From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: help me choose license
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 00:12:12 GMT

steve mcadams writes:
> I'm sorry, I still am not getting this, and am starting to feel pretty
> dumb.  Why could the GPL version not go in any of them?  Is there no GPL
> code in any of these?

GPL code can and does go into Red Hat and Debian and onto Cheap Bytes
CD's.  GPL code can be sold.

> I'm not sure what "Open Source certification" would do for me.

Something similar to what a "Made in USA" label does for a clothing
manufacturer.  It assures people who can't or won't understand your license
that your library is free, gets it on various lists of free software, etc.

> For the GPL version, or the proprietary version?

The GPL, of course.  Proprietary code need not apply.

It would be better to get in the habit of thinking of two licenses and one
version, though.  The hackers are not likely to contribute if they think
that your proprietary version contains stuff not in the free one.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Fleming)
Subject: Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux?
Date: 2 Jan 1999 10:20:41 GMT

On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 05:31:22 GMT, Eric Hardwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 scribed into the Great Tome of Farnarkling:
> Greetings,
>       Having happily moved from Win95 to Debian Linux recently, I am
> trying to find replacements for all the programs I typically ran under
> Win95 (Which I am dual-booting when I need to use an app that I
> haven't found for Linux). Under Win95 I use Forte Free Agent for
> reading usenet news. It works great since I can read the articles
> later, after I am offline.

(BTW, I'm almost 100% certain that FA will run with WINE, although the
details escape me. I'm an ex-Agent user, FWIW.)

> Question is: Which newsreader for Linux (X or console) has these
> features.
>
> 1. Allows offline reading.
> 2. Follows threads.
> 3. Must work with dialup PPP connection to NNTP server.

Slrn and slrnpull (reader and news-pulling mechanism respectively) or the
leafnode "mini-newsserver" and any news reader that takes your fancy.

> The ones I have looked at so far (but none in great detail) are Knews
> and Emacs-Gnus. Knews didn't seem very robust and wasn't offline.

There's a knews-daemon package in the contrib directory that allows knews
to read a spool, IIRC. BTW is knews being actively developed still? I haven't
heard of a release for what seems like aeons..

>I am still looking at Gnus (which I like).

Yeah, it's got some fairly unique features (it's the only reader I know of
that groks NoCem messages, for instance)

> I have no problem with complicated interfaces but it needs to have the
> features mentioned.
>
> Please let me know what you are all using for usenet reading?

Currently:
slrn 0.9.5.3, with INN 1.7.2 + suck-3.10. (which is a little more complicated
than necessary but the setting up is an education.)

Check http://appindex.freshmeat.net/ for leafnode + slrn, which seem to be
the sort of thing you're looking for.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Eric Hardwick

Michael Fleming.

- --
Michael Fleming -=(UDIC)=- / Mallet Wielder
PGP Keys from homepage or keyservers
Home Page: http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/
Nuke a spammer for the deity of your choice today!
"Bill Gates isn't the Devil - Satan made sure Hell worked
 before he opened it to the damned..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Fleming)
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: 2 Jan 1999 10:31:36 GMT

On 01 Jan 1999 15:50:51 -0500, David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 scribed into the Great Tome of Farnarkling:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
>
> -> (edit)
> -> >
> -> > Don't email to people who munge addresses. (edit)
> ->
> -> I endorse this sentiment. I frequently reply to questions by
> -> E-mail only to subsequently receive an " undeliverable " message,
> -> even though I try to decipher a "proper" E-mail address.
>
> My feeling is that when a question is asked in a news group, it should
> be answered in a news qroup.  With DejaNews being available, it should
> not be an excuse, "I don't get to read this group often."  Or
> whatever.

Fair call, IMO, but those who insist on using the X-No-Archive header
(which is pretty useless as an "anti-spam" measure) make this a little
more difficult.

> Those people who do bother to follow the groups for
> answeres, or use DejaNews can then possible benifit from the answere
> without having to post the same or similar question again.

Yep - that's the whole point of having newsgroups, is it not? :-)

> So, what is the spam situation now?  I have been fairly active in
> several news groups, and my trashcan is not receiving much spam.  I
> don't think I've seen any for a few weeks.  Could the ISPs be finaly
> cracking down?

You're lucky - I'm still getting a couple a day, which is down for me..
I am _very_ active in spam-fighting (read news.admin.net-abuse.email and
subscribe to the SPAM-L mailing list) and LART any spammers that dare steal
my time and resources ("free speach!!!!1!!" my arse..) but alas the fight
is far from over..

ObLinux: Good to see more and more antispam features in programs like
fetchmail 4.7.x - saves writing more procmail rules

ObBlatantPlug: http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/antispam/

> --
> David Steuber
> http://www.david-steuber.com
> s/trashcan/david/ to reply by mail
>
> "Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
> computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
> for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

s/Hackers/Spammers/
s/computer systems/mailspools/
s/viruses/scams/

:-)

> -- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

- -- CS Student Michael Fleming.

- --

From: "David Sisk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oracle/Linux connect internal question
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 19:35:14 -0500

Hi Unix Gurus:

I've got Oracle8 for Linux installed and working (at least, most of it,
anyway).  I can connect internal using svrmgrl while logged into the O/S as
the oracle user (the account owning the software), but if I try connecting
internal while signed into the O/S as myself, svrmgrl asks for the internal
password.  The ORACLE_HOME/bin path and environment variables are set for
both the oracle user and my own userid.  (I recall that with AIX, you have
to set TWO_TASK  = P:, although I'm not sure exactly what this does.)  How
do I correct this?  Please respond via email as well as posting here?

Thanks and regards,

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Subject: Re: Argh, MP3 player does not work!
Date: 2 Jan 1999 16:12:17 +0300

Igor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Something is strange with my system...

: I am tyring to get it to play MP3 music. I downloaded xamp and xaudio.

: Both give me troubles, when I try to play music all I hear is white
: noise. Any suggestions why?

: I have linux 2.0.35, a PAS16 card with SB emulation, Pentium 90 CPU,
: and 64 megs of RAM.

Try mpg123. But first, make sure that you can play normal WAV and AU
files.

: At this moment, I am at a total loss. Any help will be appreciated.
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
: char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

:                 \=/,         _-===-_-====-_-===-_-==========-_-====-_
:                 |  @___oo   (                                        )_
:       /\  /\   / (___,,,}_--=                                          )
:      ) /^\) ^\/ _)        =__       Anything is good and useful if    )
:      )   /^\/   _)          (_                                        )
:      )   _ /  / _)            (         it's made of chocolate.        )
:  /\  )/\/ ||  | )_)            (_                                     )
: <  >      |(,,) )__)             (   http://www.algebra.com/~ichudov   )
:  ||      /    \)___)\             (_                                  _)
:  | \____(      )___) )___           -==-_____-=====-_____-=====-___==
:   \______(_______;;; __;;;

I have tin news and pine mail...
Victor Wagner @ home       =         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 02 Jan 1999 06:41:12 -0500

Randal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> I have my news program set to both email and post to group. I figure that the
-> person may not check back to the group quickly and I assume that whn a question
-> is asked, the person asking wants an answer. Sometimes desparately.
->
-> I used to use nospam at the front of my return address, then just decided that
-> I know how to use a delete button. <grin>

Well, if the person is really desperate, a DejaNews search may be
faster.  Many questions are FAQ.  Failing the DejaNews search, posting
to the news group is just fine.  But one shouldn't expect an email
reply.  What you are doing is a curtousy that won't work on munged
addresses.  For example, when you CC'd me via e-mail, your message
landed in my trashcan account.  It is a legit account, so I did get
and read the message.  If I replied via e-mail, I would have had my
primary address in the from header.

As far as deleting the mail goes, you are probably doing that after
you received it already.  If you are like me, you have a slow link.
Who wants to burn up time receiving junk mail when the call is a toll
call, as it is in my case.

I like to receive mail from people.  I find it very disapointing when
my only mail is from spammers or cron.  At least I can pipe cron to
/dev/nul.  I wish I could do that to the people who compose the spam.

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Infringement of the GPL
Date: 02 Jan 1999 07:37:42 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:

-> >As for all that crap from Sams and Que, I bet the author makes squat.
-> >Those books need all those dumb screen shots and computer generated
-> >code as filler to hide the fact that even a good author just can't put
-> >in the time necessary to turn out quality work for such a publisher.
-> >Those publishers aren't interested in quality anyway.
->
-> There was a really good article about this; see:
->   <http://photo.net/wtr/dead-trees/story.html>
->
-> "This document exists to
->      - explain how I ended up writing a dead trees computer book
->      - convey what it is like to work with a publisher on a project like
->        this
->      - expound my theories on why computer books are so bad
->      - show off my great new theory on why celebrities are often so
->        miserable"
->
-> The book was sold by Macmillan as "Database Backed Web Sites," whilst the
-> author wanted to call it "How to be a (small type) WEB WHORE (big type) just
-> like me (small type)."
->
-> The story is *well* worth reading by anyone that has ever been contacted by
-> a publisher suggesting that "Wouldn't it be cool for you to be an author?"

I remember this story well.  I lost my bookmark though.  Thanks for
posting the URL.

When I read the story a while back, I felt anger at Que for treating
him in such a shabby fashion.  Sure, a company exists to make money.
But these people were like GM ("We're not in the bussiness of
publishing books, we're in the bussiness of makeing money").

I went looking for that book after reading the guys story, but I
couldn't find it.  I wonder if Amazon can get it?  It seemed to me
that it could well be the one book the company ever published that was
worth buying.

Sams though is the worst of the worst.  I wonder if there was ever a
time when they accidentely published something worth buying.  Sams
seems to use the philosophy of more paper makes a better book.  So few
of their books are under 1000 pages.  In that 1000 pages there might
be one or two pages of useful content.  It is sickening.

O'Reilly is something of an upstart.  I am very impressed with them.
They publish very good books without the profits from University text
books or other high end technical books to fall back on.  They also do
something that I think is very important.  They publish thin books.
The best book on a computer language ever written, in my opinion, is
Kernigan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" published by
Prentice Hall.  I have a first edition, and that is what I learned C
with.  Look how thin that book is.  There is no fluff, just pure
content.

That is what makes a good computer book.  Lots of information in a
fairly small number of pages.  All the good books share that
property.  All the bad books have the exact oposite aproach.  This is
particularly so in Windows land.  Pick up a book on MFC programming
and you are pretty certain of seeing the same computer generated
source code repeated in every chapter.  The amazing thing is, these
books sell.  If they didn't, they wouldn't be published.  I wonder if
this has any relation to the quality of software.

It actually seems to be a systemic problem.  Acidemic standards are
falling in an age where they need to be rising.  With more people on
the planet, statisticaly there should be more smart people around.
The problem is, they are surrounded by idiots.  I think we are living
in some kind of twisted comedy.  Either that, or I am deprived of
sleep and am no longer coherent.

From: "Andrew Haines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Unix vs Windows NT
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:19:08 -0500

Check out http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/games/dungeon/nethack/

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WordPerfect 8
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 20:52:03 -0500

If the file you downloaded was the guilg00.gz this file has been named
wrong.  Rename it to guilg00.tar.gz  The same goes if it was the multi
piece download.  Rename each file to gui0x.gz to gui0x.tar.gz  Put the
file(s) into a temporary directory (doesn't matter where).  Then extract
with the usual "tar zxf guilg00.tar.gz" or "tar zxf gui0x.tar.gz" for
each one, and then do ./Runme.  I got it installed the other day and am
very pleased so far.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

------------------------------

From: Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Process refuses to die
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 00:34:13 +0000

Running ps aux, and top, they both report a couple of strange processes.
They are both due to Netscape Communicator, and have consecutive pids.
One of them is a zombie, and apparently has been going for 6 days, and
top reports that it is consuming 93% of the CPU. I can't kill either of
them, the kill command is accepted, but nothing seems to happen. I'm
sure rebooting will get rid of them, but I keep thinking there should be
a better way to do it. Has anybody experienced something similar before?

Regards
--
Paul Griffiths

------------------------------

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's FUD
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 21:01:50 -0500

It stands for "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt".  It's a tactic used by
companies to attack their competitors when they don't have any real
ammo.  For a *very* complete explanation - with historical examples -
take a look at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html

From: Mike Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Process refuses to die
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 21:03:08 -0500

Have you tried "kill -9 PID_of_offender"?  That outta do in most any
errant process.