  Re: re-initialize mouse while X is running? (Jeff Davis)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:09:42 -0700

paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:CHGq5.21149$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Suppose the hard disk crashes.  I can buy another, and assuming I can lay
my
> hands on all my CDs, I can rebuild my machine yet again (losing only my
> unqiue work, if I failed to transfer it too to some external storage).
And
> I supply all the answers to all the decision points yet one more time.

Are you in the habit of discarding you installation media when you may still
need it in the future?

Once you have everything installed the way you want it just make a backup
copy of the installation and you are all set.  Under unix we already have a
couple of very complex and capable programs that can take care of the
situation that you have painted here.  They can work on a local host or with
the assistance of a couple of other very complex programs they can work
across the network even with multiple hosts on opposite sides of the planet
from each other.  They can backup any filesystem and any storage device, not
just the harddrive.  They can be used on non-unix hosts by using a floppy
based mini-unix installations.  What are these two programs?  They are "cat"
and "dd".  So do you really think preventing repeated reinstallations is so
complex?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (noodlez)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 2 "new" cdroms under Win98
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 02:45:09 GMT

i'm going with Glitch on this one...
don't cross post to so many damn newsgroups!! it's a waste of
bandwidth and energy for all these ppl to reply to ONE question.
go into linux and hit 'fdisk /dev/hda'
hit 'p' to print the parititon layout.  look at it: which partitions
are really Linux (ext2fs) and which are really Windows (FAT32)?
use the 't' command to change the label.  i.e. if hda5 is your linux
partition and it's marked as FAT32, hit 't', '5', 'b' ('b' is the
letter for 'WIN95 FAT32')
other than that, post to a win98 newsgroup, as windows, not linux, is
fucking up!

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:41:25 -0400, Gabriel Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just buy a new system..  And I install Linux on it
>(distribution Gentus (RedHat 6.2)).
>
>My system:
>
>CPU: AMD 800MHz
>Motherboard: ABIT KA7-100
>RAM:  128M
>HD:  Matrox 20G, ATA-100
>     Partitions (created with Partition Magic 4):
>          7G:  Fat32 with Win98 Second Edition       Primary
>
>Extended
>          2G:  Fat32
>Logical
>          9G:  Linux ext2  mount as "/"                          Logical
>
>          2G:  Linux ext2  mount as "/home"                  Logical
>          257M:  Linux Swap
>Logical
>Graphic Card:  Matrox G400 Max
>CDRW:  Plextor 12x/10x/32x
>DVD:  PC-DVD Encore 12x with Dxr3 (Creative Labs)
>
>My problem:
>
>Under Win98, in Explorer Windows, I have two more visible CDROMs, that I
>should not see.
>
>Before the installation:
>
>Visible under Win98:
>
>C:\   -> Win98 7G
>D:\   -> Fat32 2G
>E:\   -> Fat32 will be "/" under Linux 9G
>F:\   -> Fat32 will be "/home" under Linux 2G
>G:\   -> Fat32 will be "swap" under Linux 257M
>H:\   -> CDRW Plextor 12x/10x/32x
>I:\   -> DVD
>

>After the installation:
>
>Visible under Win98:
>
>C:\   -> Win98 7G
>D:\   -> Fat32 2G
>E:\   -> New CDROM
>F:\   -> New CDROM
>H:\   -> CDRW Plextor 12x/10x/32x
>I:\   -> DVD
>
>This problem makes my system very unstable when I try to get access to
>my real CDROM (CDRW;DVD) and this is not interesting to see.
>
>On my old system, I had this problem and I solve it by putting my swap
>partition the last one of my disk.  This seems to do not work on this
>system.
>
>So if you have a idea how to solve my problem without playing at erasing
>and installing Linux/Win98 multiple times (by tries and errors).
>
>I know that this question should have been already asked somewhere...
>but I did not find any traces of it.
>
>Thank you very much ! Have a nice day !
>
>Gabriel Gagnon
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

noodlez :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ # :: 10537000
PGP / GPG key downloadable @ http://www.megahertz.net/pietrzak/gpg.ascii.pubkey.txt
        Fingerprint: 0EE8 0DBB EB08 C472 2EA4  27C1 93AF 0484 9A40 9D9D

------------------------------

From: "David Emmett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding files
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:55:40 +1000

"Dux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> What is the best way to locate files if you don't know their paths.
> Ta.

Try the "find" command.  for eg.  "find / -name filename -print" will search
from / looking for file called filename.  Beware - very I/O intensive.

Cheers :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:10:45 GMT

There's nothing magic about xml, as others have pointed out.  Despite
all the current hype, it's really just SMGL lite--25 year old
technology chopped down to a manageable size & warmed over.  The only
reason people thinks it's hot is 'cause it has 'X' in its name.

Though it's got no technical advantage over other file formats, it does
have some value due to the hype--there's some consensus for it, so it's
a kind of lingua franca.  A big disadvantage over other formats is that
it's so verbose--data files typically grow by an order of magnitude
when converted to xml format.

It's already being used for configuration files & deployment
descriptors--something like what you're describing.  It's descriptive
enough & it works.  I admit that I use xml frequently because, all else
being equal, it's what everybody else thinks is new & hot & sexy.    So
people think our software is cool 'cause it use xml.  & like I said,
it's no disadvantage that it works & you can get free parsers for it
from IBM & Sun & Oracle etc.

But it doesn't solve any new problems.  The biggest pain in the ass in
installing new software on an existing system is the interaction with
the software & hardware configuration that is already there.
That's the tough part & xml doesn't help with that.  That's the job
that install programs do.

In article <3q1p5.14319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "paul snow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here is a few observations:
>
> Linux on the desktop (and as a server) requires it to beat Windows
XXX hands

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVENT: Linux Users' Group of Davis, September 5 - More Perl
Crossposted-To:
ucd.general,sac.announce,sacramento.internet,sac.general,sac.internet,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:25:09 GMT

LUGOD, The Linux Users' Group of Davis, will hold its next meeting on:

  Tuesday
  September 5, 2000
  6:30pm

The meeting will be held at:

  Z-World, Inc.
  2900 Spafford Street
  Davis, CA 95616

The topic will be:

  "More Perl"
  presented by Micah Cowan

    Perl is one of the most popular scripting languages for Unix and Linux.
    It takes the best features from languages such as C, awk, sed, sh and
    BASIC, and supports both procedural and object-oriented programming.

    Perl is Open Source (ie, completely free), and is used heavily to provide
    interactivity on websites.  It works well with database software,
    such as Oracle, Sybase, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

    Micah spoke on Perl basics at LUGOD's last meeting, and due to
    popular demand, was invited to continue his informative presentation!

For details on this meeting, maps, directions, public transportation
schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

LUGOD is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
Linux Operating System which meets twice a month in Davis, CA.
Please visit our website for details:

  http://www.lugod.org/

                                    ###

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koos Pol)
Subject: Re: Filtering spam with procmail
Date: 29 Aug 2000 06:47:57 GMT

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:02:32 -0400, Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Could someone please tell me what I need to put in my .procmailrc if I
| want to forward all mail from .edu, .gov and .org domains to another
| account of mine, say foo.umd.edu, and reject (send back, not delete)
| all others?
|
| Thanks,
| Ramin Sina

Read the examples from the manpages:
man procmailex

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

From: Jeff Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: re-initialize mouse while X is running?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:54:35 GMT

Try just switching out of the X session, and then back in. If you are at
the machine itself, this can be done by 'ctl-alt-F1' (to get into a
terminal, without exiting anything), and then immediately switching back
with 'ctl-alt-F7'

Hope it helps,
Jeff Davis