From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: In defence of UNIX man pages
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:22:16 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Tom Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Yes, the Linux manpages are an embarrassment.  Take, for example, the
>manpages for tty(4) or diff(1) on a Linux systems compared with those
>on a BSD system.  It would be laughable if it didn't make you cry.

The Linux manpages are generally written by users.  If you have ideas
for improvement, implement them yourself and submit them to the folks
who maintain the pages you changed.

>And that's why abandoned Linux for BSD whenever I need to get real
>work done.

I generally don't depend on man pages when I need to do real work.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: Claude Chaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to uninstall packages?
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:40:40 +0200

>-->I'm using RH6.0, which doesn't come with glint.  I'm relatively new to UNIX,
>-->and I'm wondering whether or not there is a command line sequence that can
>-->locate a package and uninstall it.

you ca use
        rpm -e myPackage
(where myPackage is the package name without extensions (.i386.rpm))

>-->Also, is it dangerous if I just use the "rm" command to delete programs?  The
>-->main reason that I want to avoid removing programs via that method (aside from
>-->that it would be time-consuming) is that I'm likely to miss certain files.
>-->However, I'm wondering whether or not it's bad for the system to just delete
>-->programs that are installed in the system without a complete uninstallation.

The purpose of rpm is to be sure you don't remove anything that is still
needed by some other application. That's the only diference with rm
(except that rpm knows which files belong to which package while I often
don't). This works quite well if you only install apps using rpm. If you
compile yourself some progs you can never be sure you won't need that or
that library. (actually you can try and uninstall the libs, see if your
apps still work, and if they don't put the lib back).

                                Claude.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 17:45:04 -0700
From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.setup
Subject: Re: JDK stops working after RH6.0 upgrade

Ben Sandler wrote:

> I had installed the JDK 1.1.7 from Blackdown under RedHat 5.1.  It was
> working fine.  Then, I upgraded to Redhat 6.0, and I get the following
> error when running java or javac or appletviewer:
> /local/jdk117_v1a/bin/../bin/i586/green_threads/java: error in loading
> shared libraries:
> /local/jdk117_v1a/bin/../lib/i586/green_threads/libjava.so: undefined
> symbol: _dl_symbol_value
> Java running from Netscape still works.  The above path to java is
> correct and hasn't changed.

On the Java-Linux mail index there is this msg:
==========
I upgraded to the 1.1.7v2 and it fixed this. You might try the latest
1.1.7v3

=============
> Anyone know what's wrong???
>
> Thanks,
> - Ben
>
> --=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
> Ben Sandler
> email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu
>
> The Roman Rule
>         The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the
>         one who is doing it.

HTH.  Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

------------------------------

From: "Kevin MacPherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Subject: SB Vibra16 Problems.
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 22:09:49 -0400

Has nayone had any experience with a SB Vibra16 PnP Sound card.
I try to get it to install but under Sndconfig when it goes to test I get a
Modprobe error?

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:24:53 -0700
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!

> Whereas an expert might save time using autoinstall, it's most
> certainly a waste of time for a beginner. If there's a distribution
> like the one I'm describing here, please advise me.

Give Slackware a shot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Proper use of /usr/local (Re: The Best Linux distribution?)
Date: 16 May 1999 21:23:30 -0500

In article <7hi4q4$qi2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7hhm6i$38i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
>
>> Hindsight is easy, but that is never the way it works.

>Okay, let me see if I have this straight:
>
>- You install the distribution version into /usr
>- You test the distribution version

Getting closer, but the the need for a local version may not
be immediately obvious.  It may happen as a result of new
developments during the life of the OS version.

>- You fix whatever problems you find and install the final version into
>/usr/local

'Final' here means a copy that does not match the distribution and
that may or may not be something I want to keep after a distribution
upgrade.

>That means you're using /usr as a staging/testing area for /usr/local.

No, it means that I don't have to concern myself with the contents
of /usr to the extent that the distribution version is fine and
a normal distribution update will probably not hurt anything.

>/usr - system files
>/usr/local - user customized files
>/opt - distribution files
>
>That way, your distribution could install optional packages into /opt,
>without risking overwrite of your stuff in /usr/local *and* without
>intermingling system and non-system stuff.  I'd think that would make
>everyone happy.

I could live with that.  Perhaps when the decision was made to dump
all of the add-in distribution packages no one had any idea just
how much there would be.

  Les Mikesell

From: WORLOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: KPPP and lock up problems.
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:23:36 GMT

I had the SAME problem after upgrading from 5.2-6.0.

Wanna know the answer?  In the KPPP config, there is a button that tells
KPPP to change your machine hostname to the one that you get from the
ISP when you connect and get your IP address.  It always worked fine in
the prior Redhat.  My machine name would be changed to "PPP01" or
something like that while my PPP connection was up.  Something changed
in 6.0 where when you try to run something after you are in this state,
Linux thinks you are trying to run the app to an unauthorized terminal.
Just uncheck the button and it *should* relieve the problem.  Worked for
me...  let me know if it works for you!

I also had a problem where the new install changed the permissions on my
modem device and PPPD couldn't use it.  Really messed me up for awhile.
I wish that the Redhat "upgrade" didn't screw with that stuff.  I
recompiled my custom 2.2.9 kernel anyway to support my ATAPI CDRW and
stuff, so now she hums.

Rgds,

Worlok

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>,  "Peter DeSimone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BE9930.662F2C00
>
> I just upgraded to RedHat 6.0, and tried to run KPPP, well it works, =
> after it connects nothing else runs. I can=92t start a File Manager =
> window, Netscape, or anything.=20
>
> What is wrong?
>
> Is there another PPP program can use besides KPPP?
>
> Peter
>
> --=20
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Peter DeSimone
> Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web Address:  Http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimonp
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BE9930.662F2C00

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dx-user-defined" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV>
> <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>I just upgraded to RedHat 6.0, and
tried =
> to run KPPP,=20
> well it works, after it connects nothing else runs. I can=92t start a
=
> File Manager=20
> window, Netscape, or anything. </FONT></P>
> <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>What is wrong?</FONT></P>
> <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>Is there another PPP program can use =
> besides=20
> KPPP?</FONT></P>
> <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>Peter</FONT></P></DIV>
> <DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>--=20
> <BR>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT face=3DArial>Peter DeSimone<BR>Email
Address: =

href=3D"http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimonp">Http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimon=
> p</A></FONT></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20

size=3D3>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++</FONT></DIV></BOD=
> Y></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BE9930.662F2C00--

--
===============================
Windoze NT has crashed,

From: Peter Englmaier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Power Fail Disk Corruption in Linux? (was: MS Challenges Linux
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 22:35:56 -0400

It does regularily update. That is done by the 'update' program
which is run von /etc/inittab. That is why you may hear a regular
click from the hard disk during normal use. You can specify the delay
time
or stop it completely if you want to. For laptops there is
a special version to minimize disk access. You may even call
the program 'sync' to force an update after some critical
operation. In addition, the logger program (syslogd) makes a 'fsync'
after writing a new message. This is often turned of to increase
performance but on by default.

------------------------------

From: Julio De Gregorio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epson drivers
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:00:21 -0300

Hi!

    I have a EPSON Stylus 600 and I remember that during Red Hat 6 Installation I
was asked about my printer:
I chosed the 600 driver, and after that I was asked about what resolution I
wanted. There were 360x360, 720x720 and 1440x720.
I chosed 720x720, and now I can only print on that resolution.
- How do I change the resolution at print time ??
- Or should I create 3 printing queues one with each resolution?? (If this is the
answer, how?)

Thanks a lot!

-= Julio =-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: DVD movies on Linux ?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:47:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Robert Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This may be a little off topic and I don't want to start a flame war,
> but I am curious. Why would someone want to watch a movie on a desktop
> computer? I have never understood this. The comfort factor would be my
> biggest objection. Then again, if you have a 36 inch monitor and your
> desktop is a studio screening setup...
>
> Bob Brashear

It's a valid question and in addition to the other good responses I
would add that my television can't be adjusted properly to view DVDs.
The aspect ratio is a tad too tall and the overscan crops a bit from the
left and right sides of the picture frame. Regarding the picture quality
on my cheapola 15" monitor, although the image may not appear as crisp
as it does on my TV set, the colors are truer, the screen is flatter, I
can adjust the aspect, there are no visible scanlines, and the image
looks softer, almost as if it were being projected onto a movie screen.
The 3d/depth effect is really quite amazing.

mike

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Exhaustive testing of a suspect hard drive
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 04:32:32 +0100

howdy

>My question: Is there a way I can thoroughly scan the disk for bad
>sectors and surface problems? Something like scandisk under dos,
>perhaps?

i have an app that dose lowlevel checking of hardisks..it is from the
gateway boot
disk...you can get this from the gateway web site or if you want i can mail
you the
app,. you need to have a dos boot disk for it to work..

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: SB Vibra16 Problems.
Date: 16 May 1999 20:00:40 -0700

I got mine to work by using
modprobe sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 03:24:43 GMT

According to Kevin MacPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Has nayone had any experience with a SB Vibra16 PnP Sound card.
> I try to get it to install but under Sndconfig when it goes to test I get a
> Modprobe error?

Go read:  http://linux.umbc.edu/fom/fom-serve/cache/75.html

Also, be aware that there are several different versions of the SB16
PnP, so what works fine for someone else may not work for you...

-p.

------------------------------

From: jhull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Network: Can I use Crossover Cable Instead of a Hub?
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 23:38:09 -0400

Thanks Brian!

After recompiling the kernel and install the correct driver for the network
card, it is working great!

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Lundstedt)
Subject: Re: FIXED(?): Staroffice/glibc problem
Date: 17 May 1999 05:51:45 GMT

Peter Englmaier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
Peter,
I tried all this and still nothing.  Is there something I could have
done wrong?  I'm trying to INSTALL so I copied the setup binary to
setup.bin, fired it off and I still get the standard libraries missing
errors and then setup terminates without doing anything. I *don't* get
errors from the rc.binfmt script, but I do get the echo statement.  Is
this ok?

Carl
thanks

: 1) install the rpm's for
:       compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1
:       compat-libs-5.2-1

: 2) install the appended wrapper file in
:       /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/ld-wrapper
:    and do
:       chmod a=rx /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/ld-wrapper
:    This file will be used to run old applications.

: 3) install the appended rc.binfmt file below in /etc/rc.d/
:    make it execute:
:       chmod a=rx rc.binfmt
:    run rc.binfmt to activate it. If it produces error
:    messages, you probably have no misc. binary format
:    compiled in the kernel.    You want to call the
:    file from /etc/rc.d/rc.serial as well (add a line
:    saying '/etc/rc.d/rc.binfmt'.

: This works as follows: when the kernel is asked to 'execute' a
: binary with extension '.bin', it runs the wrapper file instead.
: The wrapper loads the binary with the 'right' loader. To run
: other old binaries, e.g. 'goodie', simply do:
:    mv goodie goodie.bin
:    ln -s goodie.bin goodie

: BTW, if somebody finds out the 'magic' bytes of old binaries,
: the script could be triggered using the magic fingerprint.

: Peter.

: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ld-wrapper:
: #!/bin/sh
: # wrapper for old glibc binaries

: p=`basename $1`
: if [ "$p" = "soffice.bin" -o "$p" = "psetup.bin" -o  "$p" = "setup.bin"
: ]; then
:   exec /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path
: /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH "$@"
: fi
:
: exec /lib/ld-linux.so.2 "$@"

: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rc.binfmt
: #!/bin/sh

: if /sbin/modprobe binfmt_misc.o ; then
: # clear register first
:    echo -1 >/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/status
:    REGISTER=/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
: # old glibc
:   echo ':oldglibc:E::bin::/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/ld-wrapper:'
: >${REGISTER}
: fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: proc filesystem
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 05:03:59 GMT

Maybe someone in this group could answer this question I have about
/proc.  How come when I type 'mount' at the command-line, the line for
/proc is listed as "none on /proc type /proc (rw)"?  Does this mean that
the proc fs is not mounted since it should say /proc instead of none?
Probably a stupid question, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
-Ben

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 22:45:58 -0500

Floyd,
    On the contrary, I do understand the difference between man pages and other
documents.  Within their purpose they can still be well or poorly written.  I was
responding to the original post on this thread that connected newbies and man
pages.  Not every newbie who complains about man pages does so out of laziness.
    My comments were also aimed at the snobbish stuff like yours at the end of your
post.  There is a big difference between stupid and ignorant.  Ignorant wants to
know and will listen; stupid doesn't care.  I'm just glad your condescending
attitude reflects the minority.  If you don't mind us newbies ignoring or hating
you, keep doing the same.  It won't cause me any pain.  I just thought it should be
clear how the human side of this issue figures in.  It is germane to the original
posting.

Ed