From: Jason Kircher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: equivalent of edit?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:42:30 GMT

Personally, my favorite is joe.

--
                                        -Jason Kircher

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Password questions
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:01:46 GMT

With a recent spat of hacker activity, it's come to
my attention that a couple of machines on our network
suffer from weak passwords on user accounts.  Is
there an easy way to:

- Expire all accounts and force the users to choose
  a new password at next login
- Set the min/max values for all accounts (at the
  moment, they're blank)
- Reconfigure 'passwd' to only allow non-stupid
  passwords (i.e., no dictionary words, no username-
  as-password...)  Right now it warns against,
  but will still allow, weak passwords.

We're running Slackware 3.5.  I did a Dejanews search looking
for this info, and all I found was stuff on PAM, which
I believe would break lots of server processes we've got
running (samba, netatalk, others).

At the moment, TCP Wrappers is keeping us safe, but
I'd like to open the doors back up with secure user
accounts (and syslogd keeping tabs on auth.*).

Thanks much!

- Chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Subject: Re: glibc2.1.x + gnu.org 'political issues'??
Date: 5 Mar 1999 17:25:09 GMT

jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What are these political issues that keep gnu.org from distributing glibc2
>updates?

Well-informed rumour on gnu.misc.discuss has it that the "political issue"
is that glibc's compilation instructions recommend using EGCS
(http://egcs.cygnus.com) rather than FSF gcc to compile it on (some|all)
platforms.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling a c++ program
Date: 04 Mar 1999 14:39:29 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann) writes:

> I'm trying to make a program written in C++.  When I run the makefile, I
> get the following output:
>
> cc  -O3 -g -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-format -W
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -I -fno-strength-reduce
> -DREGPARAM="__attribute__((regparm(3)))"  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I./
> -DBROKEN_JOYSTICK_H= -DFRODO_HPUX_REV=0 -DKBD_LANG=0 -o main.o -c main.cpp
> cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
> make: *** [main.o] Error 1
>
> I can manually compile main.c using
>
> g++ -c main.cpp
>
> with no problems,

since it works with g++, why not give in and use g++!  it's not all
that hard.  use make CC=g++.  sometimes the answer really *is* staring
you in the face.

;-)

> though when I try
>
> gcc -c main.cpp
>
> I get the same problem.  The problem program in question seems to be
> located at
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/egcs-2.90.29/cc1plus
>
> Anyone know what the problem might be?  I'm betting that it's a
> path-related problem somewhere, but this is the first time I've ever tried
> to make a program written in C++, so perhaps I'm missing something?  Any
> help would be appreaciated.

the problem is that your gcc is probably a different program from your
g++.  gcc 2723 being required to compile old stable kernels and g++
from 2723 being a poor c++ compiler, many distributions ship egcs as
the g++ compiler.  the egcs c compiler may even be known as egcs
instead of the default gcc.

hope this helps.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: "Larry Jansch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Cable Modems with Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:17:04 GMT

Bob Deep wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Bill Unruh wrote:
>> Use IP Masquarading of the first computer to the second Linux machine
>> connected to the cable modem and the net.
>
>It is possible that this would violate your agreement with the cable
>company and it is possible for them to tell you are doing this.
>
>So... They may shut you down for Masquarading for another box, but I
>doubt they would even notice...
>
>-= bob =-

TCI included a blurb with their cable modem paperwork about this. It
said that it was possible to route IP from their network to your
internal network, allowing you to use one of their IP addresses to
service multiple machines, but they were NOT going to provide any
technical assistance. YOYO - You're On Your Own.

They also said that if you wanted to run a web server, your address
would be {hostname}@{areaname}.{state}.home.com. Ditto on tech support.

-Larry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Robbins)
Subject: as86: Command not found
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 18:06:54 GMT

When trying to compile the 2.2.2 kernel, I get the error:

        as86: Command not found

In which library can I find this command.  I already have gcc-2.8.1
installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: netcape + freshmeat.net then crash?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:24:38 -0700

Matteo Corti wrote:
[...]
> >> I had the same problem with several Unix variants (Linux, SGI). The only way I
> >> found so far to prevent crashes/freezes of Netscape was to disable JavaScript.
[...]
> I experienced the same problem with RedHat 5.2 and the following kernels:
> 2.0.36, 2.2.0, 2.2.1 and netscape 4.5.
> SuSE 6.0 with the same set of kernels and same netscape versions works
> without problem.

I had this problem and fixed it by downloading and installing the glibc
unsupported
version of 4.5.  This version is more stable but, unfortunately, doesn't
come
in a 128-bit version (as yet).

I am running RH 5.2, kernel 2.2.1, and KDE 1.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer)
Subject: Re: AMD questions
Date: 4 Mar 1999 13:27:33 -0700

Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 >I know that there is a bug in MS Windows 95 that causes a lot of problems
 >with AMD K6-2 CPUs at speeds 350MHz and higher

Micro$oft has a patch file I downloaded & installed on my wife's K6-2
350 & it's a ton more reliable now.  Well, about as reliable as one
can expect of ANY system running Win95!!
--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky  |               *             <>
<>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |    _o      *   o *      o   <>

------------------------------

From: "Sebastian Claussen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X artifacts after X is shutdown?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:11:18 +0100

Michael Proto wrote:

> I'm currently running Redhat 5.1 with XFree86-3.3.2. I recently upgraded
> to XFree86-3.3.3.1 using RPMs from Redhat's ftp site. Since I've
> upgraded, I have a problem where X leaves little white artifacts on the
> screen when its shutdown and returns to the console. These white
> "blotches" appear in random places throughout the screen each time,
> usually 2cm long and 4cm tall. It doesn't happen all of the time;
> usually happens after X has been running for over 15 minutes. If I
> restart X, then immediately close it again, it disappears.

I have the same "blotches" using XFree86.3.3.1, Matrox Mystique 220 (4MB) and
(1600x1200 virtual) 1024x768 Res 16b, to me the position of the "blotches"
seems to be connected with the position of the mouse pointer before the
x-server shuts down.
But since I have to _work_ with my computer I don't have time to download stuff
and look for tiny hidden readme-files that might help ;-)
Sebastian
--
http://www.rhw.uni-muenster.de/~claussen/
ICQ 12955882

------------------------------

From: Jesus Borruel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Solaris CDE
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:45:58 +0100

I have tried as you say, but I get the message:

can't open the DISPLAY <IP of Linux>:0

Any ideas about the reason why this happens?

Thank-you,

Jesus

------------------------------

From: "James R. Bunch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New kernel messages
Date: 5 Mar 1999 18:23:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I have compiled a new kernel since I wanted to try some new things and get rid
: of some of the things I didn't need in the kernel that came with Redhat 5.0
: (kernel 2.0.32). The compile went fine but when the boot gets to the "checking
: module dependencies" line about 100 messages flash by all with the form:
: "/lib/modules/2.0.32/misc/ipx.o: unresolved symbol(s)". I know what this is
: saying but why? Why is the kernel trying to resolve the symbols for all the
: modules I didn't configure in the kernel? The two modules I did configure seem
: to be working fine. The kernel goes on to boot O.K. and seems to be working.
: But why these messages? Did I leave out a step in the compile?

Well ....

The compile, as such, probably went just fine.  But there's more to rebuilding
and _installing_ the kernel.

The messages are from depmod, which looks at the module files in
/lib/modules/x.yy.zz/* (where for your case x.yy.zz => 2.0.32), and
at the kernel module symbols built in when you built that kernel via
'make xImage'.  If there's a mismatch you get an error message.

You probably had a 'one size fits all' Red Hat kernel and installed full
module support.  So /lib/modules/2.0.32/* held _lots_ of files you
weren't ever using.  You now have configured the kernel for what your
system actually needs, and you didn't configure in module support for
those items you don't need (but which were supported in the 'out of the
box' kernel.

The result is that now when the new kernel loads you get lots of whining
because of the mismatch.

To fix it do this:

        cd to /lib/modules/

        rename 2.0.32 to 2.0.32.a (just to keep it as is in case you
        need to go back to it).

        cd to /usr/src/linux

        do a make modules

        do a make modules_install

        do a depmod -a 2.0.32

This will rebuild the module files so you have just what you need in
/lib/modules/2.0.32, and will rebuild the dependencies.  You should now
be able to boot without that flood of error lines.

Be aware that if you want to go back to the 1st kernel you will have to
rename the working 2.0.32 to some other name and rename 2.0.32a back
to 2.0.32.  You should not need to rerun depmod.

For more info do a man depmod.

Once you're 100% happy with the way your new kernel is working you can
remove 2.0.32a and its contents.

HTH
--
=============================
James R. Bunch         "A Byte is a terrible thing to waste ...

PGP Key available via finger
PGP Key fingerprint =  B5 31 10 77 BF B0 FD B2  10 54 CB E6 13 7C 26 58
==============================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 18:07:01 GMT

Beta was by far the supirior format and to this day is in wide spread use.
The better does not always win the war. The fact of the mater is. Beta was
more expensive to produce, and in the day of the format wars, when VCR's
still cost an arm and a leg. And video's were still pricey.... This was a
substantial factor. I own a large digital recording studio to this day see
beta come in on work prints as well as masters. Keith

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 23:15:55 GMT

In article <2kED2.69706$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Seawood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So who decides what the major components of that single OS are?
>The copyright holders of the individual pieces?  The distributors?
>Or do we go the route of the least common denominator of packages amongst
>distributions?

The judge or jury in the trial when someone sues over copyright
infringement.

>: > 4) If a dynamically loaded module under the GPL is considered to be a
>: > derivative work of a proprietary product, is there a violation of the
>: > GPL?
>:
>: RMS says yes.  I say no, as long as your work as distributed does not
>: contain any portion of the GPL work (this may not be practical).
>
>Is there any practical way to refute what RMS says?  As writer of the
>license, he obviously has insight to what the license should mean but
>what if his interpreation of a scenario is based upon what he wants the
>license to say rather than what it actually does say?  I'd hate to think
>that going to court would be the only way to resolve these differences.

RMS knows what he intends, but he's also making judgement calls about what
copyright law truly allows him to enforce.

>Since copyright law only concerns itself with copying, why would
>dynamically loaded modules be considered derived works if there is no
>copying involved?  From what I've read, they shouldn't be.

RMS's theory is that copyright law hasn't quite caught up to the state of
the art.  Dynamic linking is effectively equivalent to static linking, and
it makes no sense to him that the law was intended to allow one when the
other is prohibited.

>: Reread the GPL.  It can't be the end user because the GPL does not limit
>
>I never said the end user was performing the violation.  If there is a
>violation, then who is doing it?  Could it be that there is no actual
>violation but only the potential for one?  The GPL doesn't say anything
>about use so the combination of the proprietary product and the GPL'd
>module is only a violation if the combination is distributed as a *single
>product* if I'm reading the GPL correctly.  Existing on the same media
>isn't enough to declare it a violation since the GPL explicitly states

RMS's theory is that distributing the GPLed work and the non-GPLed work
along with the instructions for how to link them is functionally equivalent
to distributing a pre-linked binary (which would be a derivative work).
Although this is technically "mere aggregation", it's clear that the intent
is to achieve the result that the GPL is meant to prohibit.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 18:31:08 GMT

In article <7bnegc$ioh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <LuED2.169$Ey6.9013@burlma1-snr2> Barry Margolin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>RMS's theory is that copyright law hasn't quite caught up to the state of
>>the art.  Dynamic linking is effectively equivalent to static linking, and
>>it makes no sense to him that the law was intended to allow one when the
>>other is prohibited.
>
>But it is vastly different. In the one case the distrubutor copies the
>work and distributes the copy and in teh other the distributor does not.

Somehow the dynamic library got onto that machine, so it must have been
copied as well.  If the end user copied it in order to link it with the
proprietary program, then perhaps the distributor of the program could be
considered liable for contributory infringement.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Changing Job Priority
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 17:57:48 GMT

I have a NeuralNet that I want to train in the background 24 hours a day.  I
want to have it suspend processing when I am using the computer for other
tasks.  The ideal model for what I want to do is a 'screensaver' that takes
over control after some period of inactivity and then stops processing when
the mouse is moved.

Is there any software that manages the priority in some way?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: 5 Mar 1999 12:45:15 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Keith G. Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>C Lamb wrote:
>>
>> Alexander Viro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> : In article <nYjD2.948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> : Steven Michael ROBBINS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> : >
>> : >Dollar
>> : >
>> : >The origin of the almighty dollar is in what is now the Czech Republic.
>> : >In 1519, a silver mine near the town of Joachimstal (literally "Joachim's
>> : >valley," from the German Tal, meaning valley) began minting a silver coin
>> (Needless to say, this requires lots of :)'s)
>>
>Smiles or not, I suspect what Mr. Viro was *really* doing was pointing
>out the etymological relationship between "dale" and "tal".  Weren't
>you?  :-)
        Yes, and you won 5 hours of wading through the off-topic stuff in
c.u.b.f.m ;-)

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.