Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 23:11:51 +0000
From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS PNP Sound at last!

Stop me if I am wrong, but I think this is NEWS for owners of ENSONIQ
SOUNDSCAPE PNP SOUND CARDS...

I have an Ensoniq Soundscape PNP myself.  I have been trying to get it
working under Linux for ages, without paying for the proprietary driver
which is out there.  In my most recent try, I was searching on something
related to Ensoniq, when I ran across this page:

http://extra.chip.relc.com/~hunter/ensoniq/

The fix there works!  I first tested it (fittingly) by doing:

cat english.au > /dev/audio

and listened to Linux say: "My name is Linus Torvalds and..."  Right now
I am listening to a CD.

For those of you going to try the page's fix, here's some things I did
with my RedHat installation:

-the page gives some driver code, supposedly for kernel 2.2.11.  2.2.11
doesn't seem to be available as an rpm, but 2.2.12-4 is.  The same code
apparently works for the newer kernel.

-I installed the source and headers rpm for 2.2.12-4, replaced the two
driver source files in linux/drivers/sound:

ad1848.c sscape.c

by the patched ones downloaded from the pages site, and then did "make
modules".

-after module compilation, I copied by hand ad1848.o and sscape.o from
linux/drivers/sound to /lib/modules/2.2.12-4/misc

-installed the various Ensoniq firmware files downloaded from the page's
site in /sndscape, as noted on the page,

-rebooted and had sound!

Thank you, Sergey Smitienko

Regards, Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

------------------------------

From: Craig Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape & intellimouse scrolling
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:55:01 -0500

Check out the page:
http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
I used it to get my Intellimouse working, I took out some of the commands
in the script, but it's all there for you.

Good luck,
Craig

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: WordPerfect 8 Printer Drivers
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:27:45 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BJW7TOAEM) writes:
> I have the Downloaded Personal Edition of WordPerfect 8, I can not find my
> printer in the list of printer drivers that it gives me I have a BJC-600e.  I
> was wondering if there is a web site or somewhere I can download or find
> additional printer drivers? (If so how do I install them?) Do I have them on my
> system somewhere? And if there is no printer driver specifically for the
> BJC-600e what is another printer driver I can use. If you need any more
> information just e-mail me.  Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Check my web site on the subject:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/wpfonts.html

In brief: You're probably best off using a color PostScript driver, such
as the one for the QMS magicolor, and piping the results through a
standard Linux printer queue, which will in turn process the file through
Ghostscript.  There may be drivers for your specific model, or something
close to it, but I don't know offhand what's available for the Canon BJC
series (there's a link to Corel's printer driver site on my site).

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux success stories
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:58:34 -0500

Southwestern Bell uses Linux to keep watch over its telephone
networks...pretty mission-critical, I'd say.
The full story is at:
http://www.datamation.com/PlugIn/workbench/appdev/stories/9909linux1.html

Hope this helps,
Craig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rey Bango)
Subject: Re: Redhat6.0 + DEC tulip network card - can't get it to configure in :-(
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 23:47:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>       I also have had problems with the tulip driver for Mandrake Linux
> 6.0(which is based on RH 6.0).  My system never recognizes it for my
> DECchip PCI ethernet card.  I have tried to get a driver from
> http://www.bmen.tulane.edu/~siekas/tulip.html, but the file is corrupted.
> You have to page through many pages, but about 70% of the way through the
> file, the data is garbled for about a third of a page. I'm wondering if RH
> used this when they put their distribution together, which naturally was
> carried over to Mandrake Linux?  Greg Siekas says this about this driver
> site, "Entire site is offline while I make necessary changes. It will be
> back once I have time to redo everything and test the latest drivers in
> multiple configurations. Sorry for the inconvience."
>       I would say that our best bet at this time is just to purchase an
> ethernet card that uses any other driver which is exactly what I plan to
> do this weekend.
>
> Best of Luck,
> Doug Craig
>

> Chris Raper wrote:
> >
> > I am a newbie to linux but have been using SCO UNIX for a number of
> > years.
> >
> > I have a Pentium clone with an Accton 1207D-TX card (based on the DEC
> > tulip I understand). Caldera OL2.2 autodetects the card fine but
> > Redhat6.0 won't look at it. I let the o/s install (minus the
> > networking) and hoped to be able to configure it in later.
> >
> > I have run 'netconf' and filled in the details of the card
> > (type=tulip, IRG=10, Base I/O=0xD000) but after several re-boots eth0
> > still won't come up - 'dmesg' doesn't mention 'eth0' at all and the
> > boot screen says it loads 'lo' but fails on 'eth0'.
> >
> > I have even tried LILO (linux ether=10,0xd000,0,0,eth0) without
> > success. :-(
> >
> > Am I doing anything wrong here? Do I have to do a kernel re-build
> > after running netconf?  :-\
> >
> > TIA
> > Chris R.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

Doug,

You can go to http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html to
pull the latest driver. I had a prob w/ my Linksys NIC which requires the
tulip driver. I got the latest version and just followed the directions
on Linksys' site for recompiling the module and bam, it worked.

HTH,

Rey...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?
Date: 2 Sep 1999 18:58:21 GMT

TNC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Experienced admin looking for new distribution with good dependency
handling]

You may want to look at Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org/). It
attracts mostly experienced Linux users, many of which describe switching to
it as a "graduation".

Currently, GNOME is available for Debian. The Debian project does not ship
KDE due to licensing issues, but KDE binaries in Debian package format are
available from a third party.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: LINUX AND COREL
Date: 2 Sep 1999 18:53:46 GMT

[F'up set]

J Mars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>There are talks that Corel will bring out a Linux Wordperfect suite

Corel Wordperfect is already available for Linux; see linux.corel.com. Other
applications are being ported currently.

>and O/S.

The Corel Linux distribution will be based on Debian and KDE; see
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-corel.html .
It is not yet available; a demo version was demonstrated at the recent
LinuxWorld expo. LinuxWorld had a feature about it, but I can't find the URL
at the moment.

HTH,
Ray

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman Richards)
Subject: Re: Running two window managers simultaneously?
Date: 2 Sep 1999 19:09:46 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 23:35:39 -0700, Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Call me a retard, but I'm wondering if it's possible to run two
> window managers simultaneously....that is, in different X-sessions,
> if such a thing exists.  If it does, how does one start them?  And
> if one can run two window managers at the same time, are there any
> serious problems with memory sharing, etc?  Thanks much in advance,

  Sure...  Start your first one as you normally do.  For the second one,
use "startx -- :1".

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                           soli deo gloria

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: A REAL Linux for free
Date: 02 Sep 1999 23:29:10 GMT

On 1 Sep 1999 23:36:58 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>- linux has free tech support, the promo solaris has none

oh, come now... "free" solaris has the same "free support" that "free" linux
does.
newsgroups.

>- native versions of web apps like Netscape, Realplayer etc for x86

??? all these were originally for solaris x86 first, I thought. They
are certainly there now for solaris.

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WordPerfect cut&paste
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:14:52 +0100

And verily, didst Gene Wilburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> I live and die by drag & paste. I use this feature of Linux constantly and
> WordPerfect 8 is the only program I have encountered that did not allow me
> to paste. I don't have a 3-button mouse, so I always do the L+R thing.

I just checked it on mine... From a console, it doesn't work.
>From an Xterm... It works quite normally.

Don't know what's wrong with his setup.
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"  |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                |
|             in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control  |
|      Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: "Mario Charest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:00:00 -0400

Oh no, not again ;-)

From: "Dave Bush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 00:00:57 GMT

I'm coming in on this conversation late, so pardon me if this has already
been covered.

You haven't recently moved your system have you?? If by chance you put your
phone into the line jack and line into the phone jack on your modem, that'd
do it.

Most modems are programmed to turn off the phone jack as soon as a
connection is made. So when you dial out & connect the modem immediately
hangs up the line.

It'll frustrate the living hell out of you if you've never seen it before.

Just a thought,
- Dave
=====
Dave Bush - [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
Shirley Bush - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit our web page at http://www.northnet.org/gossamer

------------------------------

From: "Ralph H. Stoos Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux
Subject: HELP with Partioning Strategy
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:05:58 -0400

Hello fellow Linux users,

I have been using Linux for about two years now but I am not what you
would call a experienced UNIX system administrator.

Here is my question:

Can someone point me to an on-line location where I might be able to get
information on the strategy used for partitioning hard drives under
Linux?  What I am trying to find out is the difference in partitioning
between a server and a workstation.  Also, I have installed RedHat,
Caldera, Debian, and SuSE and basically let these packages determine my
default partition sizes.  I am REALLY looking forward to the
Corel/Debian release and the IBM/Caldera release!!

The other strategy I need to understand is how to partition the hard
drive and install programs so that any user logging in can run the apps
since you don't want everybody logged in as root.

If nobody knows of a good on-line spot,  how about a reference book that
explains the strategies in plain English?

Thanking you prematurely,

Ralph H. Stoos Jr.

PLEASE RESPOND TO:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
OR

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS DLLs vs. Linux Shared Libs
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 23:55:39 GMT

(Posted and Mailed)

  Lynn Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Thu, 02 Sep 1999 19:31:05 GMT, wrote :

LL> Hi,
LL>
LL> I'm doing my first Linux project, involving porting a fairly complex
LL> set of interdependent DLLs to Linux shared libraries.
LL>
LL> I'd appreciate any pointers to information on the following:
LL>
LL> Import/Export directives in Linux:  what replaces __declspec(dllimport)
LL> and __declspec(dllexport) and/or the .def file?

Not needed.  All 'extern's are exported in shared libraries.

LL> What flags to use to force the compiler/linker to create the import
LL> library in a separate step from creating the shared library.

CCFlags / CXXFlags should include '-fPIC', and the link step should
specifiy '-shared':

% cc -O2 -g -fPIC -c foo.c -o foo.o
% cc -shared -o libfoo.so foo.o

LL> Any tool which will display imports/exports/symbols, equivalent to MS's
LL> "dumpbin".

nm

LL> Any information on Linux's name-mangling scheme.

Same as G++ / EGCS++.

LL> OS loading criteria for finding and loading a shared library under Linux.

Simple case: defining LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Read up on ld and ld.so --
should be lots of info there.

LL> Any other wisdom from those of you who've travelled this road before.

Download my Role Playing DB
(http://www.deepsoft.com/RolePlayingDB/Download.html) and look at the
Makefiles (after running ./configure) under C++/lib and C++/swig -- and
the Makefile under Lib.

LL> Please respond via email, as my Usenet access is virtually nonexistant
LL> from here...
LL>
LL> Thanks greatly in advance,
LL> Lynn
LL> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hmmm... Is someone porting AutoCAD to Linux????

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,alt.os.linux
Subject: DHCP and never-expired leases
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:28:30 +0800

How do I configure dhcpd so that it gives out leases that never expired?

Jimmy