Linux-Misc Digest #622, Volume #19               Sat, 27 Mar 99 15:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: VPN for linux/NT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problem with kppp on KDE 1.1 (Leendert)
  Re: Catch MicroSoft napping. ("John Nelson")
  Kernel panic (Jean-Yves Simon)
  Re: Public license question (Richard E. Hawkins Esq.)
  Re: Auto dial-ISP and auto-FTP download ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What's wrong with my Linux Box (RabbidRabbit)
  Network, Linux&Windows (Sander van de Merwe)
  Re: NT-Backup-Tapes under Linux (David E. Fox)
  Re: Can I trust xvidtune info? (Tommy Willoughby)
  Re: Is this drive defective? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: trouble with "mount" using RH-5.2 (Tommy Willoughby)
  libc5 & glibc 2.1 coexistence ("Jason A. Nye")
  Re: after install Netscape 4.51 (Tim Kelley)
  Problems with modules and 2.2.x series kernels ... (Tim Kelley)
  Re: trouble with "mount" using RH-5.2 (Ian Hay)
  Inews and RedHat 5.2....
  Problem with MBR ("Philippe")
  Re: Linux Workstations in an NT domain -- how to do it? ("jdn")
  xosview and 2.2.x (Len Cuff)
  Re: xosview and 2.2.x (Dan Nguyen)
  Re: Dumb question about console color... (Tim Kelley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VPN for linux/NT
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:16:27 GMT

In article <OyhBS4xd#GA.108@upnetnews05>,
  "ELVIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Any movement onthe VPN front?
> >
> >I need to connect NT ws to linux server across the internet.  Any
> >pointers to software or howtos for this mised breed vpn are most
> >welcome.
> >
> There was a PPTP patch for ip_masq back in the 2.0.32 days (Spring '98).  It
> worked fine then and our company needed it to connect MS engineers back to
> the home office in Redmond.  At the time it was the only way to do PPTP
> through a firewall (or so they told me).

Is their an update or better alternative now? I've been considering ways to
link our offices across the Internet rather than with dedicated ISDN links.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear

From: Leendert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with kppp on KDE 1.1
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:38:46 +0100

> I am runing SUSE 6.0 2.2.2 and KDE 1.1.
> I am using kppp to connect to the net. Once I connect using kppp, I am
> unable to start any other application, be it from the panel or the start
> menu. So I need to start Netscape before I use kppp. As soon as I close
> kppp I am able to run all the apps as usual.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem,
Nope...

But I have SuSE 6.0 kernel 2.0.36 and I have had this problem with KDE
1.0 and still have it with 1.1...
But I've asked some other people (who run Redhat) about this problem,
and they can start as much apps as they want.
Some sort of SuSE problem?

-leendert-

------------------------------

From: "John Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Catch MicroSoft napping.
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:04:25 -0800

Stirling Hamersley wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Do we see in linux a revolution in computing similar to the internet, in
>terms of the rapid expansion leading to wide acceptance?
>
>And is now the time we will see a reduction of dominance by MicroSoft?

In the server arena, without question. Compared to Linux, growth in "new
installs" of NT is essentially flat.

>In the Blue corner we have MicroSoft, just about to release Windows
>2000, probably bug filled and even more resource hungry maybe causing
>people to look for alternatives.

"Just about ..."? Don't hold your breath. When, and IF, MS delivers on the
promises made for Win2K, it may be a winner. The one thing that MS has going
for it is easy installation and configuration. Like it or not, the fact is
that Linux has a long way to go in this regard, and will fail to penetrate
those areas where that feature (ease of use)  is high on the list.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jean-Yves Simon)
Subject: Kernel panic
Date: 27 Mar 1999 18:24:16 GMT

Hi,
I wanted to add plip support on my desktop linux box.
So I started recompiling the kernel. Last time I
recompile was one year ago. I have ide and scsi
disk (I boot from ide and the scsi is a flashpoint card
supported by Mr Leonard Zubkoff's driver) and I boot using lilo.
After the make config, I did make dep ; make clean ; make zImage
make modules ; make modules_install

then installed the new kernel with lilo.
Now when I boot, I have a kernel panic just after the scsi
detection. lilo resides on the ide disk

VFS : Cannot open root device 03:02

And I am stuck. The system had been perfect since 2 years
and I didn't change any of the partition.

I also lost the previous kernel, so I boot using the
original boot slackware disk and choose at boot up
mount root=/dev/hda2 ( Ihave dos on /dev/hda1)

The machine starts fine, but after a while I am
getting this message on my screen repeated a lot of
time

problem : block on freelist at 0008b9fc isn't free

Different reboot yield to the same message with a
different address.

I tried to recompile the kernel, undoing the change
the kernel panic is still there.

Partition:
/dev/hda1  Dos
/dev/hda2 Linux
/dev/hda3 dos
/dev/hda4 Linux
/dev/hda5 dos

/dev/sda1 dos
/dev/sda2 Linux
/dev/sda3 swap

until this recompile (this was not the first time), my linux
box worked fine.

Help !!!

--
 Jean-Yves SIMON     E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard E. Hawkins Esq.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 27 Mar 1999 12:20:51 -0600

In article <7dd4h9$g5u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lynn Winebarger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7d8k5r$39o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Richard E. Hawkins Esq. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <7d7tlf$3gg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Lynn Winebarger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>   I would have thought it would have been the result of being to close
>>>to the situation to make a rational evaluation, rather than just not
>>>doing one's homework.  (The former criticism I can certainly see as
>>>holding validity universally, the latter I don't know about).

>>It's both, although the former tends to be worse than the latter.
>>However, the latter is often the case when attorneys represent themselves
>>(generally a bad idea, too).

>    That is sort of surprising.  Are you talking about attorneys
>representing themselves outside their area of specialization, or within,
>or both?

Area of specialization isn't really that important with attorneys.  For
a reasonably competetant attorney, it has more to do with how much
time something will take rather than how well it will be done.

>>We used to refer to the "My Girlfriend's Divorce Shool of Law," the
>>phenomenon in which a client (usually a woman in a domestic matter; i
>>can't explain why) tries to explain the law and what she's entitled
>>to (inevitably being thoroughly incorrect) to her attorney, using
>>what she (thinks she) knows from what happened to someone else.  This
>>is frequently an early warning sign that you're dealing with a "client from
>>hell."

>   I won't deny the possibility of being a client from hell.  But at
>least I'd be citing case law, and not a girlfriend.

That would be a different situation than I'm talking about, then :)

>   Can I help it if I like being vigorous in pursuing matters relating
>to my liberty? (More to the point, would I want to help it?)

No, nothign wrong at all there.  But when you're paying someone $200
an hour for expertise, and he tells you that the word doesn't mean
what you think it means in that context, for crying out loud, listen.
That's why your paying him.  I have no problem with well-informed
clients.  Those who spout incorrect law at me, or look up something
that's since been overruled, and expect me to act in accordance with
it, are quickly shown the door . . .

rick,esq.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Auto dial-ISP and auto-FTP download
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:39:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm failry a new Linux user. I have basically set my config the way I
> wanted it. I then get to download lots of linux apps, but I  I want to
> FTP-download the files at a scheduled time. I know I need cron, pppd,
> and ftp. But is there a way to login and download from an ftp server if
> and only if a dial-up connection was successful?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Salvo

Check out eznet. I think it will solve your problem.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear

From: RabbidRabbit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What's wrong with my Linux Box
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:39:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >Just installed RH5.2 on my Celeron 400. Entire system frozen so oftenly
(every
> >15 minutes on average). And here is the seg of log file:
>
> >Mar 26 10:17:22 mickey kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
> >virtual address ce3e0ea7 Mar 26 10:17:22 mickey kernel: current->tss.cr3 =
>
> [200+ lines of logfiles deleted]
>
> >Could anyone please tell me what is going on? What should I do to fix this.
>
> [...]

What kind of chipset is your motherboard. It needs to be BX-chipset for a
Celeron 400.  You also should have PC100 DIMM and the board should be running
at 100mhz bus speed.  If you have any further problems you should take your
parts, as is, into the shop you bought them, and get them to replace them,
they should still be under warranty.

From: Sander van de Merwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network, Linux&Windows
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:09:09 +0100

Hi,

I installed Linux (SuSE 6.0) on my computer and configured
the modem and I can connect to internet and browse and send email
with Netscape, so that part works at least :)

I have an NE2000 compatible network card and did configure
it with "YAST". But how can I now view shared drives on
my other computer? (with Windows, I have a FAT16 drive shared that I
want
to use to "transfer" files from Windows to Linux, like tar's I
downloaded)

Anyone has a suggestion?
Please be as specific as possible since I am just a newbie in Linux. :)

Thank you!

Yours Sincerely,
Sander van de Merwe
(please reply by email: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David E. Fox)
Subject: Re: NT-Backup-Tapes under Linux
Date: 27 Mar 1999 18:48:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Kai Schnabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thanks for the hint!
> The gnu-tools have a 'tar' wiht them, (see above...), so I could read
> the backups and write them again in the 'tar'-format. This procedure
> takes a lot of time I don't want to spend... I'd rather need a tool

Considering that restoring your existing NT backups would
require 1) a reinstall of NT, and 2) a reinstall of the backup software
used to make the tape, it's probably easier to rewrite the
tapes from Linux. For instance, if you make the existing system a
dual-boot system, then you can mount the NT partition during the
backup, and then just backup the whole thing from Linux.

If you have several machines then maybe the way to go is to
use something like Arkeia, which can backup networks of mixed
Linux/NT/9x etc. boxes.

> Kai

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   the              change magnetic patterns
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      churches         on your hard disk.

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:56:24 -0800
From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I trust xvidtune info?

Alan Alfonso wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just ran xvidtune on my Debian 2.0 system to check my refresh rate.
> These are the settings:
> Pixel Clock (Mhz): 36.00
> Horizontal Sync Rate (khz):  43.27
> Vertical Sync Rate (Hz):  85.01
>
> Is this info always accurate - do they reflect the current settings?
> I was just so convinced that my refresh setting was at 60Hz or something
>
> (due to the eyestrain I'm experiencing) .
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Alan

I can push a button on my monitor (Sony 200es) & see what the current
refresh rates are.

               Horizontal        Vertical
Monitor says:   65.2khz           79hz
Xvidtune says:  65.18khz          79.20hz

I don't think the monitor can display more than one decimal place. In
any case, looks pretty accurate to me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is this drive defective?
Date: 27 Mar 1999 18:03:41 GMT

Thomas Boggs ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: EXT2-fs error (device 03:01): ext2_write_inode: unable to read inode block -
: inode=10049, block=40966
: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=81995,
: sector=81932

I just had a IDE HDD that gave the same messages as the above replaced
by Western Digital. The messages were usually preceeded and/or accompanied
by loud 'clunks' from the drive.

I would recommend checking the support web pages of your HDD manufacturer.

WD replaced my disk after one test : remove the IDE cable from the HDD and
then power up the PC; the HDD still clunked.

IAP
--
I am using anti-spam measures, please replace 'not.valid' with 'value.net'

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:04:43 -0800
From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trouble with "mount" using RH-5.2

giacomo boffi wrote:

> i'm using the redhat 5.2 distribution, and this is a sample session
> using the mount command. please note that /dev/hdc is my cdrom drive

> % whoami
> root
> % mount /dev/hdc
> mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab
> % grep hdc /etc/fstab
> /dev/hdc        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660  user,exec,nodev,suid,ro 0 0
> % mount -V                                         ^^^^^
> mount: mount-2.8a               --->  Why is this there?
> % rpm -q mount
> mount-2.8a-2
> %
>
> if someone could guess what's wrong, i'll feel very obliged
>
> thanks in advance,                                      gb

You might want to type "man mount" and see what "nodev" does....

------------------------------

From: "Jason A. Nye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: libc5 & glibc 2.1 coexistence
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:14:14 -0400

Hello all, here is my system to start out with

P166MMX, 64 MB
Slackware 3.0
kernel 2.2.3
egcs 1.1.2 (Both C & C++)
XFree 3.3.3.1
glibc 2.1

As soon as glibc 2.0 came out, I upgraded manually (my system was
previously based on libc5). I followed the HOWTO carefully, and
everything went perfectly smoothly -- after a couple of tries. I
upgraded my XFree86 server & libs recently to 3.3.3.1 (I compiled the
source, so it linked with glibc) and then I upgraded my glibc to glibc
2.1. I can only run about half of my X programs now. If an X program was
originally linked with libc5 (ie xv, xfig, xcalc, etc), it always
segfaults. The problem obviously is that my previous X libraries were
linked with libc5 and my new libs are linked with glibc. I tried
downloading the X libs that were linked with libc5 and installing them,
but any X programs linked with glibc can't resolve the _xstat symbol in
libc6.

Am I totally screwed? My system is far from unusable (I downloaded the
glibc version of Netscape and some other apps), but it is definitely
annoying that libc5 and glibc 2.1 X programs don't coexist very well.
I'm feeling quite defeated.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I too eager to try new
packages?

TIA,

Jason Nye

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Subject: Re: after install Netscape 4.51
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:55:10 -05-59

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:25:34 -0600, William H. Pridgen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>bio13 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using the Red Hat 5.2, which come with Netscape 4.07.  Something wrong
>> after
>> I tried to install 4.51 version.   When login as root,
>> it says that ulimit can not been found.  The prompt goes
>> wierd and the Backspace does not show well in nxterm (it functions well
>> though.)
>>
>> I used the command "./ns-install" to setup it up.  Apparently,
>> it has not been integrated into Redhat, cause it still recognize
>> browser in /usr/bin/netscape, not the /usr/local/netscape/netscape, where I
>> installed.
>>
>> Any idea?  Thanks in advance,

Well, you can run Netscape from the command line, OR

you can just make a symbolic link to it ...

ln -s /usr/local/netscape/netscape /usr/bin/netscape

Then it will work fine, and will be in your path (probably)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Subject: Problems with modules and 2.2.x series kernels ...
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:34:35 -05-59

I'm having problems with every kernel I've tried - 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.2.3, 2.2.4 -

It seems my modules are not loading automatically at all and I having to load
them individually by hand.  Eg, when I want to load a cdrom, I must do

insmod sr_mod
insmod cdrom
insmod isofs

until then it won't work.  Same for evey other module (sound, tape,
ethernet, all of
them).  Of course, they get unloaded after time, then I must load them again.

This has happened to me with every kernel of the 2.2 series.

I'm using Red Hat 5.2, I upgraded all these RPM's to the following, as
suggested by Red Hat:

util-linux-2.9-0
procinfo-15-0
modutils-2.1.121-0
initscripts-3.78-2.4
net-tools-1.50-0

My conf.modules is set up properly as far as I can see.  It just doesn't
seem to be reading it.

Otherwise the kernel works perfectly.   These are the steps I took in
installing:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep; make clean; make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
linked /lib/modules/2.2.4 to "preferred"
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.4
(then made a link from "System.map-2.2.4 to System.map)
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.4
configured lilo.conf, ran /sbin/lilo

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  I built a lot of 2.0.x kernels, and
never had any problems like this ...

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:11:10 GMT

[posted and mailed]

Hi again Giacomo - see below:

giacomo boffi wrote:

> Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > At any rate, your solution is to use 'mount /mnt/cdrom'.
>
> i'm sorry, but it does not work
>
> two things that work for me (without passing options to mount) are:
>
>                      % mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
>                       % mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
>
> anytime i try to use mount with a single argument the program says that
> it can't find "whatever" in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab

> > > /dev/hdc        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660  user,exec,nodev,suid,ro 0 0

Above is your line in /etc/fstab.  My equivalent is:

/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 exec,dev,suid,ro,user,noauto 0
0

Note that yours specifies the "nodev" option, while mine specifies the
"dev" option.  This is the only difference of significance I can see.
I'm not sure what the man page description of the option means, but
since 'mount /mnt/cdrom' works on mine, give 'dev' a try.  Also -
(though it shouldn't matter) is /dev/cdrom symlinked to /dev/hdc?  If
so, change your line in /etc/fstab from /dev/hdc... to /dev/cdrom....

I.

Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
Linuxing about since June 21, 1998 <Redhat 5.1 - 2.0.35>

From: @Linux.coyotedata.com ()
Subject: Inews and RedHat 5.2....
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:28:18 GMT

Ok, I finally got things to work.  In case anyone else is having trouble
getting the inews package that comes with RedHat 5.2 to work as a 'dump
client only' type of inews, here is the trick:

First remove the (apparently broken inews):
# rpm -e inews

Then fetch nntpclnt-1.6.1.tar.gz from ftp.uu.net:/networking/news/nntp
and build it.  There are some weirdnesses:

The C preprocessor is invoked as 'cc -E -traditional-cpp' and you need
to edit the Makefile to add '-DSTRNCASECMP' to the CFLAGS.

Then you just make and make install, and you are golden.

------------------------------

From: "Philippe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.goldmine,alt.comp.software.tools,comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Problem with MBR
Date: 27 Mar 1999 19:30:26 GMT

As many people writting here.. I need HELP !!    Unfortunately I do not
believe that anyone has spoken of my problem in the last posts.

I have no idea why, but a problem suddenly appeared on my secondary master
Hard Drive (IDE), although it is properly recognized from Bios at startup,
I am completely unable to have access to it.  After playing a little bit
with Linux FDISK as well as a Quantum Fireball DOS-Setup Disk, I truely
believe that the problem has something to do with the MBR of this drive.
(I think's it is empty !)

So if anyone knows of a solution or any other idea to help me get in touch
with my lost data.  Indeed, as most of this HD is data, if I could only
have access to the drive once, copy everything on my primary master drive
and then reformat the damaged disk... I would consider that a perfect
solution.. As I would not trust a long term reliability of my hard drive
being used on an artificially built partition.  (btw. partition is FAT 16,
drive is 1200 MB)

Thank you very much for taking time to read this, even more ThankYous if
you answer!!

Philippe
(please answer at [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "jdn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Workstations in an NT domain -- how to do it?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:13:15 -0600

Hmm.  I thought Samba was designed to make Linux look like an NT file and
print server, not to use on workstations.

Ah, install Samba on all the Linux workstations, and make them look like NT
servers, since who cares what they look like.  Yes, I can see that.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks.

jdn

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xosview and 2.2.x
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:44:39 +0000

Does anyone know why xosview doesn't work with kernel 2.2.x ?
I've just moved to 2.2.x kernel running SuSE 6. Everything else works
fine, pppd, sound, printer etc but the little xosview window which used
to appear in the fvwm2 screen has gone !
Running xosview from an xterm gives me nothing although ps ef shows it
running.  Any ideas ? Has 2.2.x changed so much that it can't work any
more and, if so, is there an alternative ?
Cheers,
        Len

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xosview and 2.2.x
Date: 27 Mar 1999 19:46:37 GMT

Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Does anyone know why xosview doesn't work with kernel 2.2.x ?
: I've just moved to 2.2.x kernel running SuSE 6. Everything else works
: fine, pppd, sound, printer etc but the little xosview window which used
: to appear in the fvwm2 screen has gone !
: Running xosview from an xterm gives me nothing although ps ef shows it
: running.  Any ideas ? Has 2.2.x changed so much that it can't work any
: more and, if so, is there an alternative ?

Things in /proc which xosview used, changed.

--
      Dan Nguyen           | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dumb question about console color...
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:04:27 -05-59

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:14:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>Well it does really sound dumb, but my question is that when you're fist time
>installing Red Hat from boot.img, you get this nice set of colorful text,
>red, blue, green... and when you're done and boot, you only get grayscale
>fonts on the console. Now that I overlooked someone else's console and
>noticed all this colorful fonts again, I really want this happening on my
>monitor too. What do I need to do? I did a little bit of research, but just
>can't find any starting point. I'm sure it's not that complicated... So,
>please help me. I'll be really delighted to have some colors.

The colors are enabled ... if you want colors for "ls"
for eg., you just type "ls --color" ... to make it permanent,
you just add "alias ls='ls --color' to /etc/bashrc OR to
$HOME/.bashrc.

... just a thought ... is there anyhting which can cause bash to do
color coding as one types at the prompt?  Kinda, useless, but neat ...