
  "/usr/bin/gs: error in loading shared libraries
   libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory"

Printing using: cat <textfile> >/dev/lp0 works (although it does not
page feed).  All other attempts to print fail (no error messages, but
nothing happens).

-Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jaime Herazo B.)
Subject: Re: copying playstation roms...??
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:52:16 GMT

I remember seeing somewhere that the PSX CD-ROMs have a hidden blank
track that makes copying hard to do. Maybe you want to look for the
theory behind the PSX copying in general before finding out how to do
it in linux. I believe there are places in the emulation sites or even
the w*rez ones that have the info. Look for psxcopy on google or
something like it. Download it, and read the docs. Maybe this can help

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jaime Herazo B.)
Subject: Re: Linux |Going over 98
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:36:22 GMT

Just a suggestion: use the "custom" method. That way, you can control
the partitions at your will.

------------------------------

From: Bob Hauck <b o b h @ w a s a t c h . c o m>
Subject: Re: how do you change the IP address
Date: 11 Jun 1999 15:34:18 -0600

"Brent E. Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I installed Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 and configured the network settings

> Now I would like to change the hostname and IP address on the linux
> system.

Run "lisa" as root.  For hostname, go to:

        System Configuration->
                System Configuration->
                        Set Hostname
For IP address, go to:

        System Configuration->
                Network Configuration->
                        Configure Network Access->
                                Configure Network Card

You can do this by editing scripts manually, but lisa is easier.

--
 15:15:00 up 108 days,  4:33,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00