Linux-Misc Digest #669, Volume #19               Wed, 31 Mar 99 08:13:16 EST

Contents:
  Need IDE CD-R configuration help!  (Holden MacRoyn)
  Re: why would x freeze? (Ted Sikora)
  pcmcia services on suse 6 and kernel 2.2.4 (Michael Perry)
  Re: postgreSQL or MySQL for Webserver? ("Erick Woods")
  Re: Where can I download Linux as one compressed file? (Asia2000)
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (Matthew Kirkcaldie)
  Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount? (Tim Kelley)
  Help!!! Sun Sparc BIOS!!  ("Fong's")
  Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer ("David Lloyd-Jones")
  Monster Fusion with DOSEmu => problems ("Bruce Merry (Entropy)")
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Harry)
  Error seeking in /dev/kmem (John Thompson)
  Re: g77 anyone? ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux ("Ming98")
  Re: Unable to mount hpfs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I killed my Linux box (Jef Verdonck)
  Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0 (Joseph L. Wood, III)

From: Holden MacRoyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need IDE CD-R configuration help!
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:51:22 GMT

Help! I'm having trouble getting xcdroast to recognize my CD-R as a CD
Writer.

Both drives appear in the xcdroast device window but setup will not
allow me to specify wither as read or write devices.

I have an IDE Panasonic 7582-CDR, and a normal IDE CD-ROM for reading. I
am running Mandrake Linux 5.3 (RedHat 5.2 with all the latest drivers
updated and tested).

>From reading the HOWTO for CD-Writing, there is some mention that Linux
has difficulty with IDE CD-R devices and that I have to somehow trick
the kernel into recognizing these devices as Generic SCSI devices. The
cdrecord and xcdroast documentation allude to this but give very little
information in HOWTO do it.

If anyone has successfully done this, please point me in the right
direction.

Thanks - S

------------------------------

From: Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why would x freeze?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:13:43 GMT

Jason Rotunno wrote:

> What are some causes of x-windows to just freeze up?  I have a new
> mandrake install.  it automatically installs and configures x-windows and
> kde.  i'm not sure what version of x i have, but i believe it's the newest
> version (3.3.3? - not too sure - how would i check this).  kde is version
> 1.1.  my machine is a P200 w/ about 750  megs on the / partition, about
> 750 megs on the /home partition and 64M on the swap partition (lots of
> free space on the / and /home partitions.  not too sure how much swap
> space is being used).  my video card is an s3 trio 64-dx/gx (x is using
> the s3 server).  for the most part everything seems to run fine, but about
> four times so far x windows has totally froze.  i was unable to switch
> into any other consoles and cntrl-alt-backspace was non-responsive.  the
> first two times it froze i tried opening xvirc (comes pre-installed) more
> than once after the first time i tried opening it didn't do anything.  the
> third time as i was downloading staroffice via the web and the last time
> while browsing the web (when i tried opening a new window).  this is kind
> of frustrating, but i'm too sure what the problem could be.  if anyone has
> any suggestions i'd appreciate it.  thanks.

More memory, more memory. Common with Netscape after heavy use on
generic setups with nominal memory. A little tweaking would not hurt
either.(latest kernel, libraries, etc.) 64MB and a 128MB swap
partition should be considered the minimum for solid Linux computing.

--
Ted Sikora
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: pcmcia services on suse 6 and kernel 2.2.4
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:49:01 GMT

I just finished compiling and using kernel 2.2.4 on my desktop and am quite
satisfied with its performance; boot time is quite nice.  Now on to my
laptop.  Running SuSE 6 on both.  The documentation/changes and web
resources say you need card manager services to be at the 3.07 level.  This
is the level of pcmcia services on SuSE 6 now.  When kernel 2.2.4 boots it
does not initialize any pcmcia services and I get the impression that pcmcia
support has changed somewhat since there used to be kernel compilation
option for pcmcia services.

Anyone using 2.2.4 with SuSE 6 and pcmcia?

Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
======================

------------------------------

From: "Erick Woods" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: postgreSQL or MySQL for Webserver?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:48:50 -0600

No shit.  I see 2 others understood the question.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Asia2000)
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where can I download Linux as one compressed file?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:46:38 +0800

David Dineen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: So,basically, is there somewhere I can download RH 5.2 in one big
: file, and then unzip/untar it? Is there a better way?

If you can't find it already done, assuming you have command-line access
to your account, you can ftp the lot to your home directory (which should
be very fast, and you can run that in a terminal window while you're
otherwise occupied on the net). When it's done, use whatever tar/zip
command to create your omnibus file, which you ftp to your PC. You might
have problems with storage charges or limits though.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Kirkcaldie)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:28:06 GMT

In article <7dsf41$3a9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul
Anderson) wrote:

>>How about Macintosh clients?
>>
>Does NT support AppleTalk out of the box?

NT Server does, sometimes flakily ("Services for Macintosh").  You can get
"netatalk" for Linux; I don't know how good it is.

                     Matthew.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Kelley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Fat 32 and linux: can I mount?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:46:50 -05-59

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:39:05 GMT, Christian D Freet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does linux recognize FAT 32?  I have been unable to mount my second
>partition which uses the FAT 32 file system...
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Not a problem:
eg:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

Of course you need vfat support built in the kernel or as a module ...
if you get the messages "type vfat not supported by kernel", you know
what's wrong.

the stock kernels that come with most distros already support this.

--
Tim Kelley

From: "Fong's" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help!!! Sun Sparc BIOS!!
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:42:31 +0800

When I set the screen parameter!! with Sun SPARC "ok" prompt!!!
Have a big problem!! Need a expert to assist me!!!
I typed:
o.k.>setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x76   (enter)
o.k.>boot

after reboot the screen with scrable!!
and the Keyboard may no respone!!

Do You know how to resume the manufactory default value!!!????

Thanks very much!!!!
Fong's

From: Hong Kong..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:43:43 GMT

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:02:56 -0500, "Steve Levitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>RedHat 5.1 distribution:
> kernel-2.0.34-0.6
> smbfs-2.0.1-4
> autofs-3.1.1-4
> am-utils-6.0a16-4
> samba-1.9.18p10-5
I know there is now a 2.* version of Samba
> portmap-4.0-11
> nfs-server-2.2beta29-5 (installed, not active)
> nfs-server-2.2beta29-5 (installed, not active)
>
>Trying to automount NT (host name=cc90014-a) folder g:\public (share
>name=public) on mountpoint /mnt/cc90014-a/public.
>
>Here's my latest stab at the auto.* files...
>
>[root@levits03 steve]# cat /etc/auto.master
>/mnt/cc90014-a/public   file /etc/auto.cc90014-a
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's wrong, here you have to indicate which directory is controlled
by automount (ie the directory that, when being accessed by any
command, launches automount operation). Replace your line by:
/mnt/cc90014-a   file /etc/auto.cc90014-a
this way your smbfs will be mounted in /mnt/.../public, with your
definition it would be in /mnt/.../public/public
[But this problem can't break the automount, that's just something
cosmetic.]

>[root@levits03 steve]# cat /etc/auto.cc90014-a
>public -fstype=smbfs ://cc90014-a/g

I don't know anything about smbfs, but here you only indicate g:, not
g:\public (just a remark, I'm totally ignorant in smbfs).

------------------------------

From: "David Lloyd-Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:43:54 -0500

Richard Stovall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> I've gotten used to an 20" SGI (Sony) monitor at work and find that I have
a real hard time coming
> back to my weeny little 17" number at home.  Virtual desktops are cool and
all that, but there's
> nothing like having it all there on one screen to make you a believer in
the big ones.

If you match the number of pixels on the screen against the number of rods
and cones in your eyes, you see a sorta severe deficit. Your normal
functioning field of vision is equal to something like four square metres of
high density screen, I've read.

Think multiple 20-inchers -- and multiple operating systems to keep 'em fed.

    -dlj.

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Merry (Entropy)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Monster Fusion with DOSEmu => problems
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:53:41 +0200

Hi

First of all, my system: 2.2.4 kernel, DOSEmu 0.98.5, Diamond Monster
Fusion (PCI) with BIOS 1.20B2004 (the Fusion is Voodoo Banshee based).

If I set $_graphics = (1) in dosemu.conf, then a lot of weird stuff
happens e.g. I don't get a cursor at the DOS prompt (it's invisible),
sometimes bits of whatever was on the console before DOSEmu was started
remain on the screen, mode co80 doesn't fully clear the screen etc.
Basically it isn't nice to use, and at the moment I'm using $_graphics =
(0) but that doesn't let me change video modes or do one or two other
things.

I have turned off all the shadow options in my BIOS. I was using $_video
= "vga", $_console = (1), $_chipset = "plainvga", $_vbios_seg =
(0xc000), $_vbios_size = (0x8000), $_vmemsize = (16384) and I tried
$_videoportaccess on and off. I'm pretty sure the vbios settings are
correct because according to the device manager, the card uses memory
from c0000 to c7fff.

Anybody know how to fix this?
Thanks
Bruce
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |
| Proud user of Linux!             | http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~bmerry |
|         Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side,          |
|        and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.        |

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:57:25 -0500

> You are perhaps displaying your ignorance of vi.

More than likely - I evaluated a number of text editors, including
vi, and found vi to be by far the worst of them. Spending any more
time learning it would be pointless. For editing text files in Linux
I use Midnight Commander, which I find excellent.

> I use gvim in Linux and WinNT (when I have to be in NT) for
> the power you say it lacks.

I don't recall saying anything about gvim - doesn't vim stand for
"vi improved". No, definitely haven't even looked at this editor in
my entrire life. BTW have a tissue - you're foaming at the mouth -
it's the NT-o-phobia. It makes it impossible to get pragmatism out
of anyone in this newsgroup.

> The editors in IDE's frustrate me no end because of all the
> keystrokes you have to use to get anything done.

It's nice to know you don't need keystrokes in vi. Perhaps you use
the mouse and a screen image of the keyboard?

Harry

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:11:41 -0600

Since compiling and installing kernel 2.2.1 I've been seeing
the message "Error seeking in /dev/kmem" whenever I boot.  A
search on dejanews turns up a couple hits suggesting
updating syslogd (but it seems they actually mean updating
sysklogd).  Unfortunately, the suggested revision seems to
require glibc 2.1, which will break Star Office.  My son
needs Star Office for his homework (otherwise I'll have to
install some MS product for him to use) so this is not
acceptable.  What exactly am I missing by not being able to
"seek in /dev/kmem?"  Things appear to work properly so far,
anyway.  Is there perhaps a useable update for sysklogd that
doesn't require glibc 2.1?  Or perhaps some other solution?

Thanks...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: g77 anyone?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:37:44 +0200

Mark Brown wrote:

>    -mcpu=amdk6        - tune for K6 (drop the "amd" in egcs snapshots)
>    -march=amdk6       - generate K6-specific code (drop "amd" as above)
>
> They should all be supported by egcs and Pentium gcc.

  This doesn´t work in my configuration (egcs 1.1). Also I could not
find
any hint to this option on the egcs webpage. Which version are you
using?

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: "Ming98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Closing Dell Latitude Cover Crashes Linux
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:45:19 +0100

On my Thinkpad you can configure the power management action when the lid is
closed. I have disable the 'suspend' when lid closes to avoid a similar
problem.

Gordon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unable to mount hpfs
Date: 31 Mar 1999 12:32:36 GMT

Himanshu Roy Pota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to mount an NT partition (os/2 hpfs) from linux-2.0.36 with
> hpfs kernel support built in.
> When I type
> mount -t hpfs /dev/hda1 /hpfs
> it complains
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>               or too many mounted file systems

> Is there a way I can mount my NT file system?
> Thanks. Please send a cc to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An NT partition is _not_ hpfs -- RedHat's Disk Druid (and others I'm
sure) just think it is.  It is actually NTFS.  The 2.0 series of kernels
does not support NTFS.  Read-only support is included in the 2.2 series.
I've got it up and running in 2.2.3 now.  However, I can't get it to
compile in 2.2.5.  I get an Error 2:

dir.c: In function `ntfs_push':
dir.c:70: warning: integer constant out of range

Has anyone got this to compile under 2.2.5?

--
====================================
Joshua Baker-LePain

------------------------------

From: Jef Verdonck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: I killed my Linux box
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:59:51 +0200

Fertimport Porto Alegre wrote:

> Had the same problem here. I did post a msg in this ng, but had no
> feedback till now :-(

Hi,
I once had a similar problem when, in a moment of utter stupidity, I was
moving some libs around (but forgot to have some copies in the original
location) then your system can't find its basic commands (it is
something like deleting your command.com when you're in a dos session).
The solution is to boot from an independant boot disk (ie not your
redhat boot disk, but the rescue disk set would do fine I believe) mount
your partititions and restore whatever is wrong with your libs and/or
with your dynamic loader.

greetings,

jef

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph L. Wood, III)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Idea:  Make a seperate "i686" tree for Redhat Linux 6.0
Date: 31 Mar 1999 12:33:56 GMT

David Fox <d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u> wrote:
> "Idea Man" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?  Keep the i386 tree, and
> > add an i686 tree that is optimized for P-II/Celeron/P-III processors.
> >
> > This might be a pain in the butt for the mirrors (more hard drive space
> > used), but for some mirrors this would be just fine.  This would also make
> > Linux higher performing for all the people with flashy new Pentium-III
> > machines...
>
> How much performance improvement would there be?

Probably none.  If the compilers don't emit the new instructions, there is
no gain.  In fact MHz for MHz some of the older processors might be faster
for LINUX.  This is especially the case for the 500Kb cache Pentium PRO
versus the Pentium MMX or Pentium II.  There were probably microcode
improvements made between the PII and the PIII, but these would be
marginal.

The original case for RISC processors was an observation of that code
the Ritchie C compiler of the '70s produced.  The argument was to use
the available real estate on the chip for cache and registers as opposed
to fancy instructions which were seldom used even by the most sophisitcated
compilers.  Therefore, in order to take advantage of the instruction
you have to jump to an assembler routine and most of your advantage is lost.

Anyway operating systems hardly ever use floating point or graphics
instructions like bitblt, bit-block transfer.  All the fancy graphics
stuff is done in user level applications code like X or in games.

Joe Wood