From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux Workstations in an NT domain -- how to do it?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:10:58 GMT

"jdn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have someone who wants to add Linux Workstations to an NT domain.  I'm
>very comfortable working with NT in a network environment, but I only have
>real experience with Linux as a desktop OS (running it in my multi-boot
>system for about 8 months).

SAMBA is what you'll need. Add the name of the Linux system into the NT's
LMHOSTS files, or use SAMBA's built-in WINS capabilities.

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: What's wrong with my Linux Box
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:09:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Hi,

>Just installed RH5.2 on my Celeron 400. Entire system frozen so oftenly (every
>15 minutes on average). And here is the seg of log file:

>Mar 26 10:17:22 mickey kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
>virtual address ce3e0ea7 Mar 26 10:17:22 mickey kernel: current->tss.cr3 =

[200+ lines of logfiles deleted]

>Could anyone please tell me what is going on? What should I do to fix this.

[...]

Bad RAM or an overheated CPU . Get some known-to-be-good components
from another machine and start experimenting.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Michael Jones)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: good linux books?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 11:15:02 GMT

I have just installed RedHat linux 5.2 on my computer (the
CD arrived today) and after some initial troubles, I have
got it working properly.  Now, what I would like to know
what are some really good books on Linux, especially RedHat?

I find the various howTo's etc. moderately (though not
very) useful, and I don't want to sit at my computer
combing through countless webpages looking for those
rare nuggets of info that are actually useful.  And
I don't want to have to memorize everything that _might_
be important, or waste my printer's paper and ink trying
to setup every little thing.  I also want to be able to
get an overall "teaching" on everything I need to know,
not just one little thing at a time.

To give some background on me, I have a lot of experience
with many types of operating systems (including various
unix variants), but I do not have experience in being a
sysadmin on a unix machine (setting up hardware, servers,
etc.).  One thing I am struggling through right now
is getting X-window up and running.  I can bumble
through and do stuff, but I'd rather get the knowledge
and learn how to do it right and deal with _real_
problems (instead of my not knowing how everything
works).

So, if anybody has any recommendations, your help is
welcommed.

Chris Jones

My Web Page - "http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~cjones/web/"

------------------------------

From: Carsten Jahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Filesystem action snooper?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:26:14 +0100

sometimes I=B4d like to know what=B4s going on on my harddisk. For exampl=
e,
Netscape sais that it can=B4t write the bookmark file. What I=B4m searchi=
ng
for is a tool that writes a protocol of all file accesses (open/close,
read/write, location of file and result) to a window or to a file.

It could be very helpful to understand how programs work and why they
don=B4t work.

(On the Amiga there is a tool called SnoopDOS doing this kind of work.)

Does anyone know about such a tool?

Yours,
Carsten Jahn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Auto dial-ISP and auto-FTP download
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:39:52 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:28:27 +1000, Jesus M. Salvo Jr.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm failry a new Linux user. I have basically set my config the way I
>wanted it. I then get to download lots of linux apps, but I  I want to
>FTP-download the files at a scheduled time. I know I need cron, pppd,
>and ftp. But is there a way to login and download from an ftp server if
>and only if a dial-up connection was successful?

First get your ppp working from the command line.  (I think from
the tone of your post you may already have achieved this).

Wrap that into another script that does the following after the
PPP dialup is done:

    /sbin/ifconfig | grep ppp0 || exit 1

Instead of that "exit 1" you can do other things, like looping to
re-try the PPP connection, etc.

Then, use ncftp to get stuff from the other place.  Most Linux
distros have it.  ncftp is great for automating ftp downloads, and
can be made to work even with non-anonymous sites.

Yes - using the $HOME/.netrc file, even ordinary ftp can be used
automatically, but IMHO ncftp makes it even easier.  "man ncftp"
and read about it's "colon mode", specifically made for using in
shell scripts.

If you need more detailed help feel free to email me, since I
follow this ng erratically.

Like many things, there's more than one way to do it - this is
just one way I use.  "man pppd" will also tell you about using the
/etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down scripts.  These are more
suitable for doing something *every time* you connect with PPP.

Your post doesnt sound like you want to do this every single time.
If that's what you want, then the two files above are the way to
go.  Then you just put the PPP dial-up command in cron; as soon as
the connection happens pppd will execute the script
/etc/ppp/ip-up.

------------------------------

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xview under RH5.x
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:50:57 +0000

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Alan Gauld wrote:

> I'm running RH5.1 and seem to have lost the xview libraries
> and the olwm. textedit etc. - Even though the fvwm default
> setup still has textedit as a menu item!
>
> Will the RH4.2 rpm still work under RH5? (glibc issues maybe?)
>
> Despite all the new WMs, KDE, Gnome etc I still prefer xview
> scrollbars and buttons :-)

I believe you'll find RPMs for it in contrib.redhat.com/libc6

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: "Tom Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adduser
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:29:14 -0000

Hi

linux, like other Unix variations does not include the current directory in
the path. therefore check that the path statement includes the location of
the program you wish to execute.

Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: **Trouble with "make"
Date: 27 Mar 1999 12:08:01 GMT

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:17:46 -0500,
Daniel Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i'm having a lot of problems with making some projects to run under X. make
>says i need "Xlib.h" and "xmp.h".....where can i get these??? i thought i
>installed all the libraries that came with Red Hat, but make still can't
>find these libs.....
>i tried "find"ing them, but no success either.....
>
>thanks in advance...
>
>Dan

I think you need the dev libs for X, just install them :))

Terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED] ****
   My Computer is powered by GNU-LINUX, and has been

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WindowMaker 0.5.2 and asclock...
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:33:41 GMT

Hi all...

I downloaded, compiled and installed WindowMaker 0.5.2 last night, but now I
have a few problems...

I'm using RedHat 5.2... previously, I'd had WM 0.2.? installed on the system.
 asclock was running on the wharf and all was kewl... now, tho... When I start
windowmaker, asclock is nowhere to be found. I downloaded a new version,
compiled it, but wasn't able to figure out how to get it onto the wharf...
wouldn't dock...

Anyway... if anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it... I'm about
ready to go to AfterStep... =0

Thanks...

j.

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Database library for C++ Linux (gcc)
Date: 27 Mar 1999 08:14:30 +0000

"No Spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have removed from the Newsgroups: line all the newsgroups in which
this was irrelevant (except one, since your post was off-topic
everywhere you crossposted it.  Followups set to
comp.os.linux.development.apps).

> I am looking for a database library for C++ for linux.

See the PostgreSQL-HOWTO.  Alternatively, "info gdbm" for something
different.

> I am also looking for advice on a book for C++ that is specific to
> Linux.

Why?

> I was also wondering if it is possible to write a C++ program that would
> make use of x-window features.

You mean "X" or "The X Window System" or "X11".  See "man X".

Of course this is possible.  The Blackbox window manager is, for
example, a C++ program that uses X.  KDE is a whole set of such
programs.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL vs BSD license agreement (source code reuse)
Date: 27 Mar 1999 08:35:57 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JR) writes:

> One thing for sure, I (think) I have learned a lot about what the GPL
> and BSD licensed agreements stand for.  I was really surprised to find
> out that they were THAT different.   Let alone that they are at such
> opposing sides. I am still a little fuzzy about how GNU fits into the
> picture.

They don't so much oppose each other, as have different goals.

> I must agree with the many who posted in this thread that we can live
> with both of them.  Like the democrats and the republicans must do at
> times -- agree to disagree.  However, like many facets of life, we
> must choose sides or else we get shot at from both sides.

Not at all.  I have published work under both licenses (in one case,
even two different parts of the same work).

> It might be interesting that at first I agreed more with the GPL way
> of licensing free software,  but after understanding more about it, I
> am leaning more towards the BSD way.  And here is why:

I shall play Devil's Advocate, then :-)

> 1) Most things in life are not free.  Period. Final. Indisputable.

This is a fact.  But is this the way that the world *ought* to be?

> Then why should software be? Books aren't free.

This is mostly true, but is it right?  Look at works like those of
Mark Twain.  Those are free, in a useful and practical sense; they are
out of copyright.  You can make copies of them for any purpose
(e.g. you can give them out on a street corner, in a school,
whatever).

However, leaving fiction, we have textbooks, manuals etc.  Obviously
therre is a great benefit to the reader of those being freely
copyable.  They can (e.g.) photocopy bits of manual and stick them on
the affected equipment, etc.

Also, please be careful to distinguish free-costs-nothing and
free-as-in-freedom.

> Even if you borrow one from the library, taxes are paid to give one
> that privilege.

So it must be right, then, if the government forces you to pay for it.

> 2) Given the constraint in paragraph (1)

What that you have to pay money for some things?  It's not a universal
law of nature.

> no end user should complain about free software whether it is
> licensed under GPL or BSD.  Regardless, it's a freebie!  Hence, we
> CAN live with both.  So IMO the end user has nothing to do with the
> decision as to how to license free software.

Nobody said we couldn't live with both.

> 3) What motivation is there for creating new software?

People want computers to do stuff.  This will always be the case.

> If all developers were forced to use GPL, not very much.

This is proof by assertion.

> If that were the case, new software would only come from those
> programmers that compare good code to art.  Pushing and popping
> registers, in my opinion is not an art, it is a discipline.

Look to a higher level.  Consider design.  The design of large systems
is not called "architecture" for nothing.

> 4) Most all things are learned from the experience of others.  There
> is only so many variations that one can code a given algorithm. If you
> take the GPL to an extreme (or for that matter the copyright law to an
> extreme) there is very little low level stuff you can do in code
> without infringing on someones rights.

You're either clouding the issue or you don't understand it.  Unless
your work is actually *derived* from someone else's, copyright law has
nothing to say (i.e. a copyright is not a patent).

> Just because I learned how to code a particular algorithm in a
> particular language with one employer, and then reuse that same
> knowledge with another employer, does not mean that my current
> employer must pay my ex-employer royalties.

Quite so.  This is true no matter what license everybody is using.

> At least this is the way I perceive what this issue is about --
> pieces and chunks of code.  And more than likely anyone that has
> ever "lifted" pieces of code has modified it in one way or another
> --- yet it is not their original code.  I guess what I am saying is,
> like or not GPL'ers your code ends up in non GPL software.

Some of this use, but not much, comes under "fair use".

> 5) Therefore, the argument I am making is that if you take GPL to an
> extreme, BSD wins by default.

"Wins"?  What, is there a race of some kind?

> Of course I can chose not to use either -- I could roll my own, I
> could release my code without any license agreement or copyright at
> all,

.. in which case, nobody at all would legally be able to copy or
distribute it.

[...]

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.unix.wizards,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: HELP! Need data from BAD Floopy!
Date: 27 Mar 1999 07:47:05 +0000

Moritz Barsnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Andrew Gierth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > If he has two identical copies of the disk, both bad (which seemed to
> > be what he was implying), then careful use of dd might enable the data
> > to be recovered (unless the same blocks are bad on both disks).
>
> IIRC, `dd' demands to read through its input.

Use conv=noerror.

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 00:05:11 +0000

Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Sal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> How can starting up a computer damage it?  Please explain.
> >
> >The biggest stress that many of the components face in their
> >lifetime is initial power on.
>
> I read that the only component that could be damaged by a wrong
> software setting is the monitor (if you set a wrong
> resolution/refresh rate on the video card) Is this true?

Years ago, you used to be able to blow up the 6845 by programming it
in a certain way.  You don't see 6845 chips any more :-).   There was
another device in the IBM PC that you could program to draw much less
current and use this to (eventually) blow the voltage regulator.  Then
there were the early 3.5" drives which you could persuade to drive the
head to cylinder 80 or 81 :-)

These days, there probably exist machines on which you can set the CPU
supply voltage in software.  Expensive :-)

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tar __It won't!?!?!
Date: 27 Mar 1999 07:51:37 +0000

"Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, tar is waiting for you to switch on your tape drive.

Nope:-

$ strace tar x
[...]
geteuid()                               = 101
umask(0)                                = 022
umask(022)                              = 0
brk(0x8069000)                          = 0x8069000
fstat(0, {st_mode=S_ISVTX|0401, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
stat("/dev/null", {st_mode=0403, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
read(0,  <unfinished ...>

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fortune and a.out !
Date: 27 Mar 1999 08:18:49 +0000

"Mitchell Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can someone tell me how to run my progs in SuSE 6.0 "a.out"  is not
> recognised. ("cc" or "gcc" compiles)

To run /usr/bin/foo, type /usr/bin/foo, which is its path name.  If
/usr/bin is in $PATH, you can also type just "foo".  To run a program
called foo in the current directory ("."), use its path name,
"./foo".  So the short answer to your question is "./a.out".

> How do I invoke the fortune cookies to start at log-in ? (where are the
> fortune cookies? !(/usr/bin/fortune)

Close.  /usr/games/fortune, usually.  Games historically live in
/usr/games, unless they are X games, which usually live in
/usr/X11R6/bin.

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 07:28:52 -0500
From: Alan Alfonso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Refresh Rate?

Hello,

I was wondering if it is at all possible to find out what refresh rate
my monitor is being driven at while at a shell prompt. If it is
possible, is there any way I can change it?
I am currently running Debian 2.0 on a Cyrix 166 machine with a 1MB
Trident 9440 and a Polarus(basically no-name ) monitor.

Any help would be appreciated. :-)
Alan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: sendming mail with sendmail & fetchmail
Date: 27 Mar 1999 12:22:55 GMT

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:49:37 +0800, average <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i may have this set up wrong but my maillog tells me that it is sending
>mail using sendmail. in my start up scripts i call fetchmail -d and use
>fetchmailrc in home dir.
>but it works and thats not the problem for now
>
>my problem is when i send mail to my isp it has my local login name
>@isp.com.
>i have looked into /etc/sendmail.cf & /etc/sendmail.cw for the field to
>change my outgoing mail address to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>at this point in time i have to telnet to my isp to use thier mail
>software to send my mail
>
>barry

A simple method is to just create a user account for yourself thats the same
as your isp login, and use that to send your email etc.

I got around this by purchasing a static ip no for m my isp provider :)

terry
-