From: Norvell Spearman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: SCSI, RAID controllers, Linux. . .
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:27:02 -0600

The company I work for has a server which originally was going to run
SCO OpenServer 5, but may end up running Linux instead.  The server has
a DPT PCI SCSI PM2044U controller, with a DPT RC4040 RAID controller
attached to it.  I found on RedHat's website that the DPT PM2044 is
supported (don't know if the `U' on the end matters), but couldn't find
anything for or against the RAID controller---I've heard that ``not
listed = not supported.''

We already have SCO installed on the server (on one huge partition) and
so we started installing RedHat Linux 5.1 to see how it goes.  We got to
fdisk and it *seemed* to recognize the RAID array:  it showed up as
/dev/sda4, with GNU HURD as the file system type.  This is where we
stopped.

So the main question is this:  Does Linux actually recognize the RAID
array (what is a GNU HURD fs?), and are there any Linux utilities
available for reporting on the status of/repairing a RAID array?

Many thanks for any help with this. . .

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To reply, remove my opinion about
unwanted e-mail from my address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:19:40 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>    Richard> And I thought IBM created the hardware and made the specs
>    Richard> available so other companies could clone the boxes and
>    Richard> create a popular machine?
>
>    Richard> Windows rode on the coattails of the IBM-compatible PC,
>    Richard> not the other way around...
>
>I don't think so.  IBM was dead in the water without DOS.

What does the popularity of DOS have to do with Windows?  DOS was a
necessity for various circumstantial reasons.  Windows spread widely
not because it had apps, or because it had much merit, but because
there were lots of PCs.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Fonts still microscopic on Netscape
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Jan 1999 22:57:15 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In article <77hdi5$vet$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > My screen is 1152 x 864 on a 17" monitor.  I would think that
> > wouldn't bee too
> > much of a deal...
>
> On a 17" you should run 1024x768 or less unless you want to go
> blind.

why do you say that?  i mean, there really isn't any reason not to
have higher resolution and simply use fonts which display at a decent
size for viewing.  if you monitor and video card both support the
higher resolution, then there ought to be fonts to go along with it.
having equipment able to do 1152x864 on a 17" at a decent refresh rate
isn't all that uncommon anymore.

--
Johan Kullstam [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Don't Fear the Penguin!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:16:01 -0800
From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for libjpeg.so.6

Kyle R Maxwell wrote:

> When trying to install WindowMaker-0.14.1-2.i386.rpm on a RedHat 5.1
> distribution, I get the failed dependency message "libjpeg.so.6 is
> needed by WindowMaker-0.14.1-2". I can't seem to locate this rpm, and
> other JPEG library installations don't seem to do the trick. Anybody
> know where I can get it?
>
> --
> Kyle Maxwell
> Lead Internet Installer
> The Beam

On my system it comes out of:

libjpeg-devel-6a-1

HTH.

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

------------------------------

From: Stefan Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Put Linux on existing D parition?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:12:40 +0100

On 14 Jan 1999, Charles Packer wrote:

> I bought a used Compaq Deskpro that already has the hard drive
> partitioned to a C and D logical drives. Am I going to be able
> to put Linux on the existing D parition without disturbing
> Windows 95 or anything else on the C drive?

Yup!

/Stefan

--
Stefan Berg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 14 Jan 1999 18:36:07 -0800

> > I'm curious..... what was the "idea" with
> > developing DOS anyway??
> >
> > I mean...... why couldn't have an operating system
> > like Linux be developed a LONG time ago and used
> > on the early PC's and DOS could have never
> > existed??
> >
> > Was DOS the only way to get an OS on such machines
> > back then??
> >
> > I mean DOS is an OS that has been stripped of
> > networking, multi-tasking, etc... right??

OK, first off, DOS was put onto a very very small machine.  Most PC's
back then were 8-bit computers with a max of 64K RAM.  You do not put
something like Linux on that, period.  The IBM PC was more advanced
than this though, but not much more.  It used the 8088 which had a
larger instruction set, and could address more ram (but as a set of
segments each 64K long).

Now, given that it was a bit more advanced than micros, it could have
done something more fancy.  However, it wanted to be a lot like CP/M,
which was a popular OS for 8 and 16 bit micros at the time; thus there
was a marketting decision to go for familiarity rather than strike new
trails.  But the deal with CP/M fell through and IBM went to Microsoft
for a solution, and Microsoft went to a third party and bought the
rights to an existing OS for the 8088 that was vagely CP/M like.

However, the basic point - something like Linux is extremely hard to
get on such a machine.  But Linux evolved from Minix, and Minix would
fit on smaller machines, but it was a tight squeeze.  Minix was
developed several years after IBM released the PC though.  There was
also Xenix, but it was underpowered, and I don't know how well it
performed on an 8088 with 512K or 640K of ram.

A main feature that makes Linux such a huge advantage over Minix, is
that it supports virtual memory.  An 8088 chip just can't support that
very well at all.  None of the common less expensive micro CPU's in
'81 could do virtual memory either.  Yes, it could be supported badly,
and the wierd 808x segments could have helped a bit.  But something
resembling a real UNIX needed something beefier under the hood, which
was available with the 386.  In fact, the rational for Linus Torvalds
to create Linux, was to modify Minix to take advantage of the extra
power a 386 gave.

But there were still things IBM and Microsoft could have done
differently.  They could have tried to create a new direction and come
up with something other than a bare bones OS that tried to emulate
CP/M.  But ram was expensive, and the more space the OS took up, the
less space was available for applications.  And there weren't any
suitable examples to go off of.  Second, DOS could have been improved
over time in more substantial ways to take advantage of additional
power in the 286 and 386.  Microsoft tried really late in the game
with OS/2, but that was a complete replacement of DOS, not a fixing of
it.

Microsoft we can forgive, since they're not innovators, but IBM has a
record of innovation and research, and could have done something
better if they'd have though the microcomputer revolution was more
than just a passing fad.

--
Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

------------------------------

From: Kaustav Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Anti-aliased fonts
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:38:33 +0000

<slap the man, wish he'd shuddup>
I just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2.  It works great. Being a long time
Risc OS (Acorn) user I miss the availability of a system wide/GUI
standard for use of anti-aliased fonts.  Is there a way (a WM? or
something) of getting fonts to anti-alias under X or another WM?  I
remember reading somewhere that there was a way of doing this?
</slap the man, wish he'd shuddup>  ;-)

<on no, here he goes again>
Besides, whilst WindowsNT/98's font smoothing is primitive in comparison
to Acorn's old Risc OS font anti-aliasing system, it would be really
nice to have some form of the most basic font smoothing on my Linux
desktop.  i.e all the fonts in my WM's gadgets (i.e. the title bar etc),
the fonts in my applixware WP and SS's, the fonts in my all my console
windows and xterms and basically EVERYTHING!
</on no, here he goes again>

Kozzey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hunter)
Subject: Compaq LTE5400
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:56:41 GMT

Does anyone have an XF86Config that will work on my compaq lte5400?
If so....help me please!!!!!

Thanks

If we are alone, it's an awful waste of space!

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.0pre7 kernel installation questions
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:45:54 -0500

Rafe Colburn wrote:

> I'd like to
> upgrade to compile and install the latest development kernel...
>  I've installed most of the upgrades that I need, but I have a few
> questions before I go on:
>
>  How do I tell if I have the correct version of Loadlin?  The documentation
> says version 1.6a is required, but doesn't explain how you get the version
> number.

Shouldn't there be documentation somewhere in your RedHat distro,
giving the loadlin version?  Note that you don't need this anyway if
you use lilo instead.

>  PCMCIA and PPP - The box I'm using does not need PCMCIA or PPP (it's not a
> laptop, and it doesn't have a modem).  Do I need to worry about
> installing/updating these?

No.

>  Util-Linux - I downloaded a more recent version of Util-Linux, but there
> are some pretty stern warnings in the README file.  It says that you
> probably shouldn't install all of the components of util-linux, but only
> the ones that you need...

As I recall, you edit a file named MCONFIG to say what you already
have, and therefore don't need from util-linux.  With a newish
RedHat, you probably want to say you HAVE already all the optional
stuff.

>  It also says that version 2.1.121 of the Kernel modules are required, and
> that you can find out the version using 'insmod -V'.  I'm not sure what to
> run insmod -V on though.  Also, I'm not sure where to get updates to the
> modules that I have.

You don't run it "on" anything.  Just type "insmod -V".  You will
make updated modules when you make your new kernel.  ("make modules",
"make modules_install").

>  I did download version 2.1.121 of modutils, but it says in the README that
> they must be compiled under a 2.1.x kernel.  Is this what I need to
> upgrade, and do I need to install a 2.1.x kernel, and compile and install
> the modutils before I can move to the most recent kernel?

Sound like a chicken and egg thing?  You should be able to compile
the new modutils under your existing kernel, build the new kernel
and boot it, then -- if necessary -- recompile the modutils under
the new one.  Possibly helpful: build the modutils while running
the old kernel but using the kernel headers from the new.  I.e.
move your old /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.0.36, untar the
new kernel source in /usr/src/linux, and compile modutils.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UID Question
Date: 14 Jan 1999 23:02:04 -0500

simon jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
SJ> I appologise if this is the wrong group,
SJ> How many UID's does Linux support I need a UID of 85000 but my Version
SJ> of Redhat does not support it is there a version that does?

I believe Linux supports uids up to 65535.  Most Unices support uids
up to either that number or to 32767, so it surprises me that you
"need" a uid that large.  What are you really trying to do?

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called
\_____________________________/

------------------------------

From: Ulf Bohman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo problem
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:21:25 +0100

Try booting off a floppy and run /sbin/lilo

/Ulf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima)
Subject: Re: other libc6 in RedHat than in SuSE?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:57:18 GMT

Karl Schmid ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,

: here is what I guess is a typical linux newbie question:

: I installed a package of programs for comparing DNA sequences that were
: compiled for linux RedHat5.1. When I start any of these programs, I get the
: following messages:

: (the name of the program is blastp)

: ./blastp: error in loading shared libraries
: /usr/i486-linux-libc6/lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol: _dl_profile

: The person who compiled the program told me that my SuSE 5.3 distribution
: may use a different libc6 library.

: Is there any way to get around this problem?

Basically ask the programmer what version Of libc6 (glibc2) you should have
and get that version from sunsite.unc.edu (or closest mirror).

There may also be a copy of the required version og glibc avail for SuSe BUT
you'd need to check out the SuSe site for that

HTH Tony.

------------------------------

From: "G. Frank Paynter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Resolution, Monitors, more help heeded!!!!
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:09:19 -0500

Gary,

typically (almost always) it is the "accelerated" screen section you want.

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:53:27 GMT

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  Patrick
O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Ambassador KosH wrote:
>
> > who gives a rat's ass what the public thinks? the majority of the people
polled
> > (not necessarily the general public) think clinton shouldn't be removed from
> > office, but he still commited crimes that would get the average joe around
5-15
> > years or more in jail under federal law. Just because part or most of the
> > public likes the person on trial doesn't mean that the law should overlook
the
> > issue because they are popular.
>
> Well said...for THIS reason both Reagan and Bush, both committing FAR, FAR
> greater and grave offenses against the Constitution and the rule of law
> (Iran-Contra, violating the Bowling Amendment, etc, lying under oath...)
> should have been nailed to the wall, impeached and jailed.
>
> As for what the public thinks, it DOES matter.  If the public didn't give
> a whit for linux then there would be no commercial software provided for
> linux.  No games, ever (the minor-league old style, primative little toys
> like galaga, solitaire, etc, do NOT count...I'm talkin' REAL, technically
> polished and advanced games like Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Battlespire,
> etc).

What the heck does support for a os have to do with support in a court case?
May I remind you that even though the public largely thought that OJ Simpson
was guilty yet he was found innocent. There is no question of whether or not
he commited the crimes he is accused of what the Parliament has to decide is
wether or not these crimes are bad enough to remove the presiedent and put
the country in chaos. A lot of other countries like Iraq might use the
opportunity of the country being in chaos and strike back at the US. Are the
crimes he commited bad enough to put the security of the country under
jepardy?

Of course these are my openions they don't neceseraly have to be tru and even
if they are you don't have to believe in them.

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Cannot talk to /dev/cua1, which is a modem (and NOT a winmodem).
Date: 14 Jan 1999 18:51:27 -0800

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: 14 Jan 1999 18:25:01 -0800

    Alexander> BUT. You felt possible to learn *not* on the local
    Alexander> net. It's quite easy to wreak a havoc on the net
    Alexander> experimenting with it. *Without* any evil intents.

    >>  What local net?  I have one computer and you're telling me
    >> that I

    Alexander>  Damn it. Find somebody else using Linux and set the
    Alexander> SLIP connection up.

Hell, talk sense. Now I'm supposed to go out and hassle some guy who
doesn't even know me into setting up a network over the phone with me
so I can tie up his system and time learning how to configure my
system to receive mail.

Hey, it could happen.  Monkeys might fly out my nose, too.

    >> fetchmail, pppd and pine until they've taken a college course
    >> in unix system administration.

    Alexander>  Gee... I never seen college courses in UNIX SA, but I
    Alexander> bloody *know* that they are *not* only ways to learn.

Doh!  Yeah, the way to learn is by firing up your system and trying to
put into practice the things you're reading about in your books,
manpages and HOW-TOs.

    Alexander>  Sigh... I don't know Earthlink people. I don't know
    Alexander> (or care) WTF they are running. I have no f*cking
    Alexander> objections against learning by doing, but there are
    Alexander> *simple* things to consider before doing. Like, what
    Alexander> things are dangerous. Or what things are safe. Or just
    Alexander> a general idea of WTF happens. You wouldn't learn to
    Alexander> deal with mountaint skis with no idea of what is what,
    Alexander> right? Or drive the car, for that matter.  Why when it
    Alexander> comes to computers people ignore the common sense?

What's common sense about going around with your hand out, expecting
everybody else to help you?  There's too much of that already, as far
as I'm concerned.  "Common sense" is working things out on your own
and then asking for help when you can't get them right.

You assumed, as far as I'm concerned without provocation, that
whatever that guy did had to be wrong.  You assumed that the Earthlink
people were entirely justified in their response.  Where's the common
sense in that?  That's just plain prejudice.

mp

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

- --
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org
                         Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Mohr)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 14 Jan 1999 13:45:00 GMT

Arthur ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> One comment I remember from Killdall was to ask Gates
> why a certain system call returned a '$' - there was
> no apparent reason for it to do so in the code, but
> MS/PC-DOS did it just like CP/M did.

> Arthur
wine990110/msdos/int21.c:

    case 0x09: /* WRITE STRING TO STANDARD OUTPUT */
        TRACE(int21,"WRITE '$'-terminated string from %04lX:%04X to stdout\n",
              DS_reg(context),DX_reg(context) );
        {
            LPSTR data = CTX_SEG_OFF_TO_LIN(context,DS_reg(context),
            EDX_reg(context));
            LONG length = strchr(data,'$')-data;
            _hwrite16( 1, data, length);
            AL_reg(context) = '$'; /* yes, '$' (0x24) gets returned in AL */
        }
        break;

That one ? ;-)

--
Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: "Douglas A. Haines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Problems with 'make'
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:10:35 +0000

Hi folks,
I'm trying to get network support running on my Linux box (kernel
2.0.34) and when I run 'make config' I get the following cryptic (and
frustrating)
message:
                            make: *** No rule to make target 'config'.
Stop.

Does anyone know what the heck this means and how I can fix it?  I'd
really like to get this network up and running.  Thanks in advance.

Doug Haines

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "make clean" lockup
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:59:27 -0500

Cautionary tale.  I was messing with some source the other day:
deleted one subdirectory of stuff that was irrelevant for me,
did "make", installed, all OK.  I then wanted to tar up the source
again, so I did "make clean".  Problem was that "make clean"
invoked the command "cd foo ; make clean", where "foo" was the
subdirectory I had deleted.  The "cd foo" failed of course, but
the subsidiary "make clean" didn't!  I hit ctrl-C as fast as I
could but in a couple of seconds the system was locked up solid,
all memory devoted to multiple copies of the "make" process.
I suppose if I'd been logged on as an ordinary user the
spiral would have been stopped by a process limit?  But I was
root, and my only option was to power the machine down :(
(This under kernel 2.2.0-pre3.)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics