Linux-Misc Digest #444, Volume #25               Mon, 14 Aug 00 12:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware (mst)
  Re: KVM Mouse Problems (James Garrison)
  unallocated partitions during install.... ("Dennis Leiterman")
  Re: Red Hat Linux / Windows NT dual-boot ("Melvin M. Meadlin II")
  Re: removing Gome panel (Ed Hurst)
  Re: COMMERCIAL: 4U Rackmount Dual-CPU server (Kenneth P. Stox)
  Re: linux and NT cannot see each other ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: KVM Mouse Problems-Solved (James Garrison)
  Re: unallocated partitions during install.... (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: Red Hat Linux / Windows NT dual-boot (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: sshd/Linux problems (David Steuber)
  Re: converting win partition to Linux...safely? (Rod Smith)
  File Sharing on Dual Boot ("Andy Robinson")
  Re: Ghostscript error (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.17-pre* (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: Ghostscript error (Eric Eekhof)
  cronjob: disable email notice (Lily Fu)
  Booting from a different kernel image ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problem w/jdk 1.1.7 (YamYam)
  Re: cronjob: disable email notice (Andreas Kahari)
  Re: KVM Mouse Problems ("Rex Dieter")
  in.telnetd? (Doug O'Leary)
  Re: in.telnetd? (Prasanth A. Kumar)
  Re: Booting from a different kernel image (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: in.telnetd? (Doug O'Leary)
  Re: Booting from a different kernel image (Akira Yamanita)
  Help: Linux crashes ("JP")
  Re: How to redirect serial port to eth0? (Tom Roberts)
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! (David Steuber)
  Re: Help: Linux crashes ("Peter T. Breuer")

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape dies suddenly on slackware
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:13:25 -0400

"Peter R. Schmitt" wrote:

> Hi, guyz
>     Got a quandary here, and searching deja isn't helping.
>     I've had this problem with netscape abruptly terminating on slack 7
> when I close a spawned (open new) window. It does NOT dump core, or
> leave a lock file. It just plain goes away.
>     This aggravates me. Any clues as to what is causing this?
>     I also find that netscape data transfers sporadically stop for no
> particular reason, and then resume when I move my mouse. What's up with
> THAT? I've seen that very same symptom on very different hardware combos
> so I doubt that hardware is an issue. No other apps behave that way.
>     Clues???
>     Pete.

Yup, it does that. Fault of Netscape, you're not doing anything wrong.
Hopefully Mozilla will be more stable.

MST

------------------------------

From: James Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: KVM Mouse Problems
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:18:39 -0500

PS/2 Mouse.  It works fine with the mouse plugged in directly...
In both cases I'm using the same type of mouse.

Denver Timothy wrote:

> What kind of mouse is it?

James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    5608 Parkcrest Dr
http://www.athensgroup.com                    Austin, TX 78731
PGP: RSA=0x04B73B7F DH/DSS=0x70738D88         (512) 345-0600 x150

------------------------------

From: "Dennis Leiterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: unallocated partitions during install....
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:25:47 GMT

First, a disclaimer, new to Linux.  That being said I wonder is anyone can
shed some light on the install
and disk parititioning.  I have three hard drives, first two dedicated to
Windows 98.  The third one I
just installed as a primary on the secondary ide channel.  I deleted the
paritition and proceded with the
Linux install (Red Hat 6.1 by the way).  I get to the disk druid and try to
created parititions, I first
created the swap space with 100 meg, things ok so far.  Then when I try to
create the boot or
root partition I get the error message stating "unallocated partitions
exist" with the error message
of "reason undefined".  I have looked on RedHat's site and searched the
newsgroups but
haven't found anything yet  Thanks in advance.

-Dennis

------------------------------

From: "Melvin M. Meadlin II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux / Windows NT dual-boot
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:24:31 -0700

Alan Magrath wrote:

> I am running Red Hat Linux 6 on a server and need to reboot it so that
> it is running Windows NT on another partition. What utility do I need
> to run or file do I need to change in order to cause the system to
> reboot using NT?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and make sure the NT partition is listed, then just above
the linux information put default="<nt label>"

where <nt label> is what appears in LABEL= ... in the NT section.

Afterwards, type lilo and you should see linux and nt with a * next to the NT.
--
__________________________
Melvin M. Meadlin II

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: removing Gome panel
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:29:31 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am runing a gnome workstation on redhat linux
> 6.2
> i have recently upgraded my window manager to
> enlightenment 0.16.4.  now i want to remove the
> panel so it dosnt mess up the look of the themes
> im using. any response on how to do this would be
> greatly appriciated

You can set its properties to hide, or you can click one end to move it
off to the side, but I don't believe you can make it completely go away
as long as Gnome is running. It's simpler to shut Gnome down and run
Enlightenment alone. You will still have access to all Gnome and KDE
utilities, due to Enlightenment's built-in compatibility.

Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Stox)
Subject: Re: COMMERCIAL: 4U Rackmount Dual-CPU server
Date: 14 Aug 2000 14:26:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This week we have special price for
> 4U Rackmount dual PIII 700Mhz system.
> The system is pre-installed with Redhat 6.2 or FreeBSD4.x Linux software
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FreeBSD is not Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: linux and NT cannot see each other
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:29:44 GMT

Solution found: I got a hub and used that in place of the direct
crossover cable.

Before I had tried this, I talked to a friend who told me to try taking
down the linux network interface and then bringing it back up
('ifconfig eth0 down' followed by 'ifconfig eth1 up') after the network
has gone down due to the NT machine being rebooted.  I did this, and lo
and behold, the network connection came back up.

This told me that when the NT machine is rebooted, it causes something
at the hardware level between my 2 Netgear cards and the crossover
cable to get out of sync, and when I take the linux network interface
down and back up, it resets something, and the network gets back in
sync.

Or better yet, network hubs are real good at syncing things up.  When I
tried using the hub instead of the crossover cable, everything was fine.

From: James Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: KVM Mouse Problems-Solved
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:46:46 -0500

GPM was not the problem.  However, when I changed mouseconfig
to generic ps/2 (it was set to intellimouse) everything
started working.  It's strange that it was working with a
directly-connected ps/2 mouse.

Thanks to all of you whose questions pointed me in the
right direction :-)

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: unallocated partitions during install....
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:49:27 GMT

Try putting the boot partition at the start of the HD. I believe
Disk Druid is written in such a way that it needs either the boot
partition or the root partition, if you do not have a boot partition,
before sector 1024. With newer BIOSs and with the latest version of
LILO, this should no longer be an issue, though I am not sure whether
the latest version of LILO has made its way into any distributions
yet.

Andre

http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:53:20 GMT

In article <8n8t1s$slj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Alan Magrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am running Red Hat Linux 6 on a server and need to reboot it so that
> it is running Windows NT on another partition. What utility do I need
> to run or file do I need to change in order to cause the system to
> reboot using NT?

You will need to configure LILO properly in order for this to work.
Check out the following link for a copy of the LILO mini-howto:

  http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: sshd/Linux problems
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:00:04 GMT

Xiaotian Sun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' For details, please refer to the document.

Which, with all due respect to the authors, sucks.  I couldn't get SSH
to work at all.  I ended up going with OpenSSH which has the benifit
of being free.  The docs for OpenSSH are worse.  However, I can do SSH
logins and scp, so I've gotten farther with it.

In both cases, I built from source rather than going with RPMs.

I am wondering what will happen when I move my server over to my ISP
and the name and IP address change.  I hope to use the same
certificate on the server.

Isn't configuring a Linux system fun when you have no clue? (referring
to me, not you)

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: converting win partition to Linux...safely?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:02:50 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <8n7fdt$aa0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti) writes:

> I have a win partition that I'd like to scrap and convert to a
> ext2 filesystem in a safe manner such that, assuming I don't screw up,
> I can leave my linux partitions intact.  Can this be done?

Yes.

> Assuming I make it past this step, in order to access this partition
> when booting into Linux do I simply need to add an entry to /etc/fstab
> and/or /etc/mtab?

/etc/mtab is a file that's handled by the OS itself; you should never
touch it. To access your partition, you should do three things:

1) Change its partition type using Linux's fdisk. This will prevent
   Windows from trying to use it. (If your system will now be
   Linux-only, this step may not be required, but I'd still recommend it
   to avoid confusing Linux installers whenever you upgrade your OS.)
2) Create a new filesystem on the partition. Presumably you want to use
   ext2fs on it, so you'd use mke2fs or mkfs -t ext2 (they're exactly
   equivalent).
3) Add or change the /etc/fstab entry for the partition to mount it
   someplace convenient. If you want to use it to store files you
   already have (say, to store /usr/local or some such), then you'll
   need to transfer those files in some way and delete them from the
   original partition. The usual way to do this is to temporarily mount
   the new partition somewhere convenient (like /mnt/floppy), use tar or
   cp to copy the files, and to remove the original tree. You can then
   change /etc/fstab, unmount the temporary mount, and type "mount -a"
   to get everything mounted the way it should be. If you want to do
   this for any critical system files, you may need to do it from a boot
   floppy or some such.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Andy Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: File Sharing on Dual Boot
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:06:42 -0400

I have Windows 98 and Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 setup as a dual boot
system.  I got the file sharing from windows to linux working (in linux
using windows files) but is it at all possible to get files from linux into
windows?  they are on the same drive but in different partitions.  Also, is
it possible for me to be in Linux and connect to the internet thru Windows?
Linux wont detect my modem, but if I could use an X Window or something to
connect, that would be great.  Thanks!
Andy

------------------------------

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ghostscript error
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:55:23 GMT

> I've made a document using LaTeX and want to export it to pdf-format.
> No problem with that, but to make it even more beautiful, I want to
have
> an index and thumbnails in my pdf.
>
> The index works fine, it's the thumbnails that give me a headache.
> Everything works out fine until a thumbnail has to be made from a page
which
> includes an eps-file. At that moment I get the following error:

[SNIP]

Can't help you except to say that you will probably have more luck
in the comp.text.tex newsgroup.

Andre
--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.17-pre*
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:59:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Hymers) wrote:
> I am running kernel 2.2.16 and am having problems with the message
> VM:do_try_to_free_pages failed for various programs.  This entirely
> locks out my system.  I have been told that upgrading to the latest
> 2.2.17-pre* (i.e. test) version of the kernel will help but I can't
> find it at kernel.org.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the latest
> version either as a whole or as a patch file from 2.2.16.

Not sure, but how big is your swap partition.

Andre

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Eekhof)
Date: 14 Aug 2000 15:24:12 GMT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:55:23 GMT, Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can't help you except to say that you will probably have more luck
>in the comp.text.tex newsgroup.

Just posted in comp.text.tex and gnu.ghostscript.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Lily Fu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cronjob: disable email notice
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:26:03 -0400

Hi,

For some reason, I need to set up a cronjob running every minute.
The cronjob then sends me an email notice everytime the program
runs, the emails clogged my email box.

Is there a way to disable the email notice from cronjob?

I am using RedHat 6.1

Thanks,

Lily

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:22:36 GMT

Hi,
   Can we specify which boot image to be used at LILO Prompt?
Thanks in advance

Sandy

From: YamYam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem w/jdk 1.1.7
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:29:44 GMT

William W. wrote:

> I've installed the version of jdk1.1.7 that's part of the current Debian
> stable release. I let apt set everything up, and it didn't produce any
> errors.  Whenever I try to run javac, java or any of the other binaries,
> I get the following error (newlines added by me):
> /usr/lib/jdk1.1/bin/../bin/i686/green_threads/java: error in loading
> shared libraries:
> /usr/lib/jdk1.1/bin/../lib/i686/green_threads/libjava.so: undefined
> symbol: _dl_symbol_value
>
> Anyone seen this before?  I'm running with glibc 2.1.3; do I perhaps
> need libc5 support for this?
>
> Thanks.

I had the same problem, but I've downloaded the latest version of jdk1.1.7
from blackdown.org (I think is jdk1..1.7_v3), and it worked.

   -YamYam.

Subject: Re: cronjob: disable email notice
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 14 Aug 2000 17:36:58 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lily Fu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>For some reason, I need to set up a cronjob running every minute.
>The cronjob then sends me an email notice everytime the program
>runs, the emails clogged my email box.
>
>Is there a way to disable the email notice from cronjob?
>
>I am using RedHat 6.1
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lily

Redirect the output of STDOUT and STDERR to "/dev/null" by appending
"> /dev/null 2>&1" to the command line in the crontab file.

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# ...brought to you from Uppsala, Sweden.

------------------------------

From: "Rex Dieter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:43:16 -0500

Same thing happens occasionally to me with our Blackbox switch.

To fix, I usually have to either restart X or reboot the Blackbox.

This assumes, of course, that the mouse is configured correctly to begin
with (avoiding Intellimouse setting).

--
Rex Dieter
Computer System Administrator

"Jim Garrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> We have a Belkin OmniPro 8 port KVM switch that does not work
> with RH6.2.  The mouse behaves as if it is receiving a continuous
> random stream of up, right and click messages. The cursor stays
> in the upper right corner and jumps back there if moved away.
> Needless to say, it is unusable.
 RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

------------------------------

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: in.telnetd?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:47:21 -0500

Hi;

I seem to have lost my /usr/sbin/in.telnetd, possibly due to Mandrake
6.0 updates; however, more likely due to my son hitting the master power
switch and the resulting fsck's.

Can someone please tell me what Redhat package the telnet daemon belongs
to so I can go get the thing again?

Thanks.

Doug

------------------------------

Subject: Re: in.telnetd?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:40:36 GMT

Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi;
>
> I seem to have lost my /usr/sbin/in.telnetd, possibly due to Mandrake
> 6.0 updates; however, more likely due to my son hitting the master power
> switch and the resulting fsck's.
>
> Can someone please tell me what Redhat package the telnet daemon belongs
> to so I can go get the thing again?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Doug

telnet-server

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:50:04 GMT

>    Can we specify which boot image to be used at LILO Prompt?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sandy

Sure. This is my /etc/lilo.conf file. Edit as necessary but you
should get the general idea. Basically you compile the new kernel,
move it to your boot (or root) partition, then add an entry for
the new kernel.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=old_kernel
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda8

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda8

------------------------------

From: Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:58:25 -0500

Never mind; I got it from Redhat.  Thanks!

Doug

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:51:18 GMT

>    Can we specify which boot image to be used at LILO Prompt?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sandy

Sure. This is my /etc/lilo.conf file. Edit as necessary but you
should get the general idea. Basically you compile the new kernel,
move it to your boot (or root) partition, then add an entry for
the new kernel. At the LILO prompt, I type either "old_kernel" or
"linux". The default, if I don't choose one, is "linux" as defined
by the "label=" line.

From: "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Help: Linux crashes
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:55:10 -0400

We have been running Slackware kernel 2.0.38 for a year.  Unfortunately,
over last two months, the Linux box seems to be very unstable.  It crashes
with a blank screen and all the connections are dropped.

There is no error messages I can find on the /var/admin/messages file.  We
are only running a very simple Linux firewall using IPFWADM and an email
application too.  I don't notice any problem with disk space and free memory
either.

What could be the problem?  Any recommendation for trouble-shooting would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

Joe

------------------------------

From: Tom Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to redirect serial port to eth0?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:55:16 -0500

Mihaly Gyulai wrote:
> I have a data stream coming in a serial port.
> I wish to redirect the data stream to eth0 (?) and to capture it with
> TCP (?) in another machine on the intranet.

You will need to make a TCP connection between that other machine and
the Linux box which is collecting the data stream. You will also need
to run some sort of copy command from the data stream's serial I/O
device to the TCP connection.

For instance:
        On "other machine" telnet to the Linux box and log in. then
        issue the shell command cat /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever serial
        device is connected to your data stream). The data stream will
        come to the other machine as the stdout of the telnet command,
        so you can redirect it there. Note you may need to use
        "setserial" to configure /dev/ttyS0.... If "other machine"
        runs a sensible OS you could put all this into a script there;
        but if it runs Windows this may be difficult....

Other methods are certainly possible (e.g. open the connection using
Java or Perl or C/C++ on "other machine")....

Tom Roberts     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:00:02 GMT

"Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Damn, your message started out the same way mine did. :-)
' Anyway, for those thinking of replying to the blatent SPAM,
' I already reported it, look for the subject of this SPAM prefixed
' by UCE.

Good.

It's a real shame that the physical address of the spammer / UCE
abuser is not published somewhere after it is determined that the user
has indeed committed a TOS violation.

I think a law should be passed making this sort of thing a crime.  A
crime punishable by having the physical location and home phone number
of the abuser published so that some wacko and take bloody
retribution.  Better yet, if the spammer, like Sanford Wallace (sp?)
is within driving distance of the Philadelphia area, he can be tossed
into the Skuykill (can't be spelled right by anyone) river while live
and tied to a chicken.  The South Street bridge would be an excellent
launch point.  The Delaware river and the sewage treatment outlet pipe
are down stream from that point.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Help: Linux crashes
Date: 14 Aug 2000 15:59:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc JP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: We have been running Slackware kernel 2.0.38 for a year.  Unfortunately,
: over last two months, the Linux box seems to be very unstable.  It crashes
: with a blank screen and all the connections are dropped.

: There is no error messages I can find on the /var/admin/messages file.  We
: are only running a very simple Linux firewall using IPFWADM and an email
: application too.  I don't notice any problem with disk space and free memory
: either.

: What could be the problem?  Any recommendation for trouble-shooting would be
: appreciated.  Thanks.

If you didn't make any software changes, then it's hardware. The first
suspect is heat. That means your ventilator on the cpu. Is it still
turning?