for these Windoze programs? (Harry)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:18:18 GMT

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:45:14 +0100, Robert Moir [MVP]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As for stability, well Linux is not the worlds most mature product, and its

Linux is as mature as NT, and it's greater stability has been demonstrated.
Linux needs to be rebooted only for hardware or kernel upgrades, not for
network changes or software installation.  It doesn't have the vulnerability
to viruses that NT seems to have.  NT also requires at least a workstation
class machine whereas an old 386 or 486 is fine for a Linux gateway or
firewall. Linux is also easy to administer remotely.  For more info see:

http://pel.cs.byu.edu/~alen/computers/Linux/WhyLinux/
http://metalab.unc.edu/linux/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Herrington)
Subject: Independence Linux-error opening directory
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:17:27 GMT

Hi all
A RH5.2 tweaked version called Independence Linux,because it is now
auto hardware detect capable,is giving me problems.
My install files are on my win95 HDD(hda1)while the Linux HDD is hda2
I twll the setup the install files are on the Win95 HDD and it
searches for packets,and then says"error opening directory"
Is it possible that because the install files are on win95 HDD that
there is a problem,like the names being shortened for example

thanks/Pete

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help, I'm using win98. I cant hold on much longer!
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:18:18 -0800

Hi,

I'm an avid Linux user. I swear by it. I have several machines all with
Redhat 5.2
Been using Linux exclusively for 3 years so I'm not a newbie
Up until today, all was roses.
I am connectiong from 3 other Linux machines to the internet through one

machine with a ppp connection and ip masquerading. Kernel 2.2.2 with
moderately secure firewall using ipchains. I use diald for the
connecting.
This setup has worked wonderfully for some time until this afternoon.
Suddenly, whenever the machine dials in, it just cant connect. I have
made no changes in anything in the last few days.
Fortunately, I've never had any problems connecting, but unfortunately,
this also means I have never run into this problem before.
I do know that my ISP has been making changes this weekend, but I can
connect with no problem from my wifes windows machine. (It hurt me to
say that as much as it hurts me when I see others post it)

pppd says the recieve serial connection is not 8 bits clean and that bit

7 is set to 0

here's the exact output

Mar 28 22:41:39 chunks diald[357]: Running connect (pid = 451).
Mar 28 22:42:12 chunks diald[357]: Running pppd (pid = 452).
Mar 28 22:42:12 chunks pppd[452]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Mar 28 22:42:12 chunks pppd[452]: Using interface ppp0
Mar 28 22:42:12 chunks pppd[452]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: Connection terminated.
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
clean:
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Mar 28 22:42:42 chunks pppd[452]: Exit.

I hate to say it but I'm running windows right now to get on line.
May god have mercy on my soul.
Perhaps someone has seen a similar problem before?
As I stated in the subject line, I'm using windows.
Windows is a bite in my ass. (fortunately, I only need it to get this
plea for help out on to the group)
Can anyone rescue me from the clutches of this retarded OS?

Thanks
Chris

PS please CC to my e-mail address

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH 5.2: lpr fails, multiple lpd daemons
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:50:35 GMT

Charles Roten wrote:

> An old problem, I have seen this with both RH 5.1 and RH 5.2 installs.
> Previously, killing the lpd processes with PIDs _not_ listed in
> /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock did the job.
>
> _But_ _not_ _this_ _time_.
>
> I shut down by invoking
>
>     /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop
>     rm /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock
>
> and restart with
>
>     /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start
>
> Then the command "ps auxww | grep lpd | grep -v grep"
> gets the following stdout (line breaks inserted by me):
>
>     root      2421  0.0  0.1   784   336  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd
>     root      2423  0.1  0.2   848   464  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd
>     root      2424  1.2  0.3  1236   728  ?  S    16:53   0:00 bash \
>          /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter -w132 -l66 -i0 \
>          -n root -h mjollnir.roten.nom
>
> /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock contains the PID of the first process, of course.
>
> Attempts to print, i.e. "lpr /etc/resolv.conf", get stderr:
>
>     lpr: connect: No such file or directory
>     jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> Doing "kill -1 2423 2424 ; ps auxww | grep lpd | grep -v grep" gives
>
>     root      2421  0.0  0.2   824   408  ?  S    16:53   0:00 lpd
>
> Then a repetition: "lpr /etc/resolv.conf".
>
> No stderr.  But no output either.  /var/log/messages has nothing
> to say.  Nor does anything else in /var that I can find.
>
> I'm completely at a loss.
>
> The printer and cable are known good.  Printer is a Apple
> LaserWriter Select 360.  Mainboard is a Tyan S1668, Award BIOS.
> Kernel is 2.036.
>
> Oh, yeah .... BTW ... just what in blazes is this bullsh*t about
> multiple lpd daemons being started up during lpd startup ?????
> I saw this in fresh RH 5.1 installs, and it does NOT speak well
> of RedHat's startup scripts !!
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] |Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II,
> (Charles D. Roten)  |227, any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to
>                     |this address is subject to a download and archival fee of
>                     |$500 US. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Have you ever been able to print anything to your printer? Make sure the kernel
has printer support. cat  <any plain text file> > /dev/lp0

You might have to replace /dev/lp0 with /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2 depending on your
setup
If nothing prints out when you try all 3, and all 3 give you an error, your
kernel doesnt' support printing.

If your printer does output plain text, then lpd isn't properly setup
lpd isn't setup off a fresh install. In X run control-panel (from an xterm type
control-panel &) and click ont he printer icon. Resetup your printer.

-- Nadeem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows
Date: 29 Mar 1999 04:15:02 GMT

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:20:06 +1200,
 Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >o..........Meeting People
> >o..........Learning an OS, if you are from the MS-DOS world
> >o..........Finding ported drivers from odd hardware devices
> >o..........Meeting Chicks
> >

> I can't think of a single OS that's good for meeting chicks  ;)

Perhaps that's because you use Windows.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Jack Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Different IP in one network
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:45:12 +0800

Lew Pitcher ¼g¹D¡G

> Jack Cheng wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a network system using RH5.2 and running fine. The IP is 192.168.16.1
> >
> > Because I want ot learn more about linux, so I hooked up one more linux box
> > in my existing lan (of course running as a SERVER and IP is 192.168.18.1),
> > so i can change anything in the new linux box for my testing.
> >
> > I cannot ping the 192.168.16.1 from the new linux box (192.168.18.1), is
> > possible set two different IP in one lan system?
> >
> > Best Regard
> > Jack Cheng
>
> If you have defined your 'subnet mask' to be more than 16bits (i.e.
> 255.255.0.0),
> you'll have to stick a router between the two Linux boxes. You see, they
> look to
> be on different subnets, and would ignore each other if they were.
>
> Rather than add more hardware to your lan, either
> a) change the IP address on the new Linux box to a 192.168.16.x address
>    (like your first Linux box has), or
> b) change the subnet masks on *both* Linux boxes to be 255.255.0.0
>    (in order to put both machines on the same subnet).
>
> Of course, option (b) above may have detrimental effects on your
> existing LAN.
>
> --
>
> Lew Pitcher        |  If everyone has an angle, why
> JOAT-in-training   |  are most of them so obtuse?

 Yes,
When I set to 255.255.0.0, both Linux boxes can talk to each other but it mess up
my existing network, that's I don't want to see.
And now I add a network card in the first Linux box and set an IP to
192.168.18.254, netmask 255.255.255.0, and it seems to be fine now. (trying hard
to learn how to use the ROUTED)

Regard
Jack Cheng

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:19:30 GMT

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:46:00 GMT, "Steven R. Levitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I have had absolutely no luck getting Linux to automount any of my WinNT
>(SP4) shares.  I have no problem mounting these volumes manually via
>smbmount, but, I would prefer not be burdened with this task every time I
>bootup.
>
>    RedHat 5.1 distribution:
>        kernel-2.0.34-0.6
>        smbfs-2.0.1-4
>        am-utils-6.0a16-4
>
>    and, for what its worth:
>        samba-1.9.18p10-5
>        portmap-4.0-11
>        nfs-server-2.2beta29-5 & nfs-server-2.2beta29-5 (installed, not
>active)
>        autofs-3.1.1-4 (installed, not active)
>
>I've read through the Am-utils (4.4BSD Automounter Utilities) user manual at
>http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/am-utils/am-utils_toc.html about 129 times.
>But,  due either to a huge mental block, or, utter stupidity on my part, I
>just can't seem to get the hang of it!  Everything I've tried, so far, had
>been greeted with error upon error.   So now, nearing the end of my rope,
>I'm asking for your collective wisdom on this matter.
>
>Could anyone help me understand the user manual in terms of what I wish to
>accomplish?  Or, better yet, provide me with a sample of a working
>configuration I could base mine upon?

I ignore all about Samba stuff. Are you sure you need autofs to mount
them ? Can't you just add a few lines for them in your /etc/fstab
file?

Anyway I work with autofs (very easy to configure) with a 2.2.4 kernel
(autofs support is valid since 2.0.3x kernels but for these it is jus
experimental).

My /etc/auto.master file :

/mnt    /etc/auto.removable     --timeout 3

It indicates autofs that it has to listen every action on the /mnt
directory, that the file containing the mount descriptio is in
/etc/auto.removable, and that it can automatically unmount the fs
after 3 second of inactivity (it allows you to change the cdrom or
your floppy).

And my /etc/auto.removable file:

cdrom   -fstype=iso9660,ro                              :/dev/cdrom
fd0        -fstype=auto                                 :/dev/fd0

It indicates to mount the local /dev/cdrom when someone accesse the
/mnt/cdrom directory (the other option are the same than mount's).

Something important : RH is configured for amd by default. To
configure autofs you have to change all occurences of the K08autofs
for S72autofs, and S72amd to K08amd in the /etc/rc.d/rc{3,4,5}.d
directories.

Manu

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:07:42 -0500

> Useability for whom? The unix philosophy is that a little
> learning up front will pay huge dividends in the medium
> and long term.

The Unix philosophy???

Making software unintuitive doesn't make it better and doesn't endow
the user with additional skills. It's just poorly designed from the
user's point of view.

Why do Unix people get so needlessly defensive all the time? Much
Unix software suffers from poor usability - not all of it, just a
lot of it. Now you're telling me that's a good thing? You don't hear
me say how stable Win 95 or Win 98 is compared with Linux? What's
the point in denying the truth?

Harry

------------------------------

From: "Fran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: can't be excuted by typing its name
Date: 29 Mar 1999 08:17:32 GMT

Alter your path statement to include /. ie the current directory.

Rick Runowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Damon des Jumeaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.2 kernel locked by autofw???
Date: 29 Mar 1999 08:19:25 GMT

Hi there.  I recently upgraded to kernel 2.2.3 (with patches patch-2.2.3-ac4
and ip_masq-v0.25-for_2.2.3) relatively smoothly, and everything appeared
to be working.  Until today, when i tried to run Starcraft from the windows
box which is masqueraded through the linux machine.  The linux box locked up
completely.  I've never seen that before, except one time when i did
something abysmally stupid upgrading to glibc2. :)

Now i'm using 2.0.36 again with no problems.

Here's the code i use to set up the autofw Starcraft's battle.net stuff
needs in order to run, under 2.2:

  /usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r tcp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255
  /usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255

again, under 2.0.36 the equivalent ipautofw stuff works fine; under 2.2.3-ac4
with ipmasqadm the above locks the machine solid (can't telnet in, no disk
activity, magic sysreq doesn't work).

here are some version numbers:
ipchains-1.3.8
ipmasqadm-0.4.2
dhcpcd-1.3.17-pl2
net-tools-1.51

and the full rc script that gets run when the dhcpcd connexion is up:

# BEGIN rc.dhcp script

KV=`/bin/uname -r | /bin/cut -c -3`
ODINIP=`/sbin/ifconfig eth1 | sed -n -e '/inet addr:/{s/^.*inet addr://;s/ .*//;
p;}'`

if [ "$KV" = "2.0" ]; then
  # Reset hostname and domainname...
  hostname odin
  domainname jumeaux.bc.ca
fi

# ip accounting
if [ "$KV" = "2.2" ]; then
  /sbin/ipchains -A input -d $ODINIP
  /sbin/ipchains -A output -s $ODINIP
else
  ipfwadm -A -a -P all -S $ODINIP/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0
  ipfwadm -A -a -P all -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D $ODINIP/32
fi

# IP masquerading setup
if [ "$KV" = "2.2" ]; then
  ipchains -P forward DENY
  ipchains -A forward -j DENY -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 137:139
  ipchains -A forward -j DENY -p udp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 137:139
  ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
else
  ipfwadm -F -p deny
  ipfwadm -F -a deny -b -P tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D 0.0.0.0/0 137 138 139
  ipfwadm -F -a deny -b -P udp -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D 0.0.0.0/0 137 138 139
  ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
fi

# Starcraft
if [ "$KV" = "2.2" ]; then
  /usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r tcp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255
  /usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255
else
  /usr/local/sbin/ipautofw -A -r tcp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255
  /usr/local/sbin/ipautofw -A -r udp 6112 6112 -h 192.168.1.255
fi

# icq
/etc/rc.d/rc.icq $KV $ODINIP  # (this just sets up some other ipmasq stuff
                              #  that seems to work fine...)

if [ "$KV" = "2.2" ]; then
  echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
fi

# END rc.dhcp script

any suggestions?  if you need any further info, please let me know.  also,
is there somewhere else besides these newsgroups i might want to ask this?

please email me directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if possible, thanks.

PS - any pointers to where i can find out just which net-pf-X is which
protocol?  i get a lot more of those annoying messages now (i'd aliased
some off before) booting under 2.0 now that i've recompiled the net-tools...

--

Damon Harper des Jumeaux           _/\_   "Then you'll excuse me...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              __\  /__  I'm in the middle of fifteen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:51:44 +0000
From: Shane Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Zealots ? Was Which Voodoo for a P200?

Get him Robbt!

BTW Tom, I'm no computer science student, and no communist.
I've had Linux for 16 months and it has never ever crashed.

Never. Not bad for a "hacked UNIX".

Your OS's Kernel is built to work with pretty much everything
hardware wise, most of which you do not have. You have a slow
Kernel hacked together for compatibility.

My Kernel is built for only the hardware that I own and the
OS functionality I want, because of this, it is fast and stable.

You think Linux is only for low rent systems? Tell that to NASA.
(Speaking of capatilist Americans)      :)

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:13:30 -0500

> Why can't those windows folks implement an "rpm.exe"
> instead of that silly "setup.exe" they throw around?

They just have! It's called the Windows Installer, and, while I
don't think it's as good as RPM overall (you can't, for instance,
ask the thing to verify an individual file or ask it to tell you
what package it belongs to) it's a quantum leap from Install Shield.
It also has a lot of features that RPM doesn't have, such as "self
healing" - if an app launches and a dll or other file is missing or
corrupt, and the ability to have software install "on first use",
meaning that the first time you want to use a particular feature,
the software to implement it comes down from the server.

Harry